Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ One Step Forward, Two Steps Back ❯ Be My Friend ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Authoress:
Kimpisces

Archive: You can find all of my fanfics at mm .org and all of the PG-13 ones at ff .net

Summary: "Love can die but a dance can last forever. You may not be happy but at least you'll never feel the pain of betrayal.."
HeeroYuy is a boy whose never believed in love.
Duo Maxwell is a boy whose never felt its touch.
What happens when these two boys meet and Heero's belief that a relationship should be based on a dance around the other is put to the test against Duo's belief that love conquers all?
Who will win? Come and witness the dance.

Rating:Pg-13

Warnings: Angst, AU, slight OOC, Yaoi/Shonen-Ai, Relena Bashing, Language

Disclaimer: I don't own anything that you will find in this fanfic except the idea that this fanfic is made from, the brain that put it together and the fingers that endlessly try to type it out...

Thanks: To

Chapter Five: Be my friend

"Trowa, I didn't mean to say I didn't want to be be seen walking with you." Quatre smiled in a way that had Trowa almost believing him. "It's just my dad is incredibly protective of me and thinks that I'm going to get around to making friends with the wrong people."

"So I'm the sort of person that your father wouldn't approve of?" Trowa questioned with his arms crossed over his chest and his eyebrows raised as he stared down at the smaller boy.

Quatre jumped and shook his head frantically. "No, no, that's not it at all. You are a great person but my dad doesn't know you so he'll just think that you're the wrong sort of person because you were one of the first people that I met. He'll just go by your looks."

"So I don't look like the sort of person that your father would approve of? What, am I just not rich-looking enough to make it? Sorry, I'll go find my tuxedo," Trowa replied dryly. He didn't mean to say such hurtful stuff to Quatre but he was really annoyed with this whole thing. Why was it such a bad thing for Quatre to want to hang out with him? He really didn't see it.

"No! That's not what I mean either." Quatre cursed himself and looked at his hand. "I had hoped that this would go just a little bit better."

"Well, it didn't," Trowa remarked, inwardly swearing at Wufei in every language that he could speak for deciding that it was a good idea to just leave him and Quatre here alone. Trowa thought about killing Wufei for doing this to him, but decided that death was too kind. Torture was so much better; after all, revenge is sweet.

"I'm sorry, Trowa! I really want us to be friends." Quatre butted into his thought process.

Trowa scoffed at that and rolled his eyes. He started to walk towards the school, hoping to give Quatre a hint, but it didn't seem to work, because the next thing Trowa knew, Quatre had fallen into step with him and was smiling up at him.

Trowa sighed. Quatre obviously did not have a good handle on deciphering body language. Trowa didn't know what else he could do to tell Quatre (in a nice way) that he didn't want to be friends with someone who was embarrassed to walk with him.

"Wow! You really do have long legs," Quatre commented, obviously getting at least enough of the hint not to bring up the conversation again.

"They get me around," Trowa said with a shrug. "Not all of us have limousines waiting at our beck and call."

"I wish I didn't have a limo. I'm sure it looks really pretty walking down the streets. Spring is the best time of year when it comes to scenery, you know. It's a good time to relax," Quatre said softly.

"I prefer fall," Trowa interjected. "Spring is for girls."

Oh, good one Barton, he thought to himself, call the guy who could probably sue your family just because you looked at him wrong, a girl. Could you really make it any worse?

But Quatre didn't even seem to be fazed by the remark. "Oh well. When you constantly spend your time under pressure you find that relaxation is one of the most priceless things in the world." He smiled. "So if that makes me girly, then so be it."

Trowa didn't know what to say to that. How many guys are willing to call themselves girly? And on top of that, how many of those that are willing turn out to be straight?

Trowa was happy to hear the bell ring. "Time to head back to school!" Trowa expertly changed the subject.

"Yeah." Quatre seemed to shrink with the despair that Trowa saw flash in his eyes. "I hate school! Everyone treats me so differently just because my dad is richer than their dads. It's not like I'm the one who is the successful business man. My dad is." Quatre sighed. "Well, you guys don't treat me differently, but five out of a couple hundred isn't really good odds."

"Maybe you should stop reminding them that your dad is a little bit richer," Trowa suggested.

"What do you mean?" Quatre demanded.

"Every day, you wear clothes that obviously cost a pretty penny," Trowa said, as his eyes fell on the label of Quatre's jeans, the most expensive jeans Trowa had ever seen. "And getting a ride home from school in a limo is kind of extreme. Sure, some people get picked up too, and one or two got a ride home in a limo on the first day too, but every single day is like flashing your wallet constantly. Just a plain car for you would suffice, or perhaps you could even walk. Just stop throwing out there how rich you are, that you can afford to have that kind of treatment all the time."

