Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Ultimate Sacrifice ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Warnings: yaoi, angst, AU, alternating POV's
Pairing:1x2, 1+R (nothing romantic though), implied 3+4
Disclaimer: Would I still be working if I owned GW?
Archive: GW on the Sanctuary Anywhere else, please ask first. Feedback: Send comments, good and bad, to lady_yaoi @ hotmail.com (remove spaces)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ultimate Sacrifice


AC 200
[Heero POV]

"I should get a fucking award for that performance. You owe me, Yuy!" Wufei's growl pulled my attention away from the heart-wrenching scene I was watching on the vid screen.

"You think he knew who, or what, he was working for?" Tired golden-colored fingers ran through black hair as Wufei shook his head before answering me. I was grateful my friend didn't comment or acknowledge the tear stains shining on my cheeks.

"No, I don't." Onyx eyes turned to me, and I could see a few unshed tears waiting to fall. I wasn't the only one affected by Duo's collapse. "Did you get what you wanted?"

"Hai," my voice is barely above a whisper. I got what I wanted - confirmation Relena was right. Now I needed to hear it from Duo; hear him say he still loves me, still needs me as much as I need him. That love is all that matters and each other is all either of us need.

Wufei slipped a keycard into my pocket. "Don't try driving back to the hotel. Use the VIP room upstairs." There was a trace of an emotion I couldn't identify in his voice.

I turn off the video cameras in the room before slipping in as quietly as I can. I want a few minutes to observe the broken figure of my love, rein in my own tears, gather my thoughts.

After all this time spent searching, it's not brute force that's brought Duo back to me but fate. An invisible force none of us can control... and that's how I find him. I wasn't even supposed to be on L1 with Wufei for this mission; my skills aren't necessary to interrogate people, run ID checks and the like. But Fate must have been the one who decided to give Timmons - the guy I'm filling in for - food poisoning at the last minute. Thank you Fate!

A choked sob from Duo pierces me, and I have to bite back one of my own. It won't do either of us any good if I break down too. Right now, I need to be strong... emotionally. Something I'm not adept at doing.

To me, Duo had been the strong one in our relationship. Sure, I had - still have - physical strength, but Duo was the one with the emotional strength. Gazing at the broken looking boy in front of me, I knew I'd have to summon that strength right now. Leaving me, living in what I can only assume has been a self-imposed exile for nearly three years must have taken every ounce of strength he possessed. I suppose it's a miracle my Duo is even still alive.

Gradually, his muffled sobs tapered to hitched breaths and I at last made my presence known. "I've missed you, Duo."

His tear-stained face jerked up roughly to face me; flat, wild-looking reddened violet eyes raked my upright form. It's a sight I'll never forget.

"Heero..." his voice was barely a whisper, but it shot through me. Hearing that sweet voice again was balm for my soul. "...alive. You're alive..."

I move to kneel beside him, gently resting a hand on the worn material covering his thigh. Slender fingers hesitantly reach for my cheek, grazing it lightly as if to physically confirm what his eyes are telling him. An instant after the first touch, Duo launched himself at me, sobbing and clinging to any part of me he can reach. Words, barely audible as his face was pressed to my chest, spilled from him, repeating over and over like a mantra - I'm sorry. Wrapping my arms tightly around him I responded with my own mantra; the words I should have spoken long ago - ai shiteru.

We stayed like that, huddled and clinging to each other on the cold floor, until exhaustion finally claimed Duo and threatened to do the same to me. Unwilling to wake the boy I held, I maneuvered us out of the room and upstairs to the VIP room Wufei had arranged for me... for us.

The tears I'd stopped earlier threatened to come back again when, as I lay my lost love on the bed beside me, he curled into me in the familiar way we used to sleep together. Despite our separation, our bodies - maybe our souls - remembered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TBC