Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Accepted ❯ Mission Accepted 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This applies to this and all future chapters of this fic as well. I do not own Gundam Wing. I am using the characters for my personal use and nothing else.

Mission Accepted: Chapter One...

Relena had walked down the street for a little time to herself. She’d been in an office or a meeting full of people all day, and she just felt the need for a little peace and quiet. But that was until she found herself in front of Preventers’ Headquarters. She remembered that she had been there every day for a while after it had been formed. She wanted to see Heero, make sure that he didn’t run away from her again. But, that stopped after her brother, Zechs, told her not to go anymore, that she would just get in the way and soon become a burden and annoy them all. That was when she stopped.

Relena went through her mind counting the time. It had been a few months before she then came again. She went in and said hello to everyone that was there and found Heero. He looked her in the eyes as she walked over to him, giving her the emotionless stare that he usually had on his face. Nothing was readable. Relena then thought, ‘Well, I haven’t seen him in a while and I probably won’t see him again for a while... I want to feel it again. To be in his arms once more...’ She went up and put her hands around his neck and gave him a big hug, squeezing him to herself. Then Relena walked off, not looking back at him, just walking off missing the very rare, very surprised look on his face.

But that was a little while ago as well. Now she was standing in front of the headquarters wonder what she should do. Well, no sense in missing the chance to say hi again. Though it might be a little awkward seeing Heero, being at the headquarters around all of her friends and people she’d come to know over the years made her feel more at home than being anywhere else did.

So, Relena went into the building. Going past the secretary’s desk, flashing a smile to the large woman there, she entered the room beyond through the glass doors. Past the security bars, there was a lounge type sitting area and then to her left there were a few elevators as well. She passed a mirror by a potted plant while walking toward the elevators and saw her reflection. Ok, so she didn’t look the best, big deal. She took her hair down and got rid of all the bumps and stray hairs there and straightened her dark grey jacket and skirt. There, perfect. She looked decent.

Proceeding toward the elevator, a few people recognized her and waved. Naturally, she waved back at them and gave her best political smile. Then it was off to the elevators for an escape before she got caught up with something like talking to someone. On the third floor up was Zechs’ office. She proceeded there first. There wasn’t any music in the elevator, which was a good thing, most sounded like they belonged in a retirement home. Relena stuck her head out of the elevator, letting her body follow afterwards. That was quite strange, there was no one in the halls. She couldn’t hear any phones ringing, and no one was scurrying about with piles of files and papers in their hands. It was empty. This was weird, no, it was freaky, even that didn’t suit it. This atmosphere didn’t suit Preventers’ headquarters.

Relena walked down the hall, counting the doors, listening to her heels on the marble flooring echo in the emptiness that was the floor. Zechs’ office was the last door at the end of the hallway. When she reached it, Relena knocked lightly and opened the door. No one was there either.

“Where is everyone?” Relena headed toward the elevator. It had gone up a few floors up so she had to press the button a few times again. When the doors opened, Relena was relieved to see that there was at least someone in the building, even if it was Wufei. She didn’t know him very well, didn’t know him much at all really. He didn’t agree with her way of doing things very much and he hardly talked at all. That was about the extent of her knowledge of Wufei, just a quiet guy.

“Coming?” Wufei asked. She didn’t realize that she’d been standing there staring at him. Regaining her sense of reality, she boarded the elevator. Not wanting that to be all she got out of him, Relena had to ask.

“Wufei, where is everyone today? I was just hoping to speak to my brother, but no one, including him is on that entire floor. May I ask why?”

“I’ll take you. Downstairs in the mechanics basement, Noin and a team of researchers headed by Zechs have just completed a machine that is supposed to travel through time.” Wufei looked at her, then he suddenly found the elevator doors very interesting.

“A time machine! How can that be?” Relena said to herself more than Wufei. “I never knew that they were working on something like that.”

“That’s because you haven’t been here. Surprising not seeing you forever, then now you show up? Here to visit Heero again?” That last line was a bit too sarcastic to Relena’s liking.

“No, I am not!” Relena took a defensive position. “Why are you so mean? You shove everyone away even when they want to be nice to you or even your friend! And what is with your attitude. It isn’t very nice of you to say things like that. I guess you aren’t very considerate of others are you?” The doors opened and Relena stomped out into the crowd that had formed.

‘He makes me so mad! Wow! I guess you never know just how many people work here at headquarters until you shove them all into a big room. Or really it looks like a warehouse down here. I never knew that they had such space this far below the headquarters. Weird.’ Relena fought through the crowd while thinking until she got to the front. In front of her stood Noin and Zechs facing this huge piece of machinery. ‘Wow.’

