Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Rest for the Tortured Soul ❯ Thin Line ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: If you can't protect what you own, you don't own anything. Take that Bandai! Bet you won't go mailing your issues to me!!!


The Truth
Part IV


September 28th 202

It was raining.

The heavens were wrenched apart and, heeding the call of gravity, water poured from the sky.

Droplets fell as fierce tears that plunged deep into the earth, delving in the uttermost part; and become whole once more.

The sound of its progress soothed an observer who stood behind the protection of a glass wall while the sun played an intriguing game of hide and seeks among the billows of dark clouds.

Slender fingers toyed with the teacup in her manicured hands. Raising it a little above her thin lips, she closed her eyes and inhaled the strong scent of sweet herbs deeply. It never ceased to calm and clear her mind. A drowsy expression befell her features, opening her eyes slightly, she continued to watch nature cleanse and replenish itself in her garden. Rain meant two things to this individual, a beautiful sight and…

"Relena," a deep voice disturbed his musing.

A corner of her mouth twitched. There was no need to turn around; she knew whose voice it was. It was as if her mind had conjured him up; though she was well aware that the thought was unrealistic and childish, it was amusing. She sipped her tea, which was still warm, and licked the residue off her unpainted bottom lip.

"Prepare yourself for the end."

Her hands faltered at the blunt unexpected statement, and a small portion of dark liquid escaped from the cup and rolled gently over her fingers, which regained control.

"Not one for pleasantries," she muttered. "You never were."

"Don't be alarmed, you knew it was going to happen eventually."

Adorning her face with a cool expression, she faced him. Her eyes widened as she surveyed his attire. It had an uncanny similarity to that of OZ…

'So he actually did it,' she thought to herself. 'All I need now is another death threat'.

"You are no longer required," he took the safety off his gun, which Relena had not realized he had been holding aimed for her chest. "It's now time for a change."

"That organization…" she whispered more to herself than him. She said boldly, "How does Dorothy's death play into this?"

"That is none of your concern, Relena," he said stiffly.

She squared her chin as she looked defiantly into his eyes. "Are you here to kill me as you promised years before?" her voice did not tremble.

"No," he put away his gun.

Her expression softened, "then why are you here?" she asked gently.

"I felt obliged to warn you before hand," his voice was hard, and as she stared into his brilliant blue eyes, she found no compassion there. "This is goodbye Ms. Peacecraft."

She gaped; her calm countenance was lost and replaced by a potent mixture of confusion and fear. He never addressed with any other name but 'Relena'.

In an attempt to conceal these betraying emotions from his perceptive eyes, she bowed her head as she gently placed her cup on the oak table. It rattled a bit as it made contact with its matching saucer. With free hands, she smoothed imaginary wrinkles from her beige suit, took a deep breath, and looked up.

He was gone.

'Of course he was gone,' a voice sneered in her head. 'Rule number two; when speaking to Heero, never look away'.

In a sigh, she expelled her frustration, confusion, and fear… only to breathe them in again. With a frown, she picked up her cup. Once again, she brought it to her lips and made a sour face. It was insipid and left a bad taste in her mouth. She hated things that were cold.

Lifting her eyes up from the distasteful drink, she resumed her previous stance by the large glass. Her aqua eyes gazing out into the distance, hanging on to the image of an oasis in a dessert of destitution.

It was in that position she stood when it happened…


TBC...


AN: For all those fans who love drama and what others would say *mushy-stuff*. This is the *mushiest* chapter I'll ever write for this story... maybe...