Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Wing One Shots ❯ An Autumn Interlude ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*sigh* a sequel for the eight people who reviewed! 2xR hints.

An Autumn Interlude

"It's lovely, Duo." Relena sighed as she stared at the waves. She let the foam lap at her toes, numbing them to a delicious pain. She loved beaches, not just because of the nostalgic memories but because she had always loved the water and the sand. Duo and her had been wandering up and down this particular windswept beach for almost an hour. Mostly they would walk in a companionable silence, broken once and awhile by comments on random things.

"I love the sea." Duo looked particularly pensive as he stared out at the white-capped waves. She turned to him and smiled, a half hopeful, half wistful smile. And he turned to her and let the corners of his mouth tilt slightly. It wasn't his normal carefree grin, for that would have been out of place here, in this landscape of whispered promises and whistling winds. She was broken out of her reverie by his voice, low, lilting, and strangely comforting, like his very presence.

"Did you love him?" She needn't ask who "him" Duo was referring to. And as she stared out at the waves she admitted to herself she really didn't know. When she was with Heero she had felt dizzy, giddy, and she had followed him, because he offered that feeling and what she thought was strength at the time. She had been so sure; he was her one and only love. But now she really didn't know, and for that matter didn't really care.

"I don't know." Those three simple words were filled with a frustration, with herself, with Heero and with the way things worked out. "Did you love her?" Duo sighed and stared at the crashing waves for a few more moments.

"I think I did once." His voice held a low anger, she was guessing it was directed at himself, and a thread of fear. She didn't understand the whirl of emotions he put in those words and she didn't try too.

"Who-?" Relena ran closer to the waves before he could ask her another soul searching question. She knew she would have to answer him because he would stare at her with those soul-bending violet eyes and she would dissolve under his gaze, unmaking and remaking herself so he could see her inner workings. She ran until the waves sputtered at her knee-length skirt, drenching the edges until they felt as if they were weighted. He waited by the shore for her. When she returned in, they stared at each other a moment before heading back up the beach.

"Well, yet again I have missed…." She checked her watch "Three incredibly important meetings for this." He grinned at her as she attempted to soothe her wind-tangled hair, and dry the salty hem of her tan skirt.

"It was worth it wasn't it?" She turned to him, and when she saw the look he was giving her, laughed and returned to her pocket mirror.

"It was a lovely beach." He snorted, and then they drove back to the mansion in silence.

*yawns*

M. Yuy- There ya go!

Yuki- Oro…uhm….maybe later…

(No name)- *nod*

Lynderia- Sankyuu ^.^

Ley- Not like most of my other fics *grin*

Pixie Stix- Yes sap and kawaiiness is good….so is angst….

K-chan- Go 2xR! I'm forcing Ryuke-chan to do a 2xR challenge for me *evil laugh*

Winkie- Short fics are my specialty, it's `cause it takes me awhile to type stuff up.

Please review…..I dun think I'm gonna do another sequel but I might if the ante is high enough. *nods off to sleep*