Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 85 ( Chapter 85 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Many thanks to everyone who is reading and hugs to all for the very kind reviews - your feedback is very much appreciated.
 
“Going For Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 85
 
Our next competitor is Treize Khushrenada riding Romefeller from Australia,” the commentator boomed out. The crowd cheered and applauded as the tall man on the equally tall horse rode into the arena. The rest of the Australian team applauded and cheered as well, each one hoping that Treize would be able to keep his concentration and Romeo would listen to his rider to give their team the first clear round of the competition.
 
He looks calm but determined,” Duo noted.
 
That's Treize, always a professional,” Heero replied.
 
If he can keep Romeo focused then he should do a good round,” Noin stated as she sat down with her team after returning from wishing Treize all the best.
 
Zechs flopped down into the vacant seat next to Duo and closed his eyes.
 
You're not going to see much that way,” Duo teased.
 
I'm not sure that I want to watch,” Zechs returned.
 
Awww, don't say that. We're the support crew, remember? It's our duty to watch and suffer through the torment of bitten nails, hair balls and mild coronary attacks.”
 
Zechs looked down his nose at Duo. “Do not remind me.”
 
If it helps you any, I'm sure Noin would be happy to perform CPR on you if the need should arise.”
 
Zechs visibly paled. “You wouldn't...”
 
Duo just grinned.
 
Treize collected his horse up and sent the bay into a slow canter towards the judge's box. Bringing the stallion to a halt, he saluted and then rode towards the start. The judge rang the bell and Treize turned Romeo for the start flags. The beam broke and they were on their way.
 
Nice and easy, Romeo. This is the big one, the one we've been training for so we need to get it right,” Treize whispered to his horse as he settled the stallion into his rhythm and rode at the first fence.
 
Romeo cocked back an ear. He could feel the tension in the air, sense the importance through his master's body and tone of voice and he softened through his back, allowing his rider to sit deeper and guide him. The first jump appeared before them and Romeo pricked his ears. He selected his take off point, lengthened out his stride and then pushed into the air.
 
The bay stallion cleared the first fence easily, swinging slightly left and following the hand that guided him. The second jump lay ahead and Romeo's eyes widened a little at the sight of the barrels lying underneath the rails. He hadn't done a lot of jumping over barrels and wasn't overly keen on the things.
 
Feeling the slight tension in his horse's gait, Treize knew it was the barrels that were giving Romeo a problem and he applied his seat and leg a little stronger, encouraging the stallion to go forward. “Nothing to be scared of, Romeo. They're just empty drums, they won't bite you,” he muttered under his breath.
 
Deciding these 'things' weren't anything to be worried about, Romeo gave in to his rider's insisting hands and leg and strode out. Hind legs came underneath and pushed the bay body up and forward.
 
That's the bug bear out of the way,” Heero murmured to Duo.
 
Bug bear?” Duo questioned with a raised eyebrow.
 
Yeah. Romefeller doesn't particularly like barrels.”
 
Ah, I see. Similar to Shini and his confusion with the hay bales?” Duo snickered as he answered.
 
You could say that. Shini won't get the chance to stop at those hay bales though. I'll be riding him forward with everything I have,” Heero replied.
 
Duo smiled at his lover. “I know you will, Heero.”
 
Romeo cleared the barrels with a few inches to spare; no way was he going to let any part of his body come into contact with those 'things'!
 
Good boy,” Treize praised and chanced a quick pat to the stallion's neck.
 
They continued on the slight left curve and lined up the third jump. This was the first spread on the course and Treize was sure to build the impulsion in Romeo's hind quarters. They bounded up to the jump, hooves biting deep into the dirt as the horse left the ground and soared into the air. They arched over the jump, front legs taking the impact of landing and then they were cantering away and on track for jump four.
 
* * *
 
Treize is jumping,” Trowa said and nudged his boyfriend. Quatre was curled up against his side and dozing lightly. Trowa smiled at the sight, the blonde inspector looked so innocent in his sleep.
 
