Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ One Step Forward, Two Steps Back ❯ Lets Play Some Basketball ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
 
Authoress:Kimpisces
 
Archive:You can find all of my fanfics at mm .org and all of the "T" ones at ff .net
Summary:"Love can die but a dance can last forever. You may not be happy but at least you'll never feel the pain of betrayal."
Heero Yuy is a boy whose never believed in love.
Duo Maxwell is a boy whose never felt its touch.
What happens when these two boys meet and Heero's belief that a relationship should be based on a dance around the other s put to the test against Duo's belief that love conquers all?
Who will win? Come and witness the dance.
 
Rating: T
Warnings:Angst, AU, slight OOC, Yaoi/Shonen-Ai, Relena Bashing, Language
 
Disclaimer:I don't own anything . . . really I don't
 
Thanks: To my beta who took the time to edit this and to all my reviewers :)
 
Chapter Six:
 
Trowa sat down next to Wufei, purposely picking a spot where Quatre couldn't sit next to him. It wasn't that Trowa was upset with Quatre or anything. Quatre was simply refusing to drop the subject about how he looked rich. They had science first this morning, and Quatre had been full of questions. Questions about why he should worry about his money status in a school like this and why did some people care? Questions like why did money make some people uncomfortable and did it make Trowa uncomfortable?
 
The questions had only ended for the moment because the bell rung and Trowa had escaped to his next class.
 
Saved by the bell isn't just an old sitcom.
 
Trowa grabbed a ham sandwich out of his lunch and bit into it. He watched as Duo and Heero walked up to their group, joking around and acting like everything was fine. However Trowa could see that Duo was trying his hardest to make sure Heero didn't touch him.
 
Trowa sighed. At least Duo was talking to Heero again.
 
Trowa smiled at the pair as they sat down. Heero smiled back warmly, which assured Trowa that he had been right and they'd made up.
 
"How's your stalker?" Wufei asked Heero, as Heero sat next to him while Duo took a seat next to Quatre. "Did she follow you out here?"
 
"Nah. She hasn't said two words to me since -" Heero flashed a quick look in Duo's direction to see if he was listening and then continued, lowering his voice. "Since she saw me and Duo kissing in the hallway."
 
"You and Duo were kissing in the hallway?" Wufei's eyebrows shot up. "Not that it's a big deal or anything, but still . . . "
 
"Yeah." Heero blushed slightly. "I didn't know Relena was there."
 
Trowa chuckled. "Way to go! You killed two birds with one stone."
 
Shaking his head, Heero sighed. "Not really. Duo thinks Relena was the only reason I kissed him. You know, so that I could scare her away."
 
"Well, that's stupid!" Wufei exclaimed, frowning. "You're much more honorable than that."
 
Trowa nodded. "Duo will see that soon enough, Heero. Don't trouble yourself about it too much. At least we don't have to deal with that annoying inconsiderate snob for a while though. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how long she'll remember that."
 
Wufei snickered.
 
Nodding, Heero looked like he was about to say something else when someone coughed loudly from behind him. They turned around, and Trowa got his first real glimpse of Meiran.
 
Wufei had told him about her before but Trowa had never really been able to picture her until now. Wufei had described her as a slightly taller than an average Chinese woman with muscles no female should ever be seen with. He had also said she had quite the tongue on her. Trowa had previously had a hard time trying to picture a woman who could be anything besides small, have only minor muscles, and go to a school like this.
 
However, Wufei had definitely described Meiran to a 't'. She was tall, with piercing black eyes and hair pulled back into a tight ponytail like Wufei's. Even in the long sleeved shirt she was wearing, it was obvious she had well-defined muscles.
 
"Hello, teachers' pet," Meiran mocked Wufei, with a huge grin. "I see you've managed to make friends with some real men."
 
Wufei bristled at that comment, and Trowa half-expected him to jump up and start yelling at her for even thinking about doubting his manliness.
 
"Meiran," was all Wufei said, though, as he tried not to let Meiran see how much she got to him.
It was obvious Meiran already knew how much he had been affected by that comment, and she thrived on it. "So why is it you don't have any gym classes in your schedule? Too embarrassed to get your ass kicked on a daily basis?"
 
He glared in response. "I could kick your ass any day."
 
