Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Evil Schemes Afoot ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Sixteen: Evil Schemes Afoot

Relena sat placidly on the stage next to the vice mayor as the mayor addressed the crowd before them. She had resisted the urge to yawn at least a dozen times already. Sure the new health budget was important, but the truth of the matter was that the actual explanation was quite boring and could easily have been explained in half as many words.

..and not only will this vastly improve the quality of our current health care plans, but it will also benefitthe mayor droned self-importantly.

Why am I even here?Relena thought testily. Ah yes I'm here to look pretty and keep the women's groups from complaining that there wasn't any female representation.As she stifled yet another yawn she let her eyes wander across the sea of faces. There's Lu Ki Lu from the Domino PostJustin Thyme from The ScopeMary Whethers from the CarollerHope Ingmadd fromHey! What's that guy up to?

Relena had caught sight of a rather desperate-looking man ducking into a side-door. Must be looking for the bathroom

For health is wealth and a healthy population is a happy and enriched population! the mayor enthused, getting applause from the press. I will now open the floor to questions.

Oh Godwe could be here all day.

Lady Une, Chief of Tank Police at the 195th, was experiencing aggravation of a different sort. Right now she had the displeasure of going through the latest batch of police complaints and damage reports. There weren't as many on her desk as there usually were, but that didn't make it any less testing. Paperwork was a nuisance she could definitely do without. She was beginning to miss her days riding tanks and chasing criminals. A knock at the door made her pause briefly before growling, Come in. Andy stepped in carrying a small p ackage.

This came in for you a few minutes ago. He said, handing over the bundle to Une. No idea who it's from. No return address. We ran a scan on it just to make sure; no explosives or hazardous materials. It appears to be a vid e o disc.

Hmm Une hummed. Thank you. Andy nodded curtly and exited the office.

Back at the press conference, the mayor was wrapping up the Q & A session (much to the relief of his bored staff and aides). Ladies and gentlemen of the press, thank you for your time. Any further questions can be sent to the district health advisor. He made his way off of the stage escorted by two security guards and trailed by his staff. Various members of the press tried to get a few more questions in but they waved off. What happened next only took a few seconds but to everyone in that room it felt like several hours had passed.

The door Relena had observed earlier opened violently, knocking one of the guards to the ground. A hand shot out and grabbed the mayor by his lapels and into the door; it slammed behind them. Before anyone could follow, the door on the opposite end of the room opened just enough to allow three sub-machine gun barrels to poke through. Everyone dove for cover as a shower of bullets sprayed into the room.

The few police officers that had been in the room were the first to stand, immediately rushing to the doors in hopes of catching a glimpse of those responsible. One of them quickly yelled to the civilians to call the police and the paramedics.

Relena was helped to her feet by the vice mayor; she had hidden under the refreshment stand so she was unhurt. Most of the other people present could not say the same. The shots had been fired at random but a lot of them ricocheted off of the various ornaments in the room; some hit people, the rest either broke glass or buried themselves into the walls. Has anyone called an ambulance, Roland? she asked.

Yes, they should be on their way. Roland, the vice mayor, replied. In the meantime we should try and keep everyone calm until they get here.

The media is going to have a field day with this

Sergeant Peacecraft! Just where do you think you are going?! Une demanded as the aforementioned male barreled past her in the corridor.

There's been a shooting at the convention center and the mayor's been kidnapped! he yelled back to her.

Let the regular police handle it, it's not under our jurisdiction!

My sister is there, ma'am! Milliardo protested. I have to make sure she's okay! She's all I've got left in the world!

Go then, but take somebody with you!

Thanks! Une allowed a slight smile to grace her features as the man dashed down the hall before continuing on her way.

In a darkened room

Did you get him? one figure asked another.

Yes, we have him in the blue room. The other replied. He's not very happy.

I'll admit that this was ratherabrupt, but I must make sure that my plans go through smoothly.

Shall I bring him in?

Yes.

When Milliardo arrived on the scene with Quatre, the paramedics were taking the injured and the dead away and the police were questioning the witnesses. As he was still in uniform, he was allowed up to the room where the conference had been held. Relena? Relena!? he called.

Milliardo? a tired, but hopeful voice called back. Milliardo rushed over in that direction to find Relena and a distraught young woman sitting on the edge of the stage.

Thank God you're all right! he sighed after taking in her appearance. She was somewhat disheveled and her skirt was ripped, but she was otherwise okay.

Just shaken up and very drained. Would you take me home, please?

Sure thing. Milliardo put his arm around her shoulders and led her towards the exit.

Quatre had decided to stand near the entrance and gather information. The incident may not have fallen under tank police jurisdiction, but it was always good to be informed of situations such as these just in case they eventually did. When Sergeant Peacecraft came out with his sister he asked how she was.

She's fine, just really shaken up. The older man replied. You drive, I don't think I should let go of her right now. Quatre nodded and walked with them to Milliardo's car.

Elsewhere, shadowy figures continued to scheme in a dimly lit room.

You do realize that your actions require the acceleration of our plans?

Naturally, but you needn't worry. We're already way ahead of schedule as it is.

So Tseratopolis is cooperating then.

Not exactly

Not exactly?

True he is doing what we are asking, but it requires a bit of persuasion. We gave him an ultimatum: either make the bombs or we start picking off his family.

So he's working under protest.

Right.

Hmph. Well as long as we get what we want it really doesn't matter. Just make sure he doesn't try anything funny.

I have three of my men watching him at all times. He wouldn't dare nor would he get the opportunity. Enough about that, what are you going to do now my friend?

I intend to enjoy myself. It's been some time since I've been able to take off my mask. Both figures laughed darkly.

Back with the 195th, Duo, Faline, Trowa, Wufei, and Heero were engaged in a game of cup hockey in the hallway in front of Faline's room. They had liberated some brooms from the janitor's closet and a plastic cup from the cafeteria; Trowa borrowed some trashcans from two offices on the floor below for use as goals. Heero was serving as referee; it was Wufei and Faline versus Trowa and Duo. Had Quatre been there it would be three on three; as he had been dragged off by the sergeant however, they had to make do with the group they had.

Q's loosened up lately. Duo said, passing the cup to Trowa.

I think having Faline around is doing him some good. Heero nodded. Faline grinned, stealing the cup from Wufei and heading for the goal.

Thanks. I'm glad I could be of service. She shot but the cup was intercepted by Duo before it could reach it. Seriously though, it wasn't right for a guy his age to be such a killjoy.

You'll get no argument here. Wufei said, then he spotted Une coming down the hallway. Uh oh, crab alert!

I heard that, Officer Chang. Une said, icily. Faline, I need to speak with you; it seems I have a message for you. The young woman in question looked at the four male officers who shrugged in response.

Lead the way. Faline said .