Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Seventh Heaven ❯ Meeting on the Campus ( Chapter 21 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Meeting on the Campus

Series: Seventh Heaven

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Pairings: 1+2, 3+4, 6+9

Warnings: Heero POV, AU (our time), slight humour

Archive: Lev's Lair

Fanfiction.net

MediaMiner

Anyone else wants this? Just email me!

Disclaimer: Of course I own the GW gang. In fact, I'm bringing them to the Yaoi-Con coming soon. However, I'm having a hard time trying to get all their costumes and convince my friends to cosplay with me, so you'll probably not see me there. So no, unless you think cosplayers are the real things, I don't own any of the real GW gang. Not that I own my friends. This fic does not need a costume, so I own it. But I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho and its characters either.

Thanx to Lily Kalanoa for beta-ing! ^^

I sip at my hot coffee, enjoying the warmth heating up my hands. It's been a cold day, what with the shower that has lasted the whole morning. My lessons for the day have just finished, and I'm currently in the school cafeteria with the guys. Quatre and Trowa are drinking their own coffee (separate cups, thank god) and holding their private conversation, which I, no doubt, think has something to do with a date later in the day. The two lovebirds can give nearly any couple a run for their money for being the mushiest couple in history. Zechs is strangely despondent today, and has flopped his arms onto the table like some rag doll. And Catherine seems to be having fun bugging the hell out of him.

"What's with you?" Catherine asks offhandedly, poking at the slumped form of Zechs. "You look like hell froze over."

Zechs lets out a big sigh. His problem is probably a small one, but he likes acting melodramatic. I think he's hoping some director or something will see his so called potential and offer him a leading role in a movie. He's always been like that.

"It's a man's problem, Cathy! You can't help me!"

"Did I say I was going to?" Catherine grumbles, looking instantly bored.

Zechs rattles on, apparently oblivious to her muttering. "I have to solve this gigantic, enormous, colossal, mammoth problem all on my own! Because I…"

"You had an argument with Noin."

The simple statement has a resounding effect. I swear I can hear it echoing around us, and maybe in Zechs' head too. It's quite evident from the look on his face. Eyes wider than dishes, jaws slacker than that movie great white shark… And the air around us feels as though it just cracked. Even Quatre and Trowa seem to have felt the impact, and are looking at Zechs intently.

"You're going to make a goldfish jealous with eyes that big."

Catherine's comment has an instant thawing effect on the air around us, and Zechs shuts his jaws.

"How did you know about that?"

"Wild guess." She shrugs absently. And with a look at Zechs, she smirks smugly. "Not bad for one, since you always have loads of different problems at hand. Maybe I should buy lottery later."

I think she should. Zechs usually has a lot of problems, some are self-made like his school work, while others are just created by other people who don't like him. His ego rubs some people the wrong way. And before meeting Noin, some were girl problems. Oh, not the 'how-do-I-get-this-girl-to-like-me' type of girl problem. It's the 'which-girl-should-I-date-this-weekend?' type. Yeah, he'd been a gigantic flirt. So yes, Zechs always has loads of problems. If Catherine is this accurate, she really should consider dumping the rest of her allowance into buying a lottery ticket.

"What happened between you and Noin?" Quatre asks softly.

We aren't very familiar with Noin, actually, even though we are on a first name basis with her. She is, after all, the girlfriend of one of our best buddies. But she usually hangs out with her own friends, and Zechs has only brought her along to our party on a few occasions. Still, from what I've gathered so far, she's quite a nice person. Very organized, intelligent and reserved. I'm still surprised by the fact that she chose to date Zechs, that big flirt.

Zechs sighs, this time not as dramatic as before. I'm starting to think that he's really upset this time.

"We had an argument."

"We know that now." Catherine notes with a roll of her eyes. "On what?"

"It's no big deal. I was just asking a classmate," he pauses, and then corrects himself, "female classmate, about some assignment we had to do. This girl's got a crush on me, so she was like, all over me. Then, Noin chose that moment to come looking for me! I tried to tell her that it wasn't my fault, but she just brushed me off."

"Let me guess. When you were asking about your assignment, you were all smiles and touchy with the girl?" Trowa says, deadpanned.

"Hey, c'mon! I was asking for a favour! What did you expect me to do?"

"Keep your hands to yourself."