"Prove it!" Meiran retorted, acting like she was insulted with the very thought. "Do you know how to play basketball? I mean, really know, not just reading about it in some book."
 
"Yes!"
 
"Then you can play against me." Meiran smirked. "But then again, I suppose you need to have some sort of a chance so we'll play three on three. You can have Duo and the tall one, and I'll take Quatre and the Japanese guy. That should even things up."
 
"I hope you like having your ass kicked," Wufei snapped as he stood up.
 
"Who said I was playing anyway?" Heero asked, standing up as well. At Wufei's glare, Heero rolled his eyes. "I'll play, Wufei, but you still had no right to assume I would."
 
Trowa nodded as he got up. "I agree with Heero, you two shouldn't assume your friends will just join you in a competition without asking first."
 
"Ugh!" Quatre groaned as he tried to stand up. "I can't get up."
 
Extending his hand, Trowa moved to help Quatre up, and Quatre grabbed it willingly. Trowa swore it felt like electricity was coursing through his body as he held himself steady so Quatre could pull himself up.
 
Trowa let go quickly and turned away. This wasn't good. Quatre was uncomfortable with normal clowns, never mind adding the fact he was a gay clown.
 
"Trowa? What's wrong?" Quatre asked.
 
"Nothing." Trowa ducked out of Quatre's gaze. "Come on, let's go play some basketball."
 
Quatre nodded and followed Trowa down the path to the basketball courts. Trowa noticed a group of girls sitting there in cheerleading outfits. They were practicing some sort of new routine or something because there was one girl standing in the front, demonstrating.
 
“Girls, move out of the way! The teacher's pet here is going to try and beat me at basketball,” Meiran announced as she grabbed a stray ball and bounced it a few times to test it. Then she passed the ball hard to Wufei, almost knocking the wind out of him since he wasn't expecting it. "You can have first ball advantage, you'll need it!"
 
Wufei growled and then bounced the ball twice. "Fine." He motioned to Trowa and Duo to get in position and Quatre and Heero made their way to the other side of the mid-court line with their checks.
 
Quatre stood in front of Trowa and sighed. "I don't really know how to play basketball, so don't be too hard on me, okay?"
 
Trowa nodded and looked over at Wufei, waiting for the game to start.
 
Wufei passed the ball to Meiran, who passed it back to him and then the game started. Wufei passed the ball to Duo who dribbled it forward slowly, trying to judge Heero's ability. Heero didn't make any move, though, so Duo had no way to guess at Heero's skill level. Duo turned and moved forward, passing the ball to Trowa, but Heero was there and he knocked the ball down the court.
 
Duo scowled but chased after the ball, recovering it and then he threw it to Wufei.
 
Wufei caught it, but was immediately caught in a screen by Meiran. Trowa didn't envy Wufei one bit either because Meiran seemed to be everywhere and Wufei didn't really have much a chance to pass the ball. Trowa decided to help Wufei out a little bit and raced up to Wufei to take the ball away from him and run for the basket.
 
Or at least that's what he intended to do.
 
Suddenly Quatre was right at Trowa's side and the way he got the ball from Trowa's hands was proof enough that Quatre had been lying to him when he said he wasn't very good at this. Only an experienced player could do something like that.
 
Quatre dribbled the ball over the center line and rushed to the basket and Trowa could do little more than watch as Quatre scored the first basket of the game.
 
"I thought you weren't very good at this game," Trowa accused, as they set up to start again.
 
"I'm sorry I lied," Quatre said, somehow managing to sound apologetic. "It's just I needed some sort of advantage, you're so tall!"
 
Trowa just scoffed.
 
Wufei started with the ball again and he passed it over to Trowa quickly then ran up the court. Trowa passed the ball back to him and Wufei showed what he could really do, as he dribbled around Meiran flawlessly and sunk a basket.
 
"Let's use the full court from now on," Meiran suggested as she grabbed the ball and stood behind the basket, looking for someone to pass to. Meiran passed it to Heero.
 
Heero stood still for a moment, just dribbling the ball and waiting for Duo to come to him. Duo did so and instantly Heero dribbled around him and rushed for the net. On his way back Heero said something to Duo that made him blush dark red.
 
