Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Phases of Memory ❯ Recollections ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, or the characters from Gundam Wing. Never had and never will either. I do own the minor characters and non-GW people.

You should know the warnings and stuff by now. And here's a shout-out to my beta, Midii Une. Without her… well, this story wouldn't be as good as it could be.

Gundam Wing: Phases of Memory
Phase 05- Recollections
By Sailor Celaeno

"A Newtype?" Quatre stuttered. "What do you mean?"
Marguerite looked intently at him. "Don't you feel your power? You're like me. You're different from Duo and the others. You have powers like I do. Don't you see? You can feel the pain and the suffering of others. Your heart is beautiful because it can feel and bring compassion to others that need it most."
Quatre had never thought that his empathy for other people was a sign of his power. He always thought that it was simply a part of his personality. Could what she said be true? Could his empathy really be a form of Newtype power? "How can you be so sure that it's a power, like yours?"
Marguerite was pacing a few moments as he spoke. "How could they be anything else? How could you sense when your friends were in danger? How could you feel Heero's pain, when he was injured."
Quatre thought for a moment. "If I'm a Newtype, then where did we come from? More importantly, why were you sent to the hospital?"
Marguerite said quietly, "Because of my powers."

*****

Relena was giving a speech at Colony J19482 on the new trade treaty that the colony and ESUN had agreed to. Reporters were asking many questions and taking several pictures. Heero was at his usual spot near her.
"Miss Dorlian! Miss Dorlian! What is your opinion on genetic research?" shouted a reporter. Soon everyone looked eagerly for her answer.
Relena cleared her throat. "I believe that any form of technology should be used with responsibility to minimize any negative consequences that may result. Genetic manipulation isn't something that is clearly moral OR immoral. Rather it is a process. Any and all discoveries made should be responsibly used and not to gain power over or harm others or in anyway exploit anyone or anything."

*****

"So Miss Relena Dorlian… you're of that opinion are you? Where were you when I needed you? Well I'm going to make sure that they use their technology properly in the future…" Kelly whispered to herself as she watched the press conference.

*****

AC 187

Maria had only wanted something better for her daughter. This was the last move she hoped. Back home to Earth. She had changed their names again. She was now Marlena Thomas. Cass was Cassidy Thomas, just so it wouldn't be too drastic a change for her daughter. "Cass! Lunch is ready!"
Cassandra ran into the kitchen. She took her place at the table and saw that they were having macaroni and cheese. She had her hair tied in pigtails. She had the feeling that her mother wasn't happy about something and she knew it. "What's the matter Mama?"
"Remember that night you had a nightmare. You thought it was the bogeyman in the closet trying to get you. Remember that baby?"
Cass nodded. "Yes. You said that the bogeyman was in my mind and that he would go when I stopped believing in him."
Maria looked at her daughter. "I was wrong Cassie-baby. There is a bogeyman. He doesn't live in closets, or under your bed. But he's always watching us. He is waiting for us."
Cass should have felt frightened at the cryptic words, but a deep strong voice within herself told her that her mother was right. There was a bogeyman looking for them. Waiting for the chance to catch her. "It's because of my powers, right?"
Maria hated seeing her daughter so young and knowing so much about the truth. "I'm afraid so Cass. That's why we run baby. We can't stay or else he'll catch us one day. He'll catch us and then you'll be taken away from me."
Cass couldn't bear the idea of being parted from her mother. Mother was life for Cass it would lead to all sorts of chaos for her. Cass hated her powers. She was very young when she could teleport. Then she began hearing voices. They whispered all sorts of things to her and showed her things. The most common thing she would see was a sad young girl being picked on. She was lonely and sad like her too. The girl had a feeling that was evening stronger than her own bouts of melancholy. This girl felt hate. A burning hate that was welling up deep inside. Cass was frightened of this girl, but soon the hateful feelings were no longer so frightening.
Cass finally got the courage to ask her mother. "Who is Hikari?"
Maria froze for a minute. "Hikari…" she dropped the spoons she was drying. The spoons clattered in the silent room. Maria was still dazed for a minute before she bent down to pick them up.
Cass frowned. She knew the girl's name from one very memorable vision. In the vision, the girl said, "I'm Hikari, will you play with me?" As Hikari reached out her hand, the vision ended.
Maria turned around and faced her daughter. "Hikari is no one. Just a figment of your imagination."
"Like the bogeyman?"
Maria became silent again.

