Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Stolen Memories ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four

Heero frowned. His computer display showed a smiling image of Dr Basil Holt. The bio of the man showed that he came from a distinguished family, he excelled at medical school, had become an eminent surgeon at a relatively young age. He had specialised in paediatric heart surgery and had developed a number of new techniques including the "Holt Shunt". Dr Holt had had to give it up after being caught in a blast during the war - a blow to his head had caused trauma induced epilepsy which precluded him from ever being able to safely perform surgery again. After the war he had worked as a Consultant for a little time before branching out into research and a private practice. The man had never been in trouble with the law, ever. No parking fines, speeding tickets, nothing.

Heero sighed, and closed his laptop. Basil Holt was also a friend of Millardo Peacecraft who had initially recommended him for the position of physician to Relena. Millardo had sent a communication stating that he was concerned for Relena's health and wanted nothing but the best for her, she was after all his only living relative. Dr Holt had accepted the position as a personal favour to Millardo.

Lady Une had also personally recommended this man. Lady Une was Heero's commander and had the trust and respect of everyone. So why was he getting this bad gut feeling. He grimaced. Maybe it was because Relena was a little too enthusiastic for the Doctor.

Sally and Wufei had been gone four weeks, and in that time Dr Holt had dismissed all recommendations that Sally had put in place for Relena. Initially Relena had been cautious, but now she was following his program whole-heartedly. Heero had wanted to contact Sally to seek her advice, but Lady Une had forbidden it. Sally and Wufei were in deep cover she said and there was no way he was to put them in jeopardy.

Heero looked across to where Relena was sitting at her desk. Her head was resting on one hand, elbow on the table. She was studying some documents, chewing the top of her pen. Occasionally she would tisk or snort, shake her head and make notes in the margin of the document. Relena was so engrossed in what she was doing, she didn't notice Heero studying her. Heero smiled, a rare smile, enjoying that he could watch her close up without having to meet those blue eyes.

He moved back in his chair, it creaked softly and Relena looked up startled.

"What?" she said, startled to catch him smiling.

Heero stopped smiling, but still studied her.

"You are looking better" he said "Headaches not bothering you?"

Relena grinned and shook her head.

"As much as I respect Sally and Wufei, Dr Holt seems to have done me more good in one week that they did in a couple of months. I certainly feel a lot more energetic!" she laughed "All down to a simple vitamin and mineral deficiency"

"Hmmm" Heero frowned. He didn't like the idea of miracle cures in bottles. Relena's safety was paramount to him and it would be remiss of him not to check and double-check every aspect of her security. And to prevent her being argumentative and possibly becoming upset with him for his suspicions, he would just have to be covert. He would secure a tablet and have it analysed.

Relena smiled at him, then turned back to her paper work. Heero stood and noted that Relena's attention remained on her paperwork. He moved slowly over to small cabinet on which Relena's briefcase sat open. He looked through the window next to the cabinet as if surveying the grounds outside, but his eyes flicked quickly down at the contents of the case. A couple of manila folders marked confidential, some pens, a small packet of peppermints and a little brown bottle containing Relena's vitamin pills.

Heero glanced back at Relena. She was still occupied with her work. Heero moved his body so that the briefcase was shielded from her view. He picked up the bottle and placed it in his pocket, and moved past the briefcase in a carefully choreographed movement.

"Heero?" asked Relena, her voice questioning.

"Hmm?" Heero felt an unfamiliar feeling of guilt and turned to look at her thinking that he had been observed. He kept his expression blank. Relena was shuffling through some files on her desk and wasn't even looking in his direction.

"Have you seen, oh never mind - got it." She retrieved a blue folder that had been hidden under the general clutter of her desk. "I really must get this organised." She muttered to herself.

Heero returned to his laptop and reopened it. The screen hid his hands from Relena's view. He quickly took out the bottle of tablets, opened it and removed one pill, which he slipped back into his jacket. He closed the bottle again and confident that Relena's attention was wholly on her work, he returned the bottle to her briefcase under the pretence of again looking out of the windows surveying the grounds.

In her office, several floors away, Lady Une turned off the video screen that had been monitoring the couple.

"Time to act now, I think…." She grinned, and flicked on her personal secure coms unit. "Heero is getting too close. We need to distract him now." She paused listening to the answer "I will leave it to you then, Sir." She terminated the call and leaned back in her chair smiling with satisfaction

Later that day Heero was irritated and angry. He had just finished a briefing with Lady Une who had informed him of an assassination attempt on Quatre's life on L1. His new temporary assignment was to find out how a bomb had been set in Quatre's personal sanctuary without Quatre's very impressive and enthusiastic security noticing. Heero had protested, but Lady Une had been adamant - he was the only one for the job.

