Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ It's A Wonderful War ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: It's a Wonderful War
Author: Sony_Mouse (Sony_Mouse@hotmail.com)
Pairings: Take a look at ALL my other stories and GUESS. (Ok, ok it's 1+2+1)
Warnings: Angst (don't worry not the same type as Hers, Yours and Mine was, thank god), violence, ignorance, hatred, (you know, stuff war brings), AU, language, and SHOUNEN-AI
Disclaimer: GW not mine, WW2 not mind, but the story sure as hell is mine.
Archives: All my other fics can be found at www.gwaddiction.com, why not go read em?
Author's Note: I KNOW I just started writing my other fic, but this idea came to me much the same way H,Y and M did, it just HIT me, and I knew I had to write it or I would never get any sleep. In fact you could even blame it on seeing the movie Pearl Harbour. Words can not express how much I hated that film. It is my all time least favorite film, and you could NOT pay me to see it again. It got me thinking non stop for the past 4 days what the REAL Japanese mentality was (I'm sure it was not, as they said in the movie, "we've just won against the US, but OOOOOO they're gonna kick our ass now." In fact I know it wasn't. So this story is basically my interpretation of what the Americans thought, what they were told, and what happens when they find out it isn't all true. And no Pearl Harbour is not in the story, this takes place many years after that event. Ok I've said my two bits, if you want to know my actual review of the movie, I would be MORE than happy to give it to you. I don't have much time to write this, so it will be short.

*****************************************

The Later Years of World War 2 (could I be any less vague as to the actual date?)

Duo Maxwell walked onto the aircraft carrier in awe. He had just been posted to the carrier a few days ago and was thrilled to be getting a glimpse at its high tech planes and elite crew.
It was war, and he was reading to kick some enemy ass. Folding his arms and nodding his young head in approval, Duo felt a friendly arm clasp him on the shoulder.
"Don't just stand there with your mouth open, you might catch some flies." Duo spun around and stared at the older pilot in even more awe.
"WOW, you're Captain Solo!"
"Gee kid, you got all that from just reading my rank and nametag." Duo shook his head in denial.
"No, no sir, I've heard nothing but great things about the invincible Captain Solo. I just want you to know that I'm ready to shoot the enemy and am honored to be in your squadron."
"Well shucks kid you'll make me blush. Your young, and I like you already, which is never a good thing in war. But the hell is with your hair?"
"Oh sir, Military regulation, I'm allowed to keep it long if it's for a religious purpose."
"And is it?"
"Well the military thinks so, besides they're not to picky in war time."
"Can you even fit your helmet on with that long braid."
"Sure I can sir, the braid just goes under my flight suit."
"Ok, ok. I read the report on you, don't worry I won't make you cut it. Now just let me make a few things clear."
Staring up at the tall short brown haired officer, Duo nodded in excitement. "First of all, don't make too many friends, we're pilots, and we're dead. In fact, avoid learning their names if you can, it'll just make it harder on you. Second, those Japs out there aren't some wimpy target practice, they know how to shoot just as good, if not better than we do, plus they ain't afraid to die, and neither should you."
Duo started to look a bit confused and stared questionably at the Captain. "But I was told we were winning the war at this point? Aren't the Japs using their last resources by now?"
"Sure kid, whatever. That may be true, then again it may not be. I'm not told everything over here in the middle of nowhere, but one's things for sure, the Japs aren't on their last legs, I just lost more than half of my best pilots yesterday, that's why they flew you up here. Rule number one in my squadron, NEVER underestimate the enemy, it makes you cocky, and you end up dead, not them. Rule number two, watch your own ass, we'll do our best to help you, but there will be times when we have to fight to survive and have no time to help you out. Rule number three, ALWAYS listen to my orders, this ain't no academy and things are different out here, you wanna live, then listen to the people who have survived this long. Now get some sleep, we're expecting to head out in three hours."
This made Duo really start to panic. "But I just got here, I haven't even unpacked yet. I don't even know which one's mine?"
Solo chuckled slightly at the new pilot. "How old are you?"
"Ummm 18, sir."
"And don't you just look it, you're just a baby. I won't say you remind me of myself, cause that's a lie, but you do remind me of the good folks back home. I'm afraid the war waits for no man, we go out when we go out, but if it'll make you feel better, I will personally watch your back. I like you kid, you've got this innocence to you that I don't' want to see you lose. Now get some God damn sleep before I have to drug you, cause you won't be sleeping for at least another year."
Duo smiled up at his long time idle and saluted with the most amount of pride he could muster before heading over to his sleeping quarters and getting some sleep. Despite what the Captain had said, Duo still felt like nothing could kill him, he would prove to the Captain that Duo Maxwell was the best damn pilot they had. With these thoughts in his head, Duo slowly drifted off to sleep.