Quatre nodded solemnly. "I guess you're right. I've never thought about it like that." Quatre looked like he wanted to add something else to his comment but bit his tongue.

Trowa held the door open for Quatre and then followed him inside. "We have math."

Quatre nodded. "I wonder how Heero did with Duo."

Trowa shrugged. "Who knows?" Hopefully Heero had had better luck with Duo than Trowa seemed to be having with Quatre.

They walked to the math room and saw Duo sitting in the corner, facing away as far away from the door as humanly possible. Trowa was sure that they now had the answer to their question. He saw Heero enter the room slowly, sit down next to Duo, and earn a glare from Duo.

Trowa'sheart went out to Heero at that moment. He was going to have a hard time with Duo. Trowa knew exactly how Heero was feeling:

Upset that he couldn't keep his own emotions under control.

Angry that the other just didn't seem to understand that he didn't know what to do.

Powerless because there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.

It's worked so far and it'll work until

My heart in my chest does still

It'll work forever and that's a fact

Just one step forward, two steps back.

Heero woke up promptly at six o'clock and stared outside at the sunset. A shade of purple, that reminded Heero of Duo's haunting and yet beautiful eyes, lit up the sky.

Flipping the problem over and over again in his mind hadn't worked. He couldn't think of anything to do about it.

Heero got up and went to his father's workout room and set up the bench press. At least he could exercise while trying to figure out what to do about Duo. Exercise always helped him think, especially pressing weights.

"Something on your mind, boy?" A deep voice interrupted Hero's thoughts.

Heero realized that he hadn't even noticed his father standing there and sighed. Pushing the weights back to their resting position, Heero sat up to look up at his father.

Heero's father wasn't an unattractive man in any sorts and Heero had never wondered why he mother had let herself be seduced into his bed and therefore got tied down. No, Heero just wondered why his father had bothered seducing his now wife. It wasn't like he had ever had a lack of willing participants, but from the stories his grandparents told, Kaida had been different. Kaida, Heero's mother, hadn't wanted anything to do with his father at all. Yet his father had chased her down and ended up stuck with her even though they had absolutely nothing in common. Was that sort of what it was like for Heero with Duo? Was Duo just a pretty face that didn't want Heero and therefore genetic needs burned in Heero to get him? Boost his own ego by proving that no one could ever resist the Yuy Charm? Was he just as despicable as his father?

Heero realized that he still hadn't replied to his father's question and cleared his throat. "Sorry. Yeah, there's just this-" Heero didn't know how to explain Duo, so settled on the safest route he could come up with. "girl at school."

"Girls aren't worth your time." Heero's father shook his head. "The only thing they're good for is a good lay. Then just ditch them. Keep them around any longer than that and they'll assume you're in love with them or something."

Heero pursed his lips. He knew better than to say anything to that. Otherwise his father would start off on another speech on the evils of women. Last time his mother had heard and Heero had found her later, crying about it. Hero had sworn that he would never make anyone feel quite like that. It wasn't worth it! Especially when he found Duo and was starting to question his father's entire logic on love.

"Is she good looking?" The question was unexpected. Heero thought about how to answer.

"She's a looker, yeah definitely. But she's not interested in me, so I guess it doesn't matter." Heero said carefully, hoping not to send his father off on a rant.

"Wow! You've only been there two days and already you found yourself a chase!" Heero's father smiled with pride. "You put me to shame. Just remember to wear a condom when you finally get her. Chases are only fun when they're chases. Once they're caught, it's as boring as hell."

Heero stood up, knowing he was talking about his mother. Heero didn't want to hear it. "I'd better go shower."

His father nodded. "Of course you should. You wanna win a girl over, you have to smell good. Why don't you use some of my better cologne?"

"No thanks, Dad," Heero said, and ducked out of the room, heading for the bathroom. He took a quick shower and then went to the kitchen for breakfast. His mother was sitting there, eating an orange. She smiled up at him and Heero had no choice but to smile back. His mother's smile was just that contagious. Heero grabbed cereal and then sat down at the table with his mother, glad to know that she was at the house for at least a little bit.

"I heard what you and your father were talking about," Kaida said, looking over at Heero to gauge his reaction.

Heero looked at her. She didn't seem to be very upset, but then again she was an actress, she was paid not to look upset at things. Heero nodded anyway. "Yeah?"