“Relena! Long time no see!” Duo stepped off of the wall to her left and walked over to her. “Hey! Are you here to see the machine?” Duo yelled over the crowd while leading her over where they could talk.

“Well, I was here to just see how everyone was doing. I didn’t even know that Zechs and Noin were working on such a thing. I never knew we had such technology. Does it work?”

“Well, for a politic you really are kept in the shadows. Especially for someone as close connected to the Preventers as you are. We still don’t know if it works yet, but we are about to try it. I don’t suppose you’ve noticed our crowd of spectators, have you?” Duo joked.

“Yes, Duo.” Relena loved kidding with him. He was a great person to talk to. He and Quatre were easy to start a conversation with, unlike the other three pilots. “It took me a while to notice I was pushing through people... yeah.”

“Well, some people notice these things and some don’t. Have you seen Wufei?” Duo went from joke to half serious in seconds. Such mood swings only belong in great braided bakas.

“Yeah. I rode down with him in the elevator. He was the one that told me about the machine. Is it just me or is he crankier and annoyed more than usual?” Relena asked.

“Well, I think it’s just being around all of these people. He doesn’t like such crowds. All of the Gundam pilots have to be here for the first test, so I was scanning the place for him when I saw you. We have to find him and Une, then we can get this show on the road. Oh, wait there’s Une now. I have to round up Wufei. The other pilots are over there with Noin and Zechs if you want to talk to them.”

“Ok, thanks Duo!” Relena waved at him while he was walking toward the crowd. He gave her a wave and a smile before turning and heading off.

“Hello Relena.” Noin said when she saw Relena walking over. “It’s nice to see you again. You haven’t been coming around lately. Been busy?”

“Yeah. I have been a little swamped and I haven’t had much time to come over. And also I was afraid that I was annoying you since I kept coming over so much. But, I really came to say hello for a change and no one was up there. Then I met Wufei on his way here and he told me that you made this, in his own rude way of course.” Relena explained.

“Yeah. It’s just being around all of these people. You know that Wufei is a solitary man. He doesn’t really enjoy being in a crowd very much.” Noin said, turning back to glance at a meter on the machine.

“That’s what Duo said as well. But, I’ll get out of your way in just a second, I have to talk to a few people, so I’ll just be leaving.” Relena started to turn when she felt a hand on her shoulder.
“You weren’t planning to leave without saying hello to us first, were you Miss Relena?” The sound of Quatre’s voice made Relena smile. She turned and saw Trowa and Quatre standing there. Quatre held out his arms and gave Relena a big hug.

“No, I was going to say hi, then run. It’s good to see you Quatre! And Trowa, very nice to see you as well.” Relena held out her hand and they shook. As mentioned before, Quatre and Duo were the easier ones to talk to and hang around with in the group of Gundam pilots. Though the latter was a bit wacky.

“Well, you shouldn’t leave yet. The test run is about to start. Being so involved in Preventers’, you’d think that you would have heard of developing technology by now, but please. If you do not have plans later this afternoon, then you are welcome to stay and talk a bit.” Quatre extended an open invitation to her.

“I would like that, Quatre. Thank you.”

“Well, I am afraid that we have to observe a few pretest measures. Good bye Relena. I saw Heero over there a minute ago if you’d like to see him. Maybe he missed you when you weren’t coming around...” Quatre took Trowa’s hand and led him away.

‘Yeah right. Heero wouldn’t miss his own mother, much less someone who used to stalk him. Oh well, though I don’t suppose that it could hurt.’ Relena thought.

She walked around the machine, glancing at it as she admired the beauty. The sleek metal, the blue coloring, it was amazing how good technology could look. She then entered a small lounge room. Though it wasn’t the prettiest of rooms, but it served its purpose; sheltering late workers and holding enough coffee to serve the Mosh pit outside.

She looked in and found Heero sitting there. He had his head down and one hand holding a Styrofoam cup that half held steaming coffee. She had never seen him like that before. He just looked so... well, unlike Heero. Relena gave a small knock on the door. Heero didn’t even raise his head.

“Relena...” That was all he said. Relena crossed over and sat down across the table from him. Not surprised that he knew she was there, she didn’t loaf around on the subject.

“Heero, it is nice to see you after this time. I just found out about the machine today. Wonder if it will work...” Heero stood up. He didn’t exactly pace, but he didn’t leave the room. Heero found a wall and leaned against it. Giving her his usual stare, Heero told her with his eyes that he wasn’t really interested in talking.

