Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hell ❯ Ballroom Tragedy ( Chapter 39 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Ballroom Tragedy
 
Sarah, sitting down on the cracked pavement, leaned up against a chunk of a building. She was a lot thinner than before the war started and almost looked like a different person. She guessed the only people who'd recognize her would be Crystal and Heero since she was now down to her original weight when she first started this job. Baby weight was now completely gone. Her hair was shorter too, chopped up into layers. Even though she was on Earth she wore a black space suit with a helmet next to her. She was smoking idly staring off into space.
 
Crystal, also in a space suit, walked over to Sarah climbing over the debris and cracked roads. It had been three months since she had seen Blaine or even spoken to her parents. She only knew that the war hadn't made it out to the farm lands surrounding Villa. She sat down next to Sarah.
 
“Everyone is heading over to the Sanc Kingdom because Relena is letting refugees stay there.” Crystal paused seeing no change in Sarah's appearance. “There's also a party that we can crash for generals only.”
 
Sarah smiled and nodded. “Great. Assassins crashing Queen Relena's party, what else could be better?”
 
Crystal sighed and looked at the mobile suits resting in front of them. “Seeing Blaine again.”
 
Sarah snuffed out her cigarette. “If you want you can. I'm sure Victor wont mind if we wonder off for a while.”
 
“Right. Where would you run off to?”
 
Sarah shrugged. “I guess to see if Evan knows anything new. Or go find Trowa and beg him to come back with me.”
 
The girls heavily sighed. They already knew the answer on where they would go. Relena's safe Sanc Kingdom. They stood up and walked over to the army Jeep that had been left behind. This time Crystal got behind the wheel and drove off to the long line of refugees heading towards the border of the countries. She didn't waste time in following the line instead she went around zooming by the people crammed into their cars. Sarah watched them go by.
 
“Do you think General Mark is in with these refugees?” asked Sarah.
 
Crystal glanced over at her. “Just because he hasn't been found after this battle doesn't mean he's still alive.”
 
“Relena will open her doors to anyone. Maybe he's already there becoming friends with the good hostess.”
 
Crystal turned the corner and saw a long line and group of mobile suits almost parked outside of the Sanc Kingdom. Pilots jumped out and headed across the border.
 
“Reminder: Don't let Relena catch us here. If she does we're screwed.”
 
Sarah shrugged uncaringly. “We look different than before, so I'm not worried about it.
 
Crystal rolled her eyes. “Loosing weight and getting hair cuts wont really pass for us.”
 
“Fine. Let's get a wig or not even go.”
 
They then passed into the Sanc Kingdom. The people walking angrily held up their fists at Sarah and Crystal.
 
“What should we wear to this General Party anyway?” muttered Sarah.
 
Crystal nodded her head to the back seat. Sarah turned to see a full backpack. She grabbed it and opened it. Inside were two dresses: one white and one red.
 
“Where did you get these?”
 
“Rip them off of this store back there. We should blend in nicely.”
 
Sarah shrugged uncaringly and tossed the bag back onto the seat. Her phone went off and she checked it. It was a message from Victor.
 
“New target: Colonel Jacob. Apparently he's going to try to kill Zechs tonight.”
 
Crystal smirked. “This should be fun.”
 
 
 
 
Relena watched the refugees sway towards the mansion as the servants brought out food and water. Some just simply sat before the gates too tired to move on. Off in the distance mobile suits were left and now formed almost a mountain like line. She frowned.
 
“What's wrong Relena?” asked Dorothy skipping to Relena's side.
 
“All of these poor people. I feel so helpless.”
 
Dorothy raised one of her long eyebrows. “But you're bringing in all of the refugees and giving them food and water. And you're holding a General Party to try to talk things out.”
 
Relena shook her head. “More like Milliardo wanted it. I don't understand how he could be a Peacecraft and will be helping out the generals in taking down Zeon.”
 
“Don't you want Zeon gone?”
 
Relena nodded. “I'm just surprised Heero hasn't taken care of him yet…or any of the others.” She paused thinking of Heero for a moment then the others. She had received a call from Duo asking her to take care of Crystal for him, but apparently Crystal wasn't going to answer her phone or left Villa like so many people had.
 
“Heero isn't the same as last time,” said Dorothy staring down at the refugees. A Jeep driven by a blond sharply turned into the underground parking garage. “War changes people. Also Zeon is hiding and hasn't been on any broadcasts either. It takes time. C'mon Miss Relena! Let's go help out the refugees!”
 
Relena took one last look at the thousands of people just outside of her door. She nodded and left with Dorothy. She knew that Noin and Sally had everything under control, but something just didn't quite settle right with her.
 
 
 
 
Sarah jumped onto the bed face first. The bed was a king size with red and dark purple sheets. Sarah and Crystal had swiped two general ID cards and changed the pictures to themselves. A servant had let them into this huge bedroom where Sarah and Crystal would be sleeping. Crystal tossed the bag to the floor and sighed as she sat down on the bed.
 
“So this is the Peacecraft house, uh?” she muttered looking around. “Heero must love it here.”
 
Sarah rolled onto her back and stared up at the cream ceiling. “Actually Heero doesn't stay here. He's mostly in his penthouse or off on his own job.” She sat up and began to undo her boots. “He doesn't like sleeping here.”
 
Crystal pulled off her jacket. “By the way what really happened between you and him? I know the explosion wasn't the only reason.”
 
