Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ The Culprit Identified ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.


CHAPTER NINETEEN: THE CULPRIT IDENTIFIED

“You’re not looking too well, Relena.” McCallister snickered. “You might want to have a doctor look at you.”

Relena held his gaze with contempt and remained utterly silent.

“Aren’t we a little too young for the silent treatment?” He asked. “I noticed you were getting mighty close to that soldier. What did you tell him?”

“Get out. I don’t have to say anything to you.” Relena retorted angrily. She took three deep breaths to settle herself. It wouldn’t do her any good to overreact at a time like this.

McCallister marched right up to her and grabbed her forcefully by the neck. “Wrong answer!” He slowly applied pressure onto her slim neckline and noticed the drastic drain of color on her cheeks. “I thought we didn’t have to worry about you. Guess you proved me wrong. Now tell me!”

She tried desperately to release the firm grip but her efforts proved not only useless but it also zapped more of the little strength she had. “I … told…”

“What was that? Speak up, Relena, or else this will be the last breath you take.” He decided to release some of the strain so she could respond.

“Noth… I told … him nothing!” Relena managed to force out.


Standing impatiently outside, Heero heard something strange coming from the other room and he turned to the direction of the sound. He was contemplating whether to barge in there or not when Wufei got off the elevator and began walking towards him.

Without so much as a greeting, Wufei went right to the point. “Trowa and Duo found something on the tapes, or rather, lack thereof.”

“I’ll be there in a minute.” Heero replied. He had a deep suspicion as to what they discovered on the tapes but decided not to voice his opinions aloud.

The Chinese pilot was persistent. “No, now.”

Heero looked at the barricading door between him and Relena. As much as he wanted to stay with her, he knew something important must have been discovered and his skills were needed elsewhere. “I’ll go but I need you to do something for me.”

Wufei waited.

“The moment McCallister steps out of that room, reach under the bed-table. You’ll find a mini-recorder. I’ll need that back.” Heero explained.

Wufei looked slightly puzzled. “You’re taping their conversation?”

Heero began walking to the elevators. “Just a precaution.” He said and waved to Wufei as he moved past him. “I like to have all my cards in one deck. We all know she’s hiding something.”

Wufei continued staring at the Perfect Soldier, baffled. He needed to raise his voice slightly so that Heero could hear him from the other end of the hall. “There’s no trust, is there?” Suddenly, he noticed where he found his colleague and decided to pry, “By the way, Yuy, care to explain what you’re doing here in the medical wing? With Relena?”

The elevator doors opened and he stepped in without so much as paying attention to Wufei’s remark.

Meanwhile, McCallister still had his death grip on Relena. He smiled cynically at her and slowly released his fingers. Finally she was able to breathe again and she inhaled as much air into her hunger-deprived lungs.

“Forget it. I wouldn’t want them discovering another dead body. There’s been too many of those popping up, wouldn’t you agree?” He whispered. “It wouldn’t really matter anyway. There’s no proof and you know it.”

She could only stare at him.

He smiled inwardly. “No, I lied. All the evidence collected will be directed at you. That will be unfortunate for one particular blond beauty. You don’t have many days left. I suggest you use the time to reminisce and think about all the time you wasted in politics.”

“Don’t kill them.” She declared with more force than she had.

He was knocked off his banter of words from her statement but he was more surprised to see her still speaking with authority despite her situation. He couldn’t believe she was still concerned for the citizens. “You mean your precious public?” The man laughed loudly.

“Let me fill you in on a secret. I never had any intention of killing the citizens. I already have them in my grasp.” He explained as he walked around the room. “You’re too easy to fool, Relena. We say jump and you ask how high. If we didn’t lie to you, what were our chances that you would carry out the plan? Very unlikely.”

With every word he spoke, she grew angrier with herself and at Vincent McCallister. Relena tried restraining herself from ripping his heart out by rolling her fingers into tight fists. Her fists were so tight that her nails were digging painfully into her skin. Relena’s anger blinded the pain that she didn’t even notice tiny droplets of blood coming from the cuts.

