Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Phases of Memory ❯ Mars Bound ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't Gundam Wing, or the characters from Gundam Wing. I do own the minor characters and non-GW people.

Warnings: Some violence, some cursing, and possible gore, but not sure at this point.
Pairings: Definitely non-yaoi, 100%! 1xR, 2xH, 3xMU (?), 4xD, 5xS, 6x9
Surprises: Definitely going to have some. Not telling you what they are. ^_~
Genre/Categories: Sci-fi (most definitely), drama, some amount of action, and occasional humor.

Gundam Wing: Phases of Memory
Phase 03-Mars Bound
By Sailor Celaeno

Zechs sighed as he finally took a seat in their living room. It had been a long day and he was glad to be home. Grace was the nanny that he and Noin had hired to take care of Annie when they were both at work.
"Mr. Peacecraft, sir."
"No messages for us at home?"
"None. Annie was fine, if that is what you're wondering."
Zechs smiled. She'd only been around for three weeks, but she already knew the routine of the Peacecraft household. Zechs was sent away on missions to Mars at any time, so he often had a packed suitcase ready for him to travel at moment's notice. He was very frustrated by the forced separation from his family. He was especially anxious about his daughter, Anastasia. It had bothered him that he wasn't at the hospital to see Annie's birth. He had fears of being gone from her life.
Noin would always try to reassure him that he was just being paranoid, but very little could convince him. Noin was always worried about her husband. Annie was going to be fine, and she was sure of this. Her tight schedules also made it hard for her to be with her own baby.
Annie looked a lot like Noin, down to the dark hair. However, there was something about her eyes that reminded Noin of Zechs. There was a certain aura that reflected in her eyes. Noin noticed this in Zechs and even Relena. She called it the Peacecraft eyes. They were very beautiful to look at. When Annie's gaze met yours, she drew you into them. Perhaps that was what Zechs loved about the baby most. He was pulled into her eyes. Eyes that were filled with real love.
Grace smiled softly at the baby she held in her arms. She handed Annie to her father. "Dinner is on the stove."
Zechs looked worried. "You didn't have to…"
"Oh I know, but I thought it would help since you and Mrs. Peacecraft have been working late this week."
Zechs smiled slightly at her. "Thanks. Noin and I appreciate this a lot."
Grace nodded and left.
Zechs held his daughter in his arms. "So Princess, how was your day?"
Annie just looked at him. He didn't care if she had an answer or not. He just wanted to have her right there with him.
Noin soon walked in. "I saw Grace. She said dinner was on the stove?"
Zechs nodded as he played with Annie.
Noin smiled. "It's funny. Three years ago, I'd never believe that I would ever see you like this."
"Like what?" Zechs glanced up.
"Playing with her. You're at peace with things aren't you."
Zechs turned back to Annie. "They're right when they say that everything changes when you have kids. The world is a much different place than you thought it was."
Noin smiled back, "Well I'm glad something keeps you grounded Zechs." Even though he was legally Milliardo Peacecraft and his young family took on that name, Noin called him Zechs out of habit. He fondly called her "his Noin" in return.
"What do you mean?" he furrowed his brow.
"Sometimes I wonder what your motivation to stay sometimes. There are times that I think you wish you could be free and away from things."
Zechs frowned. "You don't think I love you."
"It's not that."
"Then what?"
"You know that I love you and that if I could be apart from you for years between the Academy days and the war, that I could wait again. Annie will bring you back faster."
Zechs was still frowning. "That still sounds wrong."
"I'm not jealous of my baby. I'm not jealous of anyone. You're just afraid that if you go away that she'll be the one person in your life that won't be waiting for you or missing you."
Zechs grimaced. "I didn't know you felt this way."
"I've known you felt this way. Don't smother Annie. She's your daughter. You can't smother her and think that it'll make her love you more. People, even when they're only babies, are better than that."
Zechs sighed a little. "You're right."
Noin sighed too. "I didn't want to sound like I'm angry. I wanted you to realized that you can't torture yourself just because you can't be around 24-7."
Zechs stood up. "Let's eat." Zechs had a slight smile, "I can't argue with my wife on an empty stomach." He took Annie and Noin followed behind.

