Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Secretly Loving You ❯ The Setup ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Secretly Loving You 1/?
Author: sanaaki
Warnings: shounen-ai/yaoi, AU,  Heero-centric (Heero is my absolute favorite), romance, sap, Relena-friendly, fluff
Pairings: 1+2 (main)
Rated: PG
Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me ;_; except the story.
Feedback much appreciated.


      Snip. Snip. Duo enjoyed cutting and styling people’s hair, especially long hair.  He enjoyed the incredible sense of satisfaction from a job well done that it gave him.  He loved making people look good. He had always had a talent for cutting hair and creating style and it served his salon well.  He was the one clients patiently waited for just for the privilege of having their hair cut by him.  He looked around his quirky salon with a smile.  It resembled a café more than a salon. People were scattered about, sitting around small artsy tables. They were all chatting, drinking coffee, tea or some sort of fruit smoothie accompanied almost always by a delicious, decadent pastry courtesy of Hilde who ran the food and drink counter.  The salon also had a mini-library of books donated by friends and customers alike, where people could pick up a book to read while they waited.  They sometimes even had book readings. This eccentricity ran towards their staff as well but he liked it this way. He and Hilde had accomplished everything they had set out to do without losing themselves in the process. They had managed to make the salon a modest success with the help of a very competent, albeit nonconformist staff. Even celebrities often came here to get their hair cut or styled.  He was quite proud of how far they had come from being a couple of poor unwanted kids growing up in an orphanage.

     The bell rang indicating someone new had entered the salon.  Duo glanced over to see who the newcomer was and waved at Quatre, one of his best friends and certainly one of his most regular customers.

    “Duo!!  Do you have time to squeeze me in today?”  Quatre as usual looked great, not a hair out of place, his clean cut look fitting him to a T.

     “I don’t know, Q-man.  It’s pretty busy today…”  Duo gestured around at the slew of people waiting around for either him or his other stylists.

     “That’s too bad… I have to entertain some people tonight and I wanted to look my best…”

     “Q-man, when do you ever not look your best?”  Duo laughed, shaking his head. 

     “Duo, you know what I mean…”  Quatre gave a quick squeeze to Hilde’s shoulder as he took the offered tea from her. He dragged a chair over to Duo’s side to sit in as Duo worked on his client.

     Quatre sipped his tea, contemplatively taking in the goings on of the salon when he suddenly sat up straight.  “Oh yes, Duo!! I just remembered!!  I’ve met someone that I thought you might be interested in.  He seems just your type…”  Quatre began enthusiastically.

     “Stop!!!”  Duo cried directing his palm at Quatre. “No more set ups.  The last time you set me up, I had to spend hours listening to some whiny girl talk about her ex.  That’s it for me!!”

     “But Duo!!  This guy is really hot!!  I know you’d like him…”

     “No way, Quatre.  None of the people you have ever set me up with has worked out.  Just give it up… Your tastes and mine just don’t jive.  He may be hot but he probably has the personality of a wet noodle.  And why must you make it your lifelong mission to set every one of your friends up?”  Duo questioned exasperatedly.  Quatre could be so persistent with pushing these blind dates on him.  He had gone on countless Quatre instigated blind dates and he had just about had enough.  It wasn’t as if he couldn’t get his own dates.  Matchmaking, unfortunately for him and their friends, just seemed to be Quatre’s favorite activity.

     “It’s different this time, Duo.  This guy really is cool …"

     “No! I mean it, Quatre…”

     “Well, if you’re sure, Duo…”

     “I’m sure, Quatre.”

     “Okay then you won’t mind if I set him up with either Wufei or Zechs.  He does seem to have a thing for guys with long hair. I just thought you were perfect for him but they might work out just as well.”

     Duo rolled his eyes.  “Well, if he’s so hot why isn’t he with someone?” 

     “Ah I have a good explanation for that. He was a military brat all his life and I think he was traveling for a while so he hasn’t had a chance to be in a meaningful relationship, or at least that’s what I think.  He has recently decided he was ready to take root somewhere and he chose New York.”  The bell rang again.  A tall guy with light brown hair and long bangs falling over his eyes came in.  Duo waved at Trowa, Quatre’s latest love.

     “Well whatever, Quatre.  I doubt your military brat and I would get along anyway.  Sounds like a stiff.  Let Wufei or Zechs suffer…” Duo continued as Trowa joined them.

     “Talking about Heero?”  Trowa asked.

     “Yes.  Duo is quite stubborn about the whole thing.  He refuses to go on a blind date with him,” Quatre pouted cutely.  Trowa leaned down and kissed Quatre on the lips.

