Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Off the Case??!! ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Twenty-Two: Off the Case??!!

It would seem that our little diversion worked. Dr. Simms smiled mirthlessly.

But we still need time to transport the bomb. Mr. Evans grunted. I trust you have more than just a moment's distraction planned.

Of course. Mesor? The dark-haired man stood up straight from where he had been leaning on the wall, took out his gun, and leveled it at the man in the corner.

Simms! What are you playing at?! the man demanded.

Mr. Mayor, your help has been invaluable in helping us to bring our plans to fruition, but I'm afraid the only use for you we have now, is as a corpse.

Butbut why?! I fulfilled all my promises to you when you helped me get elected into office! I lowered the police budget, I closed a few precincts and even pushed the incentives you asked for!

And for that we are very grateful, sir. Evans said, half-mocking. Now that we have what we want, we don't need you anymore.

Goodbye, Mr. Mayor. Mesor said, and squeezed the trigger.

It was all over the news that evening. The mayor's remains had been found floating in the river; his legs and arms were stuffed into a plastic bag, torso and legs in two other bags. His head had yet to be located.

The police had no clues as to who had done it or why, but an investigation was already underway and they had a list of possible suspects; mostly tank police chiefs and extremely vocal members of the opposing political parties. However,
they didn't rule out the possibility of some sort of extremist group taking the
mayor prisoner to get information from his before murdering him.

On the afternoon of the following day, the police got their answers.

Noin, Milliardo, and the boys were hanging around the pit when Captain Scot and Chief Une both walked in, grave looks on their faces. Everybody off your butts, we've got trouble. Captain Scot barked.

What's going on, sir? Milliardo asked.

They just found the mayor's head. Chief Une stated quietly.

Well, that's homicide's problem. Someone in the back said.

When the decapitated head is being carried by the lead robot of a group of military issue combat droids, then it becomes a tank police problem. There was a predictable chorus of

WHAT?!!!

The city was put on emergency alert and citizens were literally being herded to shelters as the approaching metallic army seemed to be bent on destruction. The army had been called in and the tank police were to act as support.

So, Heero. Duo asked, as he and the rest of the squad completed their system checks before moving out. Know anything about these combat droids?

They were built mainly to be a walking arsenal. Heero replied checking the sites on his tank. They aren't used often because they have to be pre-programmed beforehand and the programming can't be changed by remote control. The only way to stop them is to either get close enough to manually shut them down when they eventually run out of ammo, or blow them to hell with cannon or missile fire.

If that's the case, how do they tell who the enemy is.

They can't. That's another reason why they aren't used often.

Oooh. Duo flinched.

If you guys are done yapping, Captain Scot interrupted. It's time to move out.

Yes, sir. Duo and Heero saluted.

The 195th was positioned near the city center just in case the military failed to stop the robots. In the end, however, it turned out the extra caution was unnecessary as the army was more than capable of destroying their own robotic
weapons. However, somebody had to clean up the mess

Damn it to hell and back! Captain Scot raged. Let the damned army clean up their own godforsaken mess!

At 195 HQ, Chief Une (well aware of the blow being dealt to the tank police's pride but unable to disobey orders from the mayor's office) was on the phone with the crime lab.

The DBO Fireworks Company? Are you certain? she asked the tech on the other end. We can't afford for there to be any mistake, Nichol.

Yes there is no doubt. Nichol replied. There is a distinct buildup of bacteria in the area where that factory is located and the residue combined with the moisture in the air at night creates a rather unique substance. We've noticed that it only appears near factories and in areas where the bacterial cloud is thickest. DBO is the only factory that is still located within that area.

I see, thank you, Nichol. You've been a great help.

Glad to be of assistance. And he hung up.

Andy! Une called over the intercom. Tell dispatch

The would was quickly sent to Captain Scot and his squad who were more than happy to leave the cleanup effort to the other tank police divisions and the municipal waste company. They raced their tanks through the streets, sirens blaring hoping to make it to the building before any of the criminals had a chance to get away. The stunt they had pulled with the military robots made the situation all that more urgent; who knows what they would do next time.

We're gonna get 'em.Scot grinned to himself. We're gonna get the germaphobic bastards and make them pay for what they've done.

We're approaching the factory, sir. Milliardo said. What's the plan?

Have the large tanks surround the perimeter of the building. I want the spider tanks to climb onto the roof and get ready to rip it open and drop inside. Have the Bonaparte crews go inside and round up the rats.

Yes sir.

Everyone was in position and Captain Scot was just about to give the order to attack when Chief Une's voice crackled over the radio. Abort the operation at once and return to base!

What?! Chief, why?!!

Just do it, or I'll have your ass in a sling!

When they returned to the station, the chief was waiting for them.

All right, Chief. What gives? Captain Scot growled.

The tank police are off this case. Une stated tighly.

Off the case?!! You can't take us off this case! Not now! Not when we're so close!

It wasn't up to me! Une shouted. I don't l ike it any more than you do, captain but I don't have a choice; those are orders from the Vice
Mayor.

But why?! Noin asked.

Une sighed and told them that the people responsible for the robot attacks also claim responsibility for the mayor's death. They are also claim to have kidnapped Tseratopolis and forced him to assist in the creation of the anti-bacterial bomb.

Did they say why they did it? Quatre inquired, quietly.

They want to destroy the bacterial cloud. Une replied.

That confirms it, they are completely nuts! Duo threw up his hands in exasperation. Everyone knows that humans can't survive on this planet without that cloud; we're all infected by the bacteria and the cloud is the only thing that keeps them from mutating into some sort of super virus! Why the hell would they do it.

Blackmail apparently. They are demanding twenty million dollars in cash in one week. If they don't get the money or the tank police interferes in any way, then
they will detonate the bomb. Nobody said anything for a while.

Bastards! Captain Scot roared suddenly, took out his gun, and shot six holes into the wall.

Once he had calmed down, he and the other officers went down to the Pit to try and come to grips with what just happened.

Of all the dirty tricks. Someone groused.

What can we do, though? Our hands are tied. Someone else said. You heard what Une said, they'll blow up the bomb and kill us all if we try to do anything.

No, they'll detonate it if the tank police do anything. Heero said, slyly.

What are you saying? Captain Scot asked, not sure where he was going with that statement.

What we do off-duty is our own business, right?

The assembled tank officers grinned wickedly. They couldn't do anything about the terrorists as tank officers but there was nothing stopping them from do ing anything as civilians.