Sarah paused knowing the real reason. Loosing the baby had affected them to no end. She guessed they could've gotten over it if he hadn't self destructed, but who knew? “Why do you ask? Do I seem unhappy with Trowa?”
 
Crystal now took off her boots. “No.” She shook her head. “You look happier with Trowa than Duo, but at times I see pain between you and Heero.”
 
Sarah shrugged. “I guess a part of me hates him for going after Relena,” she lied.
 
“You aren't going to burn down her house, right?” giggled Crystal.
 
Sarah dryly laughed. “Of course not! I'm just going to crash her party and enjoy her services to General Satoru and Kamiya!”
 
Crystal laughed.
 
 
 
The General Party started at eight o'clock sharp in the large ballroom. The ballroom had marble floors, spiral columns with red drapes that hung down, and large chandelles. Relena was out in the crowd speaking with several top soldiers asking questions on the war. Dorothy went along on her own business, but always kept close enough to Relena to hear her conversations. She usually skipped over to Relena whenever signs of a heated argument would start. Zechs would briefly talk to the soldiers as Noin would appear and disappear at his side. Noin walked around in a short blue dress and silver shoes. Sally would also appear and disappear at Noin's side dressed in a black cocktail dress. Her hair straightened and loose around her shoulders.
 
Sarah and Crystal arrived at the party at 8:15 and didn't look out of place. The women soldiers were somehow all dressed up and beautified for this occasion. Maybe it was luck or maybe it was because Dorothy had bought everyone a dress. The girls entered the ballroom and gazed around. Sarah in the red halter dress and Crystal in the white strapless dress. As always the men stole glances at them as they walked around and talked to the other soldiers.
 
Sarah took a sip of wine. “Sally Po two o'clock,” she muttered and turned to the side.
 
Crystal bent over to wipe off her dress. “Thank you. I think she's going to Noin again.”
 
Sarah turned back around to see Sally disappear into the crowd. “Wonder what they're talking about?”
 
Crystal stood up and flipped out her hair. “Who knows and cares.” She looked over to see the thin and nervous Colonel Jacob. He stood by the drinks looking for someone. “How should we do this one?”
 
Sarah cocked her head at Jacob. She thought for a minute then gazed around the room. “Lipstick. Should I do this?”
 
Crystal shook her head. “I miss having fun.” She then produced a tube of lipstick and put on the red, deathly color. “Five second touch right?”
 
Sarah nodded. “Twenty seconds for it to take affect. Good luck.”
 
She smirked and walked towards Jacob. Sarah sighed and went off into the crowd. She had maybe caught a glimpse of Dorothy and Relena throughout the entire night, but barely. Sally and Noin seem to be the popular people tonight.
 
“Excuse me miss,” said a smooth familiar voice.
 
Sarah turned to see Zechs standing next to her. His blond hair was still at his shoulders and his blue eyes were finally visible. He was dressed in a soldier's uniform that made him desirable.
 
She smirked. “Well I see you've finally got rid of the mask,” she said.
 
Zechs chuckled. “Satoru right?”
 
“You are correct. I'm surprised you remembered me. It's been years.”
 
He nodded. “You were the only girl to refuse Treize and I never forget those girls.”
 
Sarah shrugged. “I had morals. What brings you to Relena's party? Keeping an eye on your little sister?”
 
“Actually I'm holding this party. She's just providing the space making it seem like it's her idea.”
 
Sarah simply nodded. “I'm glad that it turned out so well. It means barely anyone died.”
 
“I know. Relena feels helpless in this war. She feels like she has no control whatsoever.”
 
“I know the feeling.” She glanced over at Jacob and Crystal. Crystal placed the kiss onto his lips, smiled and walked away. In twenty seconds Jacob would fall over dead. Crystal made eye contact with Sarah then looked at Zechs.
 
Zechs looked back at Crystal then Sarah. “Who's your friend?”
 
“She's the girl that helped me today with a bomb. We work together in the same unit.”
 
He nodded. “She's very pretty like you.”
 
Crystal left the ballroom. Jacob still blushing from the kiss sat down on the floor as he began to breath hard. Sarah knew it was a clue to get out before Zechs asked questions.
 
“Thank you. I must be going Milliardo. It was nice seeing you again.”
 
He flushed hearing his real name from her. “Nice seeing you too. Will I be seeing you later?”
 
“Milliardo!” called Relena and started to march up to him.
 
Sarah took a deep breath and quickly said, “Possibly.” She turned on her heel and went directly into a group of female soldiers eyeing the lovely Zechs. Zechs watched her leave.
 
“Yes Relena?”
 
Relena eyed him then looked at the back of Sarah. “Who was that? Did I interrupt something?” She cocked her head to the side. That backside looked almost familiar.
 
“No, no. I just saw someone that I met back before the two wars. What's going on?”
 
“Colonel Jacob is dead.”
 
 
 
Sarah and Crystal didn't change in their room, but instead went to the garage. Sarah jumped into the driver's side of the Jeep and took off. The Jeep flew into the darkness going farther and farther away from the Peacecraft grounds.
 
“Did Relena see you?” asked Crystal.
 
“Maybe. I turned just in time. Hang on.”
 
Sarah swerved and went across the border. Crystal gripped the side and prayed that Relena didn't see Sarah.
 
“Does it matter anyway? What will she do? Call Trowa and tell him that she thought she saw me talking to Zechs? I have Heero on my side.”
 
Crystal nodded and pulled on her jacket. The cold air went through her hair. “Thank God for Heero.”