Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love Lost and Found Again ❯ Crying out ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: A little violence in this one. Sorry, Ander's an ass. Um, review?
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing.
 
Chapter 8: Crying out
 
(Alex's POV)
 
Alex fell to the floor, touching her split lip and the bruises slightly. She glared at the man standing over her with his fists raised. To say Ander was pissed was an understatement. He was enraged and infuriated that Alex had left town, even if it was just two days.
 
He grabbed her hair and dragged her upwards. “What were you doing, bitch? I told you that you weren't allowed to leave me. You are mine forever. I own you.”
 
Alex closed her eyes to him, trying to block out the pain. That just made him angrier.
 
“Look at me, you fucking whore!” he bellowed, slapping her across the face. Her eyes flew open and she looked at him in rage. He smiled, cruelly, and said softly, “You know that I love you, sweetheart, and I won't hurt you if you love me too. But don't you fucking leave me again, or this church, your son, and everything you ever cared about will be gone. I'll make sure of that.”
 
Then he let her go and left her apartment. Alex slid down from the wall and crumpled into a heap and cried helplessly. Somebody save me.
 
--
 
After putting on makeup to hide the bruises, Alex pulled herself up and walked to Sister Marie's room and knocked.
 
“Sister? It's Alex.”
 
She heard the locks open and a blur of black passed by her as Felix hurtled himself into her and hugged her.
 
“Mommy! I missed you. Where d'you go?”
 
Alex smiled down at her son. “Hey sweetheart. I went to help a friend out. You know that nice lady that was playing with you before?” Felix nodded. “Well, she had to find some friends that Mommy knows so I helped her find them.”
 
“Fwends? What fwends?” Felix scrunched up his face adorably. “I don' remem'er Mommy's fwends were so fa'.”
 
She ruffled his hair. “Well, you've never met them honey, but maybe someday.” Alex looked up as she saw the nun standing in the doorway watching her. “Honey, why don't you go inside and pack your lunch. Today's a school day, remember?” She pushed him slightly and he grinned and said a quick “Bye Sister!” and left.
 
“You shouldn't stay around him, Alexandria,” Sister Marie said sadly. “He only hurts you more every time.”
 
Alex sighed inwardly. She had never told this new church why she had come to seek a life there. They had seemed untouched by the threats, and she wanted to keep it that way. She had moved away from the other church so that Ander would have fewer connections to his gangs, but it hadn't seemed to work. You were also trying to get away from Duo, reminded a little voice. He has to be safe too. At least Ander had approved the move, although he had moved along with her. “I have my reasons, Sister. Don't worry too much about me.” She gave a little smile. “How was Felix?”
 
Sister Marie's face broke into a smile, as she said, “He was an angel, as always. His father, Alex…” At Alex's troubled look, Sister Marie pressed on. “It's not…”
 
Alex's eyes widened as she let out a little laugh. “No, no of course not. I would never let Ander father a child from me,” she said, eyes flaring, but they softened as she continued quietly. “I loved… love his father.”
 
Sister Marie smiled at her softly and sadly. “When the church was built in this city, Sister Margaret asked for you to have a place to stay at this church. She always said what an angel you were to her and to take care of you. You were always followed by some sort of trouble. I think I understand, now. Go with God, child, and please be safe.”
 
--
 
The bruises Ander had infliected upon Alex hurt when she moved. She did her best trying to smile for her customers, but in the end even her boss had seen through it.
 
“Go home, take a break. Take a sick day, I know you've only used one since I first hired you,” her boss said, patting her own the head paternally. “You've got to take care of yourself, or nobody will be around to take care of that little boy of yours.”
 
Alex had tried to refuse, but the pain went searing through her that she bit her lip and meekly accepted his offer. She left work for the day and went home to lie down and rest.
 
--
 
Weeks passed. She heard on the news of the successful return of Relena Peacecraft's fiancé. They were to be married in a couple of months in a city nearby. Relena had personally invited her when she came by to visit. She informed Alex about how the pilots had figured out how to find her fiancée and rescue him before any of the threats were able to be carried out. Relena also mentioned casually that all the pilots were doing all right, and they all missed her very much.
 
“Oh, but they don't know I'm here to visit you. It's the wedding preparations, you know,” Relena grinned. “I want you to be at my wedding if you can. And if you could bring Felix, of course. I won't tell them you'll be there, but you helped get my fiancée back, so I want you there. You're like a sister to me! You have to be there.”
 
Alex grinned. Relena and she had gotten along quite well despite their disparaging clothing choices. Relena had told her that she guessed who the father was, and Alex had finally opened up and confided in her a little about her stay at their hideout, but left out everything about Ander. She was the closest thing to a family outside of Felix that Alex had now. “I don't know if I'll be able to make it, but I'll try. I don't have a dress though…”
 
Relena cut her off quickly, “I never returned that outfit to you, so I'll buy you one. You can't use that as an excuse.” Relena looked a little uncomfortable for a moment as she said that, but then she lit up. “Let's go shopping now! You've got time haven't you? And we can buy a nice little outfit for Felix as well. Oh he would be the perfect little ring bearer! Would you let him?”
 
Alex smiled involuntarily. She couldn't imagine a cuter ring bearer, but she wasn't sure if her opinion was too objective. “I don't know, Relena. They'll know I'm there then, won't they?”
 
Frowning, Relena said thoughtfully, “Well, they don't know what Felix looks like, so I don't think it should be much of a problem. As long as you stay lost in the crowd, it should be fine.”
 
“Well, I'll think about it. And I'll ask Felix if he wants to do it.” With that, the matter was pushed to the back of their minds as they picked up Felix for some shopping.
 
--
 
Alex was exhausted. After a full day with Relena and Felix shopping and then playing at the park, they had gone for some dinner and ice cream where Relena also insisted on paying. After putting Felix to bed and singing him his goodnight song, she stretched and walked out onto the little balcony.
 
She was staring out at the stars, and wondering about what Duo was doing, when all of a sudden a voice cried out brokenly,
 
“Alex?”