Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Accepted ❯ Mission Accepted 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tsuyoku: THX for coming back, enjoi!

Mission Accepted: Chapter Two...

‘So, the time machine didn’t work. But I think that they said that a few wires were screwed up. I wonder if they will let Noin try it again. Maybe they’ll have someone else do it for her safety. I’m sure that Zechs was pretty worried when that happened. For the longest time he was the one waiting outside her door to know if she was alright. He cares for her deeply. I wish I had someone like that. Heero might, but he is just so cold to me sometimes, and he’s very quiet...’

Relena found herself walking down he hall from the hospital. She was near the elevator. A thought popped into her head. ‘ guess it wouldn’t hurt if I took another look down there...’ She headed down the elevator shaft to the huge underground room that held most of the repairs and mechanical workings.

There it was. She saw it as soon as the doors opened, sitting there in all it’s glory and beauty. Taking her steps forwards, Relena noticed the tap her heels made on the floor. Unlike the visit to that room earlier, and yet so like the hallway she was in when she first arrived. Lonely.

Relena ran her hands over the keys. The dials and meters were blank now, but when Noin was in there they were all red. ‘Power...?’ She pushed the button, surprised that such a large machine could be so simple to turn on in the push of a button. It made a few noises. Very loud noises. Would the people upstairs hear her?

After a while, Relena had looked around enough to get the jist of the buttons on there. Without a manual, this thing was pretty hard to figure. She opened the doors. Relena had no idea why she was doing this.

Wait, she did.

She didn’t know where she was going in life. The only future she saw for herself was an office with stress and politics surrounding it. What was in her future that she did not know about?

‘Six years should be enough time for me to have developed some kind of life...’ Relena got in and hoped to god that she’d be ok and that no one would find out.

************
Relena ended up in a hallway of Preventers’ Headquarters. It wasn’t empty though. Everyone was buzzing around, being naturally busy. It was normal though, which was a good sign, right?. She walked through the hall and no one even looked at her. She didn’t feel like talking to them anyway, she wanted to know what had happened.

“Yuy!” Relena turned at the name. Someone was shouting for Heero. She looked down a hall to her right, but instead of coming right out, she stayed behind the corner to observe. Besides, if she was seen here, and her future self was somewhere else, then it wouldn’t be good at all. “You were told to file these! Don’t put them on my desk to do it! I’ve got enough shit to do already!” It was Wufei. Though he still wore the Preventers’ jacket, he had changed. His hair was kept neatly back in a pony tail like it used to, though it was now reaching down past his shoulder blades. He held a few file folders in his hand, no doubt the files he was talking about at the moment.

“Wufei, you know how to do these things. I haven’t been behind a desk as long as you have, so I don’t know my way around filing.” Oh, that one had to hurt, Relena thought. Heero hadn’t changed a bit, though Relena noted that he had gotten taller. He still spoke in that calm demeanor that he was famous for, and he still dressed in a t-shirt and jeans with his jacket slung over his shoulder. “Besides, I have other work to do. I have a family to feed, you have no one, so go do work to fill the void in your life.”

‘Wow, Heero has gotten a bit crueler. But, did he say ‘family’?’ Relena stood and watched Heero walk towards the back elevator. Wufei didn’t say anything to Heero. Usually he would have something to defend his honor with, but this time he just stared after 01's pilot and then turned and left.

Relena didn’t think much about Wufei and the sad look he had in his eyes when he turned, she was more concerned about Heero and his ‘family’. Did he have someone other than her?

Relena found herself following Heero as he left headquarters. This Heero was just like in the real world. He didn’t talk, he just stared straight forward and kept walking. Relena remembered noticing little changes with the people and the building as she observed her surroundings. Zechs hadn’t changed at all. He looked that same as he did in her time. Noin, she noticed, had a ring on her finger, from Zechs she guessed. Sally was now in a high position in the company as was Une. Duo was still a goof ball like in the old days, Quatre and Trowa were a little more open about each other she noted as she passed them. She didn’t see anyone else though. Relena finally noticed how dark it was outside.

‘Wow’, she thought. I wonder what has happened to this place in the past ten years. And Heero was talking about family. Could I have married him and had kids? That would be expected...’

But as Relena looked into a window belonging to the house he just stepped into, Relena was shocked and surprised. There, where she should have been, was Dorothy. Seems like Dorothy got what she wanted. Relena knew that Dorothy had been obsessed with Heero forever. Even when the war was raging, it was Dorothy’s goal to see him, meet him. She even had his picture!, something that, at that time, Relena didn’t even have of Heero.

And there next to Dorothy was a child. Mad that Heero had left her for Dorothy and even had a kid with her, Relena got even madder at the fact that even when Dorothy smiled at him, Heero paid no heed to either of them...

‘I’ve had enough.’ Relena said to herself. She was sad and pissed. Both enough to forget about finding herself in this world. Just that she wasn’t with Heero was bad enough.

She reached headquarters once more. A little while had passed and most had gone home, but there were some people who stayed late. It reminded her of her work where she liked to stay late and get things done. It gave her something to do.

She got to thinking, ‘I wonder how I get back to my own time. I guess I could use the time machine. It’s got to be here, since I stepped out of it when I arrived.’ She headed back down to the basement and was walking towards the machine. ‘Wait, someone is here!’ She saw a light on in the basement. Walking towards it, Relena noticed that it was Wufei that was down there.

‘I wonder what he could still be doing here at this time of night?’ Relena entered the small room, recognizing it as the small room Heero and herself were in that very day.

Relena noticed Wufei sitting there, going over paperwork. By the looks of it, he was in deep thought, but he still had that sadness in his eyes. Like something was missing from his life. Wanting to know what it was, Relena stepped into the room. Crossing over to the coffee machine getting herself a cup of coffee like Wufei had obviously done.

“Who are you?” Wufei had been thrust from his thoughts when someone walked into the basement break room, which no one used because they were never down there. He was surprised that someone even remembered that there was a break room down in the basement. That was the only reason why he used it; because no one else did.

To say the least, Relena was surprised that Wufei didn’t know who she was. But she did have her back turned to him. “Hey Wufei, it’s only me.” She said while turning around.

Relena noticed how Wufei’s eyes got wider considerably when she turned around to face him. “What? Is there something on my face?” She asked. Still, he stared in shock at her, as if she was a ghost or grew two heads, or if she had just murdered someone and had their blood all over her clothes.

“Relena? Is... is that you?” Wufei got up and walked around the table to Relena. Standing in front of her, he looked her over and over. Relena was a little less than comfortable with him looking at her like that, but she was still wondering why seeing her provoked such a reaction from Stone Cold Wufei. “It IS you!”

“Um, excuse me, but what is the big surprise?” Relena asked, once again questioning Wufei’s sanity.

“Relena, don’t you remember?”

“Remember what?”

“You’ve been missing for six years...” Wufei said, eyebrows still in a knot.

************

Tsuyoku: DUM DUM DUM... Well read on... go on, you know you want to... R&R