Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Raptures of Paradise ❯ It Happened By Chance ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Well, hope you like this, and this wets your appetite for the WHOLE story. Note,
I'm obviously a Non-Yaoi writer, and a person who tends to write sappy stories,
so if you don't like this kind of story, then GET OUT NOW!!! Now, enjoy.

Gundam Wing: Raptures of Paradise
Chapter 7----------It Happened By Chance
By Sailor Celaeno

Quatre had been invited to a banquet that night. He was eager to attend. He was waiting for the celebration to begin. He was dressed in his best tuxedo with a red cummerbund and his usual, cheerful smile. He entered the reserved ballroom that was in the hotel he was staying at. There were many men that were more than twice his age. There weren't too many 16-year-old multi-millionaires around. But, the quick succession of his reign as head of the Winner family made him an even more mature, young man. He had his family name at stake and he had to make sure that the Winner family still had reason to be proud of their tradition of humanitarianism and philanthropy.
He walked through the fairly crowded room. There were many men and their wives, while he was the only one without a date. "Mr. Winner," called a voice.
Quatre turned around to see a fifty-something gentleman with a younger woman on his arm. "Oh hello." Quatre recognized the man as Mr. Debinder, a former business associate of his father's. "How have you been sir?"
"Very well, young Quatre. I'm glad to see you have done quite well for your family. How are your many lovely sisters?" Mr. Debinder said with an annoying tone of voice. It was clear he only pretended to be polite to Quatre.
Quatre had sensed and had always known about Debinder's insincerity, but etiquette and rules of business forbade him to out rightly insult the superficial businessman. "Very well. Especially Iria."
"Ah yes, I have heard that your sister has had the great fortune of receiving a fellowship to do research work for the Pleiades Corporation," Debinder said in a strained, but polite manner. He had the look on his face that said, 'Before or after you agreed to invest in the company?' Houston Debinder, his son, was a talented research biologist that was also seeking a fellowship that was awarded to Iria.
Quatre immediately recognized the look. He soon had a look of 'God, get me out of this wretched man!' He casually smiled and said, "We are all proud of her. I have no doubt that she will achieve great things within Pleiades."
"Of course. I hope you still remember my daughter, Esmeralda." He presented the dark-haired beauty with the sharp, green eyes. Quatre had to admit that Esmeralda was beautiful, but he remembered her too well.

Quatre was seven when he first met Esmeralda Debinder. Esmeralda was nine and she still looked the same, but she was less enchanting. "My name is Quatre." Even as a child, he was a very polite, and a rather chivalrous boy. Iria was fifteen and was watching her brother from a distance.
"I'm Esmeralda. You may call me Emsie."
"Emsie? All right, Emsie. Do you want to see our garden? It has pretty flowers my sisters like."
"Really? Oh, do show me! I want to see them. They must be pretty." Esmeralda had shown a great interest in Quatre's sisters and how pretty they all were.
Quatre nodded when suddenly, she held his hand. He looked so shocked. He remembered seeing his sister, Nisreen, holding hands with her boyfriend in a similar way. He kind of blushed when he felt that soft, warm hand in his. "I... um... they are this way." He closed his hand over hers and led her to the garden.
Quatre was twelve and Esmeralda had turned fourteen. Quatre thought she was very pretty and Esmeralda seem to feel very strongly for him. "Esmeralda, I'm glad to see you."
Esmeralda had a starry-eyed look on her face. "Oh, Quatre." She was practically on top of him, she was so close. "I've been waiting to do this." She quickly and promptly planted a tender kiss on his mouth that was already open from the surprise of her standing so close to her.
She parted from him. He was absolutely flushed. 'I can't believe she just kissed me!' He thought gleefully to himself. "Wow," was all he could say.
It was another month when Esmeralda broke his heart. He watched with shock as she kissed another boy. He immediately found the time to talk to her in private. "Who was that you kissed?" he had an angry look on his face.
"My boyfriend," she said simply. She was unfazed as Quatre turned downtrodden.
"Your boyfriend?" He stared at her with a look of absolute defeat on his face.
"Yes, Quatre. I have a boyfriend. I've been with him for a couple of weeks. I'm sorry that the kiss I gave you the wrong impression. I wanted to see what it was like to really kiss a boy. I had a huge crush on him," referring to her boyfriend.
"I see." Quatre simply walked away. Then Esmeralda left for school on Earth when Debinder learned that her boyfriend was older than her. She had left and hardly said a word to him.