*****

Cass had to hurry to class that morning. Miss Swiss was having a surprise for class that day and she couldn't be late. As she turned the bend, she slowed down as she heard a voice.
"So Maria came back to Earth, did she?"
"Seems like it. Desperate move."
Cass gasped. "It's the bogeymen…" She turned to race the other direction, when two men approached her.
"It's the girl!" They walked faster towards her.
With a sharp turn she raced towards her school. Her heart was beating faster as her feet pounded on the concrete pavement. "Please, someone help me!" she could only scream in her head. Almost instantaneously, she felt a great surge of energy. With a flash she vanished from the street.

*****

When the energy faded, Cass found herself at the front steps of her house, where she had just left 10 minutes earlier. She ran into the house screaming for her mother. She started a hasty narrative. Maria grabbed her emergency purse with every document they would need. Before another 10 minutes passed, Maria clutched her daughter tightly. "Teleport!"
"What?!" Cass was very confused and frightened after seeing the actual men that she and Maria had always been running from.
"Do it! You know how to. I know you do baby. We must hurry, or they'll find you. Just do it!"
Cass shook with her mother's emphatic shouting. She felt the energy again. It was strong and warm and before she knew it, she was not in their house anymore. "I did it…"
Maria didn't answer. She merely looked around them and saw they were all alone. It was a parking lot at the local mall. Maria was desperate. She realized that Cass was only 8 and hadn't been able to focus her teleportation to specific places, with the exception of their house. Maria had to make do with what she could. She soon spied a red jeep nearby. Maria knew what she had to do. In two minutes, Maria had picked the door lock, and hotwired the car. Maria and Cass would drive as far as the car could carry them.

*****

Maria tugged on her daughter to pull her along faster. "Hurry! Hurry!"
"I… I can't Mama…" Cass panted as the two Taylors were running through the alley. Maria couldn't believe the awful luck. The car ran out of gas and they resorted to running on foot.
"You have to baby. We don't have a choice."
As they scurried through the street maze, a warehouse loomed nearby and they quickly ran inside. Both tried to keep quiet as they could hear their pursuers not too far behind. "Just where are they?" growled one man.
"I thought they ran in there," replied the other man.
"An oil refinery? Damn… look you watch your gun. We don't need to have an explosion on our hands."
They cautiously entered the factory. "All right Maria! We know you're in here, so come out with the girl and hand her over." They spread out to search more carefully. "The girl stopped being your kid the day she was born. She's UESA property."
"Aha!" shouted the second man as he aimed the gun at Maria.
She pulled Cass and they ran. The man began firing. "Jackass! I told you not to shoot in here!"
They raced all over the refinery narrowly dodging the men. Cass pulled out the gun that Andie had given to her. She knew it was risky, but there was no alternative. She got cover and fired her gun. She managed to hit one before she was fired on again. During the weapons exchange, a bullet caused a spark near a vat of oil. The smoke soon filled the air.
"Cass! Get out! Now!" shouted Maria. The men had already turned around and ran out.
"I won't leave without you!"
"Go now! If you don't then…" Maria aimed her gun at Cass. "I'll kill you."
"What?!!"
"You heard me! I'd rather kill you than have you be captured. You're too valuable to Linner and his benefactor. But you're worthless when you're dead."
"AH!" shrieked Cass as she saw her mother cock the gun. A strange sensation overwhelmed her again.
When she was conscious of what was happening again, she was outside and could see the refinery bursting into flames. The building burned and cracked with loud pangs of noise and heat. Cass couldn't feel her mother's energy like she use to. But she felt another energy. She felt Hikari. She could feel Hikari's hate. That hate was the most comforting feeling that she could have right then and there.

*****

AC 198-Paris

"Your powers. What are they exactly?"
"When I touch people or things, sometimes I get visions." Marguerite gestured for Quatre to follow her for a walk around the nearly empty museum. I was very young when the visions began to happen. Back in the village I came from, I could predict everything from…" her eyes began to twinkle mirthfully. "… the best time to harvest… to death." She was quiet for a few moments before she continued. "Soon word went around that I was a real psychic. That I was a fortune-teller. The next thing I know, I began having very dark visions."
"Dark visions?" Quatre shuddered at their implication.
"I had a great feeling of dread for myself. I would have visions of other children that were different, like I was. When I saw these other children, I knew I never had to worry about being the only one who was different. But there was one girl that frightened me."
Quatre frowned. "A girl?"
"Yes… She had dark hair, and her eyes were feral. She would always be unhappy. She could sense me, like I could sense her."
"How did you know?"
"She stared straight at me one time. She knew I was there. But her hate was so strong."
Quatre was saddened. "There was a little girl filled with so much hate? How could that happen?"
Marguerite shook her head. "I couldn't tell, but I knew that she was dangerous. Her power was very strong. That also frightened me that such an angry child could have so much power."
Quatre's suddenly clicked. "Wait a minute…"
"What is it?"
"When were you born?"
"In AC 177."
Quatre thought for a moment. "When did you start seeing that angry girl?"
"I think I was eleven at the time. Why?"
"I think I know who you saw." Quatre sighed. "And you were right. She's dangerous. Or was…"

