Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Perfect Soldier's Mistake ❯ Quest for the Lost ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Sorry it's taken me so long to get this next chapter out, but I've been on vacation enjoying the sun. ^.^ It's finally here though, and taking an unexpected turn into a new land of mystery. You're probably thinking, "What the heck is this crazy person talking about?" Well… you just have to read and see.
Slight Shounen Ai Warning! 2 x 5 Nothing extreme so dun worry. I'm not turning into a yoai fanatic. Course that might not be so bad…^.^

Chapter 2
Quest for the Lost

Souls go dancing, one by one,
Beneath the bright and yellow sun.
Souls alive, hearts afire
To meet every bright desire

But souls go marching, five by five,
From the battle, not alive.
Souls aplenty, but not one breathe,
For battle's nothing short of death.



'Where am I… a bright light… white room… I'm tired… I'm scared… please… help me… someone… please… Heero…'


Heero looked down at Kat. She lay motionless on the bed, as always. It had been three days since she had moved. 'Three days since we escaped,' Heero thought. 'Why can't she just wake up…why can't she just open here eyes and get up and say everything's ok?' Heero refused to look at her closed eyes, so he looked down at the floor instead. He couldn't stand it much more. 'Why is this happening? Why do I have to feel these things…why? I was trained not to…what happened to all that training?' Heero clenched his fists. He was on the verge on hitting something, when he heard the bedroom door creak. He looked up at the doorway.
"Heero?" Duo said cautiously. "Its suppertime, man. You comin'?"
"I'm not hungry," answered Heero. "Please leave."
"But Heero," said Duo, "You haven't eaten since we got back! You gotta come!"
"Get out of here!" shouted Heero.
Duo left the room and shut the door quickly. He didn't like messing with Heero when he was mad. Duo walked back downstairs to the kitchen. As he entered the room, he saw three faces look up at him, hopefully. Duo sighed and shook his head.
Wufei snorted. "Leave him be… if he wants to starve himself over a weak onna, that's his problem."
"Wufei!" scolded Quatre. "You shouldn't say things like that! If it wasn't for her, we'd be down to four pilots to fight OZ, instead of five!"
"Yeah," Duo said as he came up behind Wufei, draped his arms over Wufei's shoulders, and locked his hands around his waist. "Be a bit more sensitive, Wu. We wouldn't want to lose him now when we're so close to winning the war."
Wufei snorted again, but said nothing else.
Duo rolled his eyes. 'Wufei can be so stubborn at times,' he thought as a smirk lit his features. 'Especially when admitting to be wrong.' Duo looked around the room. 'If only Heero was here, everyone would be a lot more relaxed. He hasn't even responded to his usual missions. Wonder what it is about that girl that could keep "The Perfect Soldier" from a mission…'


Heero stared at Kat's face, willing her to wake up, for about the 10th time that hour.
"Damn it," Heero cursed quietly. After three days of no sign of waking up, Heero had almost given up on ever hearing Kat's voice again. He sighed and got up from his chair by her bed. He started pacing the room, not caring that he was wearing down the rug. 'Quatre has enough money to refurnish this entire mansion ten times over. I'm sure he doesn't care about one rug.' Heero thought.
He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he didn't notice as the air in the room started to take on a clouded look. The first thing that told him something was wrong was his sense of smell. The air smelled like someone had sprayed perfume all threw the room. This brought his thoughts back to the room. As he looked around he realized that it was almost like he was in a very light fog.
'Fumes… smoke… maybe, gas…' Heero thought as he ran over to Kat's bedside and picked her up. Each thought of what the stuff in the air might be was worst than the last, but he knew one thing for sure: he had to get them out of there.
He ran over to the door, with Kat in his arms, and tried to turn the knob. It wouldn't turn. He set Kat down, climbed onto the bed, and tried opening the windows. They wouldn't open either. Nor, for some extremely odd reason, would the glass break. They were trapped.
The effects of the gas were finally kicking in. Heero stumbled over to Kat, already starting to feel very light-headed. He pulled her to the corner and sat with her by his side, gun in his hand, ready to defend them against whoever had done this. But his efforts were futile.
In a matter of minutes, Heero had passed out. Leaning against the corner of the two walls, with Kat beside him, Heero could have no idea what he would soon be getting himself into.


