Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Heero Potter: Year 01 ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Heero Potter Yr. 01
By Devon Masterson-Bond & Midori Bond
Chapter 19
 
AN: Sorry for the long wait. I had some things to work through
 
_________________________
 
Heero closed the last book in his stack and sighed as he looked out of the window. Already outside was settling into the fall season. It was almost Halloween and everybody was geared up for the feast, everyone except him. He was not in the mood.
 
“You should talk to her,” Wushu said from his usual place.
 
Heero ignored him. That was neither subject he was not in the mood for. He stood up and started to putting his books back and looking for the next set. “Mr. Potter you're being quite diligent despite the oncoming holiday season,” Professor Durmail greeted as he turned down the aisle. “Your two foot parchment on the uses of the curiously named Witch Hazel is done already?”
 
“I finished it last night, Professor,” Heero replied trying to fight the impulse to roll his eyes. The man was odd and always seemed to hang over him, drawing attention. Being himself brought enough spotlight his way. Of course it did not help that his roommates were back, though wiser, they still managed to get away with asinine pranks behind his back.
 
“Good, Mr. Potter. I'm pleased to hear that though sometime outside the library would be good for you as well. I was speaking to the Headmaster…”
 
Prussian eyes nodded. “There is no need to report my free time to my father. It is mine.”
 
“Now Mr. Potter…”
 
“Goodbye, Professor,” Heero walked away. Apparently he was going to have to make better use of his birthday present after hours.
 
“Good night, Mr. Potter,” Durmail gritted through his teeth. The boy was rude and arrogant. “Spoiled brat…”
 
On the other side of the library, Wufei sat intently reading. His browed furrowed as he read more on the subject that could very likely lead to trouble. He turned the page. There were still holes in the story, but it still did not look good. At first he thought Heero was just researching Oberon's Fountain for some sort of extra credit project until he came across the wizard Hiro Yuy. That was too much of a coincidence. Heero had been named for his grandfather that much they all knew, and his mother was a squib. This had to have something to do with her research.
 
Soft steps sounded behind him and he snapped up, “What do you want woman! I told you that…” his tirade lost steam as he met indignant brown eyes behind spectacles.
 
“I do not believe my intrusion warranted such a response, first year,” Victoria replied crisply.
 
“That was a misplaced attack,” he apologized. “I thought you were that tart bugging me again about Heero. She never stops.” Victoria's frowned deepened. Wufei cleared his throat. “Is there something wrong?”
 
“I was going to inquire about him as well since he no longer enjoys my company.” Victoria turned to leave.
 
“It's not just you,” he replied causing her to stop. He slid the book towards her. “Wushu showed this to me the other day. I think Heero is looking for it.”
 
Victoria picked up the book and began to look over the legend. “Why would Heero want to find the fountain?”
 
“I think Hiro Yuy is the factor. He's Heero's grandfather.”
“I see,” Victoria pulled out her globe. “Alert 02, 03, 04, 09 and the sun to the library.” Wufei looked at her curiously. “I made some modifications to mine in my off hours,” she commented while they waited for the other to appear.
 
“So exactly what happens when you alert us?”
 
“The globe will simply get warm and glow until you acknowledge it. Nothing traumatic as long as it is not an emergency.”
 
Wufei's eyes widened slightly. “What do you mean?”
 
“You gotta' tell me how you did that,” Duo said excitedly.
 
“Mr. Weasely,” the library warned.
 
“You gotta' show me that charm,” Duo whispered lowly to keep from squealing. Victoria shot him a look.
 
“I will do no such thing if you get us thrown out of here,” she threatened. Duo promptly closed his mouth and watched intently.
 
“So what's going on?” Quatre asked.
 
Victoria nodded to Wufei since he had more details. Wufei turned the book towards the blonde. “This is what he has been doing.” They all peered at the book intently trying to figure out what the theatrics were about.
 
“So this is about this mother,” Trowa concluded.
 
“This could be a problem,” Quatre sighed. “I wonder if he's looking for whatever the thief took from Ms. Rei.”
 
“What do you mean thief?” Duo asked. “We were told there was a cave-in and …”
 
Quatre shook his head. “My mother knows someone in the ministry and they told her that someone killed her and a muggle for whatever they were digging for.” He ran his hands though his hair. “She sent Heero away to get help and she was dead when he came back. They had to extract it from Heero's mind because he refused to talk about it.”
 
Victoria gripped her wand tightly. “I assume this person was never caught.” Quatre shook his head. “So if he finds this fountain, the thief may come after him as well since they and the fountain have to be connected.”
 
“We can't let him do that.” Trowa shook his head.
 
“And what is your plan to stop him?” Victoria asked. “Tell the Headmaster?”
 
“Heero would never speak to us again,” Duo pointed out.
 
“Much less trust us,” Wufei added.
 
“We can find it first,” Sunny suggested. “We'll help Heero…secretly and watch out for him.
 
Victoria nodded in approval. Duo hugged Sunny. “I love the way you think.”
 
“It's going to be dangerous,” Trowa frowned. He did not know what he not like more Duo's excitement or the potential trouble. Did he really have to throw himself at Sunny like that?
 
Quatre shook his head. “This is for Heero. I don't care. I would do anything for all of you. Without you…” his sentence trailed.
 
Victoria put her hand on Quatre's shoulder sharing his sentiment. “We have our course of action we just need to delegate tasks. Heero is already ahead of us. Our enemy will be close, he/she has to be watching since Heero is the closest thing to find the fountain.”
 
