Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Masquerade ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Eight

Sage woke up in Quatre's arms. He looked a little tired, and smiled down at her as she yawned.

"Good Morning, sleepyhead.." His eyes were kind.

"Why didn't you go?" Sage asked.

"Every time I pulled away you began to cry... I just couldn't..."

Sage reached up and stroked his cheek with her hand. He lifted up his hand and pressed hers to his cheek. They smiled at each other, and then Sage pulled away quietly.

She stood and stretched, then sat down by him again.

"Why am I so afraid of him?" Sage looked at her feet quietly.

"I don't know.. The human mind works in funny ways. Just as I know that Heero wouldn't ever hurt a co-worker, you seem to think he is out to get you. I know what he did last week was a little odd, but maybe you're taking it a bit far?" Sage tensed.

"You would be afraid too if you found yourself looking down the barrel of a gun with no way out!" She spit it out, eyes angry.

Quatre looked at the ground. Sage sighed harshly and clambered back into bed, crossing her arms and looking at the floor. Quatre said nothing for a moment, then frowned slightly.

"Sage-You're acting like a child." With this, he stood and walked out. Sage went limp. He was right. She had to face it, face her fears or nothing would ever get done. She was a Gundam pilot, wasn't she? She had better start acting like one. She stood, then immediately sat down again as pain coursed through her ankle. She had almost forgotten, she was an invalid-at least for the time being. But when she was back-watch out world!

Sage yawned and stood. Testing her ankle, she found it to be perfectly usable again, even better than before. She stretched again. Now…what to do, what to do? Sage grinned as she waltzed into the main kitchen of the base, pulled Duo's braid as she walked by, and seated herself on her chair at the kitchen table. Quatre glanced at her as she said her hello's to everyone, but said nothing. Trowa laid the BLT's on the table. Sage grinned and took one. Through mouthfuls of BLT she threw peas at Heero, who snorted viciously when one hit him smack in the forehead. Sage stifled a giggle. Duo looked happy, happier than he had looked in a long while, he seemed to be enjoying the Heero bashing as much as Sage was. Quatre smiled a grim little smile. Duo poked him.

"Hey! What's up with the long face?" The braided pilot was all but melancholy.

"I'm fine-don't worry about me." He smiled encouragingly, then shifted his gaze back to Sage. Duo shrugged and frowned. He turned back to his conversation with Trowa.

Sage stood and brushed off her hands. Taking her plate to the sink, she washed it and put it away. Quatre followed suit, and followed her out the door. In the hall, he caught up with her.

Sage shrugged him off as he tapped her on her shoulder. "What?" She asked irritably.

"Sage-" Quatre looked hopelessly at her as he moved alongside her.

"Look-I don't want to talk to you. I have things to do…"

Quatre's eyes flashed. "Like what?" He said matter-of-factly.

Sage stopped. "Like-well-I have things to do!" She snorted and started off again, her walk quickened by quite a bit. Quatre took off after her and slid in her path.

"You can't keep this up Sage! You know what I said the other night was true, you're just too stubborn to admit it!" Quatre refused to let her go any farther. Sage growled low in her throat and dived under his arm. She picked up a sprint, and dashed into a broom closet. Hearing Quatre outside, she shushed her breathing and didn't make a sound.

"Found you!" Quatre crowed triumphantly as he opened the closet door. Sage shrank back. She growled, and tried to dive under his arm again, but he caught her across the chest and pinned her to the wall.

"Now listen to me!" He said in a very firm, very annoyed tone. Sage snarled but stayed put. Quatre let her go.

"If you hadn't been such a baby back there I might have told you already. I was going to ask if you wanted to see your Gundam, but I guess it doesn't matter-now does it?" He took a step back and Sage looked down helplessly. She said nothing.

Quatre lifted up her face with his hand. Even then, when he was filled with anger, his heart stirred as he looked into her eyes. "Now then-come on." He took her by the hand, and she followed obediently, if a little listlessly.

The Gundam hangar was humungous. It held six of them, each being worked on separately. Quatre led her to a big, impressive deep maroon one. Sage looked up, and her breath caught.

It was magnificent. As the light played across the Gundanium alloy it was built of Sage reached up and touched it.

"Epyon…" Quatre's voice broke through to her. "Beam Sword and Hot Rod, Close range fighting Gundam." He looked up.

"It's beautiful…" Sage whispered.

"And powerful. It can take a pilot's mind and turn it inside out. It takes control of you and won't let go…" Quatre shuddered and Sage stepped back from Epyon. She timidly laid a hand on his arm.

"Why me then? Why was I chosen for it?"

Quatre didn't reply. Sage didn't press the matter. As they left the hangar they walked into the garden, talking quietly.

"What was your life like before all of this?" Sage looked up at the boy beside her.

Quatre looked pained a moment, and didn't answer. Sage looked at her feet as they walked around in silence.

"I remember my mom. And dad. They were everything a kid could wish for. Kind, loving, supportive. And my dog. Kelly, her name was. Sweet little Irish Setter." Quatre looked at her in astonishment.

"You were lucky. I never knew my mother. My father died in front of my eyes. My father-he resented me. I was only an heir to him." He looked away from her. Sage slipped her arm around his.

"I don't resent you." She whispered softly up at him. He turned and looked at her sadly-then away again. Sage looked at the ground as they walked.

"They plucked you out of a happy life. I had nothing to lose. The other pilots the same. But you-innocent and so forgiving…" He lifted her face up with one hand under her chin and smiled at her. Sage frowned slightly, then pulled away.

Weapons of War. Weapons. Weapons. Think weapons. War. Be strong Sage. She let go of his arm and turned, her back to him.

"Sage?" Quatre sounded hurt.

"I-I'm sorry. I just cant. We are Weapons of War, Quatre. Nothing more. I'm sorry!" She took off at a run, tears flying behind her.

Left alone, Quatre watched her until she was gone. Weapons of war. It had hurt. The pilot wounded in more than body-but soul-turned back and made his way to the base.