And now four years later, she comes back into his life. Though she was very beautiful, she had changed a lot. True, he changed himself, but the change in her was just as difficult and difficult on her as anything that he experienced. There was that look in her eyes that said all those things. In spite of how she toyed with his feelings, he still felt sorry for her. He could almost feel the bitterness of Life that she felt inside. "Hello Quatre," her voice purred.
"Hello, Emsie." He was as cordial as before.
"I'll leave you two alone." Debinder left his daughter with Quatre. He became intently immersed within a conversation that consisted of several other wealthy investors several yards away. Quatre and Esmeralda were all alone.
"I see you have done rather well. I also heard about what you did in the Eve War," said Esmeralda with her charming voice.
"You have? Well, I hope you haven't changed your opinion of me in any way." Quatre still considered her a dear friend. He wanted it to stay that way if he could.
"Change my opinion? Lord knows, nothing will ever make me change the way I feel about you Quatre," she had that sorrowful look on her face.
"What's wrong?" Quatre always had that sixth sense that made him very aware of others' feelings. "Emsie, don't try to hide anything from me. It may have been eight years, but I know when something is wrong with someone."
"Don't ask me please. I would rather not talk about it. I can only say that I know suffering as you do. Don't expect me say any more." She lightly touched the underside of his chin. "I don't want you to think ill of me. What I have done was bad and wrong. I would rather have those things behind me."
"Emsie?" Quatre was very worried about her now. She was very sad and depressed behind the beautiful dress and shining jewelry.
"Let's not talk of the past. It's too unpleasant for such a wonderful occasion. What have you been planning on doing in the future?" Esmeralda had that happy glow again on her face.
"Well, I'm just planning on taking care of the family business."
"Are you getting married? Have a girlfriend?"
Quatre blushed slightly at the question. "A girlfriend? Well, I don't have one. I'm completely single."
Esmeralda seemed to have a look of great intrigue on her face. She seemed particularly interested that Quatre was completely free and available. "I was just curious. You must be one of the most eligible bachelor's in the galaxy."
Quatre reddened at the idea of hundreds of girls being after him. "Well, I haven't exactly been chased after or anything."
"I can only hope that you will think of me."
Quatre was about to speak when a something caught his eyes. "I don't believe it!" he exclaimed. He quickly stood up.
"What?" she turned around. She quickly saw what Quatre had seen. A tall, blond woman with an attractive sky-blue dress had entered the room. She walked past the group that her father was talking to in order to get a glass of champagne. Her face was filled with disappointment as she saw the look on Quatre's face.
"I'm sorry Emsie. I have to say hello to someone."
"Of course." Quatre walked away. Esmeralda quickly saw him talking to the blond girl. She barely spoke to him that night again.

