Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Dreams are Made of This ❯ Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sweet Dreams are Made of This

By Panchan

Okay, I guess this is an AU fic… I dunno, whatever. Anyway, you're going to see some resemblance's to Fox's Dark Angel sitcom and a friend of mine says that it's a lot like Akira (I wouldn't know as I've never seen or read any of it), so I'm just letting you know I did draw on DA for inspiration. This story goes into explain why Heero can live through all of the crap that's happened to him and stuff like that. For all of you Relena and Hilde loves, I'm sorry. I like Relena and all, but I have absolutely no respect for the child, and as for Hilde- I respect her a lot; I just don't like her. So in this story you're going to get a bit of Hilde bashing and a I might jab a little fun at Relena, but I'm not going to go overboard. Also, I'm a huge Trowa X Quatre fan, so yes this story does have yoai in it. Oh yeah, and Heero's going to have a slight personality difference but it's hard to explain why, you'll get it if you read the story of course! ^.-

Well, not that that's over, enjoy!

PART I

Pictures danced behind his eyelids; black and white pictures of horror and depression. These pictures, his dreams, he hoped were not reality though they seemed all too familiar to him - especially the little girl.

In the dreams he was in a small, though heavily armed, fortress with five children. But these children were unlike any others' they were, in a word, like him. And of them, the youngest held the most mystery. The others he had no problem identifying with, although at their young ages they all seemed like middle aged adults.

The eldest, an eight-year-old boy called Trinton by the children and S-1 by their teachers, took the place of a father figure toward the group. In his eyes, he was directly responsible for the well being of the others and whatever actions they took. In a way, the boy reminded him of Trieze.

Below him was seven-year-old Holly (S-2), the "elder sister" and nursemaid. She was driven to see that her "siblings" were well taken care of. When they were sick she would care for them, when they cried she would cover for them and make sure the grown-ups never knew because in this place crying was considered a weakness.

Between her and the six-year-old Timber there should have been another child, as Timber was also called S-4. However, he thought he knew were S-3 went, since in the dream every seemed able to see him and speak to him. The times when the dreams included sound where the freakiest to him, because when someone spoke to him he could hear himself answer unwillingly from his lips, in the voice of a small child. These thoughts scared him, however, and he never lingered on them too long.

Timber wasn't so far a shot from himself, actually, personality based. The young boy preferred to be alone and usually slept while the others stayed awake to talk during the night. Timber obviously held no value in himself and was I intent on putting out his spark of life as soon as possible.

After him came six-year-old Dorin, a happy little child that reminded him of Quatre. Dorin never wanted to hurt anything and because of such a personality flaw, the teachers took to berating him every chance they got. These children, whom were being trained as assassins did not need sentiments like that "holding them back."

But that last little child, the five-year-old S-6, Witch, she was the one who caught his attention the most. The girl was a mystery that confused, irritated, and attracted him all at the same time.

Each day, he knew, the children went through extensive, grueling training' usually under the watchful eye of a sinister looking man called the Doctor.

The Doctor was a tall, lanky, man in which you could see every bone in his body. Much was he like a walking skeleton that he scared the children as nothing else short of apocalypse would! A wild mess of white hair crowned the old man's head, the bangs hanging slightly over the large lens' through which he watched the world.

During the day the children only got three chances to talk - only two of which were officially allowed, however. The first was during lunch, the second during dinner and the third unauthorized time was after lights out when they would have unhindered conversation.

He felt sorry for these children; this soon-to-be assassin force. So desperately did he want to help them that he began to question his own sanity, after all, it was only a dream.

~

Heero woke drenched in the cold of his own sweat. For a moment he sat breathing heavily in the bed, shaking off the last remnants of the dream before he fell back onto the mattress. His breathing slowly eased as he stared at the familiar off-white ceiling. Those dreams he thought irritably, those damned dreams again…

Ever since the Mariemaia incident two months ago, the dreams that had plagued him off and on through his life had begun to become more frequent, until, finally, they decided to stay permanently. Now that they came every night, they began to increase their intensity and weird-factors. So bad were they, in fact, for the past week he probably had had less than fourteen hours of sleep. Odin… Odin was the dream… he was a teacher? On of their teachers… Heero pondered as he lay there. Ironically, his clock radio's alarm went off at that moment and the oldie song "Sweet Dreams" began to play.

"Sweet Dream are made of this?" the seventeen-year-old mused aloud, as he had recently taken to doing when alone, "I really don't think so." In one fluid motion he turned off the offensive noise and swung out of bed.

Through a door he traveled, into the apartment's bathroom and began to draw the water for a shower. Once he was in, he placed his forehead against the cool shower tile, letting the hot water cascade down his body as he tried to clear his mind.

Witch's face still haunted him; that cute, childish smile on the tiny Chinese face filled his vision as he attempted to understand why she was so important to him. The others, including himself, would all call her Little Sister or, at times, Little Dragon. Those were terms of affection and he knew they al loved the strange little girl, but for some reason he seemed to be closer to her than anyone else.

