Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ It's A Wonderful War ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Title: It's A Wonderful War (I thought the joke on this was funny, but hey that's just my weird sense of humor)



Title: It's A Wonderful War 2/? (I thought the joke on this was funny, but no one else thought so, but hey that's just my weird sense of humor)

Author: Sony_Mouse (Sony_Mouse@hotmail.com), but if it's really bad then it is someone else.

Pairings: 1+2+1 all the WAY yeah.

Warnings: AU (OUR universe), Angst (nothing like Hers, Yours, and Mine, just incase you are worried), young, ignorant and propaganda full Duo, shounen-Ai.

Disclaimers: Not mine, GW is the property of sunrise I think, and the word World War two belongs to National Geographic (bet ya didn't know that.)

Archives: All my other stories are at www.gwaddiction.com


Author's Note: well since I just wrote part 1 today, I won't say anything much. Down with the movie (and I use this term lightly) Pearl Habor, up with the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! (Tiger! Tiger! Tiger!). I apologize in advance for Duo's frame of mind, but keep in mind he is upset, and new to war, and was filled with all the propaganda and probably scared shitless, so give him a break please.

Japanese note: Don't know Japanese, so Heero's Japanese is just English with * around it

*********************************


Chapter one: I don't have a title for it yet (maybe that can be my title :)

Trying to move himself, Duo found he couldn't even lift his arms
without feeling dizzy. He felt a head rush as he moved his head to
the side, and almost yelped when he found himself staring into the
coldest and most deadly eyes he had every dared look upon.

He would have screamed, but the soldier, obviously Japanese, had other
plans. Without warning the soldier lowered the butt of his gun smack
down on top of Duo's head, knocking him unconscious.

An angry, "Hn" was heard, as the American slumped forward into
oblivion.


*******************************


By the time Duo woke up again he noticed three things before he even remembered where he was; one, it was sunset, two, he hurt, and three, there was a gun poking into the back of his head.

Trying to move around, so he could get a good look at his captor, Duo let out a cry as the gun was jabbed firmly into his head.

"So you're going to kill me aren't you? Or maybe perform some kind of torture on me? I expect nothing less from a savage like you. I bet you won't even remove me from this cockpit, we'll at least I'll be dying in something American."

Duo wasn't sure if the man behind him could even speak English, but he might have understood something, cause he smacked Duo lightly with the gun before slowly walking around to face him, still aiming the gun at his head.

"*Silence!*"

Duo jerked his head up in surprise at the venom spoken in the strange foreign words.

"Sorry pal but I don't speak your language, try learning English, you know the international language, then get back to me."

The Japanese soldier glared daggers at his prisoner before continuing.

"Omae O Korosu!" (Do I have to translate?)

Duo would have replied with another smart-ass comment, but he suddenly felt very dizzy and once again slumped forward in his chair.

"Listen, kill me or don't, just make up your mind."

To Duo's surprise the Japanese soldier laid his gun down on the aircraft to help the dizzy boy. By tugging at his restraints, with one swift movement the soldier attempted to free Duo from the cockpit. This only resulted in getting the young pilot to struggle and scream loudly from the pain.

"*Sit still and let me help you.*

Duo didn't understand his words, but felt there were something along the lines of not screaming. Either way it irritated Duo to be told what to do by the enemy, so he continued to struggle despite of the pain it caused.

Having enough, the Japanese soldier jumped down and grabbed a small piece of wood, he then jammed it into Duo's open mouth. It would allow Duo to let scream by biting down on the wood, and at the same time make it easier for the soldier to free him.

As he Duo was given a few more pulls and tugs, Duo bit down as hard as he could on the piece of wood. The moment that his arms were free, he wrapped them around the Japanese man for support and an effort to help him out of the cockpit.

It only took a few more minutes to finally become free of the cockpit, but it was the longest few minutes of Duo's young life. The last tug pulled him free and caused him to stumble to the ground, landing on top of the enemy soldier.

He was quickly pushed off, landing hard against the ground. Every movement was painful, so instead of inspecting his wounds, he fell back to the ground, enjoying the feel of having his legs stretched out.

"*Are you ok?*"

"Why did you do that? I was going to die an American on American property."

"*If you die, you can now die a soldier, on enemy territory.*"

"What are you saying? Are you going it get it over with yet?"

"*Baka.*"

"I don't need the suspense, just kill me already!"

"*Shut up, or I'll make you shut up.*" The soldier glared dangerously at the fallen boy before picking himself off the ground and rushing over to Duo's side to kneel down beside him. Once there he started to assess the damage by lightly moving his hands over the American's legs.

"HEY! Get your slimy hands off of me. I don't mind dying, but the last thing I want is to be raped by a Jap. I should've known you would do this though. You're about as predictable as they said you'd be."

