Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Just Another Day ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.


CHAPTER SIXTEEN: JUST ANOTHER DAY

The men exited the building and met Duo just running up the steps to headquarters. Duo noticed that all three of them look slightly frazzled and exhausted. Quatre hadn’t arrived yet.

“Don’t tell me I missed everything.” Duo pouted.

“You didn’t miss anything.” Wufei announced. “We didn’t get anything from Relena. I thought Quatre was going to show.”

“Guess he’s not here yet. Let’s go grab a drink and I’ll inform Quatre where we’ll be.” The braided pilot recommended and the others complied.

They walked a couple of blocks to Rick’s Bar in silence. The dimly lighted bar was dressed with leathered seats and weathered oak tables. Several groups were already well into their conversations and their alcoholic intake from the evidence of empty jugs and glasses. It was a popular late-night joint for men to gather after work and this night wasn’t any different. Once they were settled in their booth and ordered their drinks, they began discussing the current situation.

Once Trowa updated the events for the evening, Duo sighed and said, “So, where we should we go from here?”

Before anyone could answer, Duo asked on an aside, “Hey, Heero. You’re mighty quiet tonight. What are your thoughts?”

“We need to figure out what’s really going on.” Wufei replied, not giving Heero a chance to speak his mind. “Relena’s still holding out on us and I will get down to the bottom of this. She’s already confessed unofficially. We just need to get her words on tape and…”

“Chang, shut up.” Heero finally spoke.

“No! I haven’t even settled the score with you yet. What you did back there in the cell was…”

“Wrong, Wufei. What YOU did back there to Relena was unforgivable.” Heero retorted, his voice increasing by an octave.

“Don’t let your libido do the thinking for you, Yuy.” Wufei challenged. “Relena’s guilty and you prevented me from getting the crucial information that … “

He didn’t have time to complete his thought when Heero made a grab for the front of Wufei’s shirt. The perfect soldier offered his death glare in the highest magnitude and whispered threateningly, “Don’t touch her again.” Finally, the unleashed anger that Heero managed to bottle up reared its ugly head. Hearing Wufei speaking ill of Relena brought back the moment when the Chinese man slapped her without hesitation and he did absolutely nothing about it.

Wufei eyed him viciously for two seconds and spat out, “Let go of me, Yuy.”

Duo and Trowa sat there in silence, not sure whether they should intervene or not. Before the argument could turn more vicious, Quatre walked to their table and sat down briefly.

“Sorry it took me so long to get here.” Quatre said by way of greeting. He could see the intensity on their faces. “What’s going on?”

Heero then released Wufei and turned back to his drink. They both straightened out their shirts and remained silent for a few beats.

“Nothing.” Wufei answered quietly.

Quatre sat through an entire hour not muttering a single utterance as Duo relayed to him what he himself just learned. Soon they were all up to date on the situation and Quatre could only sit there in shock from the night’s events.

“I want to see her. She might be more receptive to me than to Wufei.” Quatre admitted.

“I’m afraid that’s impossible. You’re not even involved in the case, Quatre. We’ve already told you far more than you should know.” Wufei said.

They chewed on that thought for a bit. Then Duo made a suggestion, “Actually, it might be a good idea for Quatre to go in there, soften her up a bit. We have nothing else to go on as of this moment.”

“We’ll see…. “ Wufei muttered and they all left it at that.

~*~*~

Two days have passed and Relena was still in the cell. Neither Wufei nor the other Gundam Pilots return for further questioning. In fact, the only human contact she had was with the security guards who brought her meals and took her to the rest room whenever she needed to. Further, shortly following the interview with the men in uniform a few nights ago, she was informed by one of the guards that the cell would be securely monitored with a high tech camera, keeping track of her every move. Even now, she could see the solid red light glowing in the left hand corner, mocking her. She recognized her guards from previous encounters on her trips or whenever she greeted them in the halls. That would probably explain why they were more friendly than usual to the prisoner locked in. However, Relena understood her position so she didn’t use their friendly nature against them. Regardless of the situation, they still respected her and treated her in kind.

No doubt about it, she was a prisoner here and the chances of her being released were slim to none. Relena used her unusual spare time to truly think things over regarding her predicament. Looking on the bright side of things, there were no rumors of any bomb threats in the city. However, that also left her on edge for it meant that the underground organization was planning something. The bomb factor could very well still be in their blueprint of evil scheming. They never contacted her after the last call from Quentin, where he instructed her to eliminate Pavilion since she had an ample opportunity to carry out her mission when everyone had clearly gone home.

