Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Matchmaker ❯ What The... ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Matchmaker 6/??
Author: Makoto Sagara
Series: Gundam Wing
Archive: The usual suspects; anywhere else, please ask first.
Category: Supernatural, Angst, Romance, Sap
Pairings: Eventual 2x5x2, 3x4x3, and 1xRx1
Rating: T
Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, het, supernatural dealings
Disclaimers: Yeah, like I own Gundam Wing. (Goes off to cry, but not before turning out pockets) I am poor as well. Flames will be used to amuse my muses. They are easily entertained, but highly obnoxious.

A/N: I finished chapter 5 not even a week after completing chapter 4. It's kinda scary how productive I've become since reemerging from under my rock. Oh well, enjoy! The muses say review so they can start a summer bonfire….
Chapter Six: What the…
Duo froze as Wufei crossed the room in a blur and kissed him until he could not feel his legs anymore. As long as he had dreamed this, and ignored the signs all around him, he still was unable to believe what was going on. Slowly, very slowly, his body responded - arms wrapped around the Chinese man's slender neck, lips struggled for dominance, hips shot forward, and sounds of pleasure escaped his throat.
When Wufei's long fingers dug themselves in his hair, Duo was able to gain some sort of remnant of his sanity. As if burned, he disengaged his body from around the other man and jumped back. “What the hell was that?” He was going for indignant, but was betrayed by being breathless and aroused.
“I thought it was rather self-explanatory,” Wufei managed after a few moments, short of breath himself. `I've kissed him…finally… What now?'
“That's what I want to know!”
Black eyes shot up in confusion. “Know what?”
“What the hell! Fei, I- I- I certainly did NOT expect that,” Duo shot back.
“Hm,” was all the Asian man replied with, but his brain was going triple time. `Does he regret it? Did I read the signs wrong? Has Quatre been fooled?'
“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Signs? Q fooled? And why would I regret…” A hand shot up to cover his mouth before he said too much, but the look on his friend's face told him it was too late.
`How in the… Should I speak to his neurosurgeon?' Wufei eyed him warily, as if looking for any more signs that Duo was about to go crazy. “What are you talking about, Maxwell?”
“Nothing,” Duo replied churlishly, all thoughts of passion flown the coop. Luckily both men were halted from speaking again by the arrival of Duo's physician.
“Ah, Mr. Maxwell, you're looking well today. How do you feel?”
“I'll be great once you tell me I can get the hell out of here,” was the surly answer.

“Well, we'll get to that.” The doctor smiled in Wufei's direction. “And Mr. Chang, it's nice to see you here again.” `Does this man ever leave this hospital? Doesn't he have a job with the Preventers?' He cleared his throat before beginning. “I do bear some good news for you, Duo.” He consulted the charts and papers in his hands. “While the MRI showed some elevated usage in the left side of your brain, mostly centered on the creativity and emotional seats, your left and right parietals seem to be fine. And since those were the areas where your hematomas were, I'm glad to say that there seems to be no side-effects.”
Wufei sighed in relief, and Duo blinked in confusion. “Okay, so, um, in lay terms, my motor skills are fine, but there is some unusual activity in part of my brain?”
“Exactly, and the episodic amnesia you mentioned about before the accident is quite normal in your situation.” The doctor jotted a few notes on the chart before speaking again. “I would like for you to get some physical therapy for your left leg and right arm. You should regain nearly all of your former usage in time, but for now, you might want to consider a cane or crutches, if your vanity is like that of some of my other patients.”
“How long do you think it'll be before he will be back to normal?” Wufei asked, his brain filing the information away and flitting through a few ways to make Duo comply.
“It would be hard to say. His rate of healing is very accelerated, which I'm certain is in part of his training as a Gundam pilot, but if pressed, I would have to say at least two months of physical therapy for his leg.”
“So, is it outpatient or inpatient?” Duo asked tiredly.
“Outpatient, which should make the hospital staff breathe easier. Your pranks and surliness have made more than one nurse ask for a floor transfer.” The doctor smiled as he consulted his PDA. “Well, I have a few more patients to see before this day is over.” `And a golf game and dinner to attend today.'
“One more question, Doc, when can I leave?”
“I have your forms here for release, but you'll have to read over them and sign. I will also send the information for the PT around before you leave.” The doctor's smile dropped into a scowl. “Do not neglect to schedule that, Mr. Maxwell. It is very important. And you will be leaving today in a wheelchair, regardless of how indignant you become.”
“Yeah, yeah,” Duo answered, feeling lighter with the news of being free. The doctor put the forms on the boy's bed and stepped back.
“I'll be back in an hour to get those forms. If you think of any other questions in the meantime, let me know then.”
