Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mars Children: The Great Confusion ❯ Well, I'll be damned! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mars Children
Part two: The great confusion
Chapter one: Well, I'll be damned!
Author: Supurrkitty


The sun smiles on the new day
flowers open, birds sing
this is a time for joy and renew
this is morning


The sun had started it's daily race toward the top of the sky, on a tuesday morning. Everyone was excited, for the pilots were coming back from their mission.
While still being excited, one must still sleep. One deep sleeper was the last awake, Haruki.
The sun krept up Haruki's body, only lightly stirring her. She pulled the covers up higher on her. The sun was coming up, but it was still a chilly winter day.then Haruki felt something on her ear. She supposed it was a fly and flicked it off. Then it came back, harder. Again, she flicked it off. Then she could feel something cover her nose and her air supply was stopped. She was forced to open her mouth to breath. She grabbed what was blocking her nose, it seemed to be a hand. She jumped up to confront her attacker, but was met by two, blue, braided boy eyes. Haruki jumped off the bed and into Duo's arms.
" Duo!" She squeeled with delight " I'm so happy you came back!"
" I missed you" He said
" Me too" Haruki said, then hit him accross the head." Now don't do that again!"
Duo rubbed his head and looked down at the glaring Haruki, who then smiled.
" Did you say Hi to Sakura on your way in?" Haruki asked
" She's still asleep." He said, gesturing to the next room.
" Really? She usually wakes up by now." Haruki said, confused. " Oh well, let's go see the others! I'll go get dressed."
Haruki got dressed and they both went downstairs, where the other pilots and the other girls were.
" Hey guys!" Haruki said. " I see you're all alive."
" Yup! None of us went crazy either!" Akira said, smiling.
" How'd the mission go?" Haruki asked
" Nothing, that ship must still be in space. If Hilde doesn't come back with anything, we'll have to do this again." Heero said.
" Again...?" Haruki stared at him and he nodded.
" Then I would go with you." She stated.
" Rrriiiight..." Heero said.
Haruki frowned then walked over to Akira.
" Was he this bad the whole trip?" She asked and Akira nodded.

After they had all gotten settled down and went back to their respectable places...

