Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Relena's Return ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.

CHAPTER FIVE: RELENA'S RETURN


Heero lay lifelessly on his worn mattress, staring at the tattered ceiling. His arms hung off both sides of his bed, with no particular function. The thoughts in his mind bounced continuously like juggling balls with no master in control. What has become of Relena? Could it possibly have been his fault for her disappearance? He didn't even want to consider that possibility or else the guilt riding in him would be too great.

"You're not my responsibility anymore." He mumbled to no one in particular.

She was only a mission, a pawn in the ongoing chess game on the world stage. It was his duty to look out for her and nothing more. He tried convincing himself of this point but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't accept it. There was more to his job, his duty, his obligation, but what?

"Dammit Relena." He cursed, while dragging himself out of bed and grabbing his coat. Despite his wariness, he left his apartment, in search for the Vice Foreign Minister. While driving around town, he remembered promising himself never to become involved with Relena again on any level. And now, he finds himself in the very situation he had been avoiding since handing in his resignation.



~*~*~

Quentin ran into his office and contacted the boss as quickly as his fingers can dial the phone pad.

"What now Quentin?" The dark shadowed bellowed. He was obviously not in a good mood.

"Sir, bad turn of events. Relena's body has become terminally unstable due to the injection. She won't last longer than a couple of hours." Quentin replied nervously.

Silence stretched on as the shadow remained in deep thought. "Then we have no other choice. Give her the vaccine."

"But, sir. It has not been tested yet. What if there are residual effects? Suffice it to say, it may do more damage to her."

"Then we'll use it as a leverage. As long as she does not die before her task, then we'll be fine. Do you understand, Quentin?"

"Yes, sir I do. We'll get right on it."

As soon as their conversation ended, Quentin delivered the instruction to the doctors and waited. The uneasy hours of the day progressed as Quentin waited for the news. Should anything happen to Relena before the mission was completed, all the work would have been for naught.

"Sir, her vital signs have improved. She's going to make it."

"Good. Transport her to the guest bedroom and I'll take it from there." Quentin ordered.

With the next half-hour, Relena was moved onto a queen-sized bed and Quentin sat idly beside her, waiting impatiently for her to regain consciousness.

Relena felt a pang of thirst stirring within her. She slowly opened her eyes to take in the room unfamiliar to her. Soon realizing she was no longer in the hospital room, she willed her arms to move but they avoided her commands and lay motionless. 'At least the torturous headache has been lifted,' she thought. Relena noticed the room was opulently decorated with velvet curtains hanging above the floor-to-ceiling windows. Furniture was placed with obvious detail and precision and the lighting in the room was more than perfect. The brightness of each luminent bulb emitted a heavenly glow that was neither taunting nor intimidating, but offered a feeling of comfort and care.

"I see you're awake Miss Darlian." Quentin began slowly. "We have much to discuss."

With much effort, she attempted to sit upright and Quentin noticed her struggles. He helped her to lean against the bed frame and reclaimed his seat by her side.

"Indeed we do. Please tell me what day it is. I feel as if I've been asleep for weeks." She said, finding her voice foreign to her.

"Only five days have passed, Miss Darlian. It's Wednesday."

"Hmmm..." She hummed, trying to recollect everything that has happened but she couldn't find her memories of the past week. Everything was a blur.

"Don't mind if I sound a bit harsh Miss Darlian but let's get straight to the point."

Feeling a bit confused, she motioned her hand for him to continue. "Please do. As you realize, I must be getting back soon. I have been away from my duty for too long."

"Indeed you have." He began. "This may be a shock to you but you have been captured by an underground organization, which I will not mention at this present time. Our mission is simple. We want control of the government, of your government to be precise."

Relena was flabbergasted by his remark. It took several seconds for her to regain her thinking. "This must be some sort of joke. First I was in the hospital and now you're telling me that you want dominance over the Earth Sphere Unified Nations? That's simply outrageous!"

"Is it?" He chuckled before continuing. "With control of the government, we can make all the final decisions regarding internal and external relations. That power sounds mighty tempting doesn't it?"

"What you're suggesting is impossible! No one claims ownership of the government. Our decisions are based on a democratic vote. If you were thinking of claiming this 'power' why, you would have to own more than fifty percent of the votes... The members of the board have their own voice and they would never agree to such an instigation. It's impossible!" She repeated.