********************************


Duo was rudely awakened by the sound of a loud siren. His only thought before he fell of his cot, was that it was time to attack. He could hardly wait. Dumping the contents of his duffel bag onto the floor, Duo found his what he was looking for and tried to jump into his flight suit as fast as he could, fully aware that the planes needed him now. Looking at a clock, he realized only one hour had passed since he went to bed and wondered if it really was time to go up.
Running to the top deck, Duo quickly found Captain Solo and was briefed on the attack plan. They were going to attack some part of mainland Japan with a swift blitzkrieg.
"Captain, I thought you said we would attack in three hours?"
"Like I said kid, the war waits for no man. If we wait any longer, the Japs will know we are here. Now lets get this show on the road."
"Wait, which plane is mine."
Solo did a quick scan of the area before spotting a sorry looking mess of a plane. "That one."
"But-but, can that even fly."
"Oh sure kid, not only can it fly, but it's survived the longest out of all our planes. It's been shot down 3 times, and each time we've always been able to retrieve it."
"And the pilots?'
"Twice, either way that Death Scythe over there is one lucky craft. But now's not the time to talk about history, let's go!"

**************************

Buckling into the aircraft, Duo prayed to any God that would listen that the plane would actually leave the ground in one peace. Soon enough it was his turn to go up, and Duo did so with out a second thought.
Once in the air, it wasn't long before they reached mainland. Over the intercom, Duo could hear various orders being given, and was just itching to get the chance to bomb the target. Hearing the order to attack, Duo let loose with all he had. He could here the cries of happiness form the other experienced pilots, and wondered how long they had been doing this for.
"Pilot 02, pilot 02, get ready, the Japs are starting to retaliate, and they look pissed." Looking to the side, Duo could see oncoming aircrafts, and started to aim towards his sworn enemy. Just as he was about to shoot, he could feel his plane taking a small hit, fortunately it wasn't a fatal one. Looking back at his target he could see Solo's plane take it out in one swift fly by, shooting with amazing precision.
"02, watch out, the ground also has weapons and aren't afraid to use them."
"Don't worry Cap'n, I'll take care of those." Flying lower, Duo swept dangerously low to the ground forces, and bombed as many as could in the short amount of time.
Reentering a more secure air space, Duo rejoined his fighting comrades, many of whom he still didn't know. Once he was back up, Duo noticed that four planes were already missing, they had already been shot down, but the Japs weren't doing much better, in fact they were already starting to lose the air battle.
"02, mission succeeded, return to ship NOW, no time for games." Duo was about to comply when he spotted a few more Japs trying to cover his tail, deciding to ignore his orders, Duo flew straight at them, dodging the oncoming bullets. He was able to shoot down one of the planes, but the other still stayed locked on him. Seeing little way out, Duo tried to maneuver himself away from the plane, but it was of no use.
"02 you idiot, damn, just wait for me." Coming from above, Duo was happy to see his Captain take aim at the enemy and shoot down the remaining plane on his tail.
"YES, you got him. Great job! Thanks for the help."
"02, enough funny business, let's get out.…." the transmission was abruptly cut off as Duo watched in horror as Solo's plane was blown up by one of the Japanese still in the air.
"NOOOOOOOOO! You bastard! SOLO!" All Duo could see was red as he watched the rest of his squadron being shot down one by one by the new wave of Japanese planes. He tried unsuccessfully to get another kill, but there were just too many of them. He knew it was the end, when he felt his tail being shot to hell by one of the enemy aircrafts.
Duo prayed a thousands times, as his ship quickly began to crash land, time seemed to stand still and all Duo could think of were Solo's last words. It was his fault for not listening to orders that Solo was dead, NO, it was those Jap's fault! But in the end it was still him slowly descending into hell.
As the impact of the landing hit Duo, everything went blank. This plane itself skidded across a forest, before abruptly crashing into some trees, leaving it's new pilot for dead.
But unfortunately for Duo, he wasn't dead. And three hours later, he proved this by slowly opening his eyes, moaning as pain rushed like a wave over his fragile and beat up body. He could almost make out that he was somewhere in his plane on what seemed to be the floor of a forest. He figured this from the trees standing tall above him. He could also make out the sound of birds chirping, and something else that must be moving in the bushes near by.
Trying to move himself, Duo found he couldn't even lift his arms without feeling dizzy. He felt a head rush as he moved his head to the side, and almost yelped when he found himself staring into the coldest and most deadly eyes he had every dared look upon.
He would have screamed, but the soldier, obviously Japanese had other plans. Without warning the soldier lowered the butt of his gun smack down on top of Duo's head, causing him to pass out from the blow.
An angry, "Hn" was heard, as the American's head slumped forward into unconsciousness.
TBC...
Ok well here goes original story number two. Can you guess who that glaring Japanese soldier is? Just a few notes for you guys, I was in the airforce so I do know a lot about aerial tactics, BUT that doesn't mean I can write them, so sorry if my action scene sucked, I've never written one before. Captain Solo, Han Solo hee hee, I just couldn't resist, come on, how many of you also thought Han Solo when you first heard the name?
The Hair thing is true, you can't make then cut their hair if it is for religious purposes (Canadian Military) OR if it is THAT long, although the guys with long hair DO have to put it up in a bun, I'm not joking, I had a friend with long hair, he just had to put it up in a bun on duty, and all was ok. Another friend for religious purposes was aloud to wear a blue turban (with his long hair underneath).