Despite failing her mission, she was thankful that someone stopped her from killing him. Mr. Pavilion had been nothing more than a generous and doting individual on her counsel and she trusted him indefinitely. She didn’t know how she could possibly live with herself, knowing that she was the responsible for his death. Also, it didn’t mean that she was any less indifferent in killing Sackheim and Smith. In those hours of thinking, she thought of their families. Relena couldn’t let go Wufei’s last words to her before he left. She knew he was right. The families must hate her so much for what she had done. How could she even face them to apologize and send her condolences? It would be a miracle for her to stay alive should they ever be in the same room.

“How did I end up like this?” Relena asked herself.

~*~*~

On the third day, Relena started growing feverish. The poison was probably working through her system at a faster rate than before. She would have the occasional coughing spell and she began coughing up blood but couldn’t exactly remember which day. Things were definitely not looking well for her. She knew she didn’t have much time left. Even sitting up from a night of unrest was difficult for her, let alone walking around and eating the meager morsels of food offered to her. Relena began feeling less hungry by the passing of days.




Alexander was fortunate to get past the guards to visit her and she thanked god that she no longer needed to be alone for the next little while.

“Miss Relena. I’m not sure how you got into this mess but the Preventer soldiers will get to the bottom of this.” Alexander began. “Rumor has it that you were the one who killed Sackheim and Smith. That possibly can’t be true, can it?”

She couldn’t even look at him. Suddenly it felt as if Alexander outstayed his welcome. “Alexander, you need to find another client to protect. It appears that I’ll no longer need your services.”

“Why would you say that?” He looked confused.

“Please. Go back to the agency and request for a new client to oversee.” That was all Relena said and she knocked on the door for the guards to escort him out.

“Be safe, Relena, and have faith.” Were his last words to her.






Another visitor showed up to visit her that day and she found it equally surprising to discover Vincent McCallister there.

“I guess I have to thank you, Relena.” Vincent began the moment he walked into the door. However, he wasn’t the only one who entered her chamber. Right behind Vincent followed Larson Quentin. ‘Why would he be here?’ She wondered.

“Vincent, that man behind you. He’s the one who…”

“… who orchestrated this charade?” Vincent finished, chuckling. “Actually, I was the one who ordered him to follow my orders strictly as designed.” He laughed even louder when he saw the stricken look on her face. “Not to worry, my love. Things have worked out much better than expected. Having you accused for their deaths, and rightfully so mind you, I am able to step up to the high ranking seat of your position.”

She had to sit on the bed from the sudden brute information. Vincent continued confessing merrily as Quentin stood behind him, grinning.

“You made me kill them…. And for what?” She managed to spill out. Tears were beginning to form beneath her eyelids and she brushed them away angrily. She promised herself that she wouldn’t cry.

Ignoring her question, Vincent announced proudly, “You were stripped of your title just last evening at the counsel and I was put in your place.”

“But that can’t be. There was no trial yet.” Relena whispered.

“True enough. That’s the beauty of politics. They try to shovel anything tainted under the rug. You’ll be locked up for a very long time and the government will convert into my image. You were a weak leader, always have been!”

“We should go, sir.” Quentin said. Vincent complied by turning back to the door. “One more thing, Relena. We could have been something. You must be the dumbest person not to have noticed how I felt for you.”

“Don’t make me sick.” Relena spat out. “I can’t believe you made me kill them…. They were good men.”

Still chuckling, Vincent knelt in front of Relena and tilted her head up with his right hand. “How does it feel to have your hands tainted with so much death, my love? Don’t worry though, soon you’ll be joining them.”

She stared straight at the true perpetrator behind all this chaos; disgusted by the way he was touching her.

“Can you feel the poison coursing through your veins, Relena? Oh, yes I haven’t forgotten about that. Consider it redemption, a parting gift from me. Soon, your life will be nothing but an empty shell of guilt and remorse for the lives that you have taken.”

“Sir, we must go.” Quentin announced a bit louder this time.

“Right, right. There’s so much to be done, love. Too bad you won’t be there to see it.” Before he stood up, he placed a gentle kiss on her lips and patted her cheek. She was too shocked to do anything. Relena couldn’t even blink.

“Farewell, Relena. Give my best to Lucifer when you see him.”

A last tear fell from her eyes when they left and she remained fixed in her position for hours; frozen in a trance-like state of pure agony and shock.

TBC…