“Thanks, Doc!” The door clicked softly behind the physician and both remaining men stared at one another uncomfortably. Both started speaking at the same time to break up the silence. “Look, Fei…” “Duo…”
Duo flushed red as he tried to gather his thoughts. “Um, so, I'm free now…”
“Aa,” Wufei said noncommittally. `Should I bring it back up, or act like nothing happened?' He scowled petulantly. `I don't want to ignore it, but now probably isn't the best time to say anything…' “Do you want to go to the hotel with the others? Or something else?”
“I'd like to go home, truthfully.” His violet eyes dropped to the papers in his hands and he squawked in outrage. “RESTRICTED DIET? No fried foods, no heavy sauces, no red meat… What the hell am I supposed to eat?”
“Normal food, I suppose, but that is something you have very limited experience with before now, yes?” Duo's scowling face didn't deter Wufei in his attitude. `Should I take him home with me as I planned on? Or…' “I'd be more worried about where you're going to live if you don't want to go back to the hotel, considering your `home' is back on L2 and we're not.”
“Yeah, that is a problem,” Duo answered robotically as he processed Wufei's thoughts. `Do I want to go home with Wufei or back to L2?' The thought of his home colony brought another idea to mind. “Hey, Fei, whatever happened to my apartment and all my stuff?”
“I think Quatre sent Rashid and Auda to make sure it stayed locked up.” Slowly, black and violet eyes met, leaving Wufei flushed as he tried to think clearly. `I will not think about the way he tastes.' His tongue darted out to lick his lips. “One of the other Maguanacs has been staying there to make sure nothing is taken.”
“Ah, `kay.” Duo's eyes seemed riveted to the other man's mouth as a faint blush began to spread across his cheeks. Suddenly, Trowa's words from earlier that day popped into his head. `How long do you think you can lie to yourself about Wufei? Everyone but the two of you can see what's going on. Just think about that a bit.' `Duo, have you told Wufei how you feel about him?' Relena had asked that. He blinked, breaking contact with his friend and turned his head to look out of the window. `How *do* I feel about him? I…I… Aw, shit, I love him…'
“Maxwell,” Wufei said carefully. “Is there anything the matter?” His voice was soft and obviously filled with worry. Duo shook his head and decided to let Wufei's thoughts roam into his own head. `He's been unnaturally silent. I suppose this means he wants to go back to L2. Why am I disappointed? It's been nearly two months since he's been at his own apartment and his familiar surroundings. I have no claim on him. …But I want one.'
“Wufei,” Duo said, smiling shyly. “I don't want to go back to L2.”
-----------------------
Heero stared at the vidphone next to his bed and scowled. It was ridiculous that he was finding himself unable to call Relena. He was the head of her security forces. They had spoken many times before. Hell, she'd even followed him around for months during the war. So, why couldn't he pick up the receiver and place the call to her hotel room?
“This is all Duo's fault.”
“What is, Heero?” Quatre asked from the doorway of their room. The Japanese man's head shot up to stare at his friend.
`How long has he been there?' Heero's scowl deepened as he thought about it. “Nothing.”
“Just do it.” Quatre's face remained placid and unassuming, but Heero knew better than to trust the blond's facial expressions. “It's not going to get any easier unless you do.”
“How would you know?”
“Believe it or not, I know exactly what you're thinking about, and she'd love to talk to you.” Quatre walked over to the closet and began to sort through his clothes. “I'm going to take a shower. After that, Trowa and I are going to lunch. You'll have plenty of time to have a private conversation.” With that, he went into the bathroom and shut the door.
Again, Heero went back to scowling at the vidphone as he vacillated. Much to his surprise, it rang. With one hand slightly shaking, he answered and Relena's smiling face stared back at him. “I was just going to call you.”
-----------------
“So, how did your talk with Duo go?” Quatre asked while he and Trowa waited for their lunch to arrive.
“I could ask the same thing,” his companion said, smiling slightly.
“Well, my talk with him was interrupted by dragging him through his tests.” The blond smiled in return. “I brought him contraband food, but he fell asleep before I could get him to eat it.”
Trowa nodded. “I brought him coffee, but he didn't seem too interested in his breakfast. Although, it *was* hospital food, so I can't say that I blame him.” They both chuckled politely before they grew awkwardly silent.
“Did… did he say something to you?” Quatre flushed a bit, but didn't miss the flutter of panic that came from Trowa at the same time.
“Not really.” The panic vanished, and further conversation was stunted by their meal arriving. Trowa spent the time while he slowly ate to think things over. `Should I just talk to him truthfully? This is so odd. It has never been like this between us.'
