Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Painting the Desert ❯ What the Future Held ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

What the Future Held

The sands of time change everything. What once was gets swept into the past to be replaced by the new. This simple fact of life is one that can, sadly, not be changed. This is what caused the Winner Estate to be sold to an Arabian royal family after the passing of Mr. Winner. This is also why Quatre now lived in a cozy apartment in London, composing for the London Orchestra. He was headed home, the frost bitten air brushed past his bare cheeks as he made his way down the snowy street. I'm not made for cold climates, he thought, as he bundled his coat tighter around his frame.

Warm memories of the desert flooded his brain. The hot sun beating down on the yellow sand. The boy in black next to the crashed air plane. The escape of the over grown garden, the jungle, the lagoon like pool that flowed through it. The lazy summer days spent swimming and laughing. Eating snacks, and watching DVD's. The ballroom with its plethora of musical instruments to play, the way he loved to listen for hours. The piano, the harp, the violin. The hours spent studying, together. They were always together. Quatre sighed, but that was then. The growing up, maturing. Going to college. Burying my father.

A gust of extra icy wind threatened to lift Quatre off his feet, but he managed to struggle forward. Just one more block, he said to himself, and smiled at the thought of his home. The entire place decorated for style and comfort, two things that are very important. A warm bowl of soup and some tea. Cuddling up on the couch with the cat and maybe reading, for a bit. These thoughts filled his mind with ease as he neared home.

Entering the apartment was an instant relief from the cold, warm air rushed around him as he unbundled himself from the coat and scarf. Smokey, the cat, rubbed against his legs as he pulled off his snow soaked shoes.

"Hey there, how's my girl?" Quatre asked nuzzling the gray ball of fur. She purred and rubbed her face on his before he finally put her down. He could smell something cooking and smiled as he entered the small kitchen. Potato soup and bread, it smelled great.
Duo stood wearing a faded pink apron adding more pepper to the soup. His braid was tucked into the apron string, to avoid getting any in the food.

"I can't believe you still have that apron," Quatre commented as he kissed the back of Duo's head.

Duo laughed. "Yeah, I know. But Saarah gave it to me, and I swear it helps me cook."

Quatre joined his laughter and poured himself a cup of English Breakfast before settling down at the set table.

"This is great, Duo. Thank you," Quatre said as Duo sat down a bowl and plate for him.

Duo smiled and sat down next to him. "Hey, Quatre. I love you."

Quatre looked up, smiling, from his bowl of warm soup that he was dipping the bread in. "I love you, too."

The end.

More Author's notes: So, what did you think? If you wanna leave feedback I'd really appreciate it. It makes me happy. Or even better you can read some of my other fics! Yeah, go read "Murder and a Music Box." It is a new GW ficcy I'm working on. It is a mystery and Duo is a detective. Go on and check it out. Thanks!!!