Oh how Relena longed for the days in the past when Heero paid more attention to her. He hadn’t come to her home in so long. Since before headquarters was made. Back then, Heero would seek comfort in Relena’s bed. It was not unfamiliar to him to be with her. But when he stopped coming, Relena asked why. Heero hurt her by saying that he wanted nothing to do with her and then left. He left for a year, one whole year. And to Relena, a year without her precious Heero around was like torture. He hid himself well. No one knew where he was. Then all of the sudden, Heero showed up again. But Relena never forgot the man that had told her she was nothing to him, just something to relieve stress with. It hurt, but then when she saw him again, Relena forgave him in her own mind. She vowed to get him back. That would be a task, but hey, Heero was her life, or at least half of it.

“Heero?” Relena asked.

“Hn.” Was his only reply, as usual.

“Do you still think of me as an object?” Relena said while crossing over to him and stood directly in front of him. “Do you see me as a person now? Do you love me like I thought you did?”

“Relena, I...” He had to think on what he would say. “I don’t.”

“Think of me as an object?” Nod. “Do you love me, Heero?” Relena took a step closer. It’s not like this would faze her or make her blush, they’d been closer than this, and the feeling was a nostalgic one. She had felt it before, but it was old. It had died in her long ago.

Heero didn’t answer her. He just stared at her, brows pressed together. ‘Do I love you, Relena?’ He thought. ‘I have never felt love before.’

“How can I know if I love you if I don’t even know what love is?” Heero asked her after a pause of silence. Relena looked down. It was too hard to look at his eyes. She couldn’t show the tears that would inevitably come. She knew Heero thought she was strong, but what no one knew was that strength came from him. How could she be strong now with Heero telling her he didn’t love her?

“I gave you love. I showed you what love was. I still love you, Heero.” She almost jumped when his hand went to her chin and rose her head up. “Heero...” She tried to stop him, but Heero saw her tears and leaned towards her.

With his tongue, Heero licked the tears away as they fell fast. He licked them as if he was licking all of her pain away. Relena closed her eyes and relished in the feeling of his tongue on her cheek, his warm breath on her skin. Heero said nothing as he traveled down and pressed his lips to hers. He felt her give into him, respond to him.

Next thing Relena knew, her back met the wall and he was pressing her up against it, elbows on both sides of her head against the wall. One hand left its support and went to Relena’s left breast. The feeling was wonderful. Heero had missed her, the ways she made him feel, her body, her mind, her beauty. All belonged to him once. Would it ever belong to him again? He didn’t know. All he knew was that she loved him, and he felt as if he returned her love. How could he not?

The romantic couple was broken up when there was the sound of someone clearing their throat to get their attention. Both jumped, Heero pulling away from Relena, and Relena looking down to hide her blush. Wufei stood leaning against the door frame of the room and had a sour look on his face, as usual.

“You two better save it and get in here. We are starting the process.” With that, Wufei walked out the door and towards the crowd.

Heero followed suit, leaving Relena to fix her clothing and go out to the gathering as well. She didn’t bother saying anything to Heero, knowing it wouldn’t do anything but break the mood and the small amount of love that hung in the air between them.

“Noin, are we all set?” Zechs asked his co-worker. “All bars are green on the monitor here. What about the dials?”

“All set here Zechs. Everything’s in green, no danger zones showing now. Time to go.” After a long while of trying to convince Zechs to let her be the test subject, Noin finally triumphed and got her way.

Heading towards the doors, Noin signaled for everything to begin. She pressed a button to open the doors and then once again to close them once she was carefully seated inside. This was the moment of truth, would it work? Who knew what would happen to Noin if it didn’t, though no one wanted to think about the consequences.

It started up. Lights were turning on in the meters and buttons on the board operated by Zechs. The noise began and continued to rise until it was almost unbearable. You couldn’t even hear yourself talk. But, everything seemed to be going pretty well for a while. That was until Relena noticed Zechs running towards the doors. He tried pressing the button, but it didn’t work. The doors wouldn’t open. Finally, the crowd watched the drama as Zechs opened the doors with his hands, struggling all of the way. When they opened, he found an unconscious Noin sitting there.

************

Relena sat in the Preventers’ Headquarters hospital. It was on the fifth floor and was very convenient for any injuries that occurred during the job. She was holding Noin’s hand when she woke up.

“Where am I?” Were the first words out of Noin’s mouth, a little slurred from her sleep.

“You’re in the hospital wing right now.” Relena told Noin. “After the test try, you passed out and they had to stop the run. So, how are feeling? Any better?”

“A little. I don’t really remember passing out, but I feel fine now. The time machine didn’t work did it?” Noin frowned when Relena shook her head.

************

Tsuyoku: Hope it's ok so far. It'll get better. Keep reading... R&R too :)