Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Stolen Memories ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Five

As soon as Heero's shuttle had departed earth's atmosphere he sent email to Wufei. The pilots had long since agreed to monitor a secure email account when on missions, so that if any emergencies came up they could be informed even whilst undercover. He smirked as he worked, - what Lady Une didn't know wouldn't hurt her. Heero then contacted Quatre to let him know that he was on his way. Quatre acknowledged his call, but seemed a trifle preoccupied and rather pale.

"I'll have some people pick you up at the terminal" Quatre said "We can discuss details of the incident once you are here"

Heero then contacted Trowa, who expressed surprise at the assassination attempt on Quatre. Heero was also surprised that Trowa had not been informed, after all both Quatre and Trowa lived in the same colony and they were very good friends.

"Interesting" Trowa said, as always brief in his speech "I will not mention that I am aware of what is going on. Keep me informed"

Next to be contacted was Duo. Heero hoped that Duo or Hilde could be persuaded to visit Relena for a while.

"Sorry, buddy, no can do" Duo shook his head. "Une has me knee deep in paper work at the moment, and it would be worth more than my life if I didn't get it finished by her dead line." Duo noticed Heero's grim expression "Une's got the best people looking after the little lady, relax - nothings gonna happen." He tried to be reassuring.

"Hnn" Heero crossed his arms and frowned.

"Look, I'll have a word with Hilde - she is always going on about how she would like to spend some time with Relena, perhaps she can swing some leave" Duo grinned "Can't promise anything, but I'll give it a go."

Heero saw a red light flashing indicating an incoming transmission. He said his thanks to Duo and terminated the call, before accepting the incoming one. The transmission was on a secure line, and when Heero inputted the correct codes he was surprised to see Wufei's face.

"Thought you were undercover" he said raising an eyebrow.

"Hmmf" Wufei snorted "The whole mission so far as been a wild goose chase. We haven't even been able to locate the clan yet. I think Lady Une's informant was less reliable than she thought. What do you want Yui?"

Heero quickly related Quatre's status and it was Wufei's turn to look surprised.

"Someone got a bomb past his security - now that's impressive." Wufei looked serious "And he hasn't informed Trowa about it, that I don't understand."

"Is Sally there?" Heero suddenly asked, pulling out a pill from his pocket and twirling it between his thumb and index finger.

"Not at the moment." Wufei shook his head. "Something you want me to relate to her?"

"I'm not happy about the medication Relena has been put on" Heero held up the tablet "Supposedly a vitamin and mineral tablet. I need to get access to a lab and have it analysed, but based on Relena's behaviour of late I think it may contain stimulants. Can you ask her if she had prescribed anything like that."

"I'll check" Wufei nodded "I suggest that we communicate again in 24 hours."

"Agreed" Heero said, and terminated the call. He placed the pill back in his pocket, and folded his arms over his chest closing his eyes. Time enough for a quick sleep before docking procedures on L1. He cleared his mind of thought, relaxing. He started replaying the last kiss he had with Relena in his mind, analysing each sweet adrenaline forming moment.

…. Relena….

True to his word Quatre had arranged for Heero to be met at the port by a chauffeured limousine. Heero was transported in style to Quatre's mansion, a butler showing him to his room where he was told to wait for Master Quatre's summons. Heero raised his eyebrow. Since when did he have to wait for Quatre.

Heero opened his laptop and started another search on Dr Holt. Perhaps there was something he had missed. While the search was progressing, he typed a brief email to Relena letting her know that he was now at Quatre's in case she had to get him urgently.

An hour after Heero had arrived the butler knocked on his door and asked Heero to follow him. Heero secured his laptop before following the servant down the stairs. He was led to a spacious office in which Quatre was sitting behind a large desk and the head of Quatre's security was sitting in one of the comfortable armchairs in front of it.

"Heero" Quatre stood up and shook his hand "Sorry to keep you waiting but I had Colony business. Lady Une has informed me that you are to investigate the bomb. I hope you can come up with more than Rimu has"

Rimu, the security chief, had the grace to look embarrassed.

"Well, I have to admit it is a complete mystery to us just how the devise got past our security and was placed undetected in Master Quatre's office." Rimu shook his head "The dam thing wasn't even small, the unit looked to be bigger than a brief case. Someone has amazing skills at smuggling to pull this off"

"Hmmm" Heero had sat down in the chair next to Rimu "I would have said that your security was the very best there is. I was surprised that this occurred. I take it that you haven't gone public on this".

