Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Road Not Taken ❯ Part XII ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ROAD NOT TAKEN


Disclaimer: Gundam Wing, I don't own it!


~*~*~

Silent tears began flowing down from Relena's face. If Heero weren't as intuitive as he was, he would never have suspected that there was a heavy stone weighing in her chest. Finally releasing her grip from the doorknob, she began pounding on the door as she resisted any more tears from forming.

"Stop it," she told herself, "You're stronger than this."

"You don't need to hide your emotions from me, Relena." Yuy whispered as he raised a hand and gently supported her back.

"I'm afraid. For both of us." She answered softly as she felt her knees weakening below her. Before she touched the ground, Heero wrapped his arms around her waist and forced her to lean on him. Time seized to exist at that moment. Everything felt so right, so in place with Relena in his protection. Minutes passed until he turned her around to face him. Traces of her tears could still be visible in the darkness.

Now they stood face to face, yet, Relena refused to look at him. She couldn't stand for her lack of strength. How many times has she promised herself not to cry in front of him again? She failed.

He used his right hand and tilted her chin to meet his gaze. As intoxicating as her eyes were to him, he couldn't defy the emotions stirring within himself. So beautiful.

"Relena..." He leaned forward upon chanting her name and cupped her face as he prepared himself to do the one act he could never accomplish with anyone before. She knew what he had intended and froze on the spot.

"No, Heero don't." She claimed, placing both hands on his chest, pushing him back slightly.

"Tell me to stop, Relena." He proclaimed, continuing to lower his lips onto hers. She didn't reply and he knew her response.


< KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK >


Their faces froze only mere inches from each other once the security officer began pounding on the door, the moment was lost between them and they both turned away from each other. Heero stepped three gigantic steps backwards, back into the shadow as the guard hollered,

"Time's up, Miss Darlian."

Without even looking back at Heero, she felt for the knob behind her, stepped back into the light, and closed the door. Despite the guard's confused expression on her face, she walked out of the hall, and left the building, without turning back once. She drove home with the most solemn appearance, reflecting on what had recently transpired with Heero, visualized what almost could have happened if that damn guard had not interrupted them.

"Heero... I didn't have a chance to tell you." Relena said to dead air. The tears ran freely as she sped on the highway, to no particular destination.


~*~*~


"DAMMIT!" He swore. Heero didn't know what he just felt with Relena. Only one thing rang true in his mind, he wanted to kiss her. "Guard!!!!"

"Yeah what is it?" The man yelled from the other end of the cell.

"Vice Foreign Minister left her purse in here!"

Now irritated, the officer yanked at the doorknob and replied, "Hand it over!" Before he could realize what has happening, Yuy bashed him over the head with a mighty force.


~*~*~


"Is he locked up tight now?" The guard with the brown hair asked, as the other guard walked out from the corridor. He simply nodded, tilting his hood further down on his face and walked away from their post. "Hey, where do you think you're going?"

"I have an errand to run." Heero answered as he marched freely out of the building.


~*~*~

SATURDAY

The night of the Embassy Ball. Guests began arriving in varied intervals into the main hall. Elegant gowns and expensive suits engulfed the room where six extravagant chandeliers dropped from the ceiling, illuminating the dreamlike sequence for the evening. Guards were posted at every window and balcony. The former Gundam Pilots, dressed in their black attire stood watch from various corners of the hall.

"This is it!" Duo announced into his electronic earpiece. All the guards that night wore one in order to remain in contact with each other, in case of the need for immediate communication.

"Be cautious when you guys get a visual of Sanchez." Wufei replied, tapping onto the earpiece to transmit a better signal.

"When will Relena come down for her announcement?" Trowa asked quietly, eyeing all the new arrivals.

"Sixteen hundred hours." Quatre answered as he greeted and shook hands with several political delegates.


~*~*~


Relena sat before her mirror, staring at nothing in particular but her emotionless face. Wearing the most graceful sleeveless pearl white gown, accentuated with a sapphire necklace and matching earrings, she sure didn't feel as confident and beautiful as what she saw in the mirror. With her speech in hand, she thought about Heero. Turning to gaze at the clock on the wall, she was prepared to grace the guests with her presence. A slight knock came from the door and she answered it.

"Miss Relena. You mustn't go out there!" Sanchez proclaimed as he blocked her from exiting the green room. He pushed her back into the center of the room and walked in without hesitation, along with a man she has never seen before. The other man closed the door and grinned at her. It was the most frightening face she had ever witnessed.

"Victor! What is the meaning of this? I don't care about the assailant. Let me go!" She said wholeheartedly. "And who is that?" She asked, pointing to the stranger.

"I'm surprised you don't recognize me, my dearest dove." Marcus Mueller responded, licking his lips.

Suddenly, recognition hit her like lightning. "You! You were the one who attacked me that night."

"Give her a golden star. We have a winner." Mueller mocked.

Slowly, she backed away from the two men. However, there was no way to escape for they were blockading the only method of leaving the room. "And you Victor? You're with him?" She asked, sounding shocked and surprised at the same time.

"Of course! I was the one who hired him to kill you. Unfortunately, good help is so hard to find these days. Now, I will finish what I had intended. NOW, Mueller, I want her dead." Sanchez instructed forcefully.

Just then, Relena knew that her previous assailant was the man standing before her and also standing here was the assailant's employer, her trusted bodyguard. How come she couldn't figure it out before it was too late? And now, this was it for her; this will be the end.

TBC...