Duo and Haruki played with their cheerful daughter, Sakura, when a hand came up to them.
" Have you seen master Quatre? There is a strange girl wandering the premises." The guy said.
Haruki and Duo looked at eachother, then at the dude.
" No, we haven't seen him. You could take us to the girl, though." Duo said.
The guard nodded and Duo and Haruki, holding Sakura, fallowed him to the front of the building. There, they saw a warm-dressed girl looking like she had no idea where she was. Haruki supposed that she was taller than her. She had dark blue hair, almost like Umeko's, but darker. it was tied into a ponytail that went halfway down her back. She looked up at the huge building, then saw Haruki and Duo.
" Hilde!?" Duo was shocked at how she had changed.
She stared at him then smiled widely.
" Duo!" She shouted, then ran to him and hugged him. He jumped back as she giggled.
" You're so much taller!" Hilde said
" Um, you... too. I see you grew out your hair..." Duo said, being glomped.
Haruki looked at them and blinked, wide-eyed.
Hilde let go.
" It's been so long." She said " I haven't heard from you in so long. You've changed so much"
" More than you might think" Haruki said, walking up to them.
Hilde looked at her and at Sakura.
" How cute! A baby! I guess one of the boys finally tied the knot?" She asked, admiring the baby.
" Eh-heh-he,... um, yeah.......me..." Duo said, looking at Haruki look at Hilde.
" No shit! You, the braided Shinigami, have a misses Shinigami!? That's so wierd!" Hilde said, then faced Haruki.
" It's nice to finally meet you." Haruki said and put out her hand" My name is Haruki."
Hilde shook her hand.
" My name is Hilde Shbeiker, Hacking, preventer extrodinair. Nice to meet the capturer of a God's heart." She said
" Yeah, it's kind of hard to do that when you're a demon." Haruki said
" What?" Hilde said
Duo pulled Haruki to his side.
" Oh, nothing." He said, then whispered to Haruki " Let's not tell her about that, k angel?"
Haruki smiled at him " K."
Hilde looked at them, confused.
" Oookay... Well, can I come in?" Hilde asked, smiling. They all went in and Quatre met them at the door.
" I heard there was a girl around here an... Hello Hilde! Nice to see you again!"
" You too. I was the wandering girl in case you were wondering." Hilde smiled at him.
" I've got the info y'all asked for" Hilde pulled a disk out of her pocket. " It all seems pretty normal, except for one ship. You have a computer around here?" Hilde asked.
" Yeah, in this room, over here." Quatre said and they all went to a room with a bunch of computers in it, pressumably a computer room.
Hilde sat down at one and stuck the disk in. A screen popped up, giving a large list of ships and where they were from. She clicked on an unregistered ship from L1. A screen, showing the map of the ship popped up. Hilde went to a version that showed all metals. There was one room that showed that it was lined with one type of chemical, but only in small groups spread all around it.
" See, I can't figure this out." She pointed out the areas. " This room is lined with Carbon, like there was a fire or something,but it has a ton of tiny holes or spaces the scanner couldn't pick it up. And everything past that is empty. I don't get it." Hilde said.
Haruki leaned in closer to the screen.
" Carbon eh?"
" Yup." Hilde confirmed
" Ya see how all the holes are spread appart evenly?"
" Yeah."
" That means it's a compound, but with what? The scanners can't get past it soooo... Boron! It's Boroncarbite!"
" Wouldn't the scanners pick up more than just the carbon?"
" Not necessarily, ya see Boron is not a Metal, or a non-metal, it's a Metaloid. Here. Switch it to all chemicals, not just the basic elements."
Hilde typed in and the Boron and some other Chemicals showed up.
" Well, I'll be damned! But why is there still nothing beyond that?" Hilde asked.
" Boron takes on reflective properties, when in contact with oxygen. Mixing it with Carbon intesifies that, making it even reflective to scanners."
" So, whoever did this has had some time to think about it"
" What I can't understand is where they got the supplies to do this."
" Hmm?"
" Boron and Carbon can only be mixed under extremely high pressures and Boron only melts at a very high temperature, I believe 1,300 degrees Celcius."
" Then, if this person can do that, they could be capable of many things, bad things."
" Exactly, Let's just hope that this thing is on our side, whatever that is."
The boys watched as Haruki explained.
" How do you know all this, Haruki?" Quatre asked, amazed.
" Yeah. How do you know this?" Hilde asked.
" I have an...interesting background..." Haruki said, everyone continued to stare at her, till she became annoyed. " Well, y'all never asked! I didn't think you were interested in crap like that, I know I never was."
" You obviously listened." Duo stated
" It's hard to get things past these ears." Haruki said and walked toward the door. " Ya guys want a drink or what?"
" Sure." Hilde said and Haruki went out of the room.
" I need to go finish some papers real quick, I'll be back." Quatre exited.
Hilde turned toward Duo. " You have a very interesting wife, Duo."
" He-he,... yeah." Duo said, rubbing the back of his head.
" So, where'd you meet her, she why we haven't talked this whole time?"
" Wh-what? Yeah and no, but... I...just didn't...know where to find you. Ha-haruki? I um..." Duo stretched his brain to make something up(he couldn't tell the truth, the truth was stranger than fiction)
" Well, we just bumped into each other one day and it all went from there." Duo laughed.
" How cute. Classic. But what's the whole story? huh?" Hilde asked
" The whole story?" Duo asked, nervously.
" How'd you fall for each other?"
" Oh, well she had to find her sister, and didn't know Earth too well..."~Doh! Too much! too much! excuse! fast! now!!~ " She's from the colonies." ~sounds familiar~ " So, by chance, I was volunteered to bring her to Japan."
" You were volunteered?"
" Yeah, I guess the others find me a bit annoying. So, I brought her to Japan. We had a few... set-backs..."
" set-backs? like what? sounds good." Hilde kneeled in closer.
" Well, we searched through some shrines, I accidently saw her naked, she broke a girl's nose, funny old ladys, curses, flaming badgers, and what-not. Then I told her I loved her, she told me she loved me. We had a day or two together, then she had to leave."
" leave? why? when'd she come back?"
~Too much again! Damn!~ " Um, she worked for the government. You know me, never a normal life. I never thought I'd see her again, neither did she. One day, she just came back. She was sick and I just happened to be the one to find her, actually Quatre did, but I was the one that sat down by her bed and waited for her to wake up, Damnit!" Duo started to get frustrated.
" Oh, I get it!" Hilde said, with a mischevious look on her face.
" What!? Get what?"
" Quatre had a thing for her, didn't he?"
" No!"
" Yes he did! I know these things!"
"...Allright! Maybe he did, but she was mine the whole time!"
" Fine, fine. And then?"
" Well, we stayed together, obviously."
" How'd you propose?"
Duo thought long and hard, he really didn't propose.
" Well, a few years later, we went back to Japan kinda like an anniversary. So, we were at the shrine, we attended a wedding, saw a stupid magic shop hag, and I finally decided to propose. Again, a bumpy road. I tried at the carnival, interrupted by badgers. Then I tried in a Cherry tree field, a toad. I tried the traditional dinner proposal, and the place was robbed. I tried at the beach, volleyball players. I tired on the plane ride home, unhappy stewardess'. So I gave up and just put the ring by her when she was sleeping. A few days later, I found her planning the wedding, I never got a straight answer from her. So, we got married, I'll show you the pictures later, then about half a year later we had our daughter, Sakura. Now, we're just trying to live through this clone stuff, and new stuff just keeps popping up. We never had a normal relationship, that's impossible."
" Wow." Hilde said, wide-eyed. " tough life, but I see you've kept your up-beat look on life. She seems good for you."
" Yeah." Duo said
" So, did it affect your friendship?"
" What?"
" Are you and Quatre still friends? I mean, after you married Haruki and all..."
" Of course! Well, we moved away for a while after I found out about Quatre, but by the time Haruki and I got married, we had come to terms."
" You can't leave them alone in a room together, can you?"
" No I can't. But I'm working on it!"
" You're so predictable. Quatre does need a girlfriend, though."
" Not if it's gonna be my wife!"
" Well, what about... Cathy?"
" Knives."
" Dorothy?"
" Scary."
" I saw a blue haired girl around here..."
" That's Akira's sister, and she's all over Trowa."
" What about Akira?"
" Akira? ... I never thought about that, I mean. She's so... and Quatre's so..." Duo started trailing.
" Their so what?"
" Well, Akira is such a strong person and Quatre is...well...not."
" They might be perfect for each other, you never know."
" They've known each other for a while. I think they care for each other deeply, they just won't admit it."
" See."
" And Akira is a very nice person, she gets herself into bad relationships, though."
" You should set them up."
" Me!? I'll talk to her sister..."
Haruki walked in, hearing part of the conversation.
" Quatre and Akira...sounds good to me!" Haruki gave them drinks.
Haruki looked over the map of the ship again. " We should show the others. We need to find this ship. If they go around with this kind of technology..."
" She's right, we need to get out there quickly, before the ship can move too far."
Quatre came back in.
" The Gundams are pretty much ready to go. We have to talk to Relena first, though." Quatre said
" I can really understand why a clone would want to get out of the Mars base, but why go to so many lengths to cover up whatever's in that room of the ship?" Haruki asked no one.
" Well, one thing is for sure, it's not going to end here." Hilde said
" This is starting to get really weird." Duo said

