Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Why I’m Here ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I want all of you to do me a favor and warn me if Faline starts turning into a
Mary Sue.

Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Fifteen: Why I'm Here

Faline flipped through the channels feeling very much bored. She'd been in tank police custody for almost two weeks now and she was very much missing the excitement and adventure of the outings with her brother's gang; most of all, she was missing her brother. She had never been away from him this long before, just a day or two; the feeling was unsettling. She flopped onto her stomach and the bed groaned a little, readjusting to the weight shift. Then the door opened, revealing Officer Yuy. Yo. She waved.

You look bored. Heero said.

How very observant of you. Faline quipped, dryly. Have you come to fix that, or are you just here to ogle me?

Ogling you would be mildly entertaining

For you maybe.

For me, definitely but that's not what I came here for.

Then what did you come here for?

Noin figured you would be bored so we were wondering if you wanted to go out for a couple of hours? Faline's eyes lit up.

Is water wet?

Trowa ended up being te one to take Faline out. She had hoped it would've been Quatre so that she could annoy him some more, but the blonde was currently off-duty. So, where do you want to go? Trowa asked her.

Hmm how about the amusement park? I've never been to one before. Faline suggested.

You've never been to an amusement park?

Is there an echo? I just said that. Faline said defensively.

Okay, don't bite my head off. I'm just surprised is all. Trowa said in appeasement. The amusement park it is.

Faline spent most of the trip looking out the window looking pensive. Halfway to their destination, she frowned and eyed Trowa curiously. What? he asked.

Can I ask you something?

Sure.

How did Quatre get to be a tank officer? He sure doesn't look the part, and he doesn't really act like the rest of you guys.

Like the rest of us? What do you mean?

Well from what I've seen there are three kinds of tank officers: the ones with sticks up their asses, like your Chif; the ones that have something to prove, like the Academy brats; and the ones that are completely nuts, everyone else.

I see. Trowa chuckled. And Quatre doesn't fit into any of those categories?

Exactly. Faline nodded. He's too nice to be an Academy brat, he's not strict enough to have a stick up his ass, but he's not loose enough to be as crazy as you and your friends. He acts like a normal person.

Faline, there are no normal people; especially not in the tank police.

Hm. You still haven't answered my question.

To be honest, I'm not completely sure why Quatre joined up. I know a lot of his family were tank officers, and he attended Tank Police Academy, but beyond that I have no idea as to his motives.

I see. Faline said. Okay then, why did you join the tank police? Trowa thought for a moment.

It makes me feel like I'm actually making a difference and enjoy it.

I think I'm gonna need a few more details there, buddy.

It's like this, you go through life doing things but you feel like you're not really contributing to anything; just killing time. You don't particularly like what you do and as the days go on, you don't feel like your really going anywhere (1).

So you joined because you felt like you were at a dead end?</p><p>Something like that. I started out at the Red Commandos. It was a lot of fun but

But what? The Reds make a ton of cash guarding rich people's valuables and like you said it's fun.

Sure it was fun, but you're not really making any difference. Like you said, the Reds guard 'rich people's valuables'. I wanted more than that. I wanted to help as many people as I could, not just the ones who can afford the fee. If you don't have any money, the Red Commandos don't care.

Hmm.

That's the difference between a tank police officer and a Red Commando. I know it doesn't look like it, but a tank officer would do just about anything if it meant the people in this city are safe. We're crazy, but at least we give a damn.

I find that a little hard to swallow considering you guys always seem to be blowing stuff up.

When you make an omelet you've gotta break a few eggs. Besides, even when we're blowing things up we're very careful not to fire when there are civilians in the area; most of which are smart enough to run away when they see a police chase. Buildings and possessions can be replaced, lives can't.

You've got a point there.

What about you? Why are you in a gang?

Technically, I'm not in the gang; my big brother is and I only get dragged into his business because he likes to keep an eye on me. In fact, he's the one that got me the job at the café.

But you were with them when they were threatening Tseratopolis.

Like I said, my brother likes to keep an eye on me. The guy that hired 'em has a nasty habit of kidnapping people and using them as 'insurance' to make sure he gets what he wants. Peter wanted to make sure that didn't happen to me, so when I wasn't at Ricardo's I was with him.

Why was he so sure you'd be safe there? Faline snorted.

Ricardo's is a 'cop café', no crime boss is going to send his goons there unless he wants every cop in the district on his ass.

Ah, stupid question.

Very.

So why is your brother in a gang?

That's a long, sordid story I don't feel like t elling.

Ah.

Although I wish he wasn't. Sure it's exciting sometimes, but I don't like the fact that my only relative is a criminal. Don't get me wrong, he's a really great guy. He's never hurt anyone in his entire life; steal and damage property yes, but never physically harm anyone. He could get a job, I know he could, but he insists that employers won't hire someone like him. Faline sighed, and then looked out the window. Someday I'm going to convince him otherwise

I hope you're right. I'd feel weird having to arrest him after listening to you. Trowa said. Well, it looks like we're here.

The park was bustling with activity and Faline suddenly felt like she was five years old again. It was very hard to decide which ride to go on first. Trowa was very patient, watching her bounce around like a lunatic with amusement.

Two hours into the excursion, Faline learned three things: 1) She had lousy aim and she'd need a hell of a lot of practice if she wanted to get good at shooting games. 2) It's not a good idea to stuff yourself silly before going on a roller coaster. 3) Trowa is evil.

Are you suuure you don't want a chili dog? Trowa drawled, waving the snack in front of her face.

Wuurrgh Faline moaned.

Come on I know you want it

I'm going to get you for this, Officer Barton. Faline said, then covered her mouth and stomach in the universal sign for extreme nausea. Trowa once again waved the chili dog in her face before he took a bite out of it.

Mmmyummy Unable to take it anymore, Faline ran off towards the bathrooms. Trowa followed her at a more sedate pace, munching on the snack. Damn I love my job.

Somewhere in the 195ths headquarters

KABOOM!

Chang! Yuy! Maxwell!

business as usual.



1) That little philosophical blurb is courtesy of my mother who has just finished having a mid-life crisis. At least I hope she's finished; I really don't want to listen to her wonder whether or not what she does i s of any significance again.