Dorothy had arrived just an hour earlier and quickly dressed for the dinner. She felt awkward being the only woman who was without a date, but she didn't care at that point. What mattered was that she was able to meet Miss Rokureno, a friend of hers. Miss Rokureno was an old schoolmate when they were little girls. Now Nova was a famous businesswoman of great ability. She quickly made her way to the bar to order a glass of champagne. Suddenly, she felt a tap at her shoulder. She quickly turned to see a pair of warm, blue eyes, and a shimmer of golden blond hair. She couldn't help, but look a little uncomfortable when she saw him. "Hello, Miss Catalonia."
"Hello, Mr. Winner."
"Funny meeting you here."
Dorothy managed to hide the discomfort and gather her composure. "Yes. A bit strange."
"I didn't know you were an investor."
"Well, I'm more than just an investor. Miss Rokureno and I are friends from a while back." She looked down at her glass for a moment. She looked up to see Quatre with a look of surprise.
"Really? I would love to meet her. Just today, I met Dr. Meioh."
"Trista? Oh, yes. She told me she had a meeting today. Didn't say whom though..." she trailed.
"You seem to have connections."
Dorothy had to smile at that. "Yes. I suppose I do. I suppose there is a lot you don't know about me." Dorothy had that air of mystery that intrigued Quatre. It was like Esmeralda.
"Quatre?" Esmeralda called.
"Yes?" He turned to talk to her.
"Father and I are going to be at table 7, right near your table."
"Okay." Then he turned to see that Dorothy was no longer there. He glanced around the room to catch her going to the balcony. He expertly maneuvered around the room to reach the door. He looked around to see the blue dress fluttering slightly in a small breeze. "Dorothy?" he said gently.
She turned and gasped at the sound. "Quatre?" She had a softer voice now, which was gentle when she spoke his name.
"What are you doing out here?" he asked. He had concern on his face as he saw how discomposed she was looking. He walked closer to her and she seemed to be drawing back a little. "What's the matter?"
She kept creeping back until she hit the railing. "I just..." Her lips quivered a little. "This is it." She turned away from him. She stared into the lights of the city around them.
"What's wrong?" He soon stood right behind her and gently he touched her shoulder. He could feel her quiver at his touch. He had a warm hand on her shoulder that was filled with life, while she was cold and pale to the touch. He could see how pathetic she looked at that moment.
A tiny voice could be heard from her. "I was just hoping... that I couldn't have to see you. Not so soon," she said in a soft voice.
"Why? What could be the problem? Have I hurt you somehow?"
She immediately turned around to face him. "No," she said plainly and clearly. She had a little smile to reassure him. "You have not harmed me. You have done more to save me than I can ever believe." She looked straight into his eyes.
Quatre stared back incredulously. "I have? I don't know if I deserve such credit." He was as modest as he usually was.
"No. It is true. I think back on that day in Libra. I can't help it. I just think about what you said to me. I see, that I was wrong. I have always been wrong. I just want to thank you for making me realize what I have done wrong. I see now that there is so much that I have believed in had been false. Lies that I allowed myself to believe."
Quatre had to interject. "I don't quite understand Dorothy."
"Of course not." She began to pace a little as she moved away from him. "For just a few brief moments, I could feel and hear the certainty, the conviction of your beliefs. You had no doubts that what you did was for the right thing. You had no qualms that what you were doing was to save people. To make the world better for the sake of peace." She wiped a tear away. "I have lost my faith in my own beliefs. All those ideas that I had floating in my head for so long were no longer so clear, so strong any more. They were weak, principles." She continued her walk as Quatre leaned against the railing.
"Dorothy? You have changed so much."
"You still care for what I have to say?" She had a smile with twinkling eyes from hidden emotions. "You believe in what I have just said to you?" She had to ask.
Quatre gave her his charming smile. "Yes, Dorothy Catalonia. I have forgiven you." He stared at where she had stabbed him. "I have moved past all that." He looked up at her.
She sighed in relief. "It's funny. I can still remember that moment. You were telling me how violence wasn't the absolute answer. I suppose it isn't an absolute answer. I won't deny that conflict is inevitable."
Quatre frowned slightly, but then he perked up again. "No. Conflict is only inevitable if there is no one who will try to reason." It was his turn to stare into the city nightlife. "I have always believed that strength comes not from the ability to fight, but the ability to say 'I won't fight'."
"Ever the optimist," smiled Dorothy.
"Ever the critic."
"I won't say that I see eye to eye with you, but....."
"But?"
"But I believe that we could come to an understanding." She walked to stand next to Quatre. "I just wish that I realized it sooner." A couple of tears flowed down her cheeks.
Quatre turned to see her. "You're crying?"
Dorothy had stopped walking and looked towards him. "I know. Never in a million years would the old Dorothy ever cry for anything." She laughed at herself a little. She breathed a little as she wiped away her tears. "Yes, Quatre Raberba Winner. You have done something that no other person would ever have been able to do. You tamed Dorothy Catalonia." She had another look on her face.
Quatre noticed and was uncertain about what to do. "Um... Dorothy?" She had proceeded to lean towards him. She then proceeded to give a light kiss on his cheek. He was a little warm from the slight embarrassment.
"I just wanted you to know how grateful I really am, and that I'm sorry for what I did to you." She had a hopeful countenance.
Quatre smiled back at her. "You're welcome, Miss Dorothy."
"I appreciate that." She started to walk away from him. "More than you'll ever know."
He suddenly didn't want to leave her side. He had the desire to be by her side that night. "Wait!"
She turned around immediately at his call. "Yes?"
"Would you like to sit with me at the dinner table? I mean... that is to say... if you don't have another place to sit at..." he stuttered.
Dorothy felt a little honored to see how much she was affecting Quatre. She smiled at the offer. "Yes. I think I will." He walked to her side again and took her arm. She was escorted back into the ballroom where they were never apart the rest of the evening.