     “Don’t worry about it, love.  I’m sure Heero won’t have any problems finding a date.”

      Duo looked at Trowa enquiringly.  “A date? A date for what?”

     Trowa eyed Quatre amusedly.  “You didn’t tell him?”

     “He didn’t give me a chance to!!” Quatre whined.

     “What’s this about?” Duo had finished cutting and began styling his customer’s hair.  The girl caught his attention and smiled at him.

     “I think you should give this guy a chance, Duo,” she encouraged.

     Duo laughed.  “What is this?  Everyone’s against me.  It’s a conspiracy I tell you!”

     “Well Relena is giving a birthday bash …”

      “And so what’s that got to do with anything.  I’ve gone solo many a time.  It’s not a requirement to bring a date …”

      “Well the thing is …” Quatre seemed somewhat reluctant to say what he wanted to say.

     “Spit it out Q-man.”

     “Relena has decided that Heero is the one she wants.”

     “What?!!!”  Duo was shocked.  Relena, Miss Popularity in high school, prom queen, most sought after girl actually set her sights on someone?  Relena never seemed to care for any guy.  She dated guys here and there but he used to tease her that she was an ice princess because she was so unfeeling about all these guys that professed their undying love for her.  “Whoa I never thought I would see the day.  Who IS this guy that has captured our ice princess’ heart?”

     “Well that’s just it, Duo.  He’s not interested in her.  I think he went on a few dates with her but he told me he just doesn’t like her that way.”

     “I see so by bringing a date to her birthday bash, it makes it crystal clear eh?”

     “So to speak, yes.”

     “No.”

     “Duo!!!”

     “Still not doing it.”

     “Trowa!!”  Quatre pleaded.

     “What do you want me to do about it?  I don’t think we should force him.  Heero is perfectly fine, Quatre.  He can take care of himself.”

     “But don’t you think he would be perfect for Duo? He’s your friend after all.”

     Duo glanced over at Trowa.  Trowa had a strange expression on his face.  Trowa was hard to read but he could detect a little discomfort in Trowa’s eyes.  Something more was going on. “Trowa, no way … Did you …?”

      Neither Quatre and Trowa were looking at him now, studiously avoiding his eyes.
     “You did, didn’t you?  You dated Heero before!!!”  The slight tinge of red in his cheeks was all Duo needed for confirmation.  “Spill it!!! Give me details!!”

     “Trowa dated him in high school,” Quatre offered.  "Now they’re just best friends.”  Then Quatre leaned towards Duo’s ear and whispered conspiratorially, “Heero was Trowa’s first boyfriend.”

     “Oh my god, that’s too funny.  And I can’t believe you’re trying to foist this guy on me.”

     “Fine, fine, Duo.  But don’t come crying to me when you see him with Wufei or Zechs.  You are so going to regret it because he’s really hot.”

     “Well if he’s so hot, why didn’t Trowa keep him, huh?”  Duo taunted.

     Quatre mumbled something.

     “What? I can’t hear you…” Duo pressed on.

     “I said, he dumped Trowa not the other way around.” 

     Trowa sighed. “Why do I have to get involved in this discussion?  Love, I’m going.  I’ll catch you later.  I have to meet Wufei anyway.”  Trowa kissed Quatre goodbye and made a quick exit.

     “Oh man sorry, Quatre. Didn’t think he would be so touchy about it.”

     “Well, he’s a bit bitter about it but he really IS best friends with Heero.  He says Heero is a great guy.  To be honest, I think he probably still has feelings for him.  After all, Heero was his first…”

     “You don’t seem too bothered by it though.”  It was true. Duo was surprised to see Quatre so calm about the situation.  Quatre really did see the good in people.  Duo knew if it were him he would be jealous as hell, and certainly not trying to set Heero up with his friends.  Although, that might actually be a better idea now that he gave it some thought.  Getting Heero hooked up as soon as possible pretty much removed any potential threat to Quatre’s relationship with Trowa.  Duo began to see the bigger picture.  “Well in any case,  I’m not your guy, Quatre.  Sorry.”

     “It’s ok, Duo.  Oh so we’re going to hang out later after my meeting.  I’m going to introduce Wufei to Heero tonight.  I think Heero is definitely Wufei’s type even if he’s not yours. Want to drop by later on and join us at ‘Luna Park’?”

     “Sure, why not?  I’m kind of curious to see who this Heero is anyway.”

     “Ok then I’m going to go.  I’ll see you later.”

     “Ok bye.”  He waved to Quatre as he left.
 
 
To be continued…