Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love Lost and Found Again ❯ Found ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I've been updating a lot recently. I guess it's my impatience with myself to see the end of the story. Hope you're enjoying. POV switching time again. Review please.
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing.
 
Chapter 9: Found
 
(Duo's POV)
 
After the Relena affair had been wrapped up - it had only taken about a week to track down the culprits and another to infiltrate and rescue the man - Duo finally had time to think. Every night he had buried his face in the clothing that Relena had left with him while he slept in her old bed. Every night he would hold the cross until he fell asleep. But it was finally time to do something.
 
He sat down and stared at his laptop screen. Relena had to have met up with Alex in order to find their hideout. Unless Alex was nearby - which was highly unlikely as he had combed the area - or she took a plane or shuttle to get here. Duo thought, carefully, and pulled up the records of flights coming in the day Relena arrived. He crowed with delight when he found a “Miss Lena Darlian” listed coming from an airport in Sunny City, which was couple cities away. His laughed harder as he saw the name of the passenger beside her - a “Miss Nombre Siete*”. How could he have missed that? He quickly packed his bags and leaving a quick scrawled note for the guys and putting a kiss on the cross around his neck, he left for Sunny City.
 
*Nombre means name, and Siete means seven in Spanish.
 
--
 
Duo spent a long time wandering the city, trying to find out where Alex would live. He finally bethought himself of the cross and headed for the local church to ask if they would have any idea how to find her. He never expected to see her leaning out of a balcony window staring at the stars.
 
He couldn't believe it, and his voice cracked as he cried out, “Alex?”
 
The woman on the balcony looked down and her eyes widened. “Duo,” she breathed. And then she shook her head, as if trying to shake out the memories, saying, “You can't be here, Duo. Go home.” Then she left the balcony and closed the doors.
 
Duo stood in shock, staring at the window. She walked away from him. His mouth set in a determined line, he marched into the little apartment building next to the church and straight up to her door and picked it without any qualms. Alex was curled up on the couch, but the second he entered her head shot up.
 
“I told you to go home! You can't be here,” Alex frowned. “And you can't just pick locks.”
 
Duo sighed, brushing his bangs back from his face. Ignoring the last comment, he said, “Look Alex, I've spent a long time trying to find you. The least you could do is offer me a place to stay. And maybe an explanation is in order as well.” He stopped and then grinned as he said, “Because, well I've decided that you should just give me your hand and let's get married tonight because I love you and I realized that I can't live without you.”
 
Alex sat with her mouth gaping open in an “o” as she stared at him. He grinned again, his devil-may-care grin that she loved so much, and ambled over and said, “You're going to catch flies with that mouth open.” And then he leaned in to kiss her.
 
--
 
(Alex's POV)
 
Her eyes closed from the sensation of the kiss. Ah to kiss Duo again was a dream. She sighed. Perhaps this was all a dream and when she opened her eyes again, he would be gone. Then a tongue pressed into her mouth and the awareness of the reality of the situation burst through her.
 
She quickly pushed him away and spluttered, “Duo, y-you can't just w-walk into a random someone's home and just k-ki-kiss them!”
 
Duo trapped her in on the couch effectively with his arms and legs forming a cage around her. “Of course not. But I know you, and I love you so it's not random if I kiss you.” With that he leaned down and kissed her again with more force.
 
Alex surrendered to the sensation, letting herself open up the feelings she had held in check for all these years. Her eyes slid closed as Duo's questing tongue explored her mouth, so achingly familiar and so new.
 
“Mommy?” Alex's eyes snapped open again and she shoved Duo off her. Felix was standing in the doorway of his room wearing Duo's old shirt and rubbing his eyes.
 
She rushed over to him, kneeling down and hugging the boy. “Hey baby, what's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?” Felix shook his head slightly. Alex said, hesitantly, “Is it because you heard Mommy talking outside?” Felix ducked his head in assent. “Come on, sweetheart, go to sleep and you can meet Mommy's friend tomorrow.”
 