Uh, what?” Quatre asked as he blinked open sleepy eyes.
 
I said, Treize is jumping,” Trowa repeated.
 
Ah, thanks.” Quatre remained snuggled against Trowa's side and shifted his head and shoulders slightly to watch the screen. “What's the score?”
 
Trowa chuckled. “Score?”
 
You know what I mean,” grumbled Quatre.
 
He's cleared the first three jumps and is about to take jump four. I couldn't tell you what the other scores were, I didn't write them down and I can't remember all these technical terms anyway.”
 
Where's Heero when you need him?” Quatre snickered.
 
Trowa smacked his lover lightly on the arm. “Smart arse,” he said with a shake of his head.
 
* * *
 
Romeo sailed over jump four and followed it with a clean pair of heels over jump five. Treize sat deeper into his saddle and collected the bay up, shortening the stride a touch and building the impulsion. The double was next and Treize wanted his horse not only on the correct stride, but full of impulsion too. Hands remained light on the reins as they contained the forward movement, seat and leg driving the hocks right underneath Romeo's body.
 
Three strides away and Treize came forward, giving with his hands and letting the energy flow. Romefeller launched into the air, front legs tucked against his body as his belly passed over the poles. Those legs unfurled and bore the brunt of the landing, then took another two strides before leaping into the air again and over part B.
 
In the stands, all the other team members breathed a sigh of relief.
 
Landing safely over part B, Treize sat down hard and did his best to bring Romeo back to hand. The big bay wasn't too keen and fought for his head. Treize kept his hands firm on the reins, preventing the horse from rushing off whilst using his seat and leg to steady the stallion and make the sharp turn from six to seven.
 
With Romeo's long legs, the bay had trouble turning quickly, Treize knew this and did his best to give the horse enough room to turn and retain the impulsion. They did turn, a little wider than Treize would have liked and they approached jump seven slightly off course. Doing his best to straighten the stallion up, Treize realized they were coming into the jump on the wrong stride; unfortunately, there wasn't a great deal he could do about it.
 
Wrong stride,” groaned Heero.
 
Shit! He's either going to have to put in a short one, take off right underneath the jump, or take off a distance away. Either way, it's going to be a difficult jump for them,” Michael said and bit his bottom lip, eyes never leaving the pair.
 
I don't think I can handle this,” Zechs muttered.
 
There, there, it will all be over soon,” Duo soothed and patted Zechs' arm.
 
You didn't happen to bring any Valium with you?” asked Zechs.
 
Sorry, can't help you out with that one, although I do have some horse tranquilizers.”
 
Zechs gave the other vet a 'look'. “I'll pass.”
 
Treize did all he could, lining up the jump and deciding it would be best for Romeo to take off a distance away as opposed to trying to change the stallion's stride. Romeo had enough problems with his long legs as it was.
 
The bay listened to his master's aids, eyed up the jump and then when he felt the increase of pressure from his master's set and legs, he dug deep and launched himself into the air.
 
I can't watch,” Zechs moaned and hid his face in Duo's shoulder.
 
He's going to really have to stretch to clear that,” Heero stated.
 
Or grow wings,” Zoe murmured.
 
Romefeller did his best, hind quarters sending the body up and forward, front legs reaching for the distance. It was a formidable jump when taken properly and on the right stride, but Romeo was an extra half a stride away when he took off and on a slight angle too. Despite his brave attempt, Romeo's front legs caught the top pole and sent it flying.
 
Fuck!” Heero swore under his breath.
 
Not good,” Duo muttered.
 
I think I'm going to be sick,” moaned Zechs.
 
Treize put the fallen pole behind him and concentrated on getting his horse back to hand. The stallion was only too willing to listen to his rider, the whack the pole had given him to his front legs had stung a little. Riding forward, Treize re-balanced the bay, collected him up and sent him on to jump eight.
 
