Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Interlude with the Colwells ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Twenty-Four: Interlude with the Colwell's

Faline sat by her brother's bedside watching him sleep. His condition had improved quite a bit since he had learned that his little sister was safe and sound and mostly in one piece. She had been released back into tank police custody who, in turn, put her under the care of Quatre's father of all people. The reasoning being that nobody would think to look for her at the wealthy businessman's house as no one save for a few members of the tank police and the Colwell siblings, knew that Mr. Winner's only son was a tank police officer.

While at the estate, she had been treated like a member of the family. This was both very comforting and unnerving at the same time. Quatre's numerous sisters had insisted that she borrow whatever she liked out of their closets, and had even given her a few things; Faline wasn't sure if they were treating her like another sister or a charity case.

The housekeeper, gardener, butler, chauffer, and even the cook kept calling her 'Mistress Colwell' even though she has insisted they call her by her given name numerous times. She couldn't get her head around it. She wasn't rich, wasn't in any way part of high society, and her upbringing wasn't what one would call finishing school quality; nothing in her background warranted the title mistress in her mind.

Her parents had died when she was very young and she didn't remember them or the house she had lived in anymore. Peter and she didn't have any other relatives so, rather than get taken to an orphanage, they had escaped the social worker who had come to get them and into the city streets.

They lived in abandoned buildings. Peter would work during the day selling newspapers and washing cars after he took her to the library or the community center. While there, Faline learned to read and write as well as the basics of math and a few sciences. Peter had insisted she attend the workshops the community center had. No need for both of us to be ignorant. He used to say.

Then, one day, Peter got to talking to a couple of men that hung around the local pool hall. They said that they'd give him real money to 'run errands' for them. To his credit, Peter didn't agree right away, but a month later when Faline got sick and he couldn't afford to take her to a doctor, he gave in.

Two years after that, he started his own gang. They were a band of petty thieves; picking pockets and busting up payphones. Faline was kept out of it all even when they were short-handed. Peter didn't want his only living relative going down the same dead-end path he had chosen. He got her a job working at a café; one of the guys he used to 'run errands' for had gone legit and become a cook there. Peter still 'ran errands' on occasion, and sometimes his clients were less than happy with his performance; the café was frequented by police officers, firemen and the like so Faline would be safe from them there.

When the whole business with Tseratopolis started, Faline never imagined she would end up staying with one of the most influential families in the city. She had no idea how to act and all those expensive things made her feel self-conscious.

What would they think of her if they found out about her past? Would they insist the police take her back und their custody? They didn't seem like the type of people to do that, but then again she didn't know them all that well.</p><p>Then there was her infatuation with Quatre. Faline sighed heavily. When the heck had that happened?

// He's a really sweet guy, but I don't know Am I really in love with him or do I just think I am? We met under such strange circumstances // she grinned as she remembered his little tirade at the warehouse. // He's really cute when he's angry or flustered. And he's so much fun to tease // a slight chuckle as the memory of the interrogation room surfaced. He turns the most interesting shades of pink and red. // a giggle.

Wha's so funny? a sleepy voice inquired.

Go back to sleep, Pete. Faline replied.

Can't sleep, there's a lovesick fool laughin' in my ear. Faline blushed at that and smacked him lightly on the arm.

I am not lovesick!

Oh please. Any idiot can see you've got the hots for somebody. Now out with it, who's the lucky guy? Peter demanded.

My, aren't we nosy today.

I'm flat on my back in a hospital bed with nothing but talk shows and those stupid infomercials to watch.

Oh, so I'm entertainment now?

If that'll get you to answer my question, sure. Why not.

Fine, fine. Faline growled. Do you remember the blonde tank officer?

The tall one with the long hair, or the short one that doesn't look like a cop?

The short one.

Him?!

Yes, him. His name's Quatre.

You could do worse I suppose Peter muttered.

Are you saying you don't approve?

Nonot really It's just that, it seems like only yesterday you were learning to spell 'delicatessen' and now

Oh God, you're starting to sound like a dad.

Well, I did kind of raise you.

Yeah you did.

Can't say I did a great job of it, though.

Hey now, don't start that crap again. You did what you could.

Did I really? Peter asked. I always felt like I could've done more, or that maybe I shouldn't have convinced you that we should run away from the social worker all those years ago.

What's done is done. Faline muttered. Anyway, even if we had
gone with her there was no guarantee that we'd be adopted or even that we'd
stay together. Besides, you didn't convince me to do anything; I didn't want
to go with her in the first place. She was taking us away from the only home
we'd ever known.

Not that either of us can remember it.

Look, enough with the doom and gloom. We can't change the past and the future is waiting for us. Besides, we had some good times. Remember when we snuck into the zoo after hours?

And you got so frustrated because you couldn't say 'hippopotamus'!

At least I didn't insist on playing 'who can get who more wet' with the elephants.

If you hadn't have turned off the hose I woulda won!

You do realize how ridiculous that sounds, don't you? Faline laughed.

Yeah, but I'll never stop saying it 'cause it makes ya smile.

There was knock at the door and the nurse came in with a tray of food and medicine.

Visiting hours are almost over, hon. She said.

Aaawww, c'mon Nurse Jennings! Peter whined. Can't she stay for dinner? I won't tell if you don't.

Nothing doing, sweetheart. I know you, you'll somehow convince her to eat your food for you the moment I step out of this room.

No I wouldn't Peter mumbled, looking everywhere but at Nurse Jennings.

Mmm hmmm, I'll bet.

Stop being a baby, Pete. Faline said, standing up to leave. I'll be back tomorrow. Besides, Quatre's probably waiting for me outside. She leaned over and kissed him on the forehead. Be good and do what he nice nurse tells you. Peter made a face.

Just a minute here. I'm the older sibling! Where do you get off telling me to 'be good'? Peter huffed.

By the simple fact that I can walk out of here and you have to stay in that bed and eat nasty hospital food.

I'll get you my pretty. Peter mock-threatened. And your little blonde sex toy too.

Faline turned bright red and rushed out of the room and was still blushing when she got outside.

Faline, you're all red. Quatre observed. Are you running a fever? Maybe we should go back inside and get you checked out.

Oh! No! No, I'm fine! Faline exclaimed hastily. // I'm just suffering from a bad case of 'the hots'. Curse you Peter, I'll get you for this //