Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Matchmaker ❯ Would You Believe I Forgot? ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Matchmaker 7/??
Author: Makoto Sagara
Series: Gundam Wing
Archive: fanfiction.net, afallenangel.net/makotosagara/, mediaminer.org, Foreverfandom.net, makochanupdates.livejournal.com; anywhere else, please ask first.
Category: Supernatural, Angst, Romance, Sap
Pairings: Eventual 2x5x2, 3x4x3, and 1xRx1
Rating: T
Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, het, supernatural dealings
Disclaimers: Yeah, like I own Gundam Wing. (Goes off to cry, but not before turning out pockets) I am poor as well. Flames will be used to amuse my muses. They are easily entertained, but highly obnoxious.

A/N: Yay! Another chapter is such a short amount of time. I'm on a roll. Oh, and I started the sequel to Gundam Diaries, finally! And before anyone else asks, yes, I am trying to get back to working on Star Trek: Gundam with Jo-chan, but she's dragging her feet. *sigh*
Chapter Seven: Would You Believe I Forgot?
Wufei stepped outside of the braided man's hospital room to allow privacy for the conversation with Relena. While he was out there, he took his cellphone from his pocket and dialed Lady Une's office in Paris. “Une, Chang here.”
“Well, Agent Chang, it's nice to finally hear from you,” she answered drily, but he could tell that she was annoyed. “I take it that Mr. Maxwell is doing well? I can only assume that's the case since I haven't heard from you since you left the office, under the threat of resignation or my immediate demise, seven and a half weeks ago.”
“I apologize, Lady Une,” he said, feeling embarrassed for his lack of communication in the matter. “The situation was a lot worse than I feared at the time and… Would you believe I forgot after he woke up?”
“I'm inclined to believe that, Agent Chang.” She sounded as if she was smiling and he breathed easier. “How is he, really?”
“He's being released today. I'm going to bring him back to Paris in the next few days. Evidently Sally is his primary physician and he has to check in with her before he can start physical therapy.”
“Well, I'll let Major Po know that she should expect a visit from him soon.” He could hear a few papers ruffling in the background. “I also have a message from Agents Noin and Marquise. They said that they can't find a record of any other accidents like that of Maxwell's on any of the colonies, Mars, Earth or the Lunar Base. They say the records they have come from only L2, and they center on the area near Maxwell's house, scrapyard and the orphanage he frequented.
“And before you begin to charge in to start your own investigation to the area, I've already assigned Jackson and Harker from the L2 office to check it out.” Wufei could feel the side of his mouth twitch upwards into a smile. “So, when will you be returning to the office, Agent?”
“Maxwell isn't completely mobile yet. The doctor has recommended that he use a cane or crutches for a while, but Sally will need to make the final call on that, I guess.” He thought things over for a minute. “I'll stop by when I bring him in for his appointment with Sally. Who knows, he might like to see you.”
“God forbid,” she replied. “Well, let me know when you arrive in Paris. Oh, and enjoy the rest of your extended vacation. I'm sure that Veronica and Roth have been saving the fun missions for you, Yuy and Barton.”
“Thanks,” he said drily. `Going back to work isn't going to be fun.' He could hear Duo saying goodbye to Relena on the vidphone and call for him. “I will contact you when we reach France. I have to go.” He hung up without any sort of farewell, but he doubted she cared. He didn't.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Duo looked up and smiled as Wufei reentered his room. He looked somewhere between excited and annoyed, and something about his expression made him seem younger than his eighteen years. “Guess what I just found out.”
“What?”
“No, you're supposed to guess, `Fei!”
“I think this line of reasoning is that of a five year old's…” `But I'll humor you.' “You've won the lottery?”
“Nope, but close - Relena won.”
“Somehow, I doubt that.” Wufei checked around the room to make sure that all of Duo's belongings were gathered. “What really happened?”
“Heero asked her to dinner tonight.” Duo waited patiently for that one statement to register in his friend's mind and smiled.
`He what? What the hell prompted that?'
“Apparently, they were about to call each other and he just blurted it out.” Wufei leveled calculating eyes at the American before he did anything else.
`Something's not right here. I know the neurosurgeon said that the scans showed no signs of damage, but since he woke up from the coma it's almost as if…'
The braided man kept the goofy smile on his face, covering up the fact that he was terrified that if Wufei put two and two together and came up with crazy, he'd run for the hills. “Something wrong, `Fei?”
The Chinese man shook his head and stared carefully at the other. “You're not properly dressed, Maxwell. How did you hope to leave in those clothes?”
“Um, I don't have any others,” he said, realizing the truth of the statement after he'd said it. “I mean, I was dressed in a Santa suit back on L2, but I doubt anyone held onto that, and seeing how it's February now, it would be pretty out of place.”
