Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Matchmaker ❯ So, I See... ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Matchmaker
Author: Makoto Sagara
Series: Gundam Wing
Archive: The usual suspects; anywhere else, please ask first.
Category: Supernatural, Angst, Romance, Sap
Pairings: Eventual 2x5x2, 3x4x3, and 1xRx1
Rating: T
Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, het, supernatural dealings
Disclaimers: Yeah, like I own Gundam Wing. (Goes off to cry, but not before turning out pockets) I am poor as well. Flames will be used to amuse my muses. They are easily entertained, but highly obnoxious.

A/N: I don't remember how long it's been since I updated this thing. However, after being without the internet for about a month, my muses found their way back to me and made me work on chapter after chapter of fics. Since this one is something that is easy and fun to write, Neko tied me down to my chair and whipped me until I started typing things. Hence, you get an update. Review, okay?

Chapter Three: So, I See...

Everyone in the room seemed to be in shock from Duo's comment, and their thoughts were racing around in their heads, but not fast enough to be lost by the American. Much to his chagrin, it was Heero's angry, and undoubtedly jealous, thoughts that hurt the most.

"Relax. God, is what I said that horrible?" He was trying to sound jokingly, but wasn't so sure that he was pulling it off well.

Luckily, it was Relena who recovered the quickest out of the others. "Well, Mr. Maxwell, I must say that I'm flattered, but you are not my type."

"As graceful as ever," Duo responded. "And how good for me you aren't my type either." He shot a look at his best friend, and smiled when he saw all the tension seem to drain out of the Japanese man's trigger finger.

'I would have really noticed something if there were any real feelings between Duo and Relena,' Quatre thought to himself in relief. 'There's no way I would have missed that.'

'Aw, it seems I've missed something rather interesting.' Trowa's passive face didn't match the disappointment he felt. 'Oh well. Heero's reaction was enough for a while.'

'Now I won't have to kill him,' was Heero's only thought.

'Now I won't have to eliminate the woman,' was Wufei's thought, and that was the most perplexing one for Duo.

"I will find the doctor," Wufei said stiffly, trying desperately to not let his jealousy that the girl was so familiar with the American pilot.

"Um, I think I'll go get some water," Quatre said, inching out of the door and pulling Trowa with him. "Did you see the way that Heero looked?"

"I was sure that he would fulfill that threat he made to Duo years ago," Trowa said stoically.

"Be glad you couldn't feel the sudden anger," the blond said.

"I didn't have to. It was written in his eyes."

"True."

"So was Wufei's anger."

"Ah, so that was the other source. I was too busy watching Heero's hand look for the gun that wasn't there to recognize Wufei's anger."

"And you call yourself a psychic," Trowa joked.

"I do no such thing." Quatre looked through the glass to see Duo's head back on the pillows, eyes closed, and Relena and Heero standing close to one another, visibly whispering.

Wufei stopped alongside the Nurses' Station with Duo's physician and spotted the Arab and European standing outside the room. 'When are those two going to just admit that they are comfortable with one another and commit?' On silent feet, he walked behind them and noticed the scene in the room. 'There is another couple that should just admit how they feel.' It was then that his eyes grazed what appeared to be Duo's sleeping form, and he scowled. 'I suppose that I have no room to talk.'

"Well, I do hope that Mr. Maxwell is awake, finally," a voice said behind the Chinese man, forcing Wufei to control the conditioning of the war. His first reaction had been to turn around and break the doctor's neck.

"He is. The woman has probably said something that has given him a headache."

"His wife?" Then, the doctor took a second look. "Isn't that..."

"Relena Dorlian-Peacecraft, yes, it is," Trowa added. They were all getting used to answering that question.

The doctor audibly cleared his throat. "Well, let's go see the patient." He entered the room with a large smile across his face. "Good morning, Mr. Maxwell. I heard that you'd finally woken up."

Duo cracked one amethyst eye to cast a dubious look at the intruder. "Yeah, with one hell of a headache too. But Cindy, or whatever, wouldn't give me shit for it." 'Dr. Murdock, eh? He sounds like an idiot.' The American didn't even bat an eye when the man came over and began shining lights in eyes, asking stupid questions, and feeling his head, ribs and shoulder.

"It looks like you're healing quite nicely. You're a lucky man, Mr. Maxwell."

"Just call me Duo. I don't want to be Mr. Anything."

"Well, Duo, your head injury was rather severe. You suffered three separate sub-dermal hemotomas. We were a little worried after the second operation, but you seem to be doing fine now." Murdock checked the chart in his hands before looking back at his patient. "Do you remember anything before waking up last night?"

"I was at the orphanage around the corner from my house on L2," Duo started, ignoring Wufei and Quatre's annoyingly mother hen thoughts about his mental health. "It was about a week before Christmas and I'd just dropped off a bunch of presents for a party. I was still in the Santa suit..." He closed his eyes, pushing himself to remember more. "That's it, until I woke up here with my night watch."

'Night watch?' Wufei thought wryly, a delicate eyebrow arching slightly.