The Japanese soldier seemed to flinch slightly at the accusations before grabbing a hold of Duo's braid and slamming into his open mouth.

"*For the last time, shut up!*" Using the American's shock to his advantage, the Japanese soldier quickly and painfully snapped Duo's leg back into it's normal position.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You bastard. You set my leg, didn't you? What the hell is this, one-minute you're trying to kill my comrades and trying to kill me, the next you're setting my leg. You're more messed up than I first thought." It was at this exact moment that the soldier decided to pull tightly on the bandage he'd been tying around Duo's broken leg.

"Damn! Why don't you just break it again."

"*I will if you keep talking.*" It was only when the soldier said this to him that Duo realized that the enemy had tied his leg with strips of the Japanese's own uniform.

"Get these off of me, it's a disgrace for an American pilot to be wearing anything belonging to a Jap."

Ignoring whatever complaint the American might have issued, he quietly continued his assessment of the damage, as Duo stared at him with wide worried eyes. The Japanese soldier found that his prisoner not only had a broken leg, but was also in no shape to be moved. If he wanted him alive, he would have to camp out here with him for the next few days. Only then, would he be able to leave here and get back in touch with his unit to turn the war criminal in.

Standing up to brush the dust off his shirt, the soldier gave a quick command before leaving to get some work done. "*Sit down, stay quiet or Omae O Korosu. I'm going to make camp.*"

Watching as his captor walked away Duo started to think about how he could escape. The problem was he couldn't. He had a broken leg, and he was sure the Jap knew it, plus even if he could escape, he was in Japan, there was nowhere he could run to. The soldier was a bit of a mystery. It surprised Duo that he hadn't tried to kill him yet, he had even helped him, but as far as Duo was concerned this could only mean trouble. The soldier must be trying to gain his trust, or healing him so he could later be tortured. Why else would a Jap help him out.

Through out the next hour, the Japanese soldier came and went several times, each time bringing back wood for a fire and supplies from some mysterious source. After he had successfully started a fire under the broken wing of Duo's aircraft, he then started to prepare some dinner. Walking over to the unnaturally quiet American, he picked him up, ready to bring him closer to the fire.

"Put me down you dirty Jap!" Trying to contain his anger, the Japanese man quickly dropped his cargo onto the ground with a loud thud. Smirking as the pissed-off American tried to sit up against the plane in considerable pain, he then walked away to prepare some food.

"You bastard, you did that on purpose. And you being nice and fixing my leg, That's all some plan to make me tell you why we were bombing you in the first place, isn't it?"

While opening a few cans the Japanese scoffed at the American. "*You were bombing us because we are at war, or haven't you noticed?*"


Once again Duo had no idea what the man had said, but he was sure it was some insult.

"Don't you talk to me like that. I just hope you know that Japan's going to lose the war, and when the Americans come here looking for me, and find you, you are one dead Jap."

"*They won't find you if you're dead.*" Before Duo could respond the young man walked around the fire and took out a knife. Duo was positive that the man was going to stab him, but to his great surprise the soldier started to rip away at his flight suit.

The suit was all torn up and reeked of blood, but underneath Duo still had on perfectly good combats. The American didn't know what to say, but was even more amazed when he received a blanket around his cold shoulders.

"*It'll keep you warm in the night, so you don't get sick with your injuries.*"

"Yeah is that so? We'll I may be weak but I'll kick you're ass if you try anything funny."

"*Your welcome.*"

"Yeah, yeah." It slowly started to rain all around them. However, the broken wing nicely protected the two cold enemies. Duo jumped when the Japanese soldier picked up one of the cans and handed it to the startled young man. He tried to grab the can several times, but was still too weak from the crash, apparently only his mouth was in good working order.

The soldier sighed at the sight before making the decision to feed the American himself. Taking a bit of the contents out of the can with some chop sticks he had on him, he attempted to feed his annoying prisoner.

Duo turned his head away from the chopsticks like a baby might, scared of not only the food, but also the utensils.

"What the hell is that, are you trying to poison me? And just what kind of fork-knife is that?"

Not talking any lip from his prisoner, the soldier pulled Duo's head back by his braid and force-fed him the food.

"Yuck, couldn't you have just shot me, this is horrible..." Another mouthful of food interrupted his rant.

When he was done eating, the Japanese soldier gave the prisoner an evil smirk before moving to the other side of the fire to replenish the wood.

Duo tried to deal with the silence as best he could, but every time he wasn't talking he was left with thoughts of what the Japanese man could do to him. It was better to just talk then have to deal with his imagination.

Looking up at his captor, he noticed that the man was silently observing him, it was strangely unnerving. The enemy soldier had surprisingly dark brown hair instead of jet black, as Duo assumed all Japanese had. And Duo wasn't sure in the bad light, but he swore that the young man's eyes might be the color of blue. But that could just be the lights playing tricks on his eyes.

