Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sabotage Backfire: An Apartment? ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sabotage Backfire... An Apartment?
By Andrea Sinisterra
Humor/Romance
PG-13
Standard Disclaimers Apply


Author's note: Sorry for the delay. There are two professors that enjoy torturing me. So it's with this certainty that I tell you: University sucks. Oh, yeah!

If you don't remember what happened in chapter one, click here.


~ ~ ~


Part 2

"Don't be stupid." Heero Yuy's voice was low and lethal, and even though his stance seemed relaxed, his eyes reflected anger and defiance.

"No, you are being stupid. I will not allow it." Milliardo's smile was cool, his eyes set into a hard glare. "In fact, I'm surprised you're even asking."

Heero made a noise that sounded oddly like a snicker. "That's the thing." He smiled, "I'm not asking." He reached for the door to the office. "It's the only solution. This way, she is moving out, and it won't be a threat to her security."

"No, it won't, but it will present a threat to you. Her moving in with you... please don't make me laugh!"

Heero stopped on his way out, eyes narrowed, as he came back to stand in front of Milliardo. "You have no rights over her."

Milliardo made his way around the desk. "I do have a right. Every right, as a matter of fact. It's you who is out of line. And let's face it, Yuy, Relena Peacecraft is way out of your league."

There was an evil glint in his eyes, and a wicked tilt on his lips the moment Heero Yuy smiled, a look that did not go unnoticed by Milliardo. "Think what you want," he said finally. "I know what happens behind her door." Heero smiled triumphantly, and halfway out the door, he turned to regard Milliardo with an arrogant look. "I'll tell her to give you a call, don't worry. And Milliardo, you are stupid... Put that stapler down." Heero shut the door firmly behind him.

Milliardo's eyes narrowed, a cold smile lifting the corners of his lips. "We'll see, Yuy. You have no idea in what you're getting yourself into."

~ ~ ~

The third place she had gone to had almost singed her skin and scorched her clothes. Well, it was not as dramatic as that, but it had been frightening. The building had been gigantic, and that had her doubting, first because she hated heights, and second, because she didn't like buildings with too many apartments. Much less privacy and she liked things close and personal with neighbors. The building, housing 37 floors, had been a wonder of modern design, and technology. Yet, that was the thing; it looked more like a commercial building, rather than a residential one. It offered no comfort, or homey feeling.

When she finally stepped onto the last floor where the model apartment was located, she knew something was wrong. And not just because she was feeling a little dizzy from the vertigo running through her veins all the way up to her brain. She also felt a little embarrased; seeing the tall and handsome Richard Lewis, the RE agent, sent flashbacks of her jumping into his arms. But it was not vertigo or embarrasment that made her uneasy. She felt... apprehensive.

She should have listened to her instincts.

The place was brilliant upon entrance, the white walls, mirrors, and glass gave it a sense of incredible space and light. Even the floors reflected the sun coming from the windows, her high heels clicking against the gray and white onyx marble. They went first to the spacious kitchen, which was furnished in browns and silver, to the impressive stove, and then to the small comfortable looking breakfast table on the corner. The living room was connected to a sitting are, both large, and with French doors opening to a long balcony that ran from one room to the other.

On their way to the master bedroom, they passed a closed door on the hallway. That's when she felt Heero haul her close to him, his hand coming up to rest on his gun. She noticed the smoke coming from beneath the closed door, and the stupid agent came into action.

But not the kind of heroic action one would imagine, either.

"What the hell?!" His voice was confused, even as he threw the door open, and the raging flames burned higher. Soon, they started to propagate, setting the thick brocade curtains and wooden tables on fire. The soft looking furniture in the living room soon was also up in flames.

It happened all so fast. One moment they were walking down the hallway, the other, the whole apartment was up in flames. And all due to a stupid heater.

The moment Heero pushed her outside, and told her to exit the building, she knew she was cursed. But, she felt something drop from her stomach the second Heero stood up, and rushed back into the burning place. Relena had her heart in her throat all those long seconds in which Heero still did not appear. And when he finally did, an unconscious agent slung over his shoulder, he gave her a cold, annoyed look that had her standing up on shaky legs.

Relena sighed. Yes, he had blown up at her. She had never seen Heero Yuy as angry as he was that day. And at her. How was she supposed to leave and seek safety, when she knew he was still inside that damned apartment doing who knew what? Her heart swelled with love just thinking about that. Heero Yuy risking his life to safe a bloody agent.

