Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Le Rideau Est-il Fermé? ❯ Act Un: Les Premières Chutes de Rideau ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Le Rideau Est-il Fermé




Disclaimer: Blaaaaaaaaaah, why do I even bother with these things? Look owners, I'm not doing your characters any great disgrace (I don't think …) so don't sue me. I'm broke, and I only have a few DVDs and a Sandrock Custom to my name and don't even think of asking me for my Asuka plushie or my purse-size Q-chan.

More parts to come! This is only the first of many!!!

Le Rideau Est-il Fermé?
Act Un: Les Premières Chutes de Rideau
By: Elysia Erianthe

"Hellooo?" His voice asked with an unreplicable musical quality. I could just imagine him looking through the peephole in the door, fathomless eyes curious and minuscule pout gracing divine lips. The door slid open silently, but it was the rush of cool air that caught my attention. In recognition, I reluctantly removed my gaze from the landscaping that surrounded the magnificent estate.
He shyly peeked around the door, possibly expecting to see a fan girl for one of the pilots, who were residing in his monstrous dwelling. His face revealed relief, to see someone more composed than a fan girl perhaps, and he took a confident step onto the narrow stoop that accentuated the superior architecture of the mansion.
"May I help you, miss?" He questioned once more with a hint of schoolboy formality. No longer a schoolboy, he towered above me so I was looking up into the small of his throat at close range. I took a step backward and released the breath that I hadn't realized I had been holding. I nervously raised my eyes to meet his in a level gaze.
"Yes, I've come to speak to Chang Wufei concerning some business matters. However, I'm afraid I don't think he is expecting me," I responded evenly enough in spite of my butterfly-infested innards.
In turn, he simply smiled, enough warmth radiating from his refined features to make a supernova envious. I did my best to mirror his warmth in my smile and prayed that he took no notice that the sentiment did not reach my violet eyes.
He proceeded to chuckle. The light and carefree sound soothed my ears that were all too accustomed to the snarls and protests of spiteful defense attorneys. "I don't think Wufei gives much thought to visitors, but business? I believe that might be a different story. Oh, I forgot to ask your name," he said good-humoredly as he led me through one of many spacious corridors in the mansion. The overhead lights reflected off of his platinum locks as we paused at a door, eluding me to think for a moment that he actually had a brilliant halo suspended above his head.
"I'm Quatre Raberba Winner," he announced with an amble measure of pride. Was he being arrogant about his family's good name and fortune? No, somehow I got the impression he would give off the same aura even if he were a beggar.
"I am Orianna Calée," I responded and had the grace to blush as he took my hand in both of his tenderly. I smiled up at him, face aglow as he opened the door that revealed a comfortable sitting room and a man, clothed in black, lounging on a couch.
At the sight of Qua---Mr. Winner---opening the door, the man leapt to his feet, causing his braid to swing like a pendulum behind him. Taking no heed of this, his face became a Christmas tree, lit with shock. "Whoa! Q-man! You really hit it big this time, my friend!" He exclaimed gleefully with a twinkle in his alluring eyes. I watched as my gracious host was bombarded with suggestive winks and comments, all in a rapid-fire manner.
He groaned and rolled his eyes, emphasizing his distaste of the other's actions. Not knowing how to respond to all this commotion, I looked at the blonde man next to me who held a hand to his angelic face, attempting to conceal a blush but failing miserably. He caught my gaze for a moment and proceeded to explain,
"I'm terribly sorry. This...lunatic is---"
"Duo Maxwell at your service, pretty lady!" The man said, bringing one of my well-manicured hands up to his "two blushing pilgrims." He brushed my hand with his lips, and I met with a pair of mischievous indigo eyes under a fringe of chestnut bangs. I felt myself blush a sunset of colors, but much to my surprise, neither of the men seemed to notice. Maybe my complexion was darker than I imagined.
However, Mr. Winner broke my thoughts. "Well, I'm pretty sure that Wufei is training, so," he paused momentarily, possibly to recollect his thoughts, "if you don't mind too much, I will find him for you. In the meantime Duo can keep you company."
"Thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Winner," I said, bowing my head slightly as was custom. In return, he blessed me with another radiant smile even if it was a short lived one. Before leaving, I unmistakably heard him mutter, "Behave yourself, Duo."
By the time the door closed with a muffled click, Duo was sitting on overstuffed sofa in the corner with a pout gracing his lips. "So you mean to tell me that you aren't Quatre's girlfriend?" He asked displeased and knit his brows together even further.
I think I'd better sit down...
"I guess that's a no. And just when I thought that Quatre might actually do something good for himself. That guy needs to stop worrying about everyone else," he mumbled to no one in particular. "So what did you say your name was, pretty lady?" He asked while standing up and walking towards where I was now rested on the windowseat.
I blushed slightly as I realized that I hadn't introduced myself properly again. Why was I finding it difficult to be formal around these people? "Orianna Calée. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Maxwell," I took his hand and stood up.
"Ah, it's just Duo for you, missy."
I took a step backward and looked him over for a moment. Why is this guy being so nice to me? I'm just here to discuss business with the head of the Neo Dragon Clan for crying out loud! My voice in my head was screaming at the man, but I simply bowed and responded politely, "Thank you, Duo," in fluent English.
"A smarty, are we? I can speak English too you know. Anyway, why don't I show you around this place? It's easy to get lost in here," he said cockily and mumbled something inaudible under his breath as he surprised me with a persuasive shove forward. Something about 'more time.'
"Excuse me?" I questioned, falling back into formality.
"Nothing for your ears, pretty lady. So why are you here anyway? Wufei already has a girlfriend ... sort of," he mumbled his last statement as he closed the door behind us.
"I'm the district attorney of the L7 colony and a politician of sorts though I'm not very proud of the latter occupation," I said as we entered the expansive garden that the sitting room overlooked. The gentle wind ruffled my dark gold hair, and I discretely brushed the freshly blown pollen off my suit.
"Alright, that explains the stylin' suit but what about Wufei? Don't tell me you're a---"
A whisper-light sound escaped my mouth. The laugh, so very seldom heard even by my own ears, interrupted his preposterous suggestion. "Oh! No, no, no," I said, waving my hand at him and continuing my jovial giggle.
"Don't even tell me this knucklehead is telling you those awful jokes," a high-pitched feminine voice said from behind a bush. I felt my eyes widen with curiosity as I started to peek over the hedge, but the woman had already jumped to her feet and darted out of the bushes into plain view.
"Hilde!" Duo exclaimed, and, in an instant, had the petite dark-haired woman in a fond embrace.
"Duo," she sighed, "it's only been an hour since we last saw each other." She smiled and extended a garden gloved finger to touch the tip of his nose. Her finger gracefully changed directions after doing so and was currently pointed towards where I stood watching them with a slightly bittersweet smile.
"Who's your friend?"
"Oh, that's Orianna. She's uh ... in cahoots with Wufei," he explained the best he could, not quite understanding the astoundingly simple situation yet.
"A business partner to be more precise. It seems to be a little difficult for Duo to grasp--," I stated before being interrupted.
"EVERYTHING is difficult for Duo to grasp!" She emphatically corrected me, then grinned cheerfully, "But that's the way I like 'em!"
Laughter erupted all around once again as we continued our sluggish trek through the expansive garden to a destination long forgotten. Before I realized it, I was walking alone, the serene surroundings allowing me to slip into thoughts of things I had never given myself the opportunity to enjoy, but all too soon, someone broke the classical art's wonderment over me.
"Catch!" A distinctly masculine voice said as the clink of metal against metal sounded. The tone mirrored the constrained anger of its owner clearly.
"But Wufei! I haven't the time!" Another rather anguished sounding tenor traveled over the evergreen trees to my left.
"Well, you obviously have the time to interrupt my practice! You have all the time in the world, rich boy!" The Chinese man snarled, trying to arouse the temper deeply hidden in his opponent.
