Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Phases of Memory ❯ The Image ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, or the characters from Gundam Wing. I do own the minor characters and non-GW people.

Warnings: You should know by now…
Pairings: *see Warnings*
Surprises: Definitely going to have some. Not telling you what they are. ^_~
Genre/Categories: If you can't figure this out by now…

Gundam Wing: Phases of Memory
Phase 04-The Image
By Sailor Celaeno

Nichola stared long and hard at the face in her mirror. She wasn't sure what to make of herself. Her hair was a soft, golden blond. Her tresses had a slight, wavy bounce. Her eyes had a glimmer of unique personality in them and she wondered who she really was. Nichola stared deeply into her eyes in the mirror. There was still a flicker of life in those eyes, but a sad emptiness still lingered there.
Nichola couldn't see what she wanted most to see. "Just who am I really?" Her head perked up as she heard a knock.
"Nichola?"
Nichola immediately stared at the door. "Come in."
Kelly entered the room. "You all right?" she asked with some concern on her face.
Nichola sighed. "Just wasn't sure of something."
"Wasn't sure?" Wasn't sure of what?"
Nichola shook her head. It's nothing. Nichola decided not to continue her train of thought. "You wanted to see me?"
Kelly knew when to drop something. "I'm going to give you a final briefing on your mission. Assuming you're ready for this. I'll understand if you're not up to it yet."
Nichola gave her a reassuring smile. "I'm all right. I swear I am. I think I'd like to get to work. It might clear my head up a little."
Kelly nodded. "I'll have to trust you to take it easy and don't push too hard." Kelly handed Nichola another file, but it was thin and would be easy to perusal. "You report to the lab on Tuesday at 9am."
Nichola reviewed the newest material as Kelly continued the briefing.

*****

Hilde smiled happily on the massage table. It was Thursday afternoon and Duo insisted that she should go out with "the girls" for a few hours and away from "the damn computer." Hilde had been wondering whether or not work had made her change. Duo assured her enthusiastically that she was beautiful, playful, and frazzled by stress. Hilde arched her eyebrow at his sarcasm and reluctantly admitted that she was very tired of playing cat and mouse with PAGE. Duo couldn't agree more. So with some nudging and several phone calls to Catherine and Relena, Hilde found herself relaxing. And away from the computer.
Relena glanced over at Hilde. Hilde turned to Catherine. Hilde had decided that she need to take her mind off of PAGE for a few hours. She had seemingly picked her brain clean trying to find some type of weakness in the system to no avail. Duo saw her cheerful nature getting stifled by her frustration. She took his suggestion to relax and clear her mind before continuing her hacking.
Relena was also being bombarded with various trade proposals. Heero was concerned for her health and also suggested that she take time off to relax.
Catherine Bloom heard about her friends' needs and suggested a day of pampering. When not on the road performing under the big top, she regularly went to a health spa to rejuvenate herself for another season of performing.
Hilde sighed as her masseuse rubbed her wearied back. Hours at a computer chair could really stress the muscles. Also her kick boxing workout tired her out as well. It was the first serious workout in weeks and her body was readjusting to the exertion. "I'm glad I came here," Hilde said with a smile.
Catherine sat up after her massage was done. "It feels greats to get all your kinks out and get pampered."
Relena had her eyes closed as her masseuse rubbed her temples and the back of her head. "This makes you feel like a queen."
Hilde smirked as she glanced at Relena. "I'm sure you'd know about that, Relena."
A round of laughter erupted. Hilde's eyes sparkled with amusement and joy. Relena opened her eyes as she asked, "Are you excited about getting married, Hilde?"
Hilde changed her position as she gave her answer. "Yes. Duo and I found the perfect place. I wanted to wait longer because it's better in the spring weather."
Catherine nodded her head. "The botanical gardens are beautiful. You'll have the wedding of the year!"
Hilde smiled as she sighed happily. She continued the conversation with, "I'm glad I have friends like you. Duo's great, but I need some girlfriends to help me sometimes."
"Is something wrong?" Catherine moved closer to Hilde.
Hilde ran her hand through her short locks. "It's not with Duo. It has to do with PAGE. I still can't do it. I haven't been able to crack their wall."
Relena gently touched the German girl's shoulder. "You'll figure it out. You're a smart girl, and you'll find a way."
Hilde sighed, "I sure hope so."