Quatre, at the same time, was trying to process the fleeting panic of his companion while he carefully cut and chewed his food. `He lied. Why?'
“Have you talked to your sisters lately?”
“Yes, Iria is busy, as always, and the others are off doing their own things. I think Georgette and Karissa are planning on stopping by in the next week. They said something about `premium shopping' here in London.”
“I spoke to Cathy this morning,” Trowa said as he carefully observed his friend. “She said the troupe was coming to Europe next month as well.”
“Will you rejoin them at that point?” `Don't go don't go don't go.'
“I'm not sure yet. Has Lady Une contacted about the Preventers at all?”
“Yes, but only as a political ally. I'm sure she's spoken to Relena for the same purpose. Who would dare oppose her with the head of WEI and the Vice-Foreign Minister of the Earth Sphere backing her?”
“Someone rather dense, or greedy, I would suppose.” A faint smile graced the banged man's face. “And as far as I've gathered, there are plenty of both in politics.” Quatre smiled in return and their eyes met for the first time since they sat down.
Dark, thick eyelashes framed the smaller man's aqua blue eyes, and as he continued to look at Quatre, Trowa found it difficult to breathe properly. His eyes lowered past the cute button nose to the naturally pink lips, curved slightly in a nervous smile. They moved as he spoke, but the normally composed Gundam pilot was unable to understand what the hell he was saying. “Hm?”
Fighting down a fierce blush, Quatre watched his friend. “Trowa, is everything alright?” The other man's staring continued, making him even more uncomfortable. “Trowa? Trowa?” It was after saying his name for a third time that he realized that he was feeling lust and longing from across the table. `Ah… Oh…' His blush grew deeper. `This could be a problem.' He cleared his throat. “Trowa, we should really get going.”
Trowa nodded, his eyes still watching the way the Arab's mouth moved as he spoke and unconsciously licked his lips. When Quatre stood, Trowa moved fluidly from his side of the table, took the other man's hand and started dragging him across the restaurant's floor, uncaring where they were.
------------------------
“So, Duo told me that the two of you talked, but it didn't go very well,” Relena said with a shy smile.
“I suppose it could be relayed like that.” Heero grimaced briefly and visibly wiped his palms against his jean-clad legs. “I think I yelled at him and then stomped out of the room like a three year old.”
The girl giggled at the thought. “Oh, Heero, that's too much. You didn't really do that, did you?”
“Um, yes,” he said as he blushed. “I called and apologized later… But…”
“What?” Her blue eyes were round and eager in the vidphone's screen. His face flashed through a few emotions before settling for something she'd never seen him express, fear. “Heero, what's wrong?”
“H-have dinner with me tonight?”
`Oh. My. God. Did he just ask me out?' She managed to keep her face straight. “This evening, I believe I'm free.”
“I… I'll come and get you at seven then,” he said as he was obviously trying to rein in his emotions. She smiled widely.
“I'll see you then.” They made awkward goodbyes, and then she stared at the vidphone. “Heero Yuy just asked me out to dinner? I think the world has ended.” Her smile got goofy the longer she looked at the screen. `Oh, God, I have to call Duo!'
----------------------
“Wufei,” Duo said, smiling shyly. “I don't want to go back to L2.”
“Your things are there, are they not?” Wufei could feel his left eye twitch as his nerves became taunt with anticipation. `What in the world is going on? I'm missing some nuance, but he doesn't want to go back to L2. That's good, right?'
“Yeah, but it's not gonna be hard to get them shipped to wherever I am.” Duo's face was settled into an amused smile that reached his expressive eyes. Wufei could feel his blood rush the longer they held one another's gaze. One pale hand reached for his own, only making his current rush of desire worse. “Wufei?”
“Duo…” His voice was breathless, and he cursed himself for being so weak, but he still didn't try to correct it. Nor, did he snatch back his hand. `I want…'
Even before he was able to finish his thought, the American yanked him down until they were face-to-face. Suddenly, lips brushed hesitantly against his, seeming to ask permission. Surprise flashed across his mind before he pushed it back and added pressure to the kiss. He braced his arms on either side of Duo's hips to keep himself from falling on the convalescing man and groaned as the American's legs wrapped around his thighs. The kiss deepened yet again, bruising their lips and stealing any breath they were able to get through their noses, when suddenly both the phone rang and a knock sounded at the door.
“Doctor,” Duo cursed as they broke apart slowly. He glanced at the phone's screen and sighed. “Relena.”
“Don't answer either,” Wufei growled. `I don't care about either right now.'
“Fei, you gotta let me answer the door at least,” Duo pleaded as Wufei released him reluctantly. `At least I know how he feels now…' He smiled as he rearranged his face to a manic expression. “Come in.”