"Listen to me for a second! You have a guest, and she has been here for almost an hour!" He exclaimed, obviously tired and barely in control.
"You know I don't take visitors! Imbecile!" Wufei raged as he charged at the other man. After blocking the attack, I watched wide-eyed as Mr. Winner's face contorted with intense emotion.
"I beg of you! Just stop quarreling with me, and go to Ms. Calée at once!" He exclaimed, throwing his sword aside forcefully and sinking to his knees.
"What? Calée???" He asked as his features visibly softened. "Why didn't you just say it was--"
At that same moment, a minuscule, pollinating pest, commonly known as a bee, decided to make its presence known on the backside of my hand. I let out a barely audible yelp in response to the sharp pain.
"Orianna!?! Is that you?" The Asian's eyes narrowed as he walked over to my viewing point and separated the trees with his hands. "What the hell are you doing?" He asked roughly, but this reaction was one that I had become accustomed to long ago. I colored slightly, but I felt my features soften as he took my hand and led me out of the foliage.
I emerged from the greenery with little difficulty, taking in the scene. I looked toward the defeated Arab, who was still kneeling where he had fallen. He lifted his head in response to my rustling, and his slightly sunken eyes widened, possibly in embarrassment or dishonor, as he noticed my presence. Not allowing himself to be further shaken, he sulkily stood and ascended the spiraling wrought-iron stairway to his balcony and chambers above the garden. I heard him pause for a moment before closing the door behind him but didn't dare venture a glance in the direction of the fallen soldier.
"Pay no attention to him. He's far too soft to be a decent sparring mate." Wufei's voice pushed away whatever thoughts had risen in my mind, and my reaction to his comment was minimal as he continued to speak. "So what are you here for, woman?" He questioned harshly, but his eyes revealed entirely different emotions.
"Hey! No need to be rude, Wu-man!" Duo's voice was carried on the wind at my back.
So that's why he ...
Duo appeared from the same direction of his voice. Hilde giggled and gave a small wave from her elevated position in Duo's arms.
"Get a room," Wufei groaned and looked away with disapproval burning in his dark eyes.
In response, the braid-adorned man smiled broadly and raised his love's hand to his lips. "Am I not allowed to display my love for my fiancée, Chang?" He spoke into the ornately set blue diamond, and kissed the wearer. A wind arose, carrying the passionate melody of a violin and, oddly enough, fragrant rose petals.
"So be it," he replied, defeat evident in his usually even tone. "Now all three of you, leave me to my practice. I dropped my eyes and raised them in confusion once more, looking into unlit, mysterious ones.
"I hope you won't mind if I delay our appointment until later this evening, Miss Calée," Wufei spoke deceptively as he raised my hand to his eye level. I watched horrified as he lowered his head, causing his lips to meet the skin on my hand. The effect was enough to give me goosebumps.
What is he doing?!? This isn't the Wufei I know.
But I understood the second I felt the cold metal of a key being pressed into my palm. I nodded in understanding and walked back the way I had come.
***
Some author's notes (Don't you just hate these?): First of all, thank you thank you thank you for reading my latest "epic," as Nessa and Leto II have called my first ficcie. This is something that I've toiled at for longer than I'd like to admit during some dark times with my muse. I'd like to say that I think I've kept my characters pretty much themselves for the most part, my language is "wordy"---just the way I like it, and this is not a self-insertion fic! Well, considering it's with Quatre … I wish it was, but I'm not like Orianna at all. I was going for some originality in this because I've read some other Quatre romance ones where he gets paired with Dorothy ::cringes::, Catherine, or an original character. But how many original characters/romantic interests are politicians? Huh, huh? ::Grins:: Anyway, I'd just like to thank the countless people I've begged to read this and tell me I'm not nuts (Filia, Nessa, Amelia the Inverted Snowglobe, et cetera). You know who you are, and I kindly ask the rest of you to review or at the very least give me a little criticism, ne?
~Ellie