"I know I should have brought an umbrella, or an extinguisher, or rubber boots, or insecticide, or even a spatula!" Relena kept mumbling under her breath, her gaze weary as they made their way through the spacious hallways of the latest apartment. Her eyes rested on the back of the agent's head, a girl no more than 23. Yes, she was nervous. Her previous visits provided little to no consolation, and the fact that this time the agent was a woman, and her bodyguard was absent...

Where in the world is Heero, by the way, she wondered. A meeting cannot last this long. Although, if she was truthful, the previous agent provided the comfort a snail gets from a snake.

"This building was constructed back in the era before the colonies, around the 1900's. Most of its elements are the original materials, like the beige sandstone tiles, and the granite clad walls; some others had to be replaced due to weather and time. The ceilings are of the richest and thickest British oak, you can see how they have survived all these decades just by looking at the color of the panels..."

The place was truly beautiful. If just the hallways were breathtaking, she could only imagine the luxury of the apartments. Even its name was pleasant: Le Songerie.

They entered the soft comfort of the elevator, its wooden interior, combined with gold colored panels, and mirrors, provided an air of opulence that had Relena smiling all the way up to the last floor. The hallway was the same as the first one, with the exception of a few windows, some potted plants, and Milliardo Peacecraft standing by the only door at the end of the corridor. Relena blinked a few times, then frowned as she made her way to her brother.

There was an odd aura around him that left her feeling uneasy, partly due to the shadows hiding his face. There was a gleaming smile pasted on his lips, and Relena found herself smiling back, but she knew it was nervousness. Milliardo Peacecraft did not just stop by to say hello. Oh, no. Something was definitely up. And she couldn't help herself from keeping a certain Preventer's name out of her mind.

Her hands were sweaty. Something about her brother always made her feel like a fidgeting child. Relena sighed; she really didn't know her brother.

"Hello, Milliardo." Her voice was soft, and she would kick herself later for making it sound so childish.

He made a humming sound, the smile still on his face. "This is nice."

His voice was clear, and pleasant, but she frowned at the mild, almost un-detectable sound of condescension underneath it.

They made their way to the apartment the agent showed them to, and Relena frowned at the woman when she caught her eyeing her brother with more than flirtatious eyes. Relena decided to cling to his arm for the rest of the visit.

Milliardo went through the ordeal without complaint. He tipped and argued some points about the décor, and history of the place. When it was over, and Relena had said her goodbye's and thank you's to the agent, not before firmly stating that her brother was indeed 'taken', she and Milliardo headed to a small café tucked a little away from the main street, of course, the meal was on him.

This is a first, she thought. She could not remember a time when she and her brother had been alone for so much time. They had gone out on many an informal lunches, but he had always been with Lucrezia, and she with Heero, of course, on strict personal bodyguard mode.

Where is that man, anyway?

Her hands were clammy, and her mouth dry when Milliardo gently tucked in the chair for her to sit, before making his way around the table to his seat across from her. What are we going to talk about, anyway? Not like we've known each other from all our lives! She was getting hysteric. It's my brother, for crying out loud!

Oh, yes, she was definitely getting too near the edgy side.

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, Lady Une tried to suppress a twitch on her eyelid from appearing. Just peachy. Just why, in God's heavens, did she had to deal with people like these? Moronic, or stoic, stupid, or just too damn smart for their own good. She always got stuck with them. In fact, she was damned. And perpetually so.

She sighed. Oh, and that was turning out to be an everyday occurrence! Her eyes traveled from the annoyed stare of Heero Yuy, to the cocky, slightly arrogant one of Duo Maxwell.

Duo Maxwell, she thought with a grimace. How can someone be so... Happy? She didn't have a clue. But, if Duo is a mystery, then Heero has to be... an enigma.

"I just had a chat with Lucrezia." Her eyes took in the slightly troubled look on Duo's eyes, and the tensing of his shoulders. Heero, on the other hand, stood tall and unaffected. "She tells me that Miss Relena has been having some, how can I put this?-- mishaps with the apartments she's visited. And I wonder how can this be possible if she has a bodyguard?"

There was a change in Heero Yuy's eyes, but he didn't interrupt.