He heard Wufei stab the accept button on the phone and growl at the woman on the other end of the call. “Oh, Wufei, I was hoping that I could talk to Duo,” she said pleasantly.
“He is busy,” he snarled. `I was going to…' “What do you want?”
“Um, well, it's really something that I could only talk to Duo about right now. Should I call back?”
“He's being released.”
“Oh, really? Well, that's terrific! Will you be taking him back to the hotel then?”
`Shut up, you annoying woman, you.' Duo bit back a laugh as the doctor entered with his charts before him.
“Oh, Mr. Chang, you're still here.” The man looked over at the vidphone's screen and his smile grew wider as he spotted Relena's face. “Your Majesty, it's great to see you again!”
“Hello, Dr. Murdock,” Relena said tersely. “So, where are you going after his release is finalized?”
“Lena, I'll call you back and let you know,” Duo said as Wufei started to snarl in his mind. “Give me like ten minutes, kay?”
“Alright, but I have something very important to tell you, so don't forget!”
“I won't.” He waved goodbye as Wufei stabbed the `end call' button and turned to face the other interruption. “So, Doc, what's up?”
“Have you signed all the papers yet?” His smile was expectant but dropped as he noticed that said papers were strewn all over the floor. “Something you didn't like?”
“Yeah, what's up with this `restricted diet' crap?”
“Mr. Maxwell, you've spent the last two months in a coma. Your system needs to adjust to solid foods again. Anything heavy or too rich will make you very ill.” He looked at his charts again. “I have your primary care physician listed as a Sally Po. You should get in touch with Doctor Po and she can make any changes after your release.”
“Not bloody likely,” Duo snarled. “She's just going to want to stick me with pointy things for taking up her precious time.” Wufei barked out a couple of laughs while muttering about sadistic women.
The doctor cleared his throat uncomfortably. “As well as starting the physical therapy, I am ordering you to set up an examination in one week's time with Doctor Po.” He made a few notes in his PDA before looking sternly at his patient. “Mr. Maxwell, you're a horrible patient, but I sincerely wish that you recuperate fully. The only way that is going to happen is if you comply with my orders.” He sighed as he picked up a few of the papers at his feet. “Few patients are ready to be released a week after they've woken up from a coma. Please take that to heart and just listen to me.”
“I will make sure that he does as ordered,” Wufei said. Duo knew that his tone of voice meant that no amount of pleading, begging, cajoling, or running would get him out of doing exactly what the doctor was saying.
“Fine,” he said with a huffy sigh. “I'll do as ordered.” He picked up the sheets around him and quickly scrawled his name at the bottom. He handed them to his physician and was given a sheet in return that looked like an order for the physical therapy. “What do I do with this?”
“Set up the appointment to begin treatment with a facility on L2, or wherever you plan on staying, and give a copy to Doctor Po's office.” He glanced at the gaudy gold Rolex on his wrist. `I have an hour before tee time.' “If you need anything else, please contact your primary physician.”
The door shut and Duo snarled. “I hate that guy!”
“Why? Because he told you that you're a horrible patient? Which is true, by the way,” Wufei asked with obvious amusement.
“No,” Duo said, turning on his friend. “Because every time he's in here, he's thinking about his damn golf game! I don't give a fuck about his handicap of five!” Wufei's eyes slanted as he looked at Duo carefully, but he didn't say anything about what Duo'd blurted out.
“Duo, I don't live here in London,” he said calmly. “I live in Paris, near the Preventers main office.” He cleared his throat and looked at the room's other occupant. “Actually, that's where Sally is right now as well.”
“Oh…” Duo thought that over carefully. “I guess I just assumed that… you'd…”
“What? That I would bring you to a hospital in the city I lived?” Wufei sat down in the visitor's chair. “Normally, I suppose I would have, except Sally recommended the neurosurgeons at this hospital in London. Do you honestly think I would be staying at hotel if I lived here?”
“I guess I never thought about it before now, but that wouldn't make sense.” Duo began searching for his brush to finish braiding his hair, which was now a large rat's nest. “So, um, where are we going then?”
“It would take a few hours to take you back to Paris by train, which is probably the smartest thing right now this time of the day, and then it's an hour by car from the station to my house. On the other hand, the hotel's only a thirty minute drive.” `And if you don't want to stay in Winner's suite, I can get you your own room for the night.'
“I'd like that,” Duo blurted out before he blushed. “Um, but can I get my own room? I don't really want to bunk down with the others right now.”
“That's possible,” the Chinese man answered. “I'll pack your things. Call back Relena and let her know.”