Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Losing Grip ❯ Chapter 3 - Finale ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
LOSING GRIP 3/3
A Gundam Wing Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess

DISCLAIMER:
I don't own Gundam Wing. No money coming in, therefore no money can come out. Characters are used here without permission.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This part's not much more uplifting from the first. But I assure you it doesn't have a really sad ending. This part is told from Duo's POV. Comments are always welcome.




Who knew that my brain was such a desolate wasteland!

I feel like I've been stuck here for years, although it's only been a matter of months. Nothing to do, nothing to see. Just a plain black landscape with a bright white sky. Sometimes there's more black than white and sometimes more white than black, but it always remains the same.

What I wouldn't give for just a splash of color around here. ARGH!

I call my brain a desolate wasteland simply because there's nothing to do. Chasing after synapses waves became boring after the first day. There was no gun to shoot, and even if there were a gun, there'd be nothing to shoot at. No planes or shuttles. No other people to talk to and no one to listen to me bitch about it either.

Yep, it's pretty boring in here I have to say.

Occasionally I'll sit by as a memory rolls past. Mostly like the credits to a movie. In the past three months I've seen quite a few, mostly from my childhood.

The orphanage.

The church.

The slaughter.

These are the things that have made me the man I am today. Well, okay. SOME of the things that make me the man I am today. There are other instances. But these are the memories I've carried with me the longest.

And as I watch the last of them roll out of sight I have to think, 'Good riddance.'

Another set of memories begins to play and I lean back to watch the show. It's the first time I met Hilde while she was working for Oz. Damn but if that wasn't a good time. It starts to roll away but I stop it, forcing it to go in a different direction from the others.

The next is when Hilde cooked dinner for me for the first time. I was just after the war. Her vegetables were too dry and her meatloaf was overcooked. Still the humor was there and the company was good. When it moves to roll away, I force it to follow the previous memory on a different path.

There's a few more of Hilde before I start seeing memories of the guys. My fellow gundam pilots. Heero. Trowa. Quatre. Wufei. They roll by in succession. Occasionally I force them to move along with my other memories and sometimes I'm not quick enough to stop them.

A loud explosion catches my attention and I jump. I'm not sure why. There are no explosions here. At least I hope not.

Nope. It's just my memory of the accident. You know, the big bang that put me here. It happened so damn quick there was no time to react. That explosion was the last thing I really heard before I woke up in the hospital.

Then nothing.

I'm getting tired of this nothingness. I have better things to be doing with my time. Although, strangely, I can't think of what they could be.

The only thing I can think about is Hilde.

The landscape begins to shift. This isn't unusual in and of itself, but the reformation is. It's getting brighter in here and it damn near hurts to try to see. Then there's nothing. Well, that's nothing new. But it certainly is brighter. I wonder if I'll get a tan....

The light starts to fade a little, and I blink to allow my eyes to adjust. Again nothing out of the ordinary. I'm looking at the same tan colored walls of the hospital room that I'd seen for months.

But the sounds are very different. I can hear the steady beeping beside me getting louder and more persistent. There's a shuffling noise beside em and someone's leaning over the bed to look at the machines. It's a nurse. There's another nurse on my right checking my I.V. and other connections.

Somewhere in the distance I hear a chant of "Oh my God" and I know whose voice it is. It's her. Most definitely her.

"Hilde?"

God that sounded like shit. Didn't they give me any water or anything while I was out?

Wait a minute. I can hear. I can feel.

I can move.

"DUO!"

Her outcry catches the attention of a nurse. I see her walk into my line of vision. When she notices I'm awake she pushes Hilde aside to inspect me. I have to smile when Hilde pouts. She's not getting her way, at least not here.

And damn but it feels good to be able to smile. Although my jaw could use some exercise. What was I doing? Clenching my teeth in my sleep? OUCH!

After a half dozen nurses and two doctors, my bed is sitting upright enough for me to actually see everything in the room. It's a typical hospital room: a bed, a table, and a few chairs. The TV looked rather appealing. Watching something other than my own memories sounded wonderful! But that was not to be.

That is, until Hilde falls asleep.

She's lying beside me, much to the chagrin of the nurses on duty. There's enough room on this bed for two, seeing as how we've both lost some weight in the past three months. She's pouring out her heart to me too, and I can't tell her how good it is to hear her voice. REALLY hear her voice and not some echo that made it to my brain after minutes of scrutiny by the shitty security of my brain.

Her eyes close as she continues to talk. A bandaged hand carefully rubs her back gently as my chin rests on the top of her head. You ever wonder if you take things for granted? I beginning to realize that maybe I did.

Never again.




Over the next couple of days I realized a few things. The first is that my internal injuries were healed enough to let me go home. The doctors were happy to give me a clean bill of health. Hilde even went home to get some things for me.

The second is that being able to feel is a bitch. My first day wasn't bad, but when I woke up the next morning, everything hurt. And I mean everything! From that day forward the doctors put me on a strict physical regimen to help get me back into shape. After a week, they allowed me to eat a full course meal complete with all my faves. God love 'em.

The third realization didn't hit me until a few days ago, when Heero and Relena came to visit. Quatre came too. It was good to see them all. They're doing very well for themselves. But as we started to talk about old times I realized that...well, I guess I just didn't recall the good old days like my friends did. Those rolling memories, the ones I'd been able to force over to the opposite side, were the ones I remembered and could recall without incident.

But the others, well they were sorta lost for good.

The doctor decided to keep me a little longer for observation, much to Hilde's disappointment. But when he finally let me go, I took the biggest breath of fresh air I could.

The shuttle ride home was uneventful. Far from boring, just uneventful. I slept most of the way, moving only to eat or go to the bathroom. Hilde was right by my side the entire time. It was a bit much at first, but after a few hours, I got used to her constant coddling.

Actually it was kind of fun.

And now...my life has meaning again. After three months in a coma. After three more months of trying to rebuild my life and my body...I'm going to be a father.

Well, shoot. I guess this means I should ask Hilde to marry me.

It's what I've wanted to ask her all along.

I have to buck up now. No more losing grip.

And the next time Hilde has a dream. I'm going to listen.


~FIN~