"Maybe her bodyguard is turning out to be a little... incompetent." Her voice was taunting, and she smiled upon hearing the low whistle coming from Duo.

"I've been doing my job quite successfully, actually," Heero stated calmly. "Yes, there has been some 'threats', if you wish to call them that, but she has been left unharmed. I've made sure of that."

Lady Une hummed. "I know. That much I could see. But, somehow, I sense that all this is an inside job... and somehow, I sense the two of you have something to do with it. Now, why's that?"

"I won't try to make sense of what you're hinting about. Nor do I claim to know how your mind works," Heero said, his tone grave and firm.

"Ah, Lady, don't sweat. We've got the situation all covered."

"That's the thing, Duo." The smile that touched her lips was brilliant. "You won't get another chance to 'cover' anything. You two are relieved from your duties."

"What duties? I'm not her bodyguard." Duo ventured, almost apprehensive at the tone in the woman's voice.

"I know. But, I don't want you anywhere near Relena Peacecraft. You hear me?"

"Copy that."

Heero frowned. "That is no justifiable reason."

Lady Une laughed. "Careful, Yuy, you're starting to sound like Wufei!"

~ ~ ~

After almost two hours, appetizers and the main course, two glasses of wine, and a long pep talk to herself, Relena felt a little less tense, and more into the conversation. Her brother, who had maybe drunk something on his way to meet her, had showed her a part of himself that she had never seen before. A loving side that she was getting attached to. She didn't know what exactly triggered this change, nor did she really want to know, the only thing that mattered right then was that she was finally getting to know her brother, and that he was finally showing some interest in her.

"I'm so sorry for that day, I didn't mean to blow up like that."

Relena's smile was happy. "Oh, come on, be serious."

Milliardo laughed, "Well, it did annoy me."

"My intention was not to annoy you," she laughed, "in fact, I explained why I wanted to move out."

Milliardo was silent for a moment, and it was very obvious that he was chewing on some thoughts. When he finally raised his eyes to meet her gaze, they were clear and she felt like they could see right through her and into her soul. "All my life has been this quest to find you. To find someone that belonged to me. My blood and flesh." He sighed, "I know I have not been the best brother around, and I know I've not tried hard enough to get to know you."

Relena hummed, her eyes trained on the table before her.

"I'm not good with people, but that's no excuse. I do want to know you, Relena. All of you. Your past, your dreams, everything. When you told me that day you were moving out, I felt... betrayed." He hushed her, when she started to speak. "And it wasn't fair, not to you, or me. It's nonsense, I know. Somehow having you move away, and not having you under my roof, makes me feel... nostalgic. Like maybe I never found you. It makes me feel useless and incompetent. Like I won't be able to protect you and keep you from harm."

Relena brushed away one stray tear. "You don't have to, you never had to. I love you. That's all that mattered to me." She sighed, "Moving away won't make any difference. It won't change that. We'll still see each other, and we'll still be... the same blood and flesh." Relena laughed, her smile and eyes shining with amusement. "It's like we're saying goodbye!"

Milliardo laughed, leaning back in his chair with a sigh of relief. "The Peacecrafts. Dramatic from birth. It's in the genes, so don't worry about it."

"So... what happened?"

A frown marred his brows. "When?"

Relena laughed again. "I mean, what made you, I don't know, want to straighten things out with me?"

He straightened in his chair, elbows on the table to support his chin on his linked fists. "Noin."

A waiter came by, his black and white uniform crisp as he leaned over to place the desserts on the table. "A baklava for the beautiful lady. And a tiramisu for the gentleman. Enjoy."

Milliardo nodded at the man, and then winced when Relena spooned into her honeyed concoction.

"What?" Her voice was defensive when she spoke around a mouthful.

"You. That. How can you eat that?"

She made a taunting sound of pleasure. "Leave me be. How can you not like it?"

He shook his head. "Too sweet."

"Yeah, well, I'm sweet, too."

~ ~ ~

A figure with a set of dark eyes watched the two Peacecrafts from a far distance, a blank look, arms crossed over his chest... and a smile broke across his face.


To be continued...


Another author's note!: Ooh! I wanted to apologize for the lack of 1xR goodness in this chapter, wanted to work a little on the brotherly love. I'll make up for it in the next chapter. Speaking of which... Remember I said it would only be 3 chapters? Well, ignore me. This will at least take me 2 or 3 more parts. Sooorry!!