Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ First Assignment ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.

CHAPTER SEVEN: FIRST ASSIGNMENT

Wallowing in his insolence once again, Heero sat idly at a local bar, drinking himself blind. Developing immunity to the alcoholic content, it took longer than usual for him to feel the alluring buzz of nothingness. Relena's abrupt disappearance and sudden reappearance didn't make any sense to him. She was not prone to outrageous behavior and he knew that better than anyone. 'What was she thinking?' He pondered.

He grew restless from just sitting there and so he paid his bill and drove to Relena's home. Unlike before, he managed to control his temper and emotions, and kept away at a distance. Her bedroom light was still on and he could see a silhouette of her perfect figure behind the window curtains. From her shadowed replica, she was getting ready for bed although, she looked just as restless as him, walking about, not sure where she wanted to go.

Minutes later, the light was out, leaving the once lit room in a dark void. He continued staring at her window for a little longer before he went on his way.

"Relena, do you have the same demons haunting your dreams as I do?"

Feeling comforted from his late night stroll, he couldn't help thinking about her. She was Gandhi personified through her selfless heart, her strength in her work. He could go on and on. In other words, she was his complete opposite. In all the years of his intense training, he learned nothing but the importance of a mission, the dedication to war, and the merciless destruction needed to overcome any adversary who stands in his way. However, despite Dr. J's efforts, his mentor and father figure never prepared him for someone like Relena Darlian. Heero could not recall a moment in his life where he could really 'feel.' Emotions never existed but when he was with her, when her presence dominates any conversation, there is something he feels. This so-called emotion could be anything: anger, hate, jealousy, betrayal, friendship, companionship, maybe even love? Not bloody likely. The perfect soldier would never understand such a word. What is love?

Relena Darlian is a battlefield in itself. She has placed an invisible barrier around herself ever since the assassination of her father and has undoubtedly remained distant from everyone around her. Her passion will forever remain with her work and her people. However, he remembered there were times when she really opened up to him once they were alone. Heero remembered her words of sorrow, her pained expressions when she shared her past with him. He would always remain silent when she spoke for she had the most beautiful voice, soft, calm, and sensual.

She had it all but she refused to allow happiness to creep into her life. He knew the only happiness she wanted could not be granted. Everyone has come to realize her undying devotion to her first love, Heero Yuy, but he was not able to deliver. Heero always assumed it was a ridiculous obsession when they were younger but now, he's not so sure. Of course, the only way he could escape from those troubling thoughts was to resign and stay as far away from her as possible. What other choice was there? Now that the world was safe, the perfect soldier was not needed, especially not in the hands of Preventers or the Vice Foreign Minister.

What would be his purpose in this world now?


~*~*~
At precisely 10:00 am, Relena was in a board meeting with the executive party discussing the current issues regarding resource shipment from Colony L4. The room was furnished with an oval conference glass table in the center. Twelve seats encircled the large glass piece, belonging to each member of the executive government and one extra seat in which Relena was situated. Her presence in such meetings was just as important as the other twelve members for she too, held one vote and the authority to pass or reject treaties, economic contracts, and the like.

"Do we all disagree that the shipments coming from L4 should be given a tariff, then?" Relena's voice dominated the room as she made eye contact with each person. After a heated discussion and debate on the issue, it was time for the vote.

Their reply was a simple nod and the notion was passed.

"Very well, then. This will greatly improve their economic status as well as their standard of living." Acknowledged Lucas Pavilion, one of the oldest members of parliament as well the wisest.

"Let's continue this in two weeks' time." Proclaimed Dominic Sackheim, as he began rising from his seat. Relena has already gotten used to being the only female in such meetings since all the members were clearly male. Regardless of her gender, they respected her knowledge in their field as well as accepted her young age. Not only was she the only female but she was the youngest member as well.

"Good day gentlemen." Relena concluded as they all began packing away stacks of papers that needed to be finished in their own respective offices.

Each of the members briefly shook hands with her as they departed from the conference room, offering their own comments relating to current issues. Closing the door behind her, Vincent McCallister appeared right in front of her, asking if there were any problems that popped up from the last meeting. Like every other time, there were none and his plans to get closer to her proved to be in vain.

"There is nothing for you to worry about, Vincent. Everything is according to schedule." Relena explained as Vincent escorted her to her office. "However, I will be needed on L4 to settle a few papers."

"Will you need me with you?" He asked, looking hopeful.

"Not this time." She replied without looking at him. "The shuttle will be leaving tonight."

"Tonight?! So soon?"

Before she could reply, the phone rang incessantly in the background. She walked around her desk to answer it. "Are you alone?" Greeted the unknown caller.

"Who is this?" Relena asked sounding impatient. After the brief encounter with Vincent, she did not have enough nerves to deal with anyone at the moment.

Ignoring her question, the strange voice said, "I have important instructions for you so I suggest you to kindly ask the man to leave."

Aside from the eerie voice on the other end, she was more shocked by the fact that he could see into her office and notice Vincent. Relena remained silent for a few seconds before putting the receiver by her right shoulder and made eye contact with Vincent.

"I'm afraid I have to take this call. Why don't we continue this conversation when I get back from L4." She announced looking solemn and turned her back to him, informing the Minister of Foreign Affairs that she was finished talking to him.

"Alright, if that is what you wish. Please be careful, Relena." He replied before heading to the door.

Once the door was shut, she had complete privacy and she was prepared to expel all the frustration and anger to the phone. "Listen! I don't know how you were able to see into this office but I want you to stop immediately or I'll call security. Do you hear me?"

"Poor deluded Miss Darlian. You should know by now that we must keep an eye on you or else how would we know whether you have not broken the contract of your own accord or not." He chuckled.

'The Contract.' Suddenly everything made sense. She was about to think that the nightmare she endured in the past few days was just that, a nightmare. How wrong she was.

"What do you want?" She stammered.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Larson Quentin and I will be your informant. You are only to accept orders and assignments from me, is that clear?" Quentin asked slowly.

"Crystal."

"Very good. You want to know what I want? I want a dead body. You must kill a member of the executive board before you board the shuttle tonight." He instructed carefully.

Before replying, Relena laughed. "You must be joking. I leave in a few hours. How can I possibly…"

"You will do this or else half of the earth's population will die tonight. Your choice, Relena!" Quentin hollered. "Nobody has left the building yet. Why don't we start out with dear old Mr. Lucas Pavilion?"

"No, please." Relena pleaded. Lucas was far more than just the oldest member on the board but he has been a father figure to Relena ever since her father was assassinated.

"Well, then take your pick but I must warn you… it must be done tonight."

"I … I … I don't have a weapon." She stuttered, feeling weak all of a sudden.

"Why, there's a simple solution to every problem. Open your top desk drawer to the left, you'll find what you need." Quentin supplied before he hung up the phone. Sometimes he really hated his job.

She placed the phone back on the receiver and sat on her chair before trying to pull open the drawer. Relena felt numb, almost as if she was still asleep, still dreaming sweet dreams. In one quick motion, she opened the drawer to discover a standard handgun with a silencer on it.


~*~*~
7:00 pm

With only a purse in hand, Relena walked up the ramp and into the space shuttle that was about to take off. Alexander followed her shortly after. She found her seat and buckled the leather straps on tightly before her bodyguard sat beside her.

"Do you have everything, Relena?" He asked her.

"Yes."

"All loose ends tied up?"

"I guess you can say that." She replied coldly.

Realizing that she was in no mood for a polite conversation, he left her silent and prepared himself for the takeoff. Turning her head to face the oval window, she peered out into the night with a single tear falling freely from her eyelid and running down her pale cheeks.

TBC…