Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ The Mayor's Representative ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Six: The Mayor's Representative

What's on the agenda for today, Angie? Relena asked her secretary as she rushed into the office.

Press conference at eleven, lunch with the commissioner at twelve thirty, and then you have your weekly meeting with Chief Une at two. Angie replied, looking at the day planner on the desk.

Well, it's nine thirty-five now, so I'd better get as much paperwork done as I can before lunch. Relena settled herself behind her desk and pulled out the contents of her inbox. She sighed as it mostly consisted of disparaging comments about the Tank Police. And not one reasonable suggestion as to an alternative. I guess I should be grateful otherwise my brother would be out of a job. She was about to check her email when Sylvia Noventa, one of the reporters attending the press conference and Relena's best friend in high school, walked in.

Hey Relena! Sylvia greeted cheerily.

Sylvia! How are you? Relena smiled, getting up to hug the other woman. What brings you to this den of snakes?

I'm supposed to interview the Deputy Mayor about the Aerospace Tax Initiative but he had to cancel so I decided to come find you. Are you busy?

Nothing that can't wait. Why?

Well, I haven't seen you since I got back from that stint in India and I thought we could play catch-up.

Sounds good to me. I have two whole hours to kill and I can't think of a better way to do it. How about we go to the park?

Two hours? Oh yeah, the press conference. Why do you have to be there?

Why else? Relena rolled her eyes. I'm one of only two female representatives for His Honor the Mayor. It would be bad publicity if I didn't show up. Sylvia laughed.

It was still rather early so the park was mostly occupied by joggers and people walking their dogs. The two young women purchased coffee from a nearby café and sat down on a park bench.

They spent the time talking about the latest events in each other's lives (mostly Sylvia's trip to India to cover the opening of a women's university there, and how when she got back she found out that her apartment had burned down), and reminiscing about the past. They would have stayed there all day talking if Relena's pager hadn't gone off.

Time to go already? Relena groaned, looking at the device in disgust. Where did the time go?

I know. It feels like we just sat down. Sylvia stood up, cleared her skirt and looked into her purse. Here's my card, it has my new phone number on it. Give me a call later and we'll finish this conversation, okay?

Sure thing. Relena nodded, talking the card. Well, let's get to that press conference.

The press conference was an annoyance Relena could have done without. The letters that made a daily appearance on her desk came to life in the form of the reporters asking what the mayor was doing about the Tank Police's destructive tendencies. Of course, the mayor did an excellent job of avoiding answering the questions directly, but afterwards he made a list of things he wanted Relena to rant about to Chief Une that afternoon.

Lunch with the commissioner was even worse. The middle-aged man kept making lewd comments to the waitress and leering suggestively at her instead of discussing the budget like he was supposed to.

Now Relena was standing in front of the headquarters of the 195th trying very hard not to look irritated. At least I can go home early today. Maybe I'll call Sylvia and bitch about today. She stepped inside and immediately had to duck an incoming soccer ball. Immediately following said ball was a blonde-haired young man with quite possibly the cutest scowl she'd ever seen.

I swear, you guys are so immature sometimes! he yelled over his shoulder. Sorry about that, miss. My colleagues seem to be experiencing a third childhood.

Oh that's quite all right. Relena replied, picking up the ball and handing it to the young man. I've come to expect this sort of thing whenever I come here Officer

Winner. The young man said, extending his free hand. Quatre Raberba Winner. And you are?

Relena Peacecraft.

You're Sergeant Peacecraft's sister? The mayor's representative? Quatre was impressed. Relena wasn't much older than he was.

You know my brother? Before Quatre could reply, four other young men came bounding into the lobby.

Winner, give us the ball back! the Chinese officer demanded. Barton must experience justice!

Not a chance Wufei. Quatre sniffed. You guys have brained enough people for one day.

It'll never be enough. The tallest one said, mock-evilly.

Trowa!

We can always go back to chucking live grenades into the cafeteria if you want. The messy-haired one smirked.

Heero!! the poor blonde moaned. Why do you guys insist on getting us all into trouble? Relena started to giggle.

Hey, who's the lady? the braided one asked. If you got hit, blame Trowa. He's the one who threw it.

It wouldn't have if you hadn't ducked, Duo. Trowa retorted. Quatre sighed
dramatically.

Duo, Heero, Trowa, Wufei, this is Representative Peacecraft. Representative Peacecraft, these are Officers Maxwell, Yuy, Barton, and Chang.

Nice to meet you all. Relena smiled, shaking their hands.

Sorry about the ball, Ms. Representative. Trowa said, sheepishly.

Just call me Relena. And don't worry about it. You didn't hit me so no harm done. At that moment, Andy came running up.

Oh, there you are Representative hey guys.

Hey Andy. The five officers said.

Ms. Peacecraft, I came to tell you that the Chief's been called away on urgent business and she had to postpone the meeting until tomorrow afternoon. Andy said.

Well I guess it can't be helped. Relena sighed, mostly from relief. After the last two meetings she really wasn't up for this today. I suppose I'll go home then.

But we were just getting to know each other. Duo pouted. I know, why don't you play dodgeball with us? Relena laughed, Quatre looked at Duo like he'd sprouted an extra head, the others simultaneously raised their eyebrows (which
was quite funny to see) and immediately began sizing Relena up.

I'm afraid I'm not dressed for the occasion. She gestured to her beige power suit.

You can use one of my gym outfits, or if you prefer, we can raid the storage room where they keep the spare uniforms. Relena laughed again.

Okay! Why not.

Are you two serious? Quatre protested.

I know I was. Relena grinned.

But

Just because I work for a stuffy windbag doesn't mean I have to be that way too. Besides, what's a little immaturity now and then?

Cool! Now we can have teams! I call 'lena, and Wufei! Duo cheered.

Let the games begin. Heero smirked. Quatre sighed in defeat.