Heero… Heero…Wake up, Heero…
Heero's eyes snapped open, and in less than a second he was to his feet, in a defensive position. But no one was there. He looked quickly around the white room for any signs of hostility. There were none that he could see.
I'm glad you're awake now.
Heero jumped. There was no one in the room as far as he could see. But the voice had sounded so close. There were no doors, windows, vents, or any kind of openings at all. All he could see was four pristine white walls, a pristine white ceiling, and a floor to match. Heero wondered how he had even gotten into the room. He also wondered how he was going to get out.
Thinking of how to leave already? You just got here.
Heero's eyes narrowed. "Who are you?" he half growled, half shouted. "How can you read my mind?"
No need to shout, Heero. I can hear you perfectly fine. As for who I am… well, I cannot tell you that just yet. And I can read your mind because you are in my world now.
Heero looked around the room and snorted. 'Such a great world,' thought Heero sarcastically.
You have not seen all of it. It is quite an impressive place. Do you have any other requests?
"Show yourself," commanded Heero.
A bright white light formed in front of Heero, as he shielded his eyes. As blinding as a newly born star, the light radiated a small amount of heat, before blossoming into a stunning ghostly figure. She looked almost exactly like Kat, with her hair grown down to her waist and her fair features. The only difference was that she seemed to be made of nothing but white light, except for her eyes that glowed a gentle silver color. She was wearing a long (white) dress that reached her ankles, and a pair of high-heeled shoes. She was absolutely stunning.
Heero gaped for a moment at the person, then, when he realized what he was doing, returned to his expressionless attitude. "Now that I can see you," Heero began," I want to leave. You had no right to begin me here in the first place. I must return. Now. "
The figure sighed and shook her head sadly.
Very well. I shall give you the option of leaving…
She waved her hand and a door opened in the wall. Heero started walking silently to the door, as a strange haunting music began to sound throughout the room. He had the strangest feeling like it was calling to him and telling him not to leave, but he ignored it and kept on walking. He was five feet from the door when the figure spoke again.
But Kat's calling you, Heero…Can't you hear her? She needs you're help.
Heero stopped dead in his tracks. He turned back to the figure, his eyes narrowing again. "What do you mean, 'She's calling me'," growled Heero. "How do you know Kat?"
The figure sighed again.
I am the spirit of Kat's subconsciousness. I have brought you here to ask of you a favor, a request for Kat.
"I'm listening…" replied Heero, not easing his glare.
I need you to free Kat. Her soul is being held within her own subconscious, against her will. As long as she is kept here, she will not wake in the conscious world. I fear that if she is not released soon, her soul will be destroyed, ultimately meaning her immediate death in the other world.
Heero felt something tighten in his chest again. "Her death?" Heero replied, somewhat in shock. "Where is this place?"
This is a world created by both of your subconsciousness'. It is a… dreamland, if you will. But the actions in this world are directly linked to the other world. You will feel the consequences of action, both here AND there. So I warn you to be careful, should you accept this quest.
Heero thought for a moment. He looked at the door behind him, and noticed something he didn't see before. Through the door he could see the room where he had passed out. He watched as Duo walked into the room, stopped as he noticed Heero and Kat, then suddenly dashed out of the room to get the others. Within half a minute, all of his friends were in the room, lifting his and Kat's limp bodies onto the bed. He could see Duo and Quatre crying. Trowa and Wufei just looked upset, but Heero knew that they were just as shaken up as the other two. After they had done all that they could do, he watched as Trowa walked over to Quatre, and hugged the small blonde in a gesture of comfort. Wufei did the same for Duo.
Heero felt a pang of guilt as he watched his friends. He had no idea when he might come back, if he came back at all. He wished he could tell them that he was ok.
"So," Heero started "If I complete this 'quest' and come back ok…" He gestured towards the door and his friends.
You shall wake up perfectly fine.
"And if I fail and die?" Heero continued.
You shall die in your sleep. And eventually Kat will follow.
Heero sighed. "Alright, I will complete this 'quest'," he replied.
The door behind Heero closed shut, leaving no trace of it even existing.
There are two more things that I must tell you about before you begin. Firstly, there will be an enemy that you must face when you find Kat. It shall be her worst fear, personified. Secondly, You will have to face three fears of your own, before you can face hers. You must prove yourself, before you are allowed to help her. Each fear shall have a room of its own and a task that you must face before you enter that room. Should you fail or die… you know the consequences. Do you still wish to continue?
Heero nodded. "I'll face these fears, and I'll find Kat. I've faced dozens of armed soldiers, battled armies of mobile suits, and looked death in the eye and I still live. This shouldn't be able to rival all of that."
The figure smiled.
I wish you good luck, Heero Yuy. Be careful. If you get lost, follow the song. Kat will help you.
Heero nodded again.
The figure waved her hand and another door opened quietly on the other side of the room.
Return here when you rescue Kat. If you can even reach her…
Heero nodded once more, ignoring the last part, as he walked silently through the door into the blinding whiteness beyond. He silently wondered what task would await him first.



To Be Continued…



Author's note - Well, finally got that finished ^.^ I apologize again for the long wait. My family went on vacation to my Aunt's and I had no time to write ^.^* I hope to be getting the next chapter out soon so please be patient. And don't forget to review! I want to know what you people want to happen, and what you think of the direction the story's taken. REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW!!!! Reviews = Encouragement. Are you following me here? The more reviews I get the faster I'll be able to type, and the sooner I'll be able to get this next chapter out. Ok? Thank you.

So go review already!!!

NEXT: The Labyrinth