“Mommy's fwend? Auntie `Lena's fwend too?” Felix asked, tilting his head to stare at the stranger curiously.
 
Alex smiled as she led him firmly into his room and to his bed. “Yes, He's Auntie Relena's friend. But you'll meet him tomorrow okay? I love you, good night.”
 
“Luff you Mommy,” came the muffled reply from under the covers. Then Alex got up and turned off his light and closed the door.
 
She sighed as she walked back into the living room.
 
“Is that…” Duo started hesitantly. “Is he… Relena told me that…”
 
Alex brought her eyes up to meet his and she said firmly, “You don't have to worry about him. He's my son.” She paused for a moment before answering his question, “But yes.”
 
Duo smiled weakly at her. “His eyes are like mine. And the shirt…”
 
Alex turned away, not being able to meet his eyes. “I can't just leave here with you. Felix has a good life here at the church. Everyone loves him. I can't just leave because…” She gulped and decided to stick with the truth. “Because I still love you,” she finished quietly. She continued after a moment as she studied her floor. “I have a job and a life here. So please, just go away.”
 
Suddenly she felt arms circling around her and his voice in her ear as he whispered, “I'm not going anywhere.” A sudden thought came to her head: Ander will kill both of them, both Duo and Felix.
 
She broke away desperately, her eyes full of fear. “No. You have to leave. Please,” she begged. “Please leave now.”
 
Duo's eyes were unreadable as he studied her. Then with a small quirk in his mouth, he said, “I can't.” Before Alex could protest further, he grinned, “You promised the kid I would be able to meet him. You can't go back on that.”
 
Alex looked at him warily and then closed her eyes. Her shoulders slumped in resignation, she sighed, “All right, but only for tonight. Let me get you some blankets. You're sleeping on the couch.”
 
--
 
(Duo's POV)
 
The couch wasn't the place he had imagined where he would be when he met up with Alex again. He had hoped that he would be able to show her that he loved her again and they would end up sleeping in the same bed at least. That was a bit optimistic though. Perhaps I should be glad she let me stay in the apartment at all, Duo thought, as he pulled himself awake the next morning. At least she admits she still loves me. I can work with that. He opened his eyes only to be greeted with enormous violet eyes staring back at him curiously.
 
“Mornin' Mistah Fwend!” said Felix happily. He was grinning and munching on a piece of toast while he stood next to the couch where Duo was sleeping.
 
Duo couldn't help but grin at the little boy. “Hey kid, want to know a secret?” Felix's nose scrunched up as he weighed out the good and bad of hearing it. Deciding that there was nothing to lose, he nodded solemnly. Duo's eyes twinkled, as he leaned close to his ear and whispered in a conspiratory voice, “My name's not Mister Friend. It's Duo.”
 
Felix's eyes widened in delight, and he chirped happily, “Okay Mistah Duo!” Then he bounded off toward his mother's room with a little tail of hair flapping against his back. Duo heard Felix exclaim happily to his mother, “Mistah Duo waked up. Can we play now?” and he chuckled. This was going to be interesting.
 
--
 
(Alex's POV)
 
One night had turned into two, and then into five. He'd helped out around the church, repairing leaky roofs and cleaning floors. He had even helped out at the café where Alex worked. He was fitting in really nicely, and it felt as if he had been there forever and life was finally feeling good. But that was when Ander showed up again.
 
Duo was out, taking Felix to buy groceries. Felix had embraced having a father figure in his life with full force and he was now as much of a chatterbox as Duo was. It was rather interesting trying to get in a word with them both speaking. They had tried explaining to him that Duo was actually his father, and the only effect that had was that Duo was now “Daddy Duo” but the roughhousing and laughter were very much the same.
 
Alex sighed in contentment as she cleaned up the apartment, and as she was vacuuming, she didn't have any warning as to the man who walked up behind her until she felt hands around her neck. Before she knew it the vacuum plug had been viciously yanked out of the wall, and she was being held with her feet a foot above the ground against the wall and choking.
 