Romefeller never blinked at the hay bales, he soared into the air and cleared them easily. The pressure eased on the bit in his mouth, legs against his sides pushed him forwards and Romeo lengthened out his stride. Turning the bay to the right, Treize pushed his horse on into a hand gallop and aimed for the water jump.
 
The pair shot over the water, all four hooves remaining dry and were quickly moving away towards jump ten. Knowing this was another difficult part of the course, Treize took an even firmer hold of his reins and sat deep, determined his horse would listen to him.
 
Romeo did, shortening his stride and bringing his hocks underneath himself. They cleared jump ten, jump eleven following within moments.
 
This is a nasty one,” Treize told his horse, a bay ear flicking back to listen. The stallion's stride was shortened even further, Treize sitting the bay perfectly and pushing the horse together underneath him whilst slowing the forward movement. Romeo was practically bouncing on the spot as Treize inched towards the triple.
 
That's it, Treize. Build up the impulsion,” Noin muttered, eyes glued to the pair in the arena.
 
Heero, Duo, Zoe and the others all held their breath as they willed the pair on.
 
Five strides away and Treize came forward a touch in his saddle, easing a little of the pressure off the reins and allowing Romeo to lengthen his stride a fraction. Four strides and Treize was taking his weight on his knees and through his ankles. Three strides and Romeo lost sight of the jump ahead, but it didn't matter, he'd already picked out his take off point and trusted his master to give him the signal. Two strides and Treize was forward, hands starting to slide up the neck as his legs came against the bay's sides. One stride and Romeo burst into action.
 
The back hooves dug deep into the dirt, muscles straining as they pushed the bay and his rider into the air. They soared over the first element and landed safely. One stride and Romeo was again airborne, Treize sitting as still as he could on the stallion's back as they arced over the jump. Landing on the other side, Treize was immediately there, set and leg driving his horse together, pushing the stallion forward for the two strides and then taking off again over part C.
 
Romeo stretched hard over the third element; it was wide as well as high. Front legs unfurled and reached for the ground that was rising rapidly to meet them, bones and muscle jarring slightly as they absorbed the impact of landing. Hind legs touched down and propelled the big bay forward and away from the jump.
 
Everyone in the stands drew in a shaky breath and smiles broke out on faces.
 
Is it over yet?” Zechs moaned from where he was still hiding on Duo's shoulder.
 
Not quite,” Duo replied. “They're safely over the triple and there are only two more jumps to go.”
 
Zechs peeked out and then decided the worst was over. He pulled himself upright and tossed his hair back over his shoulder. “Thanks, and sorry about that,” he said sheepishly to Duo.
 
Duo just shrugged it off. “No problem. You can return the favor when Heero's jumping.”
 
Just two more to go, Romeo,” Treize encouraged his horse. He could feel Romeo starting to tire and did his best to conserve what energy the horse had left. He sat quietly, urging his horse forward with his seat and legs, hands light on the reins and guiding the stallion towards the wall.
 
Just two to go, hang in there, Romeo,” Heero muttered.
 
He's looking tired,” Michael said softly.
 
Treize will look after him and get him to the finish,” Heero replied with more confidence than he felt.
 
Bay ears went forward, Romeo grunting as he put in the effort needed to get himself over the wall. His hind legs scraped over the top row of bricks, but nothing fell.
 
Just the gate and we're home, boy.” Treize soothed.
 
Gamely, the bay cantered on.
 
The gate was ahead, tall, but not a difficult jump. Steadying his horse, Treize drove the bay's hocks underneath and asked for one last effort. Romeo responded, body surging forward as powerful hind quarters pushed the stallion into the air and over the jump.
 
They landed cleanly and Treize eased his hold on the reins, steering Romeo for the finish flags and letting those long legs gallop on.
 
They passed between the flags stopping the clock and the crowd all cheered.
 
Heero's eyes glanced at the clock as he applauded and waited for the commentator to announce Treize's faults. He frowned
 
What's up?” Duo questioned when he saw the frown.
 
I think Treize has time faults,” Heero responded.
 
