Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Painting the Desert ❯ From Here to. . . Wherever ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

From Here to. . . Wherever

Water has a way with people, making them feel free and uninhibited. Especially when those two people are a couple a teenagers who are falling deeper and deeper in love. The way it makes one feel weightless, and cool, able to do anything. This is how Duo and Quatre felt as they swam. The water rushing past their skin, the laughing, splashing, touching. They were one simple step from being lovers, a step either would leap over if they knew the others feelings. But at the same time, a step that was as risky as a climb up Mt. Everest. If things didn't work out, hearts would be broken. But these are not things young boys dwell on, they were living in the beautiful moment, perhaps as they should be.

Quatre had retrieved some pool toys from the house and they were playing at who could knock the other one off faster. It involved a lot of touching and grabbing, and naturally had been Duo's idea. He was going ten for ten, and made it when he tackled Quatre's waist and lunged them both forward into the waiting water. They both burst out of the water laughing and gasping for air.

"Duo!! You're not supposed to fall off with me," Quatre scolded kiddingly and playfully pushed Duo's soaked chest, leaving his hand for a moment longer than would be usual.

Duo looked down at the hand and smiled. "Sorry, I couldn't help it," he paused waiting for a reaction.

And he got one, Quatre sobered immediately and stared into Duo's eyes. "Why couldn't you help it," he asked innocently.

Duo laughed. Because I wanted to touch you. Because I wanted you to grab onto me. Because I. .I. . . . "Because I wanted to win," he lied and immediately was upset with himself. Why couldn't you just tell him, he berated his mouth.

Quatre nodded knowingly. "Oh, right. That's why." He observed Duo quizzically. I don't understand him, he thought. I've never felt like this before and I know it's him. I can deal with that. I can deal with my father. I can deal with anything. With that final thought Quatre had his mind made up, and he began to swim toward the stream that lead into the depths of the jungle.

"Hey, Quatre, where are you going?" he heard Duo call behind him, but he did not heed. If he wants me, he can come and get me.

Duo didn't know what to say next. He knew Quatre had been hurt by his remark. He could tell by the other boy's downward gaze, but he didn't know how to fix it. I'm no good at these things, he thought, I'm sorry, Quatre. I really wish I could tell you the truth, but I'm afraid you'll hate me. Then to his surprise, for the third time that day, Quatre began swimming away from him toward the mouth of the forest. Why didn't he answer me? Duo thought as he took off after him.

Quatre was a remarkably strong swimmer and fast at that. He sped though the water like a fish, and Duo was having trouble keeping up. He would catch the tail end of Quatre's splash just before the stream took another turn. But he had to catch him, he knew that, and he swam faster.

The thoughts that were racing through Quatre's head were jumbled, but at the end of each thought there he was, Duo. He had tried to rationalize it to himself, by saying I'm just happy to have a friend, but no, he knew it was more than that. It had to be. Friends don't make you feel like Duo did. Safe, warm, maybe even loved. He shook his head. I've watched Moulin Rouge too many times, and then he stopped. He was never sure what came over him, an urge to see Duo, to not run away, to face this boy that was turning his life upside-down. This boy that made him feel wonderful, complete. He turned and waited for Duo.

This was a day full of surprises for Duo, because whatever he was expecting when he turned that corner was not Quatre. He couldn't move at the sight of him, he looked so beautiful, his eyes seemed to read Duo's very soul. Wet bangs stuck gently to his forehead, and his bare chest heaved lightly. He was breathless.

Quatre didn't know what to do when he finally saw Duo submerge from the water and stand in front of him. He was so amazing, his braid was dangling over his right shoulder and beads of water trickled down his chest. His body and soul screamed at him to do what he felt, and Quatre was very good at that.

"Why did you swim away, Quatre?" Duo asked, his voice full of concern.

"I. .I. .umm," the words wouldn't come no matter how he tried.

Duo took several steps forward and placed his hands on Quatre's shoulders. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you," Duo said, squeezing Quater's shoulders slightly.

What happened next was a shock to both boys. Quatre was never sure what came over him, but he grabbed Duo's face in both of his gentle hands and pressed his lips to the other boy's. Duo, although quite shocked, responded favorably wrapping his wiry arms around Quatre's frame in order to be just that much closer to him. They stood in their embrace, lips tenderly locked and hearts beating as one.