Trowa got the ball this time and he stood behind the net, wondering who he should pass it to, Wufei or Duo. Then the cheerleaders in the corner started up, cheering Trowa on.
 
Trowa dribbled the ball around, drowning out everything around him expect the sound of the ball and the cheers. He faked a pass to Wufei, which Quatre followed, but then he rushed to the net and scored. He beamed as he heard the cheerleaders scream in triumph.
 
Trowa glanced over at them and saw a small petite blonde shaking her pompom. She looked like a female version of Quatre and Trowa wished that it was Quatre for a second. Then Trowa shook his head and rolled his eyes at his pathetic thought.
 
Quatre flashed him a weird look and Trowa filed it away for later examination as he headed back so he could defend better.
 
Twenty minutes later, the bell rang, and the game was reluctantly called to an end with Meiran's team one point ahead thanks to a 3-point shot by Heero.
 
The cheerleaders rushed over to them and began to run their hands all over them, giggling about how great they were. Duo managed to run away from them and Heero pushed his admirers away so he could jog away. Trowa, on the other hand, welcomed the attention, being used to it from the circus.
 
When they made it into the school and the girls went their separate ways, Quatre turned to him. "Do you like people like that?"
 
"Like what?" Trowa asked, confused.
 
"Like those cheerleaders."
 
"Why wouldn't I?"
 
Quatre shrugged. "I don't know." With that, he walked away.
 
The dance is simple and safe
Even when all around you raves

Who needs love? I do not!

Sooner will a lover's body rot
 
"You played a good game," Meiran said with a small smile, as she walked Wufei into the school. "I never would have thought that you would be capable of playing a good game of basketball."
 
"I'm full of surprises, I guess," Wufei replied sarcastically. "It's amazing. I even know karate."
 
"Really? So do I. Perhaps we could get together sometime to practice on each other." Meiran smirked then and punched Wufei's shoulder. "I'd even promise to take it easy on you."
 
"I thought you wouldn't hang out with a teacher's pet."
 
"I changed my opinion of you. You're not half bad, you know." Meiran winked and then raced down the hallway, calling back over her shoulder. “Talk to you tomorrow, Wufei.”
 
Wufei watched her go and then turned towards his own locker, a small smile forming on his lips as he thought about what she said. Quickly he shook his head and continued to walk.
 
No one needed to know that he was growing fond of his tormentor.
 
So take my hand, we'll dance away
Yet feel no love at the end of the day

It'll keep us safe and that's a fact

Just one step forward, two steps back
 
"Can I walk you home?" Heero asked Duo as they moved to leave the classroom.
 
"Asking for permission now?" Duo mocked jokingly.
 
"Making sure I don't overstep any boundaries," Heero replied carefully as he held the door open for Duo.
 
"This isn't going to work, you know," Duo said as Heero followed him to his locker. When Heero feigned an innocent look, Duo shook his head. "You can't just pretend to be a gentleman and then think that I'll let you ask me out. It's not going to happen, Heero, I won't let it. I'm just trash off the street and as your friend, I know that you deserve better. Hell, even Miss Peacecraft would be a better choice for you than me."
 
Heero winced at the mention of his stalker, but made no other movement. "You're not just trash off the street, Duo. Not to me." Heero moved in closer. "Stop putting yourself down like that."
 
"I'm just telling the truth because you obviously won't admit it." Duo slammed his locker closed and faced Heero. "My clothes aren't even close to your standards and I look terrible. People would just laugh at you if they saw you with me. You might not think that you'd care right now but you would! You'd be embarrassed to be seen with me. I'm just saving you the trouble of having to wait to find that out. So go and find someone else!"
 
"You think that I'm going to be embarrassed because you look horrible?" Heero exclaimed in disbelief. "So, if I get you fancy clothes, everything will be all right?"
 
"I never said that!"
 
"Yes, you did. You said that your clothes aren't even close to my standards and therefore people would just laugh at me if they saw us together." Heero said, enraged. "Come on, Duo, you're beautiful and not even you can deny that. No one would laugh at you. If anything, I expect that they would look at you and be jealous. My mother's friends would think I finally got my ass together and picked some model to go out with."
 
“Yeah right. I must be some pitiful model then.” Duo walked down the hallway, his strides long and filled with anger.
 