Catherine and Quatre nod approvingly. I withhold the right to remain neutral. Whenever I talk to Zechs about girl stuff, not that I want to, he'd turn the tables and congratulate me about the fact that I have no girlfriends because they're so problematic. Jerk…

"Alright, I get it. So now I have to apologize to Noin?"

"Obviously!" Catherine snaps, her brows creased in irritation. "And make sure you mean it!"

"Yeah, I know…" He replies, waving the issue off. Suddenly, he looks at me and I seriously think I should scram the table. But I'm too slow for that. "How are things between you and Duo? Have you ever argued? I tell ya. Don't flirt with other people or he'll catch you. It's a cosmic phenomenon, I swear…"

"Oh, don't worry about that. I wouldn't do that to Duo," I state solemnly, fully intending to keep that promise to myself. I'm an idiot if I don't see Duo as the beautiful and kind person he is and inflict harm of any sort on him. "And we've been fine."

"Really? No wonder you've been looking rather happy lately… So what have you two done lately?" Quatre asks good-naturedly. He's really curious about it, I think. And it's a nice change of topics, I must say. Quatre does this best, out of all of us.

"We had coffee together."

"That's all? Any kissing yet?"

"No! I just… took his hand." I know my face is burning up. I just know it. Why can't they stop asking about the intimate details? Next thing I know, Zechs will be recommending what brand of lube and condom to use… Crap. Don't let your mind wander off in that direction, Heero Yuy! You are *so* not going to do anything of that sort to Duo anytime soon!

"You sure are moving slow…"

"Are you dating him? Or hanging out together?" Trowa asks, taking Quatre's hand in his gently. "Have you confessed your feelings to him yet?"

"…No?" I have a very baaad feeling about this.

"What!?" Zechs yells suddenly, after a moment of silence.

The 'what' is pretty loud, and although I had sort of expected it, it still almost knocks me off my chair. Almost.

"How could you do that? If you like someone, you should confess quickly or someone else will do it first! And…"

Catherine elbows him in the ribs. "Shut up! If you're that worried about Noin, go look for her!" Then she takes another look and rolls her eyes resignedly. "Or maybe not. You'll probably make things worse now."

I blink. I'm aware that Zechs is pretty serious about Noin, having maintained a longer relationship with her than with any other girl before. But I didn't know he's *this* serious. Somehow, this side of him doesn't seem familiar to me.

While Catherine continues advising Zechs, and Zechs keeps being despondent, Quatre turns to me.

"Actually, Heero… I'd be surprised if you confess so soon. I mean, you're always the type who'd analyze things to death first before committing," Quatre teases gently, and I smile. "So, how's things been with you two? Do you really like him?"

I nod. "I'm happy with him. The happiness is different from what I feel when I'm with you guys. It's not just being with a friend, but something more. I… can't explain it, but I know."

"That's good enough for now. But you know, Zechs is quite right. If you like Duo, and make sure of that first, you should tell him. Because if Duo is as good as you've always told us, he should be rather popular. In that case, you'd probably have some stiff competition."

"I know," I answer solemnly, but I smile inwardly. As much as I know about Duo, he's got no boy or girlfriend now. Besides, if anyone wanted to court Duo, they'd have to get pass his brother first.

*****

I like the garden. It's breezy. And no one is going to complain about me taking up the cafeteria space because I'm not eating.

I'm lazing around, I know. But I really don't feel like doing any revision or anything remotely related to school. In any case, I have another session with Solo later for our write-up. Zechs and Catherine have gone off for their respective classes, and the two lovebirds are no doubt catching a few smooches in the privacy of Quatre's mansion. Or maybe even more. Only they themselves know. And a few of the servants, I guess. They *are* the ones cleaning up the bed sheets, after all.

Sigh. I wonder when will I be able to meet Duo again. We didn't set our next date the last time we parted because we weren't too sure of our respective schedules. I am seriously tempted to call him tonight, if just to hear his voice. Actually, I'd much prefer to trek to his place and see him. But from the way my luck goes, I'll probably see his brother instead.

Removing my wallet from my pocket, I flip it open and let the picture inside stare back at me. It's the one Duo and I took together that day in the park, the one where we're standing pretty close to each other. I like it a lot, because Duo is especially attractive in this picture. I'd like to inflate my ego and say it's because of my superb photography skills, but I didn't take this photo, obviously. And I know it's Duo's natural charm. He is made to be attractive.

Even his braid seems to be screaming 'Look at me!' every time I see him.

Like now.

