Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Shounen Kakumei Duo ❯ The Black Rose Blooms ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

((I do not own Gundam Wing or Shoujo Kakumei Utena, blah blah blah. I posted this on ff.net, and I'm unsure about rewriting it. Please leave some feedback...?))

"The Black Rose Blooms"

~*~

Lunch came by quickly. All in that while, Duo spent his time roaming aimlessly about the gigantic campus and threw his way around tons of students. He pretty much figured out where his next three classes were to take place, but where were the dueling grounds? Wufei had failed to point that out to him; even though he said that he would.

Duo's next three classes didn't consist of the other pilots, except in his last hour class he spotted Dorothy, unmistakably. She wore the same outfit as did Hilde, Relena, and the rest of the female student body of the Ohtori Academy. The girl didn't even cast him as much as a second glance, so it was obvious to Duo that she didn't recognize him.

After the bell of his last class rang, Duo gathered up his book bag and began to head into the direction of the little locker room that Wufei had shown him earlier. Thanks to his aimless self tour of the school during lunch, Duo knew exactly where to go. He was hoping that he'd see Wufei or Heero or someone along the way that he knew, so that he could ask directions to the dueling grounds; even if it did make him look like a fool. Heh, but then again, he already was one.

Upon walking into the little locker from earlier, Duo glanced over to his right and instantly saw the lone kendo stick that Wufei had out waiting for him. He walked up to it and noticed that it bore a small note attached to it. Curious, Duo detached the note and read it.

"Great! Guess the guy didn't forget after all," Duo said to himself as he read the directions to the dueling grounds that Wufei had wrote for him. He folded up the note and placed it in his pocket, taking the kendo stick and walking out of the locker room. He began to make his way towards the dueling grounds.

~*~

"A Duelist, sir?"

"Yes Noin, he's a Duelist."

"Is he in the Student Council like the rest of them?"

"No, he isn't. He's just a mere student out with a Rose Seal about his ring finger. From my understanding, he and the Student Council president are scheduled for a Duel today at the dueling grounds. I plan to witness this Duel. Will you accompany me, Noin?"

"Yes, sir."

"Please, Noin, call me Zechs."

"Yes, Zechs."

~*~

Upon walking out of the main campus doors, Duo saw a very familiar figure walk ahead of him on another balcony, walking arm in arm with a certain, tall brunette who wore a green colored Student Council uniform. Instantly, Duo felt his heart jump.

'Quatre!!'

Duo quickly sped up his pace, aiming towards Quatre and Trowa; even though they were a level above him. He quickened his pace to a run as he saw them enter a building in front of him. 'Shit! This is out of the way!' he thought to himself. He slowed his pace as he came nearer and nearer to the building, coming to a full stop before its tall, glass doors. He looked up at it and tightened his grip lightly on the handle of the kendo stick, his other arm holding up his black book bag. He walked through the doors and looked about quickly inside the building for any signs or traces of Quatre.

Looking upwards, he saw the couple begin to make an exit to the upper right of him. 'HOW did they get over there that fast?!' Duo thought to himself as he quickly began to make his way up some steps. Reaching up onto the next level, he caught a glimpse of the door closing. Biting his lip lightly, Duo quickly ran out the doors, anxious to see Quatre and Trowa in front of him. Instead, he almost ran into Hilde. As soon as the glass doors shut behind him, Hilde turned around, her eyes widening as she smiled.

"Duo!" she greeted, cheerfully, walking up to him and placing her arms around his shoulders. Duo's eyes grew as he quickly stepped back from her.

"Uh, sorry, Hilde... I'm kinda in a hurry," he said, looking behind her and then to the side. Hilde pouted.

"I'm... I'm sorry... I shouldn't have done that," she said as she began to turn around. Duo quickly turned his attention back to her.

"No, no! I didn't mean it like that! I was just looking for someone!" he said, quickly. Hilde cast her gaze back up to him, her eyes grown big and watery.

'Scary. She's -NEVER- like this!' Duo thought to himself as Hilde lifted a hand and wiped the side of her cheek.

"It's... all right, Duo. I shouldn't have just-"

Hilde's eyes widened once again as she felt Duo's arms wrap around her and pulling her close into a warm embrace. Even though he still held the kendo stick and his book bag, he seemed to have no trouble as he placed his cheek lightly against the side of her neck.

"Naw, I should be the one apologizing, Hilde," he said. Hilde's face grew into a smile as she lifted one of her arms to pat Duo lightly on the back, closing her eyes.

"No need for apology, Duo," she said, placing her hand on Duo's shoulder. She paused, waiting for a reaction from the braided boy. She reopened her eyes.

"Duo?" she asked when she didn't feel him move.

"No Hilde, I'm really, really sorry and I shouldn't have done that," he said quickly. Even though he had his arms around her, Duo was really looking behind Hilde, to see if he could find Quatre. He didn't want to risk hurting her 'girly' feelings, so he figured that an embrace would give her a different impression than just merely taking her by the shoulders and forcing her to step aside as he looked for the boy that he loved. His eyes darted up and down and side to side behind Hilde, looking about frantically for the blonde Arabian.