*****

Preventers Headquarters-two days later

"What do you have to report?"
Hilde and Duo looked at each other before turning to Une. "Not much I'm afraid. Their system is difficult to crack." Hilde's frustration was written all over her face.
Une nodded understandingly. Hilde and Duo were working hard trying locate PAGE's head quarters. She looked towards Wufei and Sally. "What about the security for the awards?"
"I don't think it could be more secure than it is already," replied Sally.
"We're still completing the background checks on everyone working on the awards ceremony," replied Wufei.
Une made notes. "Trowa?"
"I'm keeping a close eye on Linner. I'm still looking for more information on the good doctor."
Quatre was next. "It seems that Marguerite and several children like her were being detained because they've developed powers. She made claims that I'm a Newtype like her."
Duo looked incredulously at him. "How could you be one? Wouldn't they have taken you away from your family like those poor kids were?"
Quatre nodded. "That's what I thought too. But I realized a few things. When she told me how it was to have those powers, I understood what she felt. That's my power, Duo. My empathy towards people is my power. But my empathy is stronger than most people. I can feel people's pain and misery. I can feel the hurt in their hearts."
Heero nodded his head. He knew that Quatre was different. That Quatre seemed to know so much about things. Trowa knew it too. Everyone could see his point. "But that doesn't explain why UESA didn't try to take you Quatre."
"There is a reason."
"Care to share?" asked Noin.
"Dr. Linner wasn't the doctor that created me."
Wufei glowered. Sally frowned. "This is only conjecture, but this does suggest…"
"This doc is seriously messed up. He's create all these kids with powers, but why?" exclaimed Duo.
Quatre shook his head. "That's just it. I don't know. Only Linner would know that answer, but I seriously doubt he'll tell you."
"We may spend hours speculating, but there's no evidence for us to charge him with anything other than illegal usage of human beings for experimentation. That kind of conviction would simply strip him of his medical license and earn him only a few years in prison. Otherwise, we have can't do anything to him," replied Une. She was also frustrated because they really had no way to accuse him of the most serious crimes as of yet.
"Damn… we can't touch him," growled Duo.
"This guy should pay for the misery he's caused to those Newtypes he created and their families," added Hilde.
"Sounds like we should just let PAGE do whatever they want with him," smirked Wufei.
Une sighed. "We still have an obligation to ensure his safety in spite our feelings about his unethical practices. We can't be the ones that decide on what is justice and what isn't. We're here to make sure it is served."
Everyone reluctantly agreed with Une on that point. Zechs and Noin reported on their findings. "Quite frankly, I'm smelling a heavy-handed conspiracy of an extreme degree with kids like Marguerite," began Zechs.
"Hn…" was Une's reply.
"There were different procedures subjected on these 'delusional adolescents.' There were shock therapy and mind-controlling drugs used. Others were restrained. These children were being controlled and trained for something," was Noin's conclusion.
Quatre frowned. "Linner was creating Newtypes… It's possible that if the UESA had Newtype soldiers, their control over the colonies could have been even tighter than it was."
"That would have changed history. We wouldn't be sitting in this room together," added Heero.
"How would these Newtypes have been used?" asked Trowa.
"Well Newtypes like Marguerite had premonitions and visions. Logistically, people like her could be used for strategic planning and even as MS pilots. If a Newtype like her had been flying in a really good MS like…"
"A gundam?" asked Zechs, Eypon's former pilot.
Quatre nodded. "Assuming Marguerite was an excellent pilot, and she had access to Tallgeese or even Epyon, she would have had the potential to defeat everyone of us. Even if we used the Zero system we'd never stand a chance."
Trowa nodded. "Her power would allow her to predict her opponents even more accurately than the Zero system since she can see with absolute certainty what her opponent will do."
"With that sort of possibility, we'll need to find out more about the truth," replied Une.

Next time: And so our story will continue. Now that our heroes know what's at stake, how will they find out the truth? Coming up next time, Nichola and Trowa meet, Liam Debinder-Pryde will finally make an appearance in the story, and more! Phase 06-Degrees of Happiness