In that past night's dream, he had held her while she cried after having an especially disturbing nightmare, as the poor thing was wont to have them. For some reason this didn't seem odd to him, even though he usually detested being close to anyone, even Relena. Maybe it was because she really was like a sister to him.

The answering machine going off roused him from his reverie. "You've reached the Autab residence, please leave a message." The electronic voice wheezed before Duo's replaced it.

"Yo, Heero! Man, you have got to get down to the capitol," the braided pilot rambled. Meanwhile, Heero turned off the water and got out wrapping a towel around himself before rushing out to pickup the phone- not that he needed to rush as this is Duo we're talking about. (Though I dare say that if Duo were in a towel I'd be rushing… uhh why the heck did I just write that? Whatever, back to the story)

Just when Duo was getting to why Heero needed to come, the former boy punched the Pickup button on the videophone console.

"What," he snapped, trying not to drip water over the buttons.

"Oh, hey dude! … You're… in a towel… Whatever. Anyway, you have got to get over here! Some Preventors stumbled across this old lab on an island off the coast of Africa and there's this huge investigation going on."

"What for? It's just an old lab," Heero commented, wondering why he got out of the shower for this.

"I don't know! They refused to tell me," the other pilot looked faintly annoyed but mostly, Heero noted with masked amusement, offended, "They want your help, though, and asked me to contact you."

"Hm," Was the only reply duo got before the screen went black.

"Sheesh, he could be a little nicer once in awhile," Duo complained while hanging up his end.

Sally Po skimmed over the slightly moldy documents in the binder, puzzled at their meanings. So far it looked only like a recording of children's deaths, but there were number and letter tags that couldn't be made sense of. "Well, nothing here," She told her partner who was across the room.

Wufei grunted to show he had heard her before he went back to inspecting the back wall of the laboratory's underground room. As he ran his fingers along the back wall some dirt was knocked loose and a long crack was revealed in the wall. "Hey woman, come look at this."

"My name is Sally, not woman," The elder lady replied as she came to see, "A crack. Obviously man-made… a door?"

"Possibly," Wufei continued knocking the dirt off the wall until a large metal panel was revealed. Along one edge an indention in the wall's surface marked a handle.

Wufei stared at it for a few moments before turning around and heading for the stairs to the top, "We had better go get some of the others before we open it."

"I'll finish looking through these files while you're gone, then."

Above them, a motorcycle flew through the open gates, and parked in front of the old lab. Heero remained half-sitting on the bike looking up at the building, however. It can't be… This place, this hellhole, was the place visited every night, he was sure of it. The front of the building he could remember clearly, reconstructing only a few parts of it.

Two stories tall it stood, it's many windows baring out the world with the gundanium bars that covered them, the perimeter of the compound surrounded by eleven foot tall concrete walls that once had coils of barbed wire at the front. The front gates used to be forever shut, tall and foreboding with now collapsed guard towers on each side.

The front doors, now nothing but a pile of burnt wood, use to be the only patch of colour, if you could call it that, in the whole place. The deep, dark brown wood with the eerie words "the children are the light to our future" carved into them.

Looking around the courtyard, he saw what he knew he would. The remnants of what use to be a large dirt track that went around the building, a pit in the corner that was now half filled with leafs, and the small piece of equipment that actually would look normal in a park or a child's back yard - a jungle-gym.

Yes, he knew this place; unfortunately he knew this place. Now all he wanted to do was to get out of here. Before he could turn around, however, he heard a familiar voice call him, "Heero."

Heero cursed his luck and got off the bike, managing to keep his face safely neutral, "Trowa."

The elder boy walked out of the laboratory, stopping on the threshold. "I'm glad you could make it. Wufei and Sally just found something new if you'd like to come with us?"

Heero nodded and followed Trowa inside. On their way down the stair- stairs that Heero knew all-too-well lead to the Doctor's office- Trowa explained the situation.

"The agents who found this place where originally sent to check out a supposed sighting of MS out here."

"Sighted by who?" Heero interrupted, knowing that this was the only facility on the island.

"An aircraft headed for Victoria Base," Trowa replied, "We never found the MS, but upon entering the vicinity, the two reported hearing screaming and other noises. They managed to get inside the gate of the facility but were knocked unconscious by something. Neither of them can remember anything other than getting into the gate and seeing a lot of people running about and a large fire."

"So you're trying to find out what this place was to make sure that it's not threat," Heero stated.

"Precisely."

"And you are here for…?" Heero asked, knowing the other boy wasn't a Preventor.

"A different part of the mystery. It seems some person, calling himself the Doctor, has been making terrorist threats to several officials including Relena," Trowa watched for a reaction to that, but was rewarded with none, "From some of the things we've found, this place is linked to him. We just don't know how."

"I see."

" So?"

"Mission Accepted."

END PART I

::sigh:: poorly written… and confusing… oh well, I'm gonna continue anyway! Hehehe, see you all next chapter!