*****

Five days later…

Une frowned as she stared out the windows of her office. She gazed intently at the buildings filled with everyday people working. They were all struggling to live their lives to the best of their ability. Une knew every little victory would make the world better. It was this belief that shehad always lived. Even before she worked under Treize, she was living her life under that principle. Knowing him had strengthened her purpose.
Une was understandably displeased with the file she had finished reading on her desk. It was a file from a state psychiatric hospital for a patient named Marguerite Svatva. Une had thanked Dorothy for her assistance. Dorothy was instrumental in the situation with PAGE and Dr. Linner. She had valuable information that the late Duke Dermail had tabulated over the years prior to his death. Unfortunately, Dorothy never knew what specific information her grandfather had been privy to. She knew very general things. As a leading member of Romefeller, he had gathered all sorts of personal data about the members as "insurance."
The information included various requests made by a Count Jannes. He had been interested in the work of Dr. Linner since he published his "Theorem on Newtype Factors." There appeared to be many financial transactions and other movements of the Count's funds. After exhaustive research, Une found herself calling Sector FK-231 State Psychiatric hospital.
Une made use of her position title and found what she was looking for. It wasn't quite what she had expected. She immediately had files transferred to her office. She called a staff meeting with everyone present. The information was rather shocking and would change how this case would be handled.
It was an hour later that the meeting began. "So, what's the big news boss?" asked Duo.
She quickly handed out copies of the file for everyone. "This girl is named Marguerite Svatva. She's a Russian national that was sent to Sector FK-231 nearly 10 years ago. She was under psychiatric observation before being committed permanently in the same hospital."
Everyone skimmed the first few pages as Une summarized the information. They followed along as she spoke. "She was diagnosed with severe paranoia and hallucinations. She was separated from her parents. The parents disappeared."
"Disappeared?" Duo arched an eyebrow.
Quatre frowned, "How do two people simply disappear? Without a trace?"
Une nodded her head. "They were listed as missing persons a few months after their daughter was committed."
"So how does this poor girl fit into PAGE and Linner?" asked Noin.
Une cleared her throat. "During the period when UESA existed, military officials were in charge of various UESA-run institutions, including the psychiatric hospitals."
Sally continued, "So you're saying that maybe the warden of this hospital admitted a girl that might not have been mentally disturbed?"
Une nodded. "That's what my research has suggested. Count Jannes was the head of FK-231. His masters degree in psychology was just a formality to get him the position. I have found out some other pieces of information that are rather shocking."
"Oh boy…" Duo gulped.
Une ignored Duo's reaction. "Records showed that after she was committed, he had special quarters set up for her. There were many unusual specifications for her that were made."
Heero flipped through the said records and he read them aloud, "high-energy force fields… specialized collars?"
"What the hell?" Duo replied with amazement.
"That's what I'd like to know as well. What sort of abomination was this count doing to someone weaker than him?" glared Wufei.
"That just the thing. There aren't any official records of it. Which is why I need some help to look into this further. Zechs, Noin, and Quatre are the only three not already preoccupied with this case."
Quatre nodded. "I think I'll take this one. My business affairs can be taken care of without me."
Une thought for a moment. "Actually, I'd rather have Noin and Zechs on that one."
"Ma'am?" Quatre was puzzled.
"I'd like you to talk to Marguerite. With the end of the war, Marguerite was deemed mentally sound and released. She was last seen in Paris."

*****

Paris, two days later…

Quatre quietly and casually observed the artwork in the Lourvre. The exhibits displayed rare works of art that dated back nearly 4 millennium in the past. From Egyptian artifacts, to pieces from just shortly before UESA's formation. During and after UESA's existence was considered modern art, and not prominently displayed there.
Quatre had heard that Marguerite often came to the museum at that hour of the day. He soon found a painting that was rather unique. It was in the Middle Ages. A lady wearing a red-orange cloak stared at herself in a small hand mirror. He was gazing at the painting when a voice interrupted his thoughts. "Like the painting?"
Quatre turned around to see a dark-haired girl about his age behind him. She had a Russian accent. "Yes, I like it."
"It has a lot of say. People aren't as they appear, are they Mr. Winner?"
Quatre's eyes widened. "How did you know…"
"I knew you were coming. You're more than you appear to be."
Quatre was really getting nervous. "You're Marguerite."
"I hope that you find me sane."
"You appear to be so."
Marguerite stared into his blue eyes. "Yes… you are who I thought you are." She gently touched his face. "You're one of us too. Uh!" she gasped and he caught her as she fell towards him.
"Miss Svatva?" he was frightened as she started twitching and gasping. He could see she was having an epileptic seizure. He recalled reading about her medical history. She was diagnosed with epilepsy as an infant.
"So much darkness…" she stuttered in his arms. "It's so dark… so angry…" she gasped again as the twitching subsided.
Quatre started to calm down as her episode stopped. "Can I get you some water, Miss Svatva?"
Her eyes were wild still from the fit. She stared fiercely into his eyes. "Your friends will be in danger."
Quatre was getting nervous again. "What… how?"
Marguerite slowly stood up. "Don't hurt me." She started cowering from him.
"I won't hurt you." He slowly reached a hand towards her.
She touched his and she jolted slightly. She stared at him again. "You are like me. I thought so…"
"Like you?" he was confused again.
"Yes… a Newtype. Like me…"

Next time: Holy Newtypes Batman! Er.. wrong show… ^_^;;; Next time. Find out what Marguerite is talking about. Some more on our other characters. I hope that you'll enjoy next part! Phase 05-Recollections