Shit! They did so well too.”
 
I can't be certain; we'll have to wait for the announcement.”
 
With that the commentator spoke. “Six penalties for Treize Khushrenada and Romefeller from Australia”
 
Damn! Two time penalties,” Heero cursed.
 
Time penalties or not, Treize still did a fantastic round,” Duo said.
 
Yes, he did. He should be proud,” Heero replied and then got up to go outside and congratulate his boss. Duo, Zechs and the others were hot on his heels.
 
* * *
 
Geeze, that's a bit of bad luck,” Quatre said as he listened to their commentator give out Treize's score and explain that there were two time faults and four jumping faults.
 
Guess that's the nature of the game,” Trowa replied.
 
I suppose, but I did so want Treize to go clear. I don't think there have been any clear rounds as yet, has there?”
 
Not that I know of, but I couldn't be completely sure. I'm not exactly keeping score here,” said Trowa, his tone amused.
 
I hope they give us an overall score at the end of the coverage then so we know where we're sitting in the placings.”
 
Heero should be on soon. Would you like a hot drink whilst we wait for the coverage to continue?”
 
I'd love a cup of tea.”
 
One tea coming right up.” Trowa pressed a kiss to the blonde's nose and then slipped out of the bed to make their drinks.
 
* * *
 
Well done, Treize,” Heero congratulated.
 
That was a great round, boss,” Joe enthused as he took Romeo's bridle and held the stallion still so Treize could dismount.
 
Thank you,” Treize replied and patted his horse. “He was a good boy, other than his wanting to gallop on and not listen to me for that turn to seven.”
 
It's quite tricky, isn't it?” Zoe stated as she patted Romeo.
 
Yeah, a bit harder than I thought it would be when we walked it.”
 
You rode wonderfully, Treize. Congratulations,” Noin said as she managed to get to the rider's side. “I'm really proud of you, of all of you.”
 
Thanks, Noin. I'm sorry we didn't go clear, and those couple of time faults...”
 
Noin dismissed the apologies with a wave of her hand. “It's okay, Treize. Now that you've ridden the course you'll know exactly what to expect in the second round and not repeat those mistakes.”
 
That's if we make it to the second round,” muttered Treize.
 
We will. The way the scores are going right now we will finish in the top ten and go through to the second round,” Noin replied.
 
Only if I don't make a total mess of it,” Heero moaned.
 
You won't,” Duo hissed. “Shinigami is going to shine out there. You are going to shine out there and don't you dare believe anything different, Heero Yuy. This is your goal, you're going to achieve it very shortly and represent your country in an Olympic Games.” Duo lowered his voice so only Heero could hear. “And I'm so damn proud of you.”
 
Heero had to swallow the lump in his throat. Duo was right. He was here, he was achieving his goal, and dammit, he was going to ride as if his life depended on it! He gave his lover a soft smile.
 
Noin and the others talked for a few more minutes with Treize before moving back inside the stadium to watch the remainder of the third riders. Joe began to lead Romeo back towards the stables, Heero and Duo following as they had to get Shinigami ready. Treize found himself alone with the one person he'd been aching to touch, to speak to, to hold - but that would have to wait.
 
Congratulations,” Zechs said softly with a smile.
 
Thank you,” Treize replied and gave a smile of his own. “Care to walk back to the stables with me?”
 
I'd love to.”
 
The pair walked in silence for a moment, and then Zechs suddenly found himself being pulled to one side. Next thing he knew, they were in the 'Gents' and Treize had him shoved into a stall, door closed and his arms wrapped tightly around him.
 
Treize inhaled the scent of his lover's hair, holding him close. Unable to wait any longer, Treize pulled slightly away and claimed his lover's lips in a torrid kiss. Zechs was surprised at first, but soon started to kiss back with as much vigor as his partner.
 
I've been wanting to do that for so long. I couldn't wait until later,” Treize whispered.
 
It's been torture trying to keep my hands off you too,” Zechs replied.
 