**********

Dorothy arched an eyebrow. She was reading through piles of papers that were on her desk. She sighed as she tried to concentrate on contracts. Finally she snapped her pencil and screamed in frustration. Just then Quatre opened the door. She shook his head in sympathy. "Papers?"
Dorothy sighed and looked up from the chaos of papers all over her desk. "Why am I cursed with all this filing?"
Quatre smiled at her reassuringly. "Well things get better. Why don't you have Jessica clean that up and call it a day?"
Dorothy looked up at him. "The general has surrendered," she gave him a little smile. She got up from the leather executive seat and walked towards his waiting arm.
Quatre opened the door. Jessica, Dorothy's assistant, knew that was the signal to clean up the office for tomorrow's grueling journey through piles of deadlines. Dorothy had been getting her family's business in order, but it was a bigger task than she realized. She had 20 legal deadlines, and two coming up this very week. She was ready to scream and simply throw the papers in a fireplace just to get away. "I'm glad you've rescued me."
"It's all a part of my duty," Quatre chuckled.
"Well, just the same, you've rescued me from a fate worse than death. I really wish I didn't have to do that work, but it seems that I must. I can't get away from Grandfather's old responsibilities."
"Are you sure that you want to sell all that property?"
Dorothy nodded, "I have to. I can't keep track of all that. Unlike your family, my grandfather insisted on overseeing everything. At least your father had the decency to have some trustworthy people to help you handle all the financial responsibilities."
Quatre nodded. "I see your point." Quatre opened the lobby doors for Dorothy. "Where do you want to go?"
"As much as I'd like to say the fanciest place in town, I'd rather just go home."
"All right then." Quatre led her to his convertible. He opened the door for her before entering the other side and drove towards her small penthouse apartment.
"So, how have you been since I last saw you?"
Quatre laughed because he had seen her just last night. "Well I got a phone call from a mutual friend."
"Oh? Which one?"
"Nova."
"Nova? I wished she'd call me. Gives me an excuse not to deal with those stupid papers."
Quatre continued. "She's having a get together at her house next weekend. She thought it would save time if I helped invite everyone." By everyone, he meant all the gundam pilots and company.
"I'd be glad to see her house again. It's a lovely place out in the country. She has enough rooms in that house to start a bed and breakfast. I haven't been there in at least three years."
"I'll tell her we'll go."
"I've been thinking Quatre."
"Yes?" he made a turn towards her street.
"Did you ever wonder what it would be like if we moved in together?"
Quatre was silent for a moment. "You want to?"
Dorothy cleared her throat. "I thought it would be a nice little change of things for the two of us. After all, we've been together for almost a year, and it's time we should go to the next step."
"Well Dorothy, I never thought about things that way."
Dorothy pouted, "You never considered living with me?"
Quatre tried to save himself. "I have had the thought but I just never considered it with any real plan in mind."
Dorothy wasn't quite happy. "You never thought about us?"
Quatre sighed. "Of course I have. I'm just trying to make sure that not we're getting ahead of ourselves. We can't take moving in together so lightly. We're hardly used to living together. Are you sure we wouldn't annoy each other?"
Dorothy frowned. "If we get married, we're going to have to get used to things."
Quatre reddened. "Married?"
"Are you saying you wouldn't marry me?" Dorothy glared at her boyfriend.
Quatre reddened. "That's not what I meant!"
"Well what did you mean, Mr. Winner?"
Quatre knew he was in hot water when she called him 'Mr. Winner.' "Dorothy just hear me out. I don't want this relationship to go faster than it should. We have something nice going on. I wouldn't want to ruin things by doing something when it might not be the right time to do it. That's why marriage and such are things in the future. We can't act like it's happening now."
Dorothy reached her hand to his arm. "I didn't want to pressure you. I just wanted to know where you see us right now."
"Well I do love you. If that isn't enough, then I don't think anything else I do will be able to convince you."
Dorothy nodded. "You're right Quatre. I thank you for being honest."
Quatre stopped the car in front of her building. "Do you still want me to come up?"
Dorothy smirked. "Of course. I never said you could leave."
Quatre smiled. "I'll be up in a couple of minutes."
Dorothy watched him drive his car to the garage near the building. Dorothy smiled to herself, "Maybe I'll show him that teddy I bought the other day, after all."

**********

Sally sat at her desk reading various files piled high on her desk. Wufei knocked on the door. She glanced up for a moment before returning to her work. "Doing some light reading I see," Wufei smirked.
Sally ignored him as she flipped a page.
"I brought your dinner."
"Finally something worth stopping for," she teased as she put the file down."
Wufei stared at her as he put the takeout on what little empty space was on her desk. "What's all this about?"
Sally began moving a pile onto the floor next to her chair to allow a little more space. "There's a big medical conference I've been invited to. There are a lot topics being discussed. I'd just like to be up to date."
Wufei stared at the piles. "How in the world will you get this done?"
"I'm done with most of these. If I didn't have anything else pressing, I'd just read a few of these files."
"What's the location of this conference?"
"Colony H-194. It'll be five days, so I'm taking a week off."
Wufei frowned, "Why didn't you tell me?"
"Why would I tell you?"
Wufei frowned as he began eating his rice. "We're more than partners at work now. I'd like to know where my girlfriend is going."
Sally stared at him. "I suppose you're right. I'll apologize-this time."
Wufei nodded his acceptance. "I hope that you have an excellent trip."
Sally nodded as she ate some string beans and beef.

**********

Hilde's eyes were dropping as she stared at the computer screen. She had been at the machine for two hours and her job was nowhere near completion. She sighed as she cracked her arms and hands. "I still don't get it."
Duo approached with a slice of pepperoni pizza. He handed Hilde the paper plate. He had a plate for himself. They were both too tired, and busy to wash dishes that night. "Can't figure it out?"
Hilde shook her head. "PAGE is very clever in covering their tracks. I've been trying to hack their website, but with very little success. They have a major security system protecting them. I just can't figure out what to do about this."
Duo thought for a moment. "Say… didn't Pleiades release a new firewall program three months ago?"
Hilde nodded.
"Maybe Pleiades software is being used to protect their site?"
Hilde sighed. "Damn it!"
Duo apologized.
"No, not you. I'm mad at them. We're going to need to talk to Nova about the program. If I get a sample of the program, I could probably find some weaknesses in the software."
"I dunno Hilde. Knowing her, the program is probably close to impossible to crack open."
"There's always a chance to crack things open if you can spot the weakness. I know I can knock down the wall."

**********

"Hey Boss!"
"What is it?"
"Someone's been trying to hack into the system. The bugger is pretty good, but not good enough for that new firewall you got for us."
"Hm… someone may be on to us. I want you to keep me informed of anything."
"Sure thing, Cass."

Next time: More entanglements ahead! Our heroes begin getting some clues, but can they fit the puzzle together in time? Find out next time in Phase 04-The Image.