Quatre shook his head. "No" he said, "That would be a mistake. It would give the impression that we are vulnerable."

"Seems to me you are." Heero smirked at Quatre's expression. "Anyway, to work. Let's start on security footage"

Heero frowned. In two days of searching through tapes, sifting through the rubble of Quatre's office, interviewing security and checking computer systems, he had come up with absolutely nothing. Heero had tried to consult with Quatre on a number of occasions, but each time he was politely informed that Quatre was busy and would talk to him later. Heero had stopped working the fifth time he was informed that Quatre was otherwise occupied.

Heero had then checked to see if Relena had replied to his email to her. He found that she hadn't even opened it. Heero felt immediate concern, as that was not like Relena. He initiated a call to Relena's office. Her secretary answered and informed Heero that Relena was busy and would talk to him later.

Heero terminated the call annoyed. He sent email to Wufei who had not been in contact since the shuttle call, and then called Duo. An answer phone message played with a cheerful Duo waving saying that he wasn't in and please leave a message. Heero did leave a message, a death glare of the finest calibre. He terminated the connection and sighed. It just wasn't his day.

A knock at his door interrupted his musing. Heero, always cautious, checked his gun tucked in the back of his trousers, and slowly opened the door. Rimu nodded and walked in without waiting for an invitation. He quietly moved to the centre of the room and placed a device on the table and activated it. Heero hid his surprise as he recognised it as a device that would interfere with anyone trying to monitor speech and activity within the room.

"I suggest you use this from now on" Rimu said abruptly "Master Quatre has ordered that transmissions from your room be monitored" Rimu took a deep breath looking ashamed "Master Quatre is not himself."

That got Heero's interest. He shifted his hand away from his gun.

"Explain" he said.

Rimu shook his head "It is hard to define. But he doesn't seem to care about his people as he once did. He has cancelled all meetings with Master Trowa and Miss Dorothy, the two people he has always demanded that are admitted as soon as they call. He has changed the policies that he supports in the council."

"He advocates pacifism" Heero interrupted.

"No, not now. He has even decided not to sign the Martian Trade Agreement in its final form" Rimu shook his head "He is just not acting like himself."

"Did he suffer a head injury in the blast?" Heero asked, thinking that may be the cause of his altered behaviour.

"No, no" Rimu shook his head "He was no where near the blast, he suffered no injury at all."

Heero was again surprised. He had assumed from what Lady Une had told him that Quatre had been very lucky to survive. What Rimu said next stunned Heero into complete silence.

"Master Quatre changed when Lady Une came to visit him a couple of weeks ago".

Rimu had let himself out after that again cautioning Heero to use the dampening field at all times. Heero has sat and stared at the device for a full five minutes.

Lady Une … Quatre … what the hell was going on here?

Beeps from his laptop indicating an incoming call roused him from his musings. Heero half hoped it was Relena returning his call, but…

"Wufei" Heero acknowledged "Not going so well, eh?" Wufei was holding a compress to a bruised face and glared back at Heero.

"I have had better days Yuy." He said grimly. "We walked into a trap today, barely made it out. Somehow, they knew we were coming. We were set up."

"Sally?" Heero asked, and saw Sally peer over Wufei's shoulder giving a smile.

"I'm fine" She said "Wu-chan here caught most of the flack, and I apparently run faster than he does!"

"Can't understand how they knew we were coming." Wufei shook his head.

"Have you reported in yet?" asked Heero

"No, we were going to contact Une next." Wufei winced as Sally took away the old compress and replaced it with a new one.

"Don't" Heero said

"What?" Wufei's eyes flashed open, startled.

"Something is going on, and I think Une is involved." Heero said. He went on to relate what Rimu had said about Quatre and his inability to contact Relena. "Une has also got Duo running rings with paper work" he finished. Wufei smirked.

"Wufei said you were concerned about Relena" Sally said and Heero nodded "I cannot breach patient confidentiality, but I can tell you that I didn't prescribe her vitamin and mineral supplements and I am surprised that a doctor would. Have you had the tablet analysed yet?"

Heero shook his head.

"Try and get it done soon, Wufei and I will meet you on L1 in a couple of days." Sally said

"What?" Heero and Wufei asked together.

"Wufei, we have been set up." Sally said calmly. "Une wanted to get us away and she succeeded. I suspect that she decided that she didn't want us back. Now she has got Heero away. Why? I intend to find out. If that bitch wants a bullet in my head, I intend to find out the reason why."