Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Stakes and Gundams ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
So some more of what has happened to Xander has been revealed. Any guesses? I figure I'll do a flashback at some point but it probably won't be for a while. Glad people like.
 
Chapter 4
 
Xander slipped unseen through the crowds, diligently following Duo as he wandered the streets. He was still aching from three nights ago and was really wishing Duo would just stay home. He hated feeling pain, any other wound would have been healed in minutes and he hadn't been sick since he was mortal. But the pain from those nights always lingered for days, sometimes weeks and he had the feeling it was going to be weeks this time as payback for whatever had happened differently. He'd been tired before his `attack' now he was exhausted. There was a reason he lived with Angel and Spike and not in his own apartment, it took too much energy. If this job took too long he was going to be dead by the end of it, not that he could die but he knew what he meant. Xander chuckled and shook his head slightly at his own thoughts, dodging a lady struggling with a squalling infant. He watched as Duo slipped into the Preventers Office building and bit back a groan, it was going to be a pain avoiding getting knocked into in there. Sometimes he really hated his life.
 
----------------------------
“Hey Fei.” Duo leant in the doorway, grinning at his friend as the other struggled through a huge pile of paperwork.
 
“What are you doing here? You should be at home resting!” He smiled as Wufei turned into a classic mother hen.
 
“I'm fine, bored out of my mind but fine. Can't a guy stop by to chat to an old friend?” He asked innocently. Wufei frowned before steering him to his couch and then going back to shut and lock his door.
 
“Okay, what happened?” Duo sighed; he never could fool Wufei anymore.
 
“I don't know, it's just this feeling that something weird is going on. Three days ago I had a really weird nightmare, strange images. Woke up tied in knots in my sheets so I went and got a drink. Next thing I know it's three hours later and I'm waking up on the floor. There was a man, hidden in shadows, he was in so much pain Fei.”
 
“The medication?” Duo shook his head.
 
“I know that's the most obvious explanation but its not that. I don't know how to explain it but I know. I feel like something weird happened when I was in hospital but then I can't remember anything weird happened. I don't know what to do Fei and …it's starting to scare me.”
 
“Maybe you should talk to Quatre, he may be able to help you work it out.”
 
“I don't want to bother them, Quatre's so busy with his company that he doesn't get much uninterrupted time with Tro anymore. And I can't really imagine talking to Heero about this; he'd probably want to shoot the pharmaceutical company people or something for poisoning me.” Wufei laughed softly.
 
“Sally left this morning for a medical conference. Come stay at my place for a few days, see what happens. We'll go from there.”
 
“You're sure?”
 
“Positive. You're probably just unsettled from the attack but better safe than sorry.”
 
“Thanks Wufei.”
 
----------------------------
Xander followed Duo back out of the building and onto the streets. He hadn't wanted to risk going into the office with him but hadn't counted on them shutting the door so now he had no clue what they had been talking about. If only Duo wasn't so good at sensing him! He felt relieved as they headed back to the apartment, he could really use some more sleep.
 
----------------------------
“Hey Xander!” Xander turned to see Duo coming down the hall and relaxed, he appeared unharmed. He could have kicked himself for losing the younger man the other day.
 
Hi Duo! You've been away? Haven't seen you for a while.”
 
“Yeah. A friend's wife was away so I kept him company for a bit. You finally unpacked?”
 
“Finished yesterday.”
 
“Great, so you you'll be ready for your apartment warming party tonight.” Duo exclaimed with a grin.
 
“Party? What party? You're the only person I know!”
 
“Relax. A few other people from the building, Heero and some of my other friends. Made sure we're all about the same age. It's a great way to get to know people.”
 
“I guess so but I don't have any food or anything.”
 
“Guests bring it. Come on, let's get the place ready.” Before he knew it Xander found himself being dragged into his apartment by Duo.
 
--------------------
He moaned into the others mouth, running his hands over every piece of skin that he could reach. The kiss was heated and frantic, tongues duelling for dominance as hands caressed bare flesh. He moaned again as the mouth moved to nipping and sucking his neck. His hands moved to tangle in damp hair, encouraging his partners' efforts. He relaxed as the talented mouth moved down his chest towards his stomach and then lower. He gasped as a warm mouth moved over him and then.
 
Duo bolted up, breathing heavily. Okay, what was that? That was the third time this week he'd been woken from a dream of a mysterious partner and it was starting to get annoying. One, they never got to finish. Two, he never saw his partners face and Three, well he couldn't think of a three at the moment. He groaned and decided to take a quick, cold shower before starting the day. No point going back to bed now when he knew he wouldn't be getting any more sleep. He stepped under the water and began the involved process of washing his hair. He could probably blame the sound of the water and the shampoo in his ears for not hearing the rooms other occupant. But that didn't stop him. Duo screamed and collapsed against the tiles as what felt like several million volts of electricity hit his body. He tried to fight back but his nerves were fried, all he could do was slide limply to the ground as his attacker knelt in front of him. His sight was blurry so he couldn't make out any features except that it was male. He saw a hand being raised and energy sparking between the fingers. He tried to move, to brace himself for what he knew was going to be a killing blow when he heard the bathroom door being smashed from its hinges and then his attacker was gone. He could vaguely hear the sounds of fighting and then a pained cry but he was starting to lose consciousness. He tried to tense as a figure knelt in front of him but his body refused to respond.
 
“Duo? Duo can you here me?” Xander, his tired mind supplied him with the identity of his rescuer but he couldn't respond as he finally passed out.
 
Xander caught the limp body, reaching up with one hand to turn the water off. He grabbed a towel and wrapped Duo in it before standing and carrying him out of the apartment and into his own. He quickly dried him off and put him in his own bed before leaving and raising the wards he had placed around the apartment. He went back onto Duo's apartment and removed anything odd from the scene before placing a panicked call to the authorities and returning to watch over Duo. He sat on the bed to wait, idly playing with a very familiar ring that he had found on the attackers body. If he hadn't heard Duo's scream through the connecting wall the younger man would be dead. He had to find a better way to keep an eye on him or he would end up dead sooner or later.
 
------------------------
Duo groaned and coughed, his throat was completely parched and he felt like hell.
 
“You finally awake?” He tried to open his eyes and winced at the harsh light. He blearily looked around what was obviously a hospital room before his eyes came to rest on the figure leaning against the near wall.
 
“Xander? What happened?”
 
“I heard you scream through the wall so I kind of broke your door down found you in the shower being attacked. We fought, he lost. I got you out of there and called the cops. That was four days ago. Docs said it looked like you'd suffered a massive electrical shock but they can't figure out how.”
 
“Thanks.” Xander shrugged.
 
“That's what friends are for.” Duo frowned; something was off about the way Xander was acting. He shrugged mentally; he was too tired and sore to figure it out now.
“Get some more sleep, I'll let the doctors know you woke up.” Duo nodded, he was very sleepy all of a sudden. The last thing he saw was Xander smiling gently at him as his eyes slid shut.
 
TBC…