"Duo, really, it's all right," said Hilde with a light chuckle. Duo frowned. Quatre was NO WHERE! And now, he had gotten himself into -something- with Hilde. What it was, he didn't know... Or rather, didn't wish to know, at that.

"All righty then," he said as he drew back, taking a gentle held on her upper arms and smiling at her. Hilde's face seemed to flush lightly, as she placed a hand upon her cheek.

"Duo..."

'Shit,' he thought to himself quickly. Hilde walked up to him slowly, extending a hand out to touch his. Her hand stopped, as if hesitant, then quickly drew back as she ran past him and entered the building. Duo turned around in confusion.

'Okay... what was all that about?' he thought to himself. He glanced downwards at the next level balcony, hoping to find Quatre, but instead, saw the Latin pilot, alone.

'Where's Quatre?' he thought to himself as the uni-banged young boy walked casually, not taking notice of anything but his intended path. Duo leaned over the balcony that he was on and looked about, back and forth, hoping to spot his love somewhere close by.

Suddenly, he heard his wrist watch beeping. Shit! The Duel! Quickly, Duo turned away from Trowa and began to retrace his steps, back to his former path.

***

After retracing back down his intended path, Duo walked up to a large, aqua-colored stone gate, with various designs upon it and a steady creek flowing calmly in front of and around it. He reached out and lightly ran his hand over the embedded designs of the large gate. Taking a couple of steps forward, with his hands firmly placed on the gate, Duo pushed against it, hoping to make it move. He then set his book bag near the entrance of the gate and resumed pushing against it. Grunting, he added even more of his weight onto the gate. Still, no avail.

The American pulled back and quickly began to look for other means of opening the gigantic gate. He looked a little to his left and saw two, giant door handles, one with a small circle in front. Suddenly feeling dense, Duo placed his right hand over the handle. Then, something suddenly felt very cold against his hand.

Water was everywhere all of a sudden. Behind him, Duo felt little droplets of water on him as it splashed about, along the path he just came, seeming to enclose him around the gate. With a violent shake, the gate slowly creaked open, its aged surface seeming to fall apart any moment.

As the doors opened fully, Duo saw before him a very, very large staircase. It was made of marble and the steps themselves were very wide, leading upwards around what appeared to be an ivory, spiral tower. Questioning how long it would take to climb up the stairs, Duo began the task, leaving his black book bag behind.

It didn't take as long as he presumed it to be. Duo was up at the pillar of the spiral in no time. Exhausted, that is. After all that stair climbing, Duo realized that perhaps his regular exercise routine needed more of his attention.

Looking across the dueling grounds, Duo spotted Heero in his student council uniform, and Relena standing next to him, but not in her school uniform. Instead, she wore a long, pink dress that split into three as it neared the waist, allowing her long, slender legs to be shown, accompanied by black high heels. She wore a golden crown that stood out from her corn- skin colored hair. In both her hands were two different colored roses- one red and one black.

"Welcome, Duo. You've come prepared?" asked Heero, half tauntingly, as Relena walked up to him and fasted the red rose into his left chest pocket, leaving the fully bloomed rose in exposure.

"What about you?" Duo asked, noticing that Heero didn't have a sword with him. Relena walked up to him quietly, the black rose in hand. She reached out and pulled Duo a bit closer, then lowered the black rose into his left chest pocket also, leaving the bloom of the rose out in the open.

"You know the rules?" she asked in a quiet voice. Duo looked down at her and blinked, showing that he didn't.

"The first one to have their rose knocked off loses," she said. Duo nodded as he turned his attention back to Heero. Heero had this evil smirk upon his face, like he -knew- that he was going to defeat Duo. Duo sort of doubted that he'd be the victor, but it never hurt to try, right?

"Now, it begins," said Heero in his monotone-ish voice once again. Relena walked up in front of him, and then turned to the side. Heero lifted his arm and held it behind her lower back, supporting her as she began to fall backwards. As she did, a small light began to form at the center of her chest. The farther she leaned back, the brighter the light grew, until Duo could barely make out what the two figures in front of him were doing. Suddenly, there was a very bright, just about blinding. The shape of the light was vertical as it emerged from Relena's chest. Heero had what appeared to be the handle of a sword in his hands, his Rose Seal ring glowing brightly. The light continued to glow brightly, lighting up just about everything in its path. Finally, Relena's body jerked forward as Heero leaned upwards withdrawing the entire sword from her body, Relena still in one arm, and then held the sword up to the sky.

"The Power to Revolutionize the World!!"

Relena regained her balance and stepped back, away from the soon-to- be Duel. Duo's eyes were wide and his mouth was open in shock. Did. Did he just see correctly? A sword emerged itself from Relena's chest! Was Heero going to fight him with it? It seemed that way; the way Heero pointed the sword straight at Duo, his eyes narrowing in a challenge.

"You think a mere kendo stick will defeat the Sword of Dios?" asked Heero. Duo regained himself and looked down at the wooden practice stick. Now, was this a trick question?