The doctor looked at the other occupants of the room and tried not to squirm under their scrutiny. "Yes, well, it was rather difficult to get them to leave you here alone. Mr. Winner is paying for everything, and he and Mr. Yuy can be... quite convincing." That got Duo laughing so hard that tears started streaming down his face. He only stopped when it jarred his ribs.

"Convincing, you say?" He took a pause for breath and some hissing of air through his teeth. "That's one word for it."

The doctor had the good graces to look extremely offended at Duo's behaviour. "I want to run some tests in the next few days and see how you're doing. Then, we can talk about release."

"You must be a mind-reader," Duo said, calming down at the mention of being able to leave.

"Not really. I just imagine that you're anxious to go back to your life," Dr. Murdock said, glancing at his watch. "Well, I will leave you to your company. Try to get some more rest, Duo."

"Like I want to lie here any longer," Duo said sourly when the doctor was gone. "So, Lena, what's going on in the world of politics?"

Relena left Heero's side and sat down next to the bed-stricken man. "You really don't want to hear about that after being in a coma for a month, do you?"

"Actually, I think Duo could use some rest," Wufei said sternly, glaring daggers at the woman. 'Get away from him, Peacecraft.'

"Hm, that sounds like a good idea," Quatre said, pushing Trowa and pulling Heero out of the room. "Call us if you need anything, Duo. The number to the hotel is next to the phone. Come along, Relena."

The girl pushed loose strands of chestnut hair out of Duo's eyes and gave him a chaste kiss on his check. "Get some sleep, Duo. We'll talk later, alright?"

"'Kay," he said around a yawn, suddenly aware of how drained he felt. "Stay, 'Fei?"

"Of course," Wufei said, sitting down next to the other man. 'For as long as you wish.'

"For forever," Duo muttered before falling asleep.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"So, human, are you ready to find out what your purpose is?" Thaddeus said, flexing his white wings and messing up his hair.

"I don't think he is, Thad," Maximus, the black angel, said.

"Oh, but, Maxi, he's so pathetic like this. It's painful to watch him."

"True, but I would be more worried about the Master's reaction than the human's."

"Who are you two?" Duo yelled, making the angels take a curious look at him. "What do you want? Who the hell is this Master you keep talking about?"

"Oh, he's finally started to join the conversation, Thad."

"Great. I was beginning to become bored with him. My name is Thaddeus, human, and this is my companion, Maximus." The white haired angel came and walked around Duo a few times, looking him over like a piece of meat. "We want you to entertain us."

The black haired angel came to stand in front of Duo, his black eyes boring holes into the boy's body. "That is only half-true. Humans do, in fact, entertain us, but that isn't your only purpose right now."

"Are you trying to intimidate me?" Duo asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Far from it, little human," the white one said. "We are sizing you up for your mission."

"What mission?"

"You've noticed something interesting lately, have you not?" the black asked.

"Yeah... I can hear other people's thoughts. Like the doctor thinking about a tee time when he was supposed to be talking to me about what happened. Or Quatre thinking that I look like crap."

"Exactly, but do you know what caused this?"

"No..."

"Think harder, human."

"My name is Duo!"

"Is it? Really? Are you sure that that is your real name?" The white angel gave a cold smile.

"Now, now, Thad, behave," Maximus chided. "Duo, your new gift is from our Master. It is to his amusement that you have received it."

"Cut the bullshit!" The two angels just laugh at his anger.

"You'll understand," Thaddeus said. "Sooner or later, you'll get it. You may be a human, but you're smarter than you act." His smile dropped quickly and he looked at the other angel. "It seems as if we've overstayed our welcome, Maxi."

"You're right, Thad. We'll meet again, Duo. Count on it." And then, the two were gone and it was quiet.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Duo woke up, drenched in his own sweat and breathing fast, and quickly took in his surroundings. Wufei was at his side, his black hair falling out of the ponytail that it was normally kept in as he slept. The hospital room was dark, and there was no light from the windows. Carefully, he slowed his breathing down to normal levels and climbed out of the high hospital bed.

'You're okay, Duo. Just a little whoosey from the bump on your head,' he tried to reassure himself. 'And having fucked up dreams about angels messing with your life is just another side affect from the truck using you as a stopping block.' He used his hands to brace his body against the wall as he made his way to the bathroom. 'I need to remember to ask Quatre what happened to that truck that hit me anyway.' After taking just about the longest piss in his life, Duo inched his way back to the bed. 'There's no way that my legs and back hurt so much if most of the trauma from the accident was to my head and shoulders... Unless it's from lying in a bed for over a month.'

The former Gundam pilot carefully swung his legs back up on the bed, trying his best to avoid hitting his friend in the head as he slept. 'Hm, guess I'll talk to the doctor about that tomorrow,' he thought sleepily. His eyes started to droop and he was nearly asleep when something popped into his head.

'Stop moving so much, Duo...'

"'Fei?" he whispered, wide awake again. A grunt was his only response. 'I must be imagining things again. Gotta get more sleep.'

'Love...'

"What the fuck?!"
TBC