I need you so much. I just want to hold you, kiss you, feel you close to me.”
 
I want that too, so much it hurts,” Zechs replied and placed a tender kiss to Treize's lips. Resting his forehead against Treize's, Zechs' voice came out low and husky. “Tonight, when I have you all to myself behind closed doors I'm going to show you just how much you mean to me, how much I love you.”
 
Treize moaned and closed his eyes.
 
* * *
 
You want a hand, Joe?” Duo asked as they arrived back in the stables.
 
I'll be fine, Duo. Thanks for offering though. Treize should be here any moment and I'm sure he will want to check Romeo over so he'll give me a hand.”
 
Duo looked around but couldn't see any sign of Treize, or Zechs for that matter. “He might be a little longer than you think,” Duo muttered under his breath. He had a pretty good idea what would be holding the rider up, but he wasn't about to voice those thoughts aloud.
 
Well, if you need any help, just shout. I'll be giving Heero a hand with Shini.”
 
Okay, thanks.”
 
Duo disappeared into the locker and moments later stepped back out with the grooming kit in hand. Walking over to Shinigami's stable, he found Heero already inside and removing the stallion's rug. Setting the grooming kit down, Duo picked out a body brush and started work on the already clean coat.
 
Leaving Duo to brush the gray down, Heero fetched his saddle, bridle, jumping boots and saddle blanket, resting them on top of the stable door and entering. “Almost finished?” Heero asked.
 
Yeah, just got his tail to brush out and he's all done.”
 
Heero ran a hand down the satiny neck, Shini turning his head to nuzzle his master and see if he could smell any carrots. He was rewarded with one of his orange treats.
 
Duo held the gray whilst Heero saddled up; taking care to make sure all the hair was lying flat underneath the saddle blanket and girth. Once the saddle was on, Duo gave him a hand to put the jumping boots on, checking they were all buckled securely. The halter was replaced with the bridle and Shinigami was all set to go. Heero fetched his helmet and whip, leaving his coveralls on for the moment to try and keep his jumping attire as clean as possible.
 
I'll go take him out to the work area and start to warm him up on the flat. Once he's loosened up properly, I'll bring him down to the warm up arena outside the main one,” Heero informed his lover.
 
I'll come watch and bring a brush with me so I can tidy up Shini before he goes into the ring,” Duo replied.
 
Okay, I'll see you outside.” Heero began to lead Shini down the aisle between stables and out to the work area.
 
Duo packed away the grooming kit after keeping one brush aside and then went to follow Heero. As he walked between the rows of stables, he spotted Treize and Zechs on their way in. “I was just about to send out a search party for you two,” he said with a snicker.
 
Ah, needed to pay a visit to the bathroom,” Treize replied.
 
Yeah, I can imagine,” replied Duo with a knowing smirk.
 
Zechs blushed.
 
Lowering his voice, Duo spoke so only Zechs and Treize could hear him. “I know exactly what you're going through, it's so hard not being able to share a hug or a kiss of congratulations in public. Don't worry, Heero and I have also resorted to checking out the bathrooms from time to time.”
 
How is Heero coping?” Treize asked, changing the subject.
 
Outwards, he seems as cool as a cucumber; inside? Well, you know Heero, that's anyone's guess.”
 
I'll come down to the warm up area after I've seen to Romeo and have a talk with him, pass on what I learnt about the course.”
 
Okay, Treize. Heero would appreciate that.”
 
With a nod, Treize and Zechs left and Duo headed out to the warm up area.
 
* * *
 
Steady, Shini,” Heero soothed as he asked his horse to canter on.
 
Shini tossed his head and gave a small buck as he broke into the canter. He was feeling fit, full of life and eager to jump. Shini's senses picked up on the tension and excitement in the air. He knew this was something big, something special and he wanted to get out there and show them all what he could do. He really didn't want to be changing paces and going around in circles when he could be soaring through the air and doing what he loved best - jumping.
 