“Get out!” She cried with more force than she thought.

He walked to the door and concluded their conversation with one final statement. “This will be the last time we meet. It has been a pleasure, as always.”

When the door opened, a cold draft escaped from the room and McCallister simply walked past Wufei without any form of acknowledgement. Wufei waited until he left the hall before entering. The room seemed much colder and he noticed Relena sitting silently with her head looking at her bed sheets.

Without looking up, she knew the man who entered wasn’t Heero. After so many years being with the Japanese pilot, she had become accustomed to his walk and his behaviour. She was half glad not to see Heero reenter. It would have hurt even more to have him see her like this.

“Heero had something urgent come up.” Wufei said by way of explanation for his appearance and Heero’s absence.

She merely nodded.

He walked to her bedside and noticed the little blotches of blood on her bedspread right below her hands. Wufei gently reached for her right hand and had to apply some force to unwind her fingers from the grip. He could see the trails of blood from her palm and the cuts that released the red liquid. They were fresh cuts.

“Relena, you’re bleeding.” He stated as if someone was commenting on the weather. She was suddenly too tired to respond.

He used an index finger to wipe away at the blood, to see whether or not the cuts were in too deep. Fortunately, they weren’t too serious. Very discreetly, he reached under the table as Heero suggested and pulled the recorder out of its place, then locked it into his jacket pocket without Relena ever suspecting.

On his way out, he said, “Don’t give in so easily before it really ends.”

She was somewhat surprised from his show of concern, even if it was a minor one. Maybe Wufei didn’t despise her as much as she thought. Perhaps his hatred for her didn’t run as deep as he wanted everyone to think.


Heero entered the dark room and needed a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the sudden change of lighting. Duo and Trowa sat crouched in front of the monitor, not even noticing a new presence in the room.

“So, what do you have?” Heero asked by way of greeting.

Without looking up, Duo said, “We believe the video feed was tampered with. There’s a period of white snow in between two clips and we have no idea what happened.”

“I think I have an idea.” Heero said and didn’t care to elaborate.

Duo and Trowa waited for him to continue and when he didn’t, Trowa prodded, “Well?”

He paced around the room, staring at the screen. Suddenly, he thought of something. “Wait, do we have surveillance in the infirmary?”

“Um.. no. Relena should be fine in there.” Duo replied but then added, “But I’m still worried about her. I haven’t had much of a chance to speak with her and see what’s going on. It’s this damn case. I don’t even have time to sleep anymore. I believe I speak for all of us when I say how terribly worried we are about her. How did she end up getting into this mess anyway?”

Heero stopped pacing and looked at both of them. “We’re about to find out. Rewind the tape again to where the snow appeared.” Trowa did just that and they viewed the scene where Alexander entered the room once again.

“That’s…”

”The Bodyguard. I know.” Heero finished Duo’s sentence for him. “So, once he left the room, the video turns blank?”

“Pretty much.” The braided pilot responded. All three men remained quiet, trapped in their own thoughts. “Okay, we’re looking too much into the tape. Just think for a second here. We know Relena was forced to off the two men.”

“How do you know that?” Trowa asked.

Just then Wufei, too, entered to join them. Suddenly the dark room became a lot smaller with so many bodies crammed into the small workplace. “Here’s your recorder.” Wufei announced to Heero as he threw the mini device back to its owner. He caught it with one hand just as easily as it was thrown.

“You came just in time. I was about to share some vital information here.” Heero said. Then he explained what Relena confessed to him a few minutes ago.

“Who has the most to gain through all this?” Wufei asked, hoping to get their brain wheels turning.

Heero looked up, stared straight at the Chinese man and said, “Vincent McCallister. The same man who’s in the room with …” Before he had a chance to finish, he raced out the door faster than anything the other men have witnessed.

TBC…