Quatre woke up the next morning at nine. He had two more days of freedom before he had to return back to business. As he entered the lobby, she saw a slimmer of blond hair in the sitting area. A smile crept his face as he walked over to the young lady that had been waiting for him. "Good morning, Dorothy."
"Good-morning Quatre." She had a friendly smile on her face. "I was hoping to see you again." She had stood up to face him.
"Really?" He was very touched at the sentiment.
"I just wanted to thank you for last night. I didn't feel so very lonely."
Quatre seemed a little disappointed that that was all she wanted to say. "Uh... no trouble at all." He lightly ran his hand through his hair.
"Oh, yes. Also, Miss Rokureno wanted me to invite you to brunch."
"Really?"
"Yes. She wanted to apologize for not inviting you herself, but she has a meeting and will be joining us at the restaurant. Shall we?"
"Of course." They left the hotel and were soon in a limo that Dorothy had rented to bring her to the hotel.
"I don't suppose you have any other plans," she looked at him. It was the same look she gave him when she kissed him last night.
He reddened a little at the memory. "Um, no actually. I've never been here before so I don't know too many places around here."
"Well, I could show you around." She had a sly smile on her face.
Quatre felt a little warm all of a sudden. "Um..." he gulped air. "You could?" He squeaked a little.
Dorothy, who had been sitting opposite him, moved to the seat next to him. "Of, course. No trouble at all." She lightly touched the side of his face with her hand. "No trouble at all." She leaned in for the kill.
Quatre found his mouth massaged by her lips. Their mouths opened as their kiss got more passionate. He couldn't help but think that the kiss was rather good and that he'd like to enjoy it more. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and she did the same. After a few moments, he felt her quivering a little. He reluctantly parted from her. "Are you all right?" He looked at her with concern. He saw that her eyes were closed.
She opened her eyes and batted her eyes a little. "No." She kneeled on her seat. He shifted his position to face her more directly. "I'm not alright. I feel better than I've ever felt before. I've always wondered what it was like to kiss someone. To really kiss someone." She faced him.
"How was it?" he was relieved that she was all right.
She began playing with his bangs. "I thought it pretty good." They leaned towards each other and enjoyed another kiss before the limo stopped.