"This person you like, just because he isn't responding to your advances doesn't mean he's, as your father would put it, a chase. He may just be unsure about what to do. Try to be patient and continue to tell him that you're interested. I'm sure that he'll respond sooner or later." Heero's mother sighed. 'Your father is very aloof sometimes but he means well."

"I know, mum," Heero answered with a smirk. "Thanks."

"Treat him right, Heero," Kaida replied. "I have to fly out this afternoon. I'll be gone before you get home, but I'll be back in a few weeks. Call me if anything happens, okay?"

"I will, mum." Heero gave his mother a hug when she spread her arms for him to do so and then watched her leave the room. It took until after she left for Heero to realize that she had identified Duo as a male. Heero wondered how she had known, but shook it off; he could ask her later. He wanted to find Duo before he got to school so he could try to apologize to him again. Maybe, if he was lucky, they could even get on talking grounds again.

It was raining, so Heero pulled on his waterproof shoes and grabbed a coat and umbrella. He slipped the coat on quickly, shouted his goodbyes to the people in the house, and headed outside, his backpack secured on his right shoulder.

He opened up the umbrella and then looked down the road. Heero was happy to see an umbrellaless boy walking down the street, pulling up his collar to try and stay dry.

Heero ran to catch up and tucked his umbrella over Duo's head. "Hey."

Duo started at the sudden motion and looked like he was ready to bolt but thankfully it seemed that Duo's want to stay dry overpowered his impulse to run. He nodded to Heero in reply.

They walked about a block in silence before Heero suddenly just stopped walking. Duo took about two steps and then a nice fat raindrop fell down the back of his shirt. He jumped backwards, into the safety of the umbrella and whimpered.

"Why did you stop walking?" Duo demanded, glaring at Heero. "School is still five blocks away."

"I want to talk to you," Heero replied simply.

"Then talk!" Duo snapped grumpily. He hadn't wanted to get mad, but now he was anyway. "Last time I checked you could walk and talk at the same time."

"I just want you to know that no matter how much you dislike it and no matter how much I want to deny it, I really like you. Not because you're someone I think I can work around, but because I think you're someone I want to learn to work with. I want to learn how to calm you down after I say something stupid. I want to know how to kiss you so you don't think I'm faking it." Heero smiled. "So I just thought I'd let you know that I'll be here waiting for you when you come around."

"Well, you can't wait!" Duo exclaimed.

"Why not?" Heero demanded. "Give me one good reason why not."

"Because I'm a guy!" Duo shouted. "Because you came from from a very well thought of family and I'm a street rat." Duo looked down at the ground in shame. "It's just the way it is."

Heero grabbed Duo's arm and forced him to look up at him. "You're not a street rat and don't ever let anyone convince you that you are!" Heero's gaze was filled with anger.

"I am! You can't change that!" Duo protested. "You shouldn't waste your time on someone like me. I'm just not worth it!"

"I'm not wasting my time! You're worth it!" Heero stepped closer to Duo and smiled in what he hoped was a comforting way. "You are the most gorgeous person that I have ever seen, and trust me, I've met a few people that are way up there on the scale of beauty. You have the most exotic eyes I have ever seen. I don't think that I've ever heard of someone with eyes like yours, but they look so perfect on you. Your hair is beautiful you know, it's the perfect length to frame that damn perfect ass of yours. You are a living god, whether or not you believe so."

"Heero, I'm not-" Duo started.

Heero placed a finger on Duo's lips and smiled. "You are! Don't deny it, Duo!"

"Heero please-" This time Duo didn't even sound like he was really protesting it anymore..

"Come on, Duo," Heero whispered. He let his mouth hover mere inches away from Duo's. The final choice was still Duo's, but he hoped that he was heavily influencing it.

"I'm not that easy," Duo whispered sadly and pulled away. He flashed a sad look behind him as he started to walk away.

"I never expected you to be," Heero said quietly, knowing Duo couldn't hear him.

Duo turned around suddenly and looked over at Heero's umbrella. "You can still walk with me though. I mean, we're still friends, right?" Duo looked very unsure of himself at that second.

Heero nodded, and walked to catch up with Duo. They both walked under the umbrella in silence the rest of the way to school.

However, when they parted just outside of the main doors and Duo turned to glance once more at Heero before disappearing down the hallway, Heero couldn't help but feel successful. Maybe he hadn't risen up a level, but he had definitely advanced.

That would just have to do for now.
Converting /tmp/phpYFc5TD to /dev/stdout