Knowing his horse was eager and keen to jump, Heero was even more determined to have the gray thoroughly warmed up and completely focused on him before he would even attempt any warm up jumps. This was a difficult course, probably the hardest course Shinigami had ever attempted and Heero wanted to be damn sure he had the stallion's full attention.
 
Noin and Treize joined him in the warm up arena, Noin working with him to curb the stallion's over enthusiasm whilst Treize passed on as much information as he could from his own experience over the course.
 
Once Shini was loosened up enough, Heero put him over several practice jumps. Gray ears cocked forward as they approached the jumps and Shinigami sailed over them all.
 
Treize disappeared back inside to catch up on the scores so far and returned within minutes to let them know how things stood at that point.
 
After Treize had completed his round, the remaining four riders had gone through. The New Zealand rider finished on twelve faults whilst the Norwegian had ten. The Frenchman went reasonably well, eight penalties being his score and the final rider from the Belgian team had some bad luck and finished with a total of sixteen faults.
 
In the current round of the number four riders, the German had eight penalties, Japan, ten and South Africa, eight. The Indian rider came out with twelve faults and the United Kingdom was currently on course.
 
They are going to be our biggest rival,” Noin stated. “From what I can remember of the faults per country so far, we're pretty close with the United Kingdom, Germany, America and Sweden.”
 
Great,” moaned Heero. “That's just what I needed to hear. Now Shini and I will probably go out there and make a complete balls up of it all.”
 
Now you listen to me, Heero,” Noin barked. “If you and your horse weren't good enough, you wouldn't be here. Stop with the running yourself down, get it together and get out there and give it your best shot. Don't you dare let this horse of yours down. He's a fine animal and deserves a rider who will compliment him and give him every assistance to do his best for his country.”
 
Heero's eyes widened a little at Noin's speech and he took a deep breath. Squaring his shoulders, he looked his coach in the eye. “I'll do everything I can to go clear,” he whispered.
 
Good. That's all I want from you, Heero. Just give it your best shot and I'll be happy regardless of what your score is. Now, please excuse me for a moment.” As she left, Noin gave Duo a wink and went to get the rest of the scores.
 
Duo felt a bit relieved. The pep talk Noin had given Heero was exactly what the man had needed. Duo knew it was just nerves, that Heero was more than capable of jumping that course. All he needed to do was have confidence in himself; it seemed Noin may have just given Heero that confidence.
 
Heero continued to walk Shini around, keeping the gray warm as they waited for their turn to jump. Treize disappeared and then reappeared to give them an update on the scores. The English rider had scored four faults, the Swede, eight. The Italian had come out with twelve penalties and the Irishman six. The American was currently in the arena and had eight faults so far. Wishing Heero good luck, Treize went back inside.
 
Heero Yuy?”
 
I'm Heero Yuy,” Heero replied to the steward.
 
Good. Please remain here, you're next to go.”
 
Duo walked over to the side of the arena entry with Heero. He gave Shinigami one last, quick brush over and then carefully placed his hand on Heero's knee. “Be safe,' he whispered.
 
Heero looked down to his lover and smiled. “I'll try.”
 
Duo fed Shini a carrot and petted the soft, gray nose. “You take good care of Heero for me Shini. Jump like you've never jumped before and make your dad proud.”
 
Shini happily crunched the carrot and eagerly eyed the entry to the arena. He knew his turn was coming very soon.
 
The sound of cheering and applause burst forth from the arena and the American rider exited at a fast trot.
 
Heero Yuy. You're in,” the steward called.
 
Good luck, Heero. I love you,” Duo murmured and checked Shini's girth one last time.
 
Heero leaned down on the pretense of settling his stirrup iron. “I love you too,” he replied in a whisper, placing a feather touch of his lips against Duo's temple.
 
Representing Australia, Heero Yuy riding Shinigami.”
 
Gathering up his reins, Heero urged Shini forward and into the arena.
 
This is it, boy. This is the one we've been dreaming of.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...