Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Stakes and Gundams ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still the same.
I'm moving this from the buffy crossover section on ffnet to the Gundam one; I seem to get more readers in that one.
I'm saying that GW happens about 300 years after Buffy. So that makes Xan about 322 or so.
 
Chapter 3
 
 
“So, what do you do for a living?” Duo asked his new neighbour as he watched him move the last few boxes inside. He had tried to help but Xander had taken one look at him and told him to sit.
 
“I work for a historical society part time. I've been thinking of heading back to school though. You?”
 
“Sort of in between jobs at the moment.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Yeah, I got bored and decided to quite.” Xander raised an eyebrow but didn't comment. Not like he had room to say anything, he hadn't worked for a `historical society' since the second council was wiped out two hundred years ago. These days he worked for an ex-private investigator with a major sun allergy. Although he was actually thinking of going back to school. He noticed Duo try to start unpacking a box and wince from the corner of his eye so he quickly grabbed the box off him.
 
“I told you I can do it, sit back down before you hurt yourself. You look like you lost an argument with a truck. You need any painkillers?”
 
“Nah, I'm fine. It was more an argument with a bunch of muggers. But I'm okay now, just a little sore sometimes.”
 
“Let me know if you need anything. I'm a pretty light sleeper and I really don't mind running errands if you need something.” Xander grinned at Duo.
 
“I already have a bunch of friends at my beck and call but thanks for the offer.”
 
“Duo?” Duo turned to Xander.
 
“See what I mean.” He grinned and then turned to the open hall door and raised his voice.
“In here Heero.” He smiled at his one time partner as the other man looked in the door.
“Hey Hee-chan, this is my new neighbour, Xander. Xander this is my best friend Heero.” Xander approached him and held his hand out.
 
“Nice to meet you.”
 
“Hn. You should be resting.” Heero ignored Xander and kept his attention on Duo.
 
“I am, every time I try to help Xander parks me right back on the couch.” Duo was still smiling but Heero remained tense.
 
“Hn.” Duo shook his head, Heero had improved but only around people he trusted.
“Time for your meds.”
 
“Fine.” Duo sighed.
“See ya later Xander.” Duo grinned at the other man and Xander smiled back.
 
“Bye Duo, nice meeting you Heero.” Xander shut the door behind the two and lent against it. That boy really needed to thaw out. But the concern in his eyes when he looked at Duo was genuine. So maybe it was just strangers he was like that around? Hopefully he wouldn't ask too many questions, this job was hard enough as is because of Duo's annoying ability to sense him. Xander suddenly gasped and doubled up, clutching his stomach in pain. He'd been so busy lately he'd forgotten what tonight was. He waited the pain out before straightening and heading for the phone he had to warn the others he'd be out tonight. But he never made it to the phone as the pain hit again and he collapsed to writhe on the floor in agony, barley able to think.
 
----------------
Duo moaned in his sleep, tossing fitfully as strange images flashed through his mind. He was sweating, his braid half undone and his hair matted to his face as he fought against the sheets that had managed to become tangled around his body. He suddenly jerked awake, panting for breath and staring wildly around the room. He could have sworn he heard someone scream in pain. After waiting and hearing nothing he untangled himself and staggered to the kitchen for some water. He drank two glasses of the cold liquid before turning back to his bedroom. He shook his head as the room spun a little; he really hated medication and couldn't wait till he'd finished the prescription. He stumbled into the couch as the room tilted, frowning as his vision began to swim. Okay, this was not normal. Those were his last thoughts as he collapsed, half on the couch, half on the floor.
 
-----------------
He looked up at the figure that was half hidden by the shadows, it hurt to even breath let alone move but still he fought his body to raise a hand to the figure.
 
“Please. Help me.” He whimpered, begging for the stranger to do something, anything, to make the pain stop.
“Please.” He didn't care if the stranger killed him; he just wanted it to stop.
 
------------------
Duo stared at the shadowed lump, writhing on the floor in agony. The shadows hid his features but somehow he knew it was a he. He could tell the moment his presence was noticed. A trembling arm was raised towards him and a pain filled voice begged him for help. He couldn't stand hearing such pain in the voice so he forced himself forward, reaching out to take his hand. The closer he got the harder it became to move but he pushed on, fuelled by the pained whimpers the other male was emitting while obviously holding back screams. Just as he thought he couldn't move any further their finger brushed and he pushed forward, clasping a trembling hand in his own. He collapsed to his knees but crawled forward until he could pull the man into his arms, rocking them gently.
 
“I've got you, it's alright.” He held the shaking figure tightly, even holding him like this he couldn't make out any features. The shadows were simply too thick.
 
“Hurts, make it stop.” The voice panted into his shirt, clutching at him as if he'd disappear if the other let him go and who knew, maybe he would.
 
“How? How do I make it stop?” He asked, willing to do almost anything to help the shaking figure in his arm.
 
Duo started, falling fully to the floor and gasping in pain as his stitches pulled. He lay on the floor for a few minutes, staring up at the ceiling. Either those were the weirdest antibiotics ever or something else was going on here. He staggered to his feet and into the bedroom, collapsing onto his bed. A quick glance at the clock showed it had been three hours since he had gone to get a drink but he didn't remember falling asleep. He curled up under the covers, frowning in thought. Ever since he woke up in the hospital weird things had been happening. First there was… the thought trailed off. What had happened that he knew something weird was gong on? Nothing weird had happened in the hospital, had it? He yawned as his eyes began sliding shut, he'd think about it in the morning.
 
----------------
Xander dragged himself up off the floor, body aching fiercely. He frowned as he staggered to the phone. Something had been different last night. But what? He couldn't remember, he never could fully recall what happened on those nights but he knew something had been different. Something that for the first time in three hundred years left him with a strange feeling, hope. He shook his head to clear it, he needed to call Angel, let him know he had been indisposed last night and then have a shower, at least a bottle of pain killers and then come up with a reason for showing up next door. If anything had happened to Duo because he'd been stupid enough to forget about last night he'd never forgive himself. For the first time since Jesse he felt that maybe he could have a real friend in another male. One not based on their fighting the good fight or being pushed together through female friends.
 
TBC…
Sorry its so short but this was the best place to leave it.