Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Wing One Shots ❯ A Summer Interlude ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*sigh* 2xR (sorta) just read…

A Summer Interlude

Relena licked the sticky drip of chocolate ice cream off the side of her hand. Her chocolate ice cream cone had chosen this time to abruptly melt in the hot summer sun, dripping over her, her skirt and the park bench beneath her. She diverted her glance to the braided-man sitting next to her, who handled his vanilla ice cream with a dexterity she envied. She watched as he kept it from dripping, while stilling chattering to her, looking at the passing people, and keeping his bangs out of his face. She sighed and stood up, heading toward the trash can.

"I'm done!" She announced to no one in particular, then she returned to her seat and proceeded to mop up the splotches of chocolate on her brand new white skirt.

"Aww, Princess, ya' didn't even finish half of your cone." Duo grinned at her, his violet eyes dancing in amusement at her predicament, aka the lovely brown-black stains on her skirt. Despite his protests on the behalf of her half-finished cone, he threw his out and reclaimed his seat next to her. She sighed and leaned back.

"So Duo, what was the "national emergency" that explains why you called me to this lovely little park."

"Oh, nothing really, just thought you needed a break."

"You dragged me out here, when I have amazing amounts of paperwork, due tomorrow, because I "needed a break"?" Her voice was wrought with sarcasm, making his grin widen.

"Pretty much." She sighed.

"Insufferable scatterbrain."

"Prim goody-goody."

"And what exactly is the problem with THAT?"

"You need to lighten up a bit Princess. Smell the air, see the birds, and relax a little." She scowled at him. A comfortable silence followed his proclamation, as she watched the seagulls screech annoyingly, and the people scurry back and forth. She spent an especially large amount of time staring at a family consisting of a young woman and man, a wailing baby and a huge dog that bounded back and forth across the sand. Relena couldn't help it as a wistful expression flowed over her face, as she mooned over what could have been.

"Whats up Queenie? Ya' don't look very happy." She smiled at Duo.

"I wanted that once." She gestured vaguely at the couple. He looked confused.

"What did you want?"

"That." She waved toward them again. "The family, the picket fence, the happy ending."

"Me too." She smiled at him.

"Really?"

"Yeh, I thought Hilde was my key to it, I was wrong tho'." She watched his face, which was unusually blank, Duo hadn't really talked about Hilde since they broke up about five months ago.

"What do you mean?"

"We just sort of realized we didn't have what the other wanted. She didn't want children, she didn't even want to get married. And after this one fight we had she just sort of left, and she didn't come back." His face was the portrait of regretful sadness.

"Hn. Better then Heero, one day he was just like, I'm leaving, see ya. After like three years of boyfriend/girlfriend, not that he ever SAID anything. But of course oral agreements are legally binding in the Sanq kindom." She gave a bitter little laugh then sighed. "He didn't even take his stuff. He just left a note, the gist of which was `I don't think it's working, bye.'" Duo turned to her and frowned then smiled. He grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet.

"Come on. No good hovering over the past, it'll catch up on it's own, doesn't need any help from else." She smiled back.

"Guess you're right. Hey Duo, do you still want the picket fence?"

"I'm not sure it exists anymore. You?"

"I don't know." They smiled at each other as they collected their belongings and started walking out of the park, leaving the couple, and the past behind, for the moment.

I really dunno. I guess it wasn't really 2xR, you decide…. You want a sequel just ask, it was sort of spur of the moment so I dunno….review, Ja ne!