“Are we really going to take this on?” Trowa asked.
 
“Our best friend is in trouble. If we go crying to our parents, we'll lose Heero,” Duo reasoned.
 
“This is our problem,” Quatre added. “The real question is, are you in or out? If you are out we will bind you from telling.”
 
Trowa paused for a moment to gauge the seriousness in everyone's faces. “You can't do this without me.”
 
Victoria raised the intensity of her stare. “We will do what have to.”
 
“I am in but if it gets too dangerous we pull out.”
 
“That is a logical course of action,” she answered. Victoria leaned in closer. “Now that is settled we need start looking. Everyone do independent research and each night we will meet and compare notes.”
 
“Where are we going to meet each night without being caught?” Trowa asked.
 
“For now, the room where the party was held. I will work on a better place in the mean time.” Victoria stood up. “We better get back to our houses.” The others nodded their heads and parted ways. Victoria stood for a moment then smirked as a possible idea crept into her head. There were a few books she needed to check out.
 
19-19-19
 
 
The Halloween festival was the usual celebration. Only the first years bothered getting excited by the floating jack-o-lanterns and candles. The ceiling was a full moon with a single puffy cloud giving the room an eerie light. Naturally the ghosts were in rare form whooping, hollering, and frightening the occasional unsuspecting student. Even teachers seemed a bit lenient with class and homework.
 
Heero barely noticed his surroundings as he focused on his research. Normally he would consider living it up with the other but there was too much at stake. “Mr. Potter there is no need for such intensive study at festival,” Treize remarked. “What has you so driven these days?”
 
“None of your business,” he snapped not looking from his book.
 
“Ah, but the well being of all Slytherin is my concern. Plus I know someone with a crush on you that would not want you to study into oblivion. She has passed me a note to give you. Don't worry, I have not opened it.”
 
“Leave me alone.”
 
“You don't want the note?” Treize asked curiously. “Well take it anyway. My task is done.” He tossed the letter and it landed on the page that Heero was reading. Hero looked up and saw Victoria watching him on the other end of the table. The note did not look like her handwriting, but she may have used a charm on it.
 
“Meet me in the owlry at 9 p.m.,” the note said in curvy handwriting. It had been awhile since he spent time with her. Their lessons had stopped. Now he only saw her occasionally in the common room or on the grounds; always studying. A distraction could not hurt, just this once. He nodded slightly in Victoria's direction before getting up and leaving the hall. After a couple of weeks of isolation, he was glad for the diversion. Even Wushu was on the quiet side. He did not know whether to be annoyed, disappointed, or suspicious about their agreement to respect his privacy.
 
“Hey Heero, you're missing the feast,” Duo called as he caught up to him in the hallway. “Where ya' going? You don't talk to us anymore.”
 
Perhaps he had been wrong to be suspicious…it was all a matter of opportunity. “None of your business.”
 
Duo's jovial expression faltered somewhat. “Hanging out with new friends?” He put his hands behind his head but continued walking with Heero. “We go way back you know... if you have new friends or something's going on, you can talk to us.”
 
“I have things to do,” Heero walked faster. Quickening his pace may help him outrun the guilt.
 
“Fine then,” Duo stopped, allowing Heero to leave him behind then sighed. “Idiot. We're your friends.” He turned to leave when he saw Victoria standing behind him. Duo jumped. “Don't do that, Vic.”
 
Victoria rolled her eyes and continued on as though he had not used the nickname. They compromised after getting tired of cursing him when he called her Vicky. It landed them in detention everyday for a week. The boy was stubborn. The Headmaster negotiated for them suggesting to her that it was a term of endearment. That assuaged her irritation and they officially came to the `Vic' compromise. “You come across to strong,” she remarked.
 
“Really?” he asked walking behind her.
 
“Yes really,” she frowned. “Why are you following me?”
 
“Because yelling down the hall will get me detention,” he answered grinning. “You find us another place yet?”
 
“I have an idea but it is a difficult spell for me.”
 
Duo's eyes widened slightly. “Whoa, I didn't think it were possible.”
 
“I am a child after all. I can't be expected to know all,” she snapped.
 
“Hey don't get mad at me because you're just a kid,” he teased then smiled. “Hey ask Sunny about it. She knows just as much as you and Trowa, but is nothing like you.”
 
She stopped. “What is that supposed to mean, first year?”
 
Duo stopped as well. “It means that she will think of something that you wouldn't, second year. You know think out of the square.”
 
“Box. Think out of the box.”
 
“I'm still working on the muggle sayings.”
 
“Keep at it,” she replied walking away.
 
“Love you too!” He chuckled and turned the other way. The party was waiting for him.
 
Victoria walked towards the owlry. She had to mail a letter to Mrs. Granger, whom she promised to write while at school. It felt good to get mail. “Duo maybe on to something. I will have to see what Sunshine is up to.”
 
19-19-19
 
Heero reached the owlry then waited. Hedwig glided down to him and nipped him affectionately. the old bird was still a great message bringer even though she was getting on in age. “Hi,” he said simply.
 
“Heero?”
 
Said person turned around at the sound of the somewhat familiar voice. It was not Victoria. “Who's there?”
 
“I am so glad you came,” Relena sighed coming to move into view.
 
“You wrote the note?” his face blanched nut he managed to maintain his normal countenance. He was in trouble.
 
 
 
 
To be continued….
© 2006 Bond Girl Productions
We came, we read, we decided to kidnap the characters and make them do our bidding. We'll give them back unharmed, don't worry.