I blink. Is it just me, or is Duo strolling along in front of me? It's got to be him; no guy on campus has a braid that long. And beautiful, I mentally add. Quickly, I grab my backpack and run towards him.

"Duo! Duo!"

He pauses in his steps, and looks around. Then, he spots me and offers a curious little look that includes a slight widening of his violet orbs. "Heero?"

"Hi Duo!" I say, finally before him. "I was just sitting at the bench there doing my stuff when I saw you here. I almost thought I needed to check my eyes. Why are you here?"

"Because of my brother. He stuffed my school assignment into his backpack last night, so I had to come over to collect it since he won't be going home anytime soon. My teacher demands for it today, and not a day later [1]." He shrugs resignedly. "Heero?"

"Yeah?"

"I think we should move somewhere else if you want to talk. I don't think it'll be a good idea if my brother suddenly appears and sees us talking. He'd… get angry." He explains sheepishly, and with a bit of embarrassment.

Man, Duo looks good with a tinge of red in his face.

"I understand. There's this quiet place a little ways from here. I don't think he'll be able to find us there." I say, and quickly lead him there. It's where the guys and I usually hang out to talk, and recently, interrogate me about my relationship with Duo. Gee… I wonder what would they think if they know that Duo's here today? Maybe Quatre and Trowa would regret about leaving so early, and Catherine and Zechs would try to skip classes. They all want to see Duo, supposedly the 'object of my affections'. I don't like saying that, because Duo isn't an object. But hey, you just can't argue about this sort of thing with Catherine. And no, I haven't shown them any of Duo's photos apart from that 'brown spot in the corner' one. I'm not that stupid like the last time.

Duo sits down on a bench, and I take the seat opposite of his.

"I didn't know you were a student here too." He says.

"Yeah… The topic just never came up, I guess." I shrug. "So… how have things been for you? Are Mueller and Alex still making trouble for you?"

He chuckles. "Well, I've been fine. As fine as I can get since the last time we met two days ago. And no, they two of them are avoiding me now. I think they're seriously scared of you. How badly did you beat them up?"

"Erm… not too bad. Though I think Mueller wore his left arm in a sling for a while after that…" I answer, suddenly feeling a little guilty. It seems that I beat them up really bad. But then again, the two idiots didn't stop to think of the consequences of bullying my sister.

"Hm… I think I see why they're running away from me now. But well, it's a good arrangement. At least I can go to school in peace. Thanks Heero." He smiles warmly.

"You're… welcome." Actually, I'm pretty elated to know that I've helped Duo in someway. Now I know I didn't waste all that time in my karate classes. "If they bother you again, just tell me. I'll help you, no matter what."

Duo nods. "Yeah, thanks. But I don't think that'll be a problem for quite a while. Mueller and Alex are kinda cowardly, and you've just effectively scared them off."

"I did, huh?"

"Yeah."

"So…" I am *so* stuck for a good conversational topic now. While I am glad that Duo is pretty safe from the two idiots, I'm not interested in talking about them the whole day. Especially when Duo is sitting right in front of me. Maybe I should ask for another date. Let me think… Quatre said that I should exude confidence when I'm asking, and that I should smile and be charismatic. I told him about how I tried to get Duo to agree to a date, and it turns out that he thinks it's plain luck I've succeeded. So he spent quite a while tutoring me about the subject. Let me just see how much I can remember.

"When are you free, Duo? Maybe we can go out together again…?" Very good, Heero! Quatre would be proud! At least I think I sounded confident.

Duo scrunches his brows in thought. "I think Sunday would be good. Wait… I think I have something on that day… What is it?"

I think I'm pouting inwardly. It's from disappointment, I guess. After all, I had been looking forward to a nice weekend date with Duo. And take note: 'date'. Not 'hanging out'. I was hoping to steal a few cuddles, and if possible, a little more. A small peck on the cheek would be good.

"Oh right… I promised my friend that I would help him to look for something. And Sunday's my only free day… Sorry Heero. Next week, maybe?"

"What're you looking for?" I ask. Maybe I could help. Heck, maybe I could go out with him on Sunday and look for it together. That could be a date too. Better than not seeing him for the whole weekend.

"An anime DVD. Both of us want to watch it, but he's busy with something. So I'm going to find it first, and pass it to him after watching."

"Which anime? I have a friend working for an anime rental shop. Maybe she can help."