“Oh, I don't know. I'd think the nurses would think Christmas came early now that you're leaving.”
“Harsh, man, harsh…”
“Hm, it seems that that's something both Winner and I overlooked while we were here.” His phone rang before he could think any further. “Chang here.” He paused, looking stunned for a moment. “Peacecraft, to what do I owe the pleasure?” Pause. “Yes, that's correct. I'm taking him to Paris in a few days.” Scoff, choke on his tongue. “NO! What gave you - Never mind. Yes, I was thinking of doing that.” Pause, longer this time. “That would be much appreciated. Oh, yes, his sizes? Medium shirt, 30x34 pants, size thirteen shoes… Yes, size thirteen… WHY WOULD I KNOW THAT?” Blush, very red. “I'm hanging up now. No. Goodbye.” He clapped his phone shut, face beet red, much to Duo's amusement.
While Wufei's face, ears and neck were red in embarrassment, his brain was FUMING in a dialect of Chinese that Duo had no clue how to translate. But, Duo didn't have to read minds to figure out the gist of the conversation with their female friend. If it hadn't been so damn funny, he might have been mortified himself. `God, she's playing with fire here.' “So, what did Relena want and why were you giving her my sizes?”
“That…. That… That WOMAN,” Duo snickered at his outrage, “realized that I hadn't a house here in England and has gotten a room for you at the hotel with the rest of us. She also thought about the fact that you didn't have clothes since waking up.”
“So, we thank her before you kill her?”
“Acceptable,” Wufei muttered. “I have to go get the car and bring it around and I think a nurse will bring you a wheelchair. Will you be okay by yourself?” Duo fixed him with a look of utter disdain instead of answering. “Right, I'll be back.”
Duo quickly reached over to the phone and dialed Relena's private cell phone. “Are you trying to get yourself killed, Lena?” he asked as soon as she answered.
“Not really, but what's the point of having him around if I can't tease him a bit?” She sounded amused as hell, but it was irking him.
“Do me a favor, Lena, and don't do that again. I thought he was going to have an aneurysm and I'm not really in the best shape to help him if he does…”
“Sorry, I hadn't thought of that. Now, I really must go. I have to reserve a room for you and Lover Boy there and then get some clothes for you.”
“I hate you,” Duo grumped.
“No, no, remember, you love me so much it makes Heero *and* Wufei insane.”
“Right now, not so much…”
“Oh, I forgot to ask Wufei before. Boxers or briefs?” She was having *way* too much fun with this, in his opinion.
“Boxers.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quatre couldn't breathe. Trowa wasn't allowing him. They were currently locked in the room of the suite that the taller man shared with Wufei, since Heero was in the other bedroom. And, try as he might deny it, he was reveling in every second. Certainly, he'd been surprised when the other man had dragged him, bodily, from the hotel's restaurant up to the suite without a word. But, when they'd made their way to the suite and into the other bedroom, Quatre had *tried* to put up some resistance. Probably not as much as he could have, but he did try!
Allah forgive him, but as soon as the door was locked, Trowa's mouth was on his, body pressed against him so he couldn't move. And he'd reacted out of instinct by kissing him back like he was drowning and Trowa was the only way to save his life. He didn't object when calloused hands somehow made their way up his bare back. In fact, he couldn't remember how his shirt was removed, or how Trowa somehow had lost his own shirt. All he could think of was the fact that there was one less barrier between their bodies.
It wasn't until the outside door slammed shut that they even remembered that Heero had been there at all. Quatre blushed and leaned against Trowa's broad shoulder. He took a moment until his breathing was normal and then stepped back. “We… we can't…”
“Yes, we can,” Trowa growled possessively, pulling the blond back into a searing kiss.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heero looked up as he heard the outside door of the suite open and shut. Getting up, he looked out, only to see Trowa dragging Quatre towards his room and then slam shut the door. `It's about time,' he thought before leaving the suite. He still had to buy some clothes fit for dinner out with Relena.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wufei drove carefully through the crowded London streets, muttering under his breath about useless, wastes of flesh as some idiot in a Mini cut them off and Duo was thrown into his door as Wufei swerved to avoid crashing. Occasionally, he'd sneak a peek to his left (since England still persisted in making everyone drive opposite the rest of the Earth Sphere) to check on Duo, who was happily checking out the streets and people of the crowded Earth city. His companion was silent and it appeared as if he was excited about his release from the hospital, but there was something that was bothering him. To be honest, something was still bugging Wufei, and he didn't think he'd be happy until they talked it all over. `How do I say this? It's really bothering me, and he's just sitting there, oblivious to everything around him.'
