Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Le Rideau Est-il Fermé? ❯ Act Un: Les Troisième Chutes de Rideau ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Act I: The Third Curtainfall




Disclaimer: I'm out of my mind with boredom right now, so if anyone asks, I'm pleading insanity to all charges brought against me. ^_^;; And I don't have any pennies 'cause I spent them on gumballs at the mall today!

Le Rideau Est-il Fermé?
Act Un: Les Troisième Chutes de Rideau
By: Elysia Erianthe

I stood outside the music room door for a lucid moment before being able to muster enough courage and composure to enter. I knocked on the door lightly, with tender fingertips as I had been taught, but I did not do so to uphold proper mannerisms. Fully aware that the musician had not heard my knock through his rapture, I tapped open the door, for it was not completely closed to begin with.
The room itself was nothing to scuff at though small. Thick tapestries of harmonizing nymphs bathed in ethereal light, well-worn furniture, and cases upon cases of musical instruments of every variety all basked in natural light and warm air filtered by the fluttering curtains. Every element of the room tickled one's senses with the message of solace and closure to the soul despite this musician's obvious lack.
Even from where I stood unobtrusively in the threshold, Mr. Winner looked overtaken, resigned to a fate of distressing over the weight of humanity's unrest rather than his own.
The music continued, changing fluidly into a waltz. The melody was sickly sweet with lapses into the melancholy, nostalgic harmony, like glimpses into sought-after memory, or perhaps of a dream never to be realized.
A tear escaped unannounced from the man's closed eyes, and I touched my own eyes to find them slightly puffy. I involuntarily smoothed over my expression and looked on impassively.
I've been doing this too long ...
'But so has he,' I thought as the oddly lithe form of a man entered from the balcony to place a hand on the Angelic's shoulder soundlessly. I smiled despite myself. 'How much more similar could these two be to Coralie and I? Coralie, my now-blood sister who lays comatose with her unborn child in L7.' I sobered myself to submit to the mask of indifference once more.
"Oh, Trowa!" The Arabian burst in relief, his smile sending the unshed tears in his sea blue depths trailing down his cheeks. "But I thought you were traveling?!?"
At the sight of those tears, a muscle constricted in the jaw of the other man. I blinked to find that the agile brunette was holding Mr. Winner to his chest with his face buried in his wealth of his aureate locks, inhaling the scent as one might a child. I looked on quizzically, feeling as if I was watching myself from someone else's view.
"I'm never far away, little one," Trowa spoke evenly and graced his best friend with his most endearing smile, causing another sorrowful outburst from the other. Then he turned to face me, and I allowed him to bore a hole in my facade with his emerald eye. There was no fooling this one. He gestured with his eyes toward the door and shook his head ever so subtly.
He wants me to stay?
He nodded again and returned to the man in his arms. He broke their embrace, and each stood back looking a little rumpled but pleased nonetheless.
"But where were you? How did you--" The sad-eyed angel asked in a pleading tone laced in exasperation.
"I'm never far away, little one," the other repeated his words and adjusted his Preventer jacket, casting a glance in my direction, nothing more noticeable than a twitch to the blonde facing him.
'So he works for the Preventers. I suppose he never takes assignments out of the area,' I analyzed from the shadow of the doorway.
After seeing the returned melancholy in the blonde's features, the mystery-cloaked man continued with a brief explanation. "Wufei contacted me. He said something was amiss with you. He must have been right if you were playing that." He nearly spat the last word and looked at the violin critically.
And the breakdown ensues.
"I ... I'm just under a lot of stress, Trowa," Quatre started with some difficulty. Receiving an urging look from his companion, he continued, "I mean, the business has kept me tied to my desk, and I just can't--"
"Both of us know this isn't about work, Quatre," the Silencer interrupted gently, as if taking a fallen baby bird under his wing to return it to its mother's nest.
Mr. Winner sighed listlessly in return. "Yes, so it's about my lack of romantic contentment. You could always see right through me. Have you any idea how long it's been since I met a woman I could actually stand to be around? And don't you dare tell me that you're in the same situation, because I know about those mysterious trips you have been taking to L7!" The blonde tried to smile at his friend's blush but succeeded in doing nothing but grimace painfully.
"I ... thought that issue was better left out of your concerns, Quatre," the brunette colored once more to place a reassuring hand on the shoulder of his stricken friend. Mid sigh he mused, "Maybe you'll meet someone at the Imperial masquerade ball?"
"I just can't find relief in anyone from this ... oh Allah, I beg thee to send someone my direction," Quatre prayed, head bowed and hand clutching at his heart.
And I walked away.
***
Author's Notes (Sick of me yet?): First off, I thank my usual influences: Nessa-chan & Filia Ul Copt (read their fics!!!), my muse (Omae o korosu), L-sama for offering to HTML this for me, Amelia-chan for subjecting me to justice, and every wonderful person who has reviewed me (as uninspiring as the numbers are). So forward and onward. Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we call intrigue. Well, at least that's what I see it as. I specifically wrote this scene to be neutral in the matters of yaoi or non-yaoi. It's just one of those things that's subjective, even though I really don't think Trowa and Quatre were ever intended to be a couple of any sort. Deep friends---yes, lovers---not a chance in … well you know. And L7 is just some made up colony because I like the number 7, and here it is mentioned again … hmm … If there are any more questions, please, pretty please, feel free to leave me a note in a review or email me.
A sidenote (What else can she possibly have to say?!?): I have a rather large portion, two of three acts actually, of this story already written out and ready to be posted, but unless receive more feedback (negative or positive), I doubt that I will continue to post this fic on this site. I write these things for my own enjoyment, true, but there really isn't any reason to bother posting them if I'm not going to get any productive comments or suggestions out of it.