“Who's the guy, sweetheart?” Ander sneered. “I don't think I have to remind you that having another guy around sharing your bed also breaks our bargain. Do you really want to see something happen to your dear little Felix?” He squeezed her neck a little before letting her go and she crumpled into a heap gasping for air.
 
As she fought to control her breath, she looked up at Ander, fear at last coloring her eyes. “He's just a friend,” she managed to croak out. “He's been sleeping on my couch and helping out at the church. I'm not sleeping with him.”
 
Ander smiled cruelly and acted nonchalant as he took out a switchblade from his pocket. He snapped it open and slid the edge along her arm, leaving a line of blood welling at the shallow cut. “I don't really care, Alex. Get rid of him, or I will.” With that threat looming in the air, he left her, staring wide-eyed into the space in front of her. What am I going to do? Duo…
 
--
 
(Duo's POV)
 
“You have to leave.”
 
“What?” Duo frowned as he examined and tended to the cut on her arm. He muttered, “How could you have cut yourself so cleanly, anyway. You must be clumsier in the kitchen than I am.”
 
“Duo, are you even listening to me?” Her voice had gone a bit higher, indicating her stress.
 
“Of course, but I already told you I'm not going to leave.” Duo frowned again. I thought we had already gotten past the leaving thing. Everything was going right, and she was starting to warm up to him again, but now she wanted him to leave again? What happened today?
 
Alex gave an exasperated sigh. “Duo!” And she turned away from him, but not before he glimpsed something beneath her collar.
 
Duo grabbed her by the arm, and pushed down the high collar of her shirt. So that's why she changed. “Who threatened you?” Duo's voice became deadly quiet. As she stood silent for a full minute, he shook her, his voice retaining its deadly calm. “Tell me. Who the fuck was choking you, Alex?”
 
Alex just glared at him defiantly. “I can take care of myself Duo. Just stay out of my life.” She wrenched her arm out of his grasp and headed to her room.
 
Duo let out a growl. No prick was going to mess with his girl and get away with it. He stormed out of the little apartment, and went outside to vent his anger. He didn't want Felix seeing his Shinigami side.
 
“Mister Maxwell?” came a voice, quietly.
 
Duo spun around, his braid wrapping around him. He sighed, it was just Sister Marie. They had met while he was helping out at the church, and she reminded him strongly of how Sister Helen used to be. He smiled wanly at her while trying to keep his emotions in check. “Hello Sister.”
 
“Could you come inside? I want to talk to you about Alex.”
 
Duo's eyes narrowed and he followed the Sister into the little room.
 
--
 
“There is a man who beats her,” Sister Marie said quietly. Halting Duo's furious outburst with a simple upraised hand, she looked at him, “I thought it was you, at first. I was afraid that dear Alex had gone too far and was actually living with her tormenter. But after seeing you with her, and with Felix, I knew it wasn't you.”
 
Duo's eyes welled with tears that he furiously wiped away with clenched hands. “How long?” he grated out.
 
Sister Marie's eyes darkened, “Since before she moved here, my son. She tries to protect Felix, and I suspect that she is trying to protect our church as well, but I know she cannot go on this way, not without breaking.”
 
Duo swore and then caught himself. “Sorry. Do you know who he is?”
 
Sister Marie shook her head regretfully. “I can't tell you anything except that he is a very violent man. Maybe they came from the same city, although I can't remember where she used to live. I could perhaps find out from my records…”
 
“No that's okay.” Duo was thinking quickly. “I think I know where he's from. Sister Marie, could I ask you something?” She nodded in the affirmative. “Take care of Alex for a little while. I will be back to find her when I solve this.”
 
“Mister Maxwell, don't be careless.” Sister Marie's solemn face broke into a smile unexpectedly. “You're Felix's father aren't you? I can see the resemblance. I hope you come back soon. The little boy would miss you an awful lot. And Alex would miss you as well. She's loved you for a long time.”
 
Duo smiled. She had no idea that the words would mean so much to him. “I will. I'll try to be back soon. Goodbye.”