Deciding there had been enough silence, Duo tried to strike up a conversation.

"So...killed many Americans before?"

"Hn."

"I see you're not the talkative one, 'cept when you're yelling at me. That's ok, I'll do the talking for both of us."

The soldier ignored him and threw another log unto the fire.

"So what's your name? Mine's Duo, no harm in telling you that. You can just read my name tags, which I've noticed I no longer have with me, which means you must have them."

"Hn."

"Look!" Waving his hands in the air, he started to point to himself." ME DUO, DUO D-U-O." Pointing to his captor he emphasized his words. " You? ME Duo. YOU?"

The soldier looked at the American pilot like was a complete and total idiot. "Baka."

"Baka, well it's an ok name I guess, for a Jap. Nice to meet you Baka, now are you going to kill me?"

The other soldier had had enough and glared once again at the American prisoner before responding in a much more familiar language. "Only if you want me to, and my name is Heero, *you* are the Baka." The heavenly accented, yet still very good English was followed by complete silence for at least ten minutes afterwards. Finally Duo found enough muster to yell back.

"You fucking speak English? All this time I've been insulting you, and you understood? Why the hell would you do that?"

Heero shrugged his shoulders and answered truthfully. "It allowed me to learn things about you, and I hoped it would mean I didn't have to talk to you."

"You're a Jap! How the hell did you learn English? Are you some sort of spy."

"No, I learned by reading books and listing to the radio. It wasn't that hard."

"B-but I thought the Japanese didn't know any English."

"That may have been your false assumption, but you were wrong...as usual."

"Now listen here, you may be the one in charge for the time being, but when my..."

"You're what? You're squadron gets here, the one that was shot down. You are the only survivor, and if you don't start being quiet, you won't even be that lucky."

"I'd rather die than spend another minute with a dirty Jap like yourself."

"I bet you would, but you're not in charge here, I am. And I want you alive!"

"I don't care what you want! You can torture me, rape me, do what you like. I'll never tell you anything."

"That's cause you have nothing to tell. You are only a lowly officer, if even that."

"You know our ranks?"

"They aren't that hard to learn, or have you not learned yours yet?" Flustered, Duo growled back.

"I-I know my own ranks you stupid Jap, I just don't know yours."

"Hn."

"Hn, that's all you got to say. Can you at least tell me what you're planning to do with me?"

"I'm not talking you to a camp."

Duo was unnerved by the serious tone in which the Japanese soldier had responded. "So you are planning to kill me, or torture me."

"No."

"Then what?"

"You don not need to know, so I won't tell you."

"Well don't we sound mature. Well why don't we leave?"

"You are injured."

"So."

"So, you would not be able to survive the journey with out some healing."

"Why would you care?"

"I don't, but my superiors might. I don't wish to speak with you anymore, go to sleep and recover!"

"You're ordering me to recover. What if I don't want to?"

"It's not your choice, I will make sure that you live."

"Fine, fine be that way, just don't be surprised if I wake up dead."

"Hn"

"Yeah, yeah. G'night." Duo didn't really want to sleep around the Japanese soldier, but unfortunately his body did. It was exhausted and just needed some rest. Leaning back softly, Duo was asleep in no time.

Heero on the other hand stayed awake to make sure that his prisoner survived the first night uninjured by keeping him warm with the fire. As soon as he was sure the young man was fast asleep, he walked over and quietly laid the blanket over Duo so that it would cover the boy's whole body, thereby letting no warmth to escape.

He already felt uncomfortable keeping the American alive, knowing it was a risk, and almost wished he had just killed the pilot as soon as he had crashed. But when he had looked down at the unconscious figure still in the cockpit, he knew he couldn't kill him. The American looked just like a baby, so young. He didn't look like someone capable of killing women of children, even if he had. Besides the Americans would prize the young pilot, and would want to trade some Japanese soldiers for the boy.

Looking down at the sleeping figure, Heero truly wondered if he had made a mistake. But all he had to do was look over at that suspiciously innocent looking face and he knew he wasn't going to let the boy die.

Yet the boy deserved to die, he had killed so many women...children...all from his quick air raid. It was a very dishonorable act. But somehow the young pilot lying asleep in front of him seemed to carry no guilt for his actions, only bitterness.

Maybe that was the price to pay when you were forced to fight so young. If anything, Heero could understand that.

TBC...


Okay, just to say, Heero has a VERY different perspective on killing cause he is a foot soldier, he sees the people he kills, so would only go for the other soldiers, but Duo is a pilot and never sees his target, he doesn't even KNOW what he bombed, cept that he was told to bomb it. SO if it was, say, a small town making weapons, he would bomb it, no matter who was down there, and that's what happened. OH and yes he is bitter, he is held captive, and his squadron and idol was shot down. He is not a happy camper.