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On L2~

A young girl stood in front of the lion cage, behind the circus tent. She was in a large cloth that hooded over her head, covering up most of her face. The end of the rag revealed her bare, worn feet. She watched as the large cat paced at the bars. It occasionally growled at the air. The movements amazed the young girl. The fur, teeth, and claws astonished her. Yet, she knew its actions weren't natural. She kneeled down to its height right up at the cage.
The Circus manager worked through the cages, feeding all the animals, until he came across the lion cage. A child knelt before the angry animal.
" Child! You must stay away from that lion, he is not friendly! He's a beast!" The manager yelled, running to help the girl.
The girl quickly jerked her head towards the manager. The hood covered up most of her face, but the man could see the piercing glare of her deep and frightening blue eyes. The manager stopped dead in his tracks, this was no normal girl.
Wisps of her dark green hair moved like whips as she turned her head back to the lion, who was now looking at her. He looked at her, as if enchanted by her actions towards the other human, but even more enchanted by the depth in this human's eyes. The lion sat down in front of the girl, giving her his full attention. She reached in and stroked behind the lions ear. He started to pur like a house cat.
" I understand." The girl spoke softly "the feeling... you are not the beast."
The girl let her hand slide through the bars as she smoothly stood up. The lion stood up with her. He seemed to understand her words, what they meant. But the words left the circus manager baffled.
The girl gave the lion one last look and smiled, then looked at the manager once more, then walked off. The lion began to roar and went to the end of the cage, where the girl was. She turned around.
" Your day will come." Yet again, the lion knew.
The girl walked off.
The manager pondered what it meant. He had never seen anything like that. She calmed the raging lion, and spoke like an angel. Yet, the eyes, while being deep, seemed empty. With integrity and power that he had only seen one other place. Her eyes held the sorrow and darkness only found in a Gundam pilot.