"Really? I'm looking for a Yu Yu Hakusho movie. I've watched the series already, but I just can't seem to find the movie…"

Bingo! Although I've seldom watched anime, this is one of the few that I have. Better still, I think Hirde owns the full set of the manga and even the series on VCD. The only reason why I've watched it too is because she insisted that it was good, and that I would like it. I'm going to kiss her when I get home.

"You like Yu Yu Hakusho too?" I ask, feeling excited already by the common subject of interest.

"Yeah! You too? Cool!" Duo exclaims with a laugh. "A friend recommended it to me, and I just got hooked. There was a time where I ate, lived and breathed Yu Yu Hakusho! I've read the manga and watched the anime series, and now I really want to watch the movie. Anyway, who's your favourite character?"

"Favourite? I would say Hiei. I think he's just… cool. And I think he's not exactly as cold as he pretends to be. At least, he's protective of his sister."

"Like you, huh?" Duo teases. "Seemingly cold, but warm under that exterior. And protective of younger siblings."

"Maybe?" I shrug. People have told me that I look cold and aloof, but few have gotten the opportunity to know me better. If they have, perhaps they'd know that my interior differs greatly from my looks. So if Duo believes that, it should be a good sign. "And you? Who's your favourite?"

"Kurama [2]. I like his calmness and intelligence. Lots of strategy, yeah? And I think he's got to be the only guy to carry off pink hair and still look good."

I laugh. "Yeah… No offence to you, but imagine yourself with pink hair."

"Then I should probably get a pink wardrobe so I can look like a flamingo," he sniggers, shoulders racking with soft laughter.

'Or you could just ransack Relena's wardrobe.' I muse silently. I know it ruins the mood to think of her now, but somehow, talk to me about anything pink and my brain makes the connection by itself. It's like… pink and Relena are synonymous. I look at Duo, and I can't help but smile at the image he makes.

"And you'd be the best looking flamingo out there," I say earnestly, looking into his dancing violets.

He shakes his head in faint amusement. "Oh yeah? Still, I find it hard to picture myself with a different hair colour. I can accept highlights, but I don't think I'll ever dye it. And just look at the mass of hair I have! It'll empty my wallet to dye."

I nod. "I agree. So I guess you should probably stick to chestnut hair. And well… chestnut goes well with my deep brown hair." There, I've said it. Zechs said I should try integrating slightly flirtatious remarks into my conversation with Duo sometimes. Says it would give Duo some sense of mental preparedness, when I really confess to him. But hey, he didn't tell me how to get out of the awkward situations. So here I am, looking at the slightly dazed Duo, and unsure of what to say.

Then he laughs, a little nervously if I might say. "I guess so. I mean, we'd look really strange if we were walking down the street with pink and brown hair…"

"Right. And about that DVD, I'll help you ask around. Maybe someone has a copy of it lying around somewhere…"

"Thanks, Heero."

"You're welcomed. I'll call you if I find it."

"Okay." He nods. "And Heero? It's pretty late. I should be going. I have to go back to school to submit my assignment still…"

"I'll walk you out. I still have a little time before I have to go."

*****

I dash into the library, nearly getting a lecture from the librarian for all the noise. Luckily, I manage to scurry into the study room before he can actually confront me.

Plopping my books and stuff onto the table, I slide into my seat. "Hi, Solo. Sorry for being a little late." When I had told Duo that I still had some time left before my project, I was talking about roughly five minutes. So sue me, but can't a guy walk his boyfriend out? Ok fine, so Duo isn't my boyfriend yet. But still…

"No problem, man! I'd just gotten here a bit earlier myself. But well, indulge my curiosity. How is it that Heero-the-ever-punctual-student arrived late," he checks his watch, "for fifteen minutes?"

"I was… erm, too engrossed in my books. Sorry."

I can tell that he doesn't really buy my story, but thankfully, he lets it slide. "It's okay. I'll have my fair share of being late anyway." He shrugs, and takes out all his notes for our project. "You know, you just missed my brother."

"Your brother?"

"Yeah, he came to visit me earlier. Had we met up like… half an hour earlier, you'd have met him. And probably be bowled over by his good looks and charming personality." He laughs.

He's being boastful, but I can actually relate to him. After all, I do that with Hirde sometimes too. I practically raised her by myself, what with my parents always abroad. So there's always this sense of pride in me when I talk to someone about her. I suppose it's just the same for Solo.

"Maybe?" I shrug good-naturedly.

