Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Losing Grip ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
LOSING GRIP 1/3
A Gundam Wing Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess

DISCLAIMER:
I don't own Gundam Wing. No money coming in, therefore no money can come out. Characters are used here without permission.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I haven't written a Gundam fanfic in like forever. Please don't hurt me. *hides in a corner* A bit sad I might have to warn you. This part is told from Duo's POV. Comments are always welcome.




The nightmares started just before the war ended.

The killing.

The violence.

The loud curses and the blood-curdling screams.

Visions of my past.

Thoughts about my future.

They kept me awake at night. With all the action going on around me it mattered little, you know. Sleep was simply something to do. I just put my focus where it needed to be. On good ol' Deathscythe. He'd never let me down once. Probably the best friend I'd ever had.

I don't think I'd still be around if it weren't for him.

Then the war ended. We won. I think. All I know is that there is no more war to fight and that my Gundam is being sent to the moon to be destroyed along with the others. It was good knowing you, Deathscythe. You'll be missed, buddy!

And then I was alone.

Well, not entirely.

I spent a few months selling scrap and making interplanetary deliveries. It was fun, the work. I always enjoyed being a pilot, even if it's not the inside of a gundam. After the second month passed, the nightmares had stopped and my life seemed to have a new meaning.

Then a new war broke out. Another Operation Meteor was about to begin. With Quatre's help we rescued our gundams from a certain fiery death and kicked some bad guy butt. All in a day's work.

One last good-bye to ol' Deathscythe and BOOM! He was gone. Never to return.

Life only had one meaning left.

Hilde.

It was great to finally be back in her company after being away. I never realized what a wonderful a person she really was. Her smile would light up a room on a dreary day. The pout on her face when she wouldn't get her way was mighty cute. The smell of her hair always lingered long after she'd left a room and I'd grown accustomed to the light teasing and gentle ribbing she'd give me on a bad day. I gave as good as I got after all.

We dated on and off for months, making the time to spend together but often times we were apart due to work. It's the nature of the business I suppose. Still, I spent every night with her I could, knowing that I could be flying only God knew where the next morning.

One particular morning stands out in my mind. The morning before I left on my latest delivery. It was a long journey through the colonies to the new Mars settlement. I had to get an early start. Hilde stirred beside me, her hand clutching at my elbow to keep me from getting out of bed.

"Don't go."

I gave her a sideways glance before leaning over to kiss her cheek. "Gotta make the bucks, love."

Her hold on my elbow tightened and when her eyes fully opened I could see the fear in them. "Please, just stay."

"Another dream?" I thought my dreams were bad. The nightmares had stopped again and hers had begun. I ran a soothing hand over her forehead, pushing hair out of her face. She felt warm. Did she have a fever?

She nods and I sigh. "It's a typical flight, Hilde. Ships make it every day. Nothing is going to happen." Leaning over I gave her another kiss, this one a gentle peck on the lips. "Everything will be fine, you'll see. I'll call you once I get to Mars so we can set up another delivery."

And I did call her. The delivery had been made without any problems, which was unusual since I always managed to forget some form of paperwork or other. I asked if there were any other pickups or deliveries. Hilde said that I should just come home. There was only one more delivery to make for the week and it wasn't for a few more days. So I did as she asked -- knowing full well that she was still upset about her nightmare, whatever that had been about -- and headed for home.

That's when the engines failed, the propulsion system died, the haul blew out and before I could flip a switch there was a major fire in the cockpit.

The ship then proceeded to blow up.

What a way to go! I know I didn't expect it!

My eyes are open and I can make out my surroundings. It's the same beige colored walls I've seen over the past three months. I can feel the same crisp white sheets around my body and hear the same steady beeping coming from one of the machines on my right. Or is that my left? Does it really matter?

I hear someone in the distance. Actually it's not that far away, perhaps a couple of feet. Someone's crying. I can hear the sobs plainly now.

Hilde.

I know she can't stand seeing me this way. It's a wonder she comes to see me at all. But I'm glad to see her (or rather, hear her). Even if I can't move my lips to tell her so. Move my hand so that I can hold hers. Hell, my body won't move at all!

I'm in a coma you see.

And life has no meaning for me anymore.

Am I imagining you, or you me? Why am I even bothering to tell you all this?

Shit, I must be losing it. That's it. I'm losing my grip. But I can't! Not just yet. There's still one more thing I want to ask Hilde. Still one more thing I have to do.

Kami, help me. I want to wake from this nightmare!


~TO BE CONTINUED~