Heero followed at his heels, not even caring that he hadn't made his way to his locker yet. When they were outside of the school, Heero grabbed Duo's shoulder and made his turn around to face Heero in the eye. "You're a gorgeous person, Duo and I'm not just saying that because I like you. Just because you lived on the street, it doesn't mean that you can't be a good-looking person. As for who isn't good enough for who, I think that it might be me who's not good enough for you."
 
Duo scoffed. "Yeah right, you're an actress's son."
 
"So? How do you know you're not? You said you didn't know who your parents are so how do you know that you don't have parents better than mine?" Heero pointed out. "You don't!"
 
"But I don't have parents better than yours. Besides, it wouldn't matter anyway."
 
"Then why does it matter with me?" Heero demanded harshly, upset at Duo's hypocrisy. "Why should I be punished for who my mother is? It's not like it was my fault or decision, Duo, I already have to be affected by it every day. Why should it happen again?"
 
"It wouldn't be a reward to go out with me," Duo said sadly, staring at the ground.
 
"In my world it is."
 
Duo looked around and noticed that people were starting to look at them. “Can we get out of the limelight, Heero? People are starting to stare at us," Duo said, obviously uncomfortable with the situation. "We can talk as we walk you know, we're blessed with such an ability."
 
"No," Heero stated firmly. "I'm not going to leave until you admit that you're worth it. I'm not going to move until you admit that you're good enough for me to go out with."
 
"Heero -" When Duo realized that Heero was dead serious, he shook his head. "Fine, you can stand here by yourself. I'm going home without you. I don't need to be here!" Duo started to move away but came up short when Heero grabbed onto his wrist and refused to let go. "Hey!"
 
"Not until you admit it," Heero repeated firmly.
 
"Heero, this is stupid. Fine, I admit it. Just let me go."
 
"Say it like you mean it."
 
"Heero, this is really dumb!" Duo growled. "You can't make me say it."
 
"I'll kiss you right here in front of everyone," Heero threatened. "Then we'll see what people say."
 
"You wouldn't!" Duo hissed but Heero could tell that he wasn't that sure about whether or not Heero would. "Your reputation would be ruined!"
 
Heero shrugged. "To hell with my reputation!" He leaned in, his face tilting towards Duo's.
 
"Heero, no!" Duo pushed Heero away.
 
"Then say it!"
 
"Heero . . . " Duo was whining now but he didn't care.
 
"Just say it."
 
The voice that finally gave in to the demand was small and almost inaudible. "I'm good enough to go on a date with Heero Yuy."
 
"What?" Heero pretended to cup his ear with his free hand, the other still not releasing Duo from its grip. "I didn't quite hear you."
 
"I said I'm good enough for you!" Duo exclaimed and then blushed as a couple kids a few feet off from them stared. "Can we go now?"
 
Heero nodded and let Duo drag him down the street. "There, see? That wasn't that bad."
 
"Not bad?" Duo sounded like he was going to faint. "You're impossible."
 
"So when should I pick you up?" Heero asked as he picked up his pace so he could walk next to Duo.
 
"For what?"
 
"Our date."
 
"Our what?" Duo gaped.
 
"Our date, Mr. Maxwell." Heero repeated, smirking. "It's on Friday because usually people go out on Fridays. Since you admitted that you're good enough to go out with me, which by the way took way too long to do, I think that this would be an exceptional time to have a date."
 
Heero continued to walk as Duo stood frozen on the sidewalk. "Is seven good for you or should we make it eight?"
 
"Ah, ah, ah . . . " Duo's mouth opened and closed unintelligently.
 
"Good. I'll pick you up at seven then." Heero paused and turned around. "Do you have anything nice you can wear?" Shaking his head at his own phrasing of the question, he continued. "I mean something formal. What you're wearing right now is nice."
 
Duo blushed at that and then shook his head. "We're not going on a date, Heero."
 
"Do you or don't you?"
 
"What?"
 
"Pay attention. Duo, do you have a formal outfit or not?"
 
"Yes," Duo offered finally. "I have a tuxedo from my foster-grandma's wedding."
 
"Good, wear that." Heero smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow at school then." Heero walked off without letting Duo say another word in protest. After all, he didn't have time to hear it. He had a date to plan.