"Most certainly," Solo replies proudly, and spreads out a few sheets of paper on the table neatly. "And now, the project…"

*****

The meeting today is swift and to the point. Solo and I went through a few points about our project, and ironed out a few mistakes. We also made plans for our advertisement, which is another big issue by itself.

But really, since Solo had pretty much taken care of nearly everything, there's not a lot I can do. In the end, we agree on letting me type out what we've already done, which is not a lot actually, because Solo's already done the budget tables and all that stuff. Still, it's enough to keep me busy for quite a while.

It's after dinner now, and I'm already done with the dirty dishes, with no help from Hirde. She's stuck to the living room couch with super glue, and a crowbar wouldn't be able pry her away from the television. Sometimes I think she worships the television set.

Thinking about the weekend, I'm pretty sure that I want to accompany Duo on his trip down to anime stores. For that to be possible though, I'd have to get to some serious typing now. Heading into my room, I switch on my computer and wait for it to load up. I turn in my seat; maybe I should call Duo now and let him know that. Then I remember someone, and I grin. She probably knows where to get the DVD Duo wants.

Picking up the phone, I dial up Dorothy's number.

Dorothy Catalonia is Relena Peacecraft's best friend, and everyone on campus knows that. They're usually together, unless Relena's in stalker mode and prowling around for me. It seems that Dorothy hates to see her friend boy-crazy, because Relena tends to be less dignified and composed. Not surprising, since Dorothy is all about level headedness. And sometimes, superiority. That kind of limits my relationship with her, since Quatre isn't all too fond of her. He thinks she's being discriminatory, but I think it's just opposing views. Still, Dorothy is a good friend to me, sometimes giving me timely warnings about Relena approaching via her cell phone. Ironically enough though, I knew her through Relena.

Ring. Ring.

"Hello? Who is it?"

"Dorothy? Is that you?"

"Heero?"

"Right."

"Is anything the matter? Need my help in dispelling Lena again?" she asks, with a slight hint of amusement.

I chuckle. I remember the last time we tried. Relena doubled up her efforts after our plans backfired. "Not her this time. Dorothy, you're working part-time in an anime rental store, aren't you?" Actually, from what I know, Dorothy's pretty rich, At least, rich enough to have no need to work now. I think she just wants to be different. Either that, or she's just being strange again.

"Not completely anime. We rent movies mostly, and some of the more popular anime. Why? Are you looking for something?"

"Yeah. I'm looking around for an anime DVD for my friend."

"Friend?" she says disbelievingly, and I can just imagine her raising a forked eyebrow. "I heard from Noin that you seem to be dating someone now. Don't worry; I'm not going to tell Lena. You're telling her yourself. Anyway, is this friend…?"

"If you're talking about Duo, then yes." I have no qualms about telling Dorothy such things, because I know she's a good keeper of such secrets. In fact, she seems to be a library of gossips and rumour running around the campus. But she never starts any, merely content on hearing about them. Gee… I like the woman. It's easy to get information from her sometimes, since she's on my side with regards to Relena.

"That's good. I'm going to have a lot of fun watching the drama when you finally tell Relena you're dating someone that's not her," she cackles.

She's positively evil. Geez…

"So what are you looking for?"

"A Yu Yu Hakusho movie DVD."

"I'm not sure if we have that in the store, but I can check it out tomorrow. I'll call you tomorrow night to let you know."

"Thanks Dorothy."

"You're welcomed. Is there anything else?"

"No."

"I nearly forgot. Lena's been keeping to herself pretty much lately. I mean, she hasn't been going after you the past couple of days. Did you do anything?"

"No, my friend did," I answer, and go on to explain Solo's help.

"He did, huh? That's a smooth move. Tell him I said cool."

"Sure. Bye Dorothy."

"Bye Heero."

I hang up the phone. I'll call Duo tomorrow, after Dorothy's phone call. Still, I'm going out with him this weekend no matter what. Hopefully, I'll get him to feed me some chocolate again. I'm still having dreams about that, as a matter of fact.

The only downside is that Hirde keeps yelling at me for dirtying the sheets.

Oh well. It's her business. She volunteered for laundry duties.

-owari-

Sorceress Fantasia @ 6th July 2003

Last beta-ed 6th October 2003

[1]: While this has never happened to me, it has happened to a classmate of mine. So it's actually possible, though the teacher has got to be really evil.

[2]: Kurama and Hiei are characters of Yu Yu Hakusho. I don't lay claim to any of them.