"Such heartfelt words from the Vice Foreign Minister." He cooed. "We will own more than fifty percent of those so-called votes and you are going to help us."

"Us?"

"Our leader will have this power."

"You know what your 'leader' is? He's a blind leading a blind. I'm telling you. It's not possible. You'd have to kill the members of the board in order to get what you're telling me...."

Quentin smiled and it finally dawned on Relena. This organization hungered for control and instead of the routine coup-d'etat, they wanted to go about it from the inside track.

"I'm sure you do realize that it's almost impossible to touch any of those members on the executive board, let alone kill them." She announced, regaining some of her confidence back.

"True. That's why we have you."

"Me?"

"You're going to be our helpful little assassin and kill them off one by one."

From his last statement, Relena laughed out loud despite the pain in her stomach. Her laughter annoyed Quentin so much that he wanted to slap her but he refrained from doing so. She never remembered laughing this hard.

"Now I know you're kidding." Turning serious once again, she claimed. "I would sooner die before I kill anyone let alone my own government."

"Typical. Somehow I knew those would be the exact words coming from your mouth before you even spoke. However, there are a few things that you should know." Quentin taunted.

"What is that?"

"First of all, we've injected you with a poison and it will slowly kill you. If you do not have the antidote in your body by the time it strikes your brain cells, you will die the most excruciating and painful deaths that mankind has ever known." Quentin threatened although he knew that there was nothing physically wrong with her, aside from the remaining effects of the vaccination. Despite the doctors' claims, he was still unsure of those effects. He may not be very much off the mark in the end.

"I'm not afraid to die." She said defiantly. Relena recollected the countless times that she thought of those very words.

"That we are well aware of, Miss Darlian. However, if you do not accomplish the tasks that we give you, more than half of the Earth's population will perish by your selfish deeds."

"Selfish?"

"Yes. Think about it. Would you sacrifice millions of lives over a minor dozen?"

She closed her eyes, realizing the choice they have narrowed down for her. "So, you would have me kill the twelve members on the executive board or risk the lives of millions? Tough decision." She mimicked. "You know, I could always end my life and this conversation would have proved useless."

"Suicide is not the solution, Relena. You really think we would let you do that? How humble of you!" Quentin mocked. "But once you terminate your life, we too, will terminate this contract and those lives will still be lost for your incompetence."

Relena soon found herself speechless. They have spun a web for her, a deeply entangled web of deception and deceit.

"Either way, Miss Darlian. You lose. It depends on whether you want to lose small or lose big."


"You can't ask me to do this. I won't do it."

"I'm afraid you have no choice. If you cooperate with us, maybe we won't demand too much from you. We only need more than half of the votes after all. You might not have to kill all twelve members. Furthermore, we'll give you the vaccine free of charge." He laughed, feeling he has won the conversation.

"Let me out of here. I want to go home." She said, avoiding his remark.

"We will let you go home but not until you agree to our little contract. Only if you agree, will we let you leave."

She slowly felt her confidence drift off into thin air. She needed to calm down and think of a way out of this crisis. Instead of breaking out of her political facade, she decided to play along with their game and figure out how to solve this predicament later on. "Fine, you win." Relena whispered.

Quentin grinned widely at her. "We knew you would see it our way. Now I must tell you the conditions of this contract."

"Conditions? Just let me out of here." Relena nearly yelled.

"Patience. First of all, if you go to the authorities, we will terminate this contract. Second, should you decide to take the coward's way out and end your life, we will terminate this contract. Third, you must keep this only to yourself. Should anyone discover our motives, we will terminate this contract. Fourth, ..."

"Alright, I get it. I'll keep this under wraps. Now, may I please leave?" Relena interrupted him.

"And let me guess, 'terminating this contract' would mean the death of those millions of people. Correct?"

"On the button." Quentin smiled again. Relena hated that smile.



~*~*~

Heero was growing impatient. After driving on the streets for hours, he didn't even pick up the slightest clue of finding Relena. Soon his patience turned into frustration. "Where are you Relena?"

His cell phone then, rang loudly and disrupted him from his thoughts.

"Yeah, who is it?" He answered grudgingly.

"Heero, it's Duo. I thought you might like to know; they found her."

"Found her? Where?"

"She's standing on the street in front of her house."


TBC...


NOTE: This chapter may be a bit confusing. Do tell me if it is and I'll make the necessary changes.