He could feel the other's eyes on him as he pulled around Kensington Square in front of Buckingham Palace. After several agonizing minutes of the silent staring, Wufei turned his head completely to look at the American. “Is there something wrong, Duo?”
“Not really,” he said quietly. “Is there something wrong with you?”
“You've been acting differently since you woke up,” Wufei said after the bleating of someone's horn died down.
“I guess nearly dying made me think about a few things differently.”
`I don't like the way he said that.' “Such as?”
“Can we talk about this later, `Fei? I'm tired. All I want to do is get to the hotel room and take a nap.”
“Of course,” he replied, watching as Duo closed his eyes and leaned his head against the window. The rest of the twenty minute drive was silent, and Wufei was glad when they arrived so that his companion would at least show some signs of life again. He grabbed the bag with Duo's books and the few other gifts he'd received in one hand and walked around to the passenger side of the car, intent on helping his friend.
The American put up no resistance as Wufei wrapped Duo's left arm around his neck and lifted him from the car. The going was slow as Duo tried to adjust to the awkward angle that Wufei's assistance put him in, stretching muscles he hadn't used in a very long time. “Not too fast, `Fei,” he said through clenched teeth as they headed towards the hotel's doors.
They'd managed to make it to the lobby before someone stopped them. Luckily, it was Relena, *with* Heero standing guard behind her. “Do you need help there?” she asked, moving to take the bag from Wufei.
“Thank you, Peacecraft,” he bit out, leveling a glare at her and making her blush brightly. Duo laughed at the confused look on Heero's face before he was swept up into Wufei's arms and carried across the lobby. “Whose name is it under?”
“Yours,” she answered, looking at Heero. “We can go after they're settled in, right?”
“Of course,” the Japanese man replied slowly, definitely missing something before he remembered the situation in their suite. “Oh, Chang, don't go back to the suite tonight.”
“Why not?” Wufei said, setting Duo down so he could handle the check-in process.
“You don't want to know!” the American answered, his ears red. Relena blinked a few times before blushing herself.
“Well, okay, that's my cue to leave,” she replied, setting down Duo's bag and backing away. “That tells me everything I didn't want to know.” She walked away, muttering under her breath with Heero close behind.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Duo snickered as his two friends left. `Well, she won't be asking personal questions again for a while.' He turned to watch as Wufei scrawled his name to the slip of paper the man behind the desk had handed him. `I wonder how long it's going to be before he starts asking me about things again.' He stifled a yawn and leaned on his friend's shoulder, trying to ignore the looks they were attracting and the thoughts from the other people in the lobby. He knew he looked like shit. `I'd like to see you after spending so long in the hospital, jerks!'
“Have my laundry sent to this room, instead of Winner's suite, if you would,” Wufei said, snapping Duo out of his reverie.
“Of course, Mr. Chang,” the concierge said, his fingers flying over the computer's keyboard in a way to make even Heero jealous. “We also sent up a delivery from Ms. Peacecraft to the room. It was addressed to yourself and a Mr. Maxwell. I hope that doesn't present a problem.”
`Only because you are holding up me taking Duo upstairs so he can sleep,' Wufei thought with a snarl that didn't show on his otherwise steely face. “None, thank you.”
Duo let out a little squeak of surprise as Wufei wrapped an arm around his waist and picked up the bag Relena had deserted before slowly herding him towards the elevator. The ride up to the floor was quiet and quick. When the doors slid open, Wufei picked Duo up completely and headed out. “Wufei, put me down!”
“This is faster and would be safer if you'd stop struggling.”
“I can walk on my own!” Duo tried to squirm out of the other man's grasp, but found that the hold was too tight and that he didn't have enough strength to keep it up. “Fine, but you are putting me down the *moment* we reach the room,” he said with an air of defeat.
Wufei did as he requested, placing him gently on his own feet when they reached the door to their room, mostly so that he could open the door without dropping the other boy. But, as soon as the door was open, he propped it open with Duo's bag of belongings and was back at his side to help him enter.
It was a large and beautiful suite, with only one door leading off the room's sitting area. The furniture was tastefully done in navy blue and Redwood accents and looked much more comfortable than anything that Duo had seen in over a week. “Oh, `Fei, I wanna sit down, please.”
“Alright,” his friend replied, his thoughts only a low buzz as Duo's exhaustion threatened to make him fall asleep in the cushy chair Wufei helped him into. “I'm going to take a look around the room. If you need anything, yell.”
“'Kay,” Duo mumbled, closing his eyes and resting his head on the back of the chair. He could hear Wufei move around and was reassured by the slow mental conversation the other man seemed to be having with himself in Cantonese. It wasn't until Wufei reached the bedroom that anything stuck out.
`A king sized bed… I'm going to kill her!' Those words were enough to shock Duo awake and swearing.
TBC