"I didn't think so!" said Heero quickly, charging at Duo with the sword aimed directly at his heart; at the rose. Duo quickly jumped to the side, feeling Heero brush by quickly. His eyes widened as he got a better look at the sword.

"Heero! That's a real sword!" he exclaimed. Heero turned around to face him, lifting up the sword and aiming it at him again, a sly smirk spread across his lips.

"Of course, Duo. Do you think we'd perform this sacred ritual with mere wooden sticks?" he asked, indicating to Duo's kendo stick. Duo quickly turned himself to the side as Heero lunged at him again. Without seeing his next move, Heero raised himself back up and twisted the upper half of his body, striking the sword at Duo's rose. Had Duo not forced himself to stumble backwards, the petals of his rose would have been falling to the ground in defeat.

~*~

"He's excellent at dodging, wouldn't you say, Zechs?"

"Yes, Noin, but is dodging all he can do? I haven't seen him attack the Student Council President yet."

"This is his first Duel, Zechs. I don't think he's ever participated in any form of fencing before, judging by his actions."

"I'm glad that Yuy is taking it easy on him."

"It must be very frustrating for him; he's not used to such a novice."

"I'm sure his patience will grow thin."

"So who are you cheering on, Zechs?"

"No one but myself, Noin."

~*~

Duo felt himself began to grow tired- all he was doing was dodging! Every time he made an attempt to strike at Heero, Heero would either parry it with ease, or find an opening to attack him. Relena continued to watch them both, her hands placed calmly over her lap, yet it was easily read from her face that she was very anxious for the outcome.

Suddenly, Heero brought his sword down at Duo. In a quick response, Duo lifted up his wooden kendo stick to meet with Heero's. The force of the impact of the swords sent Duo stumbling backwards clumsily, gripping the handle of the kendo stick tightly. He looked down at it and noticed- there was a crevice along the 'blade' of it! It was just about useless now.

"Still think you can win?" asked Heero, aiming his sword at Duo, preparing to charge at him again. Duo raised the kendo stick and brought it down to the ground quickly, smashing it upon the ground. The blade of the kendo stick cracked into two, and then Duo raised it again and smashed it upon the ground, sending both sides of the blade flying. He lifted the handle back up; all that remained was the handle and about five or six inches of what used to be the blade left. Heero raised an eyebrow at Duo's actions.

"What?" he asked. Duo held the handle in front of him.

"I know I probably won't win, but just waving around a big, useless stick isn't going to help me either. At least this way, I might still have a chance," he said. Heero shook his head.

"Baka." he mumbled, before charging at Duo again.

~*~

"Zechs! Did you see-"

"Yes, Noin. Quite clever of the boy."

"Clever...?"

"Yes, clever."

~*~

Heero placed so much force onto his next attack that not only sent Duo stumbling backwards; it caused him to trip and fall onto his bottom, with Heero still on top of him. Heero sat up on Duo, applying more and more force to the sword, with Duo only defending himself with the handle of the former kendo stick.

"Do you give up?" asked Heero tauntingly, his lips curved into that sadistic smirk. Duo tightened his grip onto the handle, trying with all his strength to push back Heero.

"Hell... No!" Duo said, grunting in between his words. Without warning, Heero leaned to the side of Duo and forced his lips upon the other boy's. Duo's eyes widened quickly and his heart jumped. He grunted again as he felt Heero apply even more force onto his sword, causing Duo's arms to shake as he attempted to hold the handle steady.

"Heero!!"

As Heero's eyes opened and darted to his left, looking to see why Relena had just called his name, Duo took advantage of the quick distraction and thrust his upper body against Heero's, forcing their lips to part. Heero turned his head quickly as Duo threw him off of him quickly, turning their positions so that Duo was now on top of Heero. Instantly, Heero thrust his sword up towards Duo's chest, but once again, Duo turned to the side and avoided the strike. Before Heero could withdraw his sword, Duo struck the handle of the kendo stick downwards, its shattered edge of a few inches stabbing the red rose in full bloom on Heero's chest.

~*~

"He was defeated."

"Yes."

"Was it by luck?"

"Perhaps, or perhaps not. Come, let's leave now, Noin."

"Yes, Zechs."

~*~

Duo stepped up off of Heero, leaving the Japanese boy laying on the ground in disbelief. The red rose petals clouded over his chest, while one rested upon his cheek. Relena slowly began to make her way towards the two Duelists, her hands still resting upon her lap, calmly. As Heero saw her coming, he leapt to his feet instantly and reached out towards her.

"WHY did you-"

The Sword of Dios in Heero's hand began to grow brightly. He stopped as he watched it fiercely. Gradually, it began to disappear from his hand, leaving only it's fading light. As soon as it had vanished, Heero lifted both his hands and looked at them. The Sword of Dios was gone from his hands.

"The... Sword." he mumbled. Relena walked up to Duo and took his hand into hers.

"Are you all right," she smiled up at him, "Lord Duo?"