They sat at the table and a woman with black hair and silvery highlights arrived. "Novie!" Dorothy stood up and went to hug her friend.
"Dorothy!" The old friends chattered and giggled. Quatre was very amused at the scene Dorothy being so bubbly.
"Oh gosh. Here's Quatre." Quatre stood up and shook Nova's hand. "Quatre, Miss Nova Rokureno."
"Hello Quatre." Nova was still giggling from a moment ago. "It's nice to meet Dorothy's boyfriend." Nova burst out laughing, her mind still on their greeting just a few moments ago.
Quatre and Dorothy were blushing at the comment. "Nova! Stop!" She laughed nervously at Quatre. They all sat down and began ordering. "So who were you talking to this morning?" Dorothy asked as she began drinking her glass of water.
"Just another meeting with one of my top scientists." She stirred her tea until it cooled. "So Quatre, have you been to Pluto yet?" asked Nova. The salads they ordered were just arriving.
"I'd love to go some time."
"Well, if you're free next week, then I can personally show you the corporation facilities."
"I'm sure I'll be able to."
Quatre and Dorothy finished brunch with Nova by 10:20. Nova left for Pluto again. Quatre and Dorothy made plans to be alone that evening. And to think, their meeting at the ball... it all happened by chance.

Esmeralda entered the darkened room. "You wanted to speak to me?"
"Yes. I'm disappointed Esmeralda. I would have thought that you could have secured a place with the Winner family," said Avatar.
"I'm sorry Avatar. I had interference."
"I'm not surprised. We have been planning this for months, and a few of my other agents have also failed. Someone is working against us."
"How is that possible?"
"Tempest had warned me that there were those that are aware of her presence in this universe."
"In this universe?"
"Tempest is a powerful being from an alternate universe. We have a plan to conquer Earth and ALL the colonies. Once this universe is under the control of the Negaforce, the other universes will fall. However, this is not going to be easy. I am personally responsible for the fate of this grand plan. She has already reprimanded me for not gathering enough energy. We need more."
"But how? What sort of energy does she want? asked Esmeralda.
"It is VERY precious energy. The power of the human heart is what she needs. Every time we eliminate targets, we are providing her with the energy from their hearts."
"You mean, you plan to kill Quatre?"
"He is an excellent prize. Unless you can find a worthier victim to take his place."
"What about Dorothy Catalonia?"
"That Catalonia girl?"
"Yes."
"Unacceptable. Despite the possibilities, her heart isn't as good enough."
Esmeralda was greatly disappointed. That is until another thought occurred to her. "There is a great summit in two weeks. Many great dignitaries will attend including, Relena Peacecraft and Lady Une."
"Lady Une?" Avatar glared at that name. "Yes. Lady Une. I think that is an excellent plan."
"Oh yes. Convenient for you," a voice said sarcastically.
"Hecate! How that hell did you get here?"
"Same place as you did Avatar."
"Get out of here you bitch!"
"What manners! It's not like you to be SO testy."
"Your attempt to take over this mission will not work. You already failed to defeat Sailor Moon and her senshi. What makes you so certain you'd actually win in this universe?"
"I will enjoy watching you fail." Hecate vanished.
"You know your orders. And so do you?"
Another woman appeared. She had shoulder length blond hair and lifeless eyes. She stood by Esmeralda and they bowed humbly.
Avatar went to her mirror and soon Tempest appeared. "Why did you insist that we free Hecate from the Persephone locket?"
"Hecate would make an excellent ally for you. Besides, we may need her to eliminate more people," Tempest said.
"You mean, the senshi?"
"Yes. Pluto and Celaeno are probably preparing the senshi for their arrival as we speak. Hecate has experience dealing with them. Proserpine has also escaped. She may be a threat to us."
"Of course. No doubt she found a host just as Hecate has."
"Yes. I know. We must eliminate them all."


Author's note:
I want to apologize to anyone who is a yaoi fan, or are anti-Dorothy. Quite frankly I think there is a possibility of Quatre and Dorothy being a couple just as with Quatre and Trowa. Not to mention Dorothy had changed her ways by the end of Gundam Wing, so the way she's acting in this story or any others I write are not so far fetched.

(In a Dee-Dee like voice) OOOOOHHHHH!!!!! What does thiiiiiisssss button do?