"I know you are worried about Relena." Lady Une had comforted him "But she is in the best possible hands here. I will double the amount of protection that she usually has if it will make you feel better"

It didn't, but orders were orders. And if he wanted to remain a Preventor, then he would have to follow them. Now he had to tell Relena that he was leaving again. He found Relena in the gym, jogging on a treadmill. She was pushing herself, breathing hard, her face rosy with excerption and sweat starting to trickle down the side of her face.

"…. Heero…." she acknowledged him with a smile, which turned into a grimace as she looked at the timer "…five… more…. minutes…."

Heero leaned up against a wall and crossed his arms, content to watch her. She was certainly taking her fitness seriously of late, fifty minutes of aerobic activity each day, followed by weight training and stretching. She seemed to abound with energy. Her pace started to slow as she entered the warm down period. Heero's attention was drawn down to her body which was snugly encased in black lycra leggings and a black lycra crop top that revealed her tight stomach. He started to imagine what it would feel like to put his hands around her waist, pull her body towards him, run his fingers up her spine….

"…Uh..", he looked at the ground, she was just too distracting. "Dam, just keep your imagination away from the mission Yuy" he thought, then frowned remembering that from this afternoon she wasn't his mission.

"What's up" Relena had finished and walked over to him, wiping her face with a towel and sipping from a water bottle "You look angry".

"There has been an attempt on Quatre's life" Heero said bluntly "Une wants me to go and baby-sit him for a while".

"God, is he alright?" Relena asked, looking relieved when Heero nodded. "What happened?"

"There was a bomb" Heero told her "Quatre's security can't work out how his home was infiltrated, apparently they are very worried."

Relena didn't say anything. She caught his hand with her own and held it to her flushed face, looking into his eyes.

"I don't want you to go." she whispered. "I am going to miss you." Heero didn't reply, but didn't take his hand away either. Relena bit her lip. "You do know how much I care for you, don't you Heero." She smiled wistfully as he pulled back startled and Relena let her hand drop down to her side. "Oh, Heero, why do you always run from me - am I that horrible"

Heero felt very unsure of what to do next. He reached out and slowly drew her into his arms and held her tightly.

"Don't be ridiculous." he said, "You know how important you are to me"

Relena pulled away, her eyes now flashing with anger

"Ridiculous am I? No, I don't know how important I am - please tell me Heero" she crossed her arms glaring at him "Am I important as a former monarch, am I important as a minister, or is it because I am your mission".

Heero growled and pulled her back into his arms.

"You are important for all those reasons" he said, holding her tighter as she started to struggle "You are important because you bought peace to this world and the colonies, you are important because you maintain the peace- stop it Relena, let me finish!" Relena stopped struggling and Heero loosened his hold on her, and tilted her head back by pulling her hair gently so he could look into her eyes "Those are all aspects of who you are. You are important because you gave me a second chance - to be human again, to have emotions, to be loved and to love. I have feelings for you Relena, but I cant take priority over the peace, I cant distract you from the job you have to do" he smirked "At least, not yet".

Heero looked distant for a few seconds then looked back at Relena "Promise me something." he said, looking at her intently. Relena nodded "Be careful, Une will assign you the best security she has, but no going anywhere without them"

Relena smiled her agreement "Of course, I promise I will be careful and will not leave them behind."

Heero took a deep breath, and pulled her into his arms, bent his head by hers and whispered in her ear "Will you wait for me?" he asked feeling an insecurity that he had not felt before. "I don't know how long I will be gone, but when I get back-".

Relena pulled back and put her fingers to his lips, making a shushing noise.

"Heero, I will always wait for you."

Heero captured her hand with his and kissed her fingers gently. Then he pulled them away and bent down touching his lips to hers, kissing her softly. When Relena responded the kiss deepened with increasing passion. Relena closed her eyes wrapped in warmth and love, her heart beating more wildly than it did when she exercised. She felt Heero's lips leave hers and when she had opened her eyes again she found he had gone. Sighing deeply, she traced her fingers over her own swollen lips, trying to relive the moment, a tear escaped her eye and trailed down her face.

"Be safe" she